2 from Riverdale

VWM

The Riverdale stations are both spotless (Riverdale & Spuyten Duyvil), but I notice that both suffer from what looks to be rusting materials. They could both use a little sprucing up on that end.

They don't look that bad.

Both stations looks soooooo hidden. Ludlow a maybe.

They don't look that bad.

Oh no, they look fine... I mean I used the Spuyten Duyvil station on Monday and it was spotless. I just think a few small touch ups to get rid of the rust issues I saw would help keep the station from needing major repairs down the road. As for looking so hidden, that's because they are. I don't know if you've used the shuttles that we have in Riverdale, but the paths to both stations are very woodsy looking. Quite nice to be honest. It's almost more like Westchester or Connecticut. Hard to believe you're in NYC.

I went there going to wave hill and it looked like I was on LI going back to the station...

Oh no, they look fine... I mean I used the Spuyten Duyvil station on Monday and it was spotless. I just think a few small touch ups to get rid of the rust issues I saw would help keep the station from needing major repairs down the road. As for looking so hidden, that's because they are. I don't know if you've used the shuttles that we have in Riverdale, but the paths to both stations are very woodsy looking. Quite nice to be honest. It's almost more like Westchester or Connecticut. Hard to believe you're in NYC.

Never been on the HR Link. But I have abd always walked (And used the KB routes to get there). Love walking, feels like hiking.

Walking on 254th Street to the RR Station, surely doesn't look like the Bronx lol. Looks more like Sleepy Hallow. And that Hill.... Dear god, that looks really steep. Its worst then Scarborough.

For the rust, never noticed. Might check that out!

I went there going to wave hill and it looked like I was on LI going back to the station...

Yeah, some spots will look like your not in the city.

Never been on the HR Link. But I have abd always walked (And used the KB routes to get there). Love walking, feels like hiking.

Walking on 254th Street to the RR Station, surely doesn't look like the Bronx lol. Looks more like Sleepy Hallow. And that Hill.... Dear god, that looks really steep. Its worst then Scarborough.

lol... I live at the bottom of a hill that continues to go downhill once you go around to Johnson Avenue, so I walk uphill every morning or take the stairs up by 232nd street or 236th street... This morning I was really out of it too because I was suffering from a hang over from drinking too much last night, so after the stairs then I have walk uphill some more, then downhill and then finish uphill before getting to the bus stop. Coming home is usually downhill so long as I avoid Riverdale Avenue, but either way I still have to schlepp up two flights of stairs before I even get to the front door of my apt. building then more stairs to get to the mailbox and two more flights of stairs to get to my apartment. I try not to think about it and just go up them. My first apt. in Italy was a 6 floor walk up. :lol:

lol... I live at the bottom of a hill that continues to go downhill once you go around to Johnson Avenue, so I walk uphill every morning or take the stairs up by 232nd street or 236th street... This morning I was really out of it too because I was suffering from a hang over from drinking too much last night, so after the stairs then I have walk uphill some more, then downhill and then finish uphill before getting to the bus stop. Coming home is usually downhill so long as I avoid Riverdale Avenue, but either way I still have to schlepp up two flights of stairs before I even get to the front door of my apt. building then more stairs to get to the mailbox and two more flights of stairs to get to my apartment. I try not to think about it and just go up them. My first apt. in Italy was a 6 floor walk up. :lol:

Going down is pretty much cool, but as long as you are careful. It would be nice for an outside escalator lol.

Ever been thru Fieldstone / 256th Street? Night time walking surely feels odd!

Going down is pretty much cool, but as long as you are careful. It would be nice for an outside escalator lol.

Ever been thru Fieldstone / 256th Street? Night time walking surely feels odd!

Well during the winter I walked from 261st and Riverdale down to Riverdale 236th and that was pretty nice. Since I've moved to Riverdale I haven't had the chance yet to go for walks, but it won't happen until it gets colder since I don't like being all sweaty walking around. I haven't been in Fieldston yet. The closest I've been to Fieldston is when I went to eat at An Bocht Beal over by Greystone.

Excellent photos and video :)

I wanna get some photos either there or Sputen Devil but I gotta figure out which one has the less steep walk back to the buses on Riverdale Ave

Why would you walk back to Riverdale Avenue when you can take the Hudson Rail Link?? If you have a Metrocard just dip that. It is $2.25 if you use a Pay-Per-Ride or you can get a ticket with a transfer to the shuttle bus or dip an unlimited Metrocard (the regular unlimited or the Express Bus Plus Metrocard, which I use). I took MetroNorth on Monday morning and Wednesday morning and used the shuttle bus. There are various pick up and drop off stops throughout Riverdale and Spuyten Duyvil. Note that they meet with the train.

If you're walking from Spuyten Duyvil trying to access the buses, then you need to walk to Kappock & Johnson for the express and local buses. Riverdale Avenue only becomes closer to MetroNorth as you head further north in Riverdale.

Here are the bus routes for both stations...

http://www.mta.info/...HRL_SPUYTEN.PDF

http://www.mta.info/...L_RIVERDALE.PDF

Note that the shuttle bus does NOT run on weekends and runs up until around 24:00 during the week.

Maybe you weren't aware of them because I don't think other neighborhoods have shuttle buses to MetroNorth, at least not in the city anyway.

Because I do 90% of my railfanning on Sunday.

Well then there are taxis back to Johnson & Riverdale Avenues... Quite frankly if you prefer to walk I think Johnson Avenue is closer to the Spuyten Duyvil station than Riverdale Avenue is to the Riverdale station. Note that there is no escaping the hills though because you'll have to walk uphill in Spuyten Duyvil as well to reach Johnson Avenue & Kappock, but it is not nearly as bad as the hills from the Riverdale station IMO.

Well then there are taxis back to Johnson & Riverdale Avenues... Quite frankly if you prefer to walk I think Johnson Avenue is closer to the Spuyten Duyvil station than Riverdale Avenue is to the Riverdale station. Note that there is no escaping the hills though because you'll have to walk uphill in Spuyten Duyvil as well to reach Johnson Avenue & Kappock, but it is not nearly as bad as the hills from the Riverdale station IMO.

from what i can tell sputen devil is an easier walk, riverdale looks diabolically steep and theres no sidewalks.

from what i can tell sputen devil is an easier walk, riverdale looks diabolically steep and theres no sidewalks.

If I were you I'd take the express bus to Kappock and Johnson get off and walk downhill to the Spuyten Duyvil station, this way you won't have to go uphill at all and you can fan or whatever and take MetroNorth back to the city without dealing with any hills.

If I were you I'd take the express bus to Kappock and Johnson get off and walk downhill to the Spuyten Duyvil station, this way you won't have to go uphill at all and you can fan or whatever and take MetroNorth back to the city without dealing with any hills.

I was planning on something similar, perhaps using a cityticket and going from Grand Central but going uphill anyway at sputen duyvil, probably in the fall when its not brutally hot outside.

I was planning on something similar, perhaps using a cityticket and going from Grand Central but going uphill anyway at sputen duyvil, probably in the fall when its not brutally hot outside.

SD isn't as bad compared to Riverdale / 254. Walking up the hill makes me feel like I need a rope and hiking supplies :P

Why would you walk back to Riverdale Avenue when you can take the Hudson Rail Link?? If you have a Metrocard just dip that. It is $2.25 if you use a Pay-Per-Ride or you can get a ticket with a transfer to the shuttle bus or dip an unlimited Metrocard (the regular unlimited or the Express Bus Plus Metrocard, which I use). I took MetroNorth on Monday morning and Wednesday morning and used the shuttle bus. There are various pick up and drop off stops throughout Riverdale and Spuyten Duyvil. Note that they meet with the train.

If you're walking from Spuyten Duyvil trying to access the buses, then you need to walk to Kappock & Johnson for the express and local buses. Riverdale Avenue only becomes closer to MetroNorth as you head further north in Riverdale.

Here are the bus routes for both stations...

http://www.mta.info/...HRL_SPUYTEN.PDF

http://www.mta.info/...L_RIVERDALE.PDF

Note that the shuttle bus does NOT run on weekends and runs up until around 24:00 during the week.

Maybe you weren't aware of them because I don't think other neighborhoods have shuttle buses to MetroNorth, at least not in the city anyway.

Wow never knew the Hudson Rail Link accepted regular unlimited metrocards

Archived