Brooklyn Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

B36 Via Ave U

Wanted to create a Brooklyn Bus Thread. First I was thinking, would a B36 LTD work, stoping at Nostrand/U, Nostrand/Z, Z/Ocean Ave, bypass the station, next stop CI AVE, then the hospital, West 5th/Neptune, Surf/Stilwell and it's last stop, also West 33rd/Mermaid Ave U bound, just an idea, open to criticism.

Also other ideas about SW Brooklyn bus routes as a whole.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

B36 is a busy route, but it's not right to be limited because of the shortness of this route!

What NX Express said, why in the world would you want the limited to skip the Sheepshead Bay Station? Bus stops near the stations are busy, so that's a really bad idea!

So no B36 routes can be limited!

I was thinking, would a B36 LTD work, stoping at Nostrand/U, Nostrand/Z, Z/Ocean Ave, bypass the station, next stop CI AVE, then the hospital, West 5th/Neptune, Surf/Stilwell and it's last stop, also West 33rd/Mermaid Ave U bound, just an idea, open to criticism.

Welcome aboard (B36);). Please introduce yourself in new members section when you can? I see you live in LI, did you live in Brooklyn near the '36" at one point?

Second i know the (B36) well as i used to live in CI/Sea Gate area at the West 37th Street gate. With that said, The (B36) does not need a limited. It needs better headways and even short trips i.e Sheepshead Station and West 37th during rush hours. If anything the (B3) and even the (B8) which are both busier crosstown routes needs it more.

A big factor in increasing B36 ridership was the cut of (B4) service to Knapp Street. That put more pressure on the "36" and reason it subject to more delays as the only east-west route connecting the Sheapshead road station with rest of Sheapshead Bay. So sorry gotta disagree. The B36 needs better and more frequent service along restoring at least all day weekday the (B4) to Knapp Street *first* before we talk about a 'limited."

Sorry gotta to disagree.

Welcome aboard (B36);). Please introduce yourself in new members section when you can? I see you live in LI, did you live in Brooklyn near the '36" at one point?

Second i know the (B36) well as i used to live in CI/Sea Gate area at the West 37th Street gate. With that said, The (B36) does not need a limited. It needs better headways and even short trips i.e Sheepshead Station and West 37th during rush hours. If anything the (B3) and even the (B8) which are both busier crosstown routes needs it more.

A big factor in increasing B36 ridership was the cut of (B4) service to Knapp Street. That put more pressure on the "36" and reason it subject to more delays as the only east-west route connecting the Sheapshead road station with rest of Sheapshead Bay. So sorry gotta disagree. The B36 needs better and more frequent service along restoring at least all day weekday the (B4) to Knapp Street *first* before we talk about a 'limited."

Sorry gotta to disagree.

I agree BUT I think select B36s could be made limited, similar to what they do with the M4 during rush hour. Just during the rush you could have some of them run limited. I mean think about it... Most of the B36 riders are folks coming from the subway so it would benefit them greatly to have a faster connection. Plus the folks from the B4 were left with only the B36 to get to the subway.

Definentlly, it was a mistake cuttin the 4, it should be 5-11 Monday through sat and 8-10 on Sunday, that would help the 36, and I really like the idea for the short run buses and as for me and Brooklyn, the36, and me living in Huntington, I go to Brooklyn all the time, every vacation and almost every weekend, I grew up on the 36, my first ride was in 2001 on the 36 on bus 9098. And I refer to Sheapshead Bay as my second home.

Definentlly, it was a mistake cuttin the 4, it should be 5-11 Monday through sat and 8-10 on Sunday, that would help the 36, and I really like the idea for the short run buses and as for me and Brooklyn, the36, and me living in Huntington, I go to Brooklyn all the time, every vacation and almost every weekend, I grew up on the 36, my first ride was in 2001 on the 36 on bus 9098. And I refer to Sheapshead Bay as my second home.

I grew up in Sheepshead Bay right by Avenue Z and could see the B36 from my window, so I'm very connected to the line as well. A real shame how the (MTA) has destroyed local bus service, ESPECIALLY in Southern Brooklyn. :mad: :tdown::tdown:

Yea, screwing the B4, the B2, reducing B36 service, 12-15 min weekend service is not enough, it should be every 10 Mins:mad: , and at the least, every other bus off peak for the 4 should go to sheepshead bay, and some form of Weekend Service for the B2, but the MTA wont listen.;) And its nice to find someone who's as connected to that line as I am.

Yea, screwing the B4, the B2, reducing B36 service, 12-15 min weekend service is not enough, it should be every 10 Mins:mad: , and at the least, every other bus off peak for the 4 should go to sheepshead bay, and some form of Weekend Service for the B2, but the MTA wont listen.;) And its nice to find someone who's as connected to that line as I am.

Yeah and the changing of the B1 and cutting back of the B64 as well amongst other reductions. :mad:

I don't know what's with the folks in South Brooklyn, but they don't say anything! :mad:

Ideally this is what the (B2) (B4) and (B36) should like.

(B4)Knapp Street service

weekdays 6am-11pm Saturdays 7am-11pm Sundays 8am-9pm

All other times at Sheapshead station

B2 restore Saturday service running every 15 minutes from appx. 8am-8pm.

B36 10 minute headways saturdays 11am-8pm and sundays 12 Noon-6pm.

Ideally this is what the (B2) (B4) and (B36) should like.

(B4)Knapp Street service

weekdays 6am-11pm Saturdays 7am-11pm Sundays 8am-9pm

All other times at Sheapshead station

B2 restore Saturday service running every 15 minutes from appx. 8am-8pm.

B36 10 minute headways saturdays 11am-8pm and sundays 12 Noon-6pm.

Those are all great Ideas, also the 1 and the 64 should go back to their old ways, or alteast let the 64 go to CI during the Rush Hour like the B4 goes to Knapp Street, now we need to get the Sheepshead Bay residents to SPEAK UP.

I have a friend who lives in Bay Ridge near the B63 saying that the B1 should go back to Bay Ridge-Shore Road. He told me that he can take that route to Brighton Beach without a transfer!

But I found out that more people ride the B1 to Bay Ridge-4th Avenue than Shore Road! One time I've rode the Xcelsior #4840, lot of people get off at 5th Av and the last stop, 4th Av! Believe me, that bus was packed!

In my opinion, I don't really know if the service should be changed on the B1 and B64! I don't live near both of those routes, but I just take the B8 to 86th St for the B1 or Bath Av for the B64!

I agree BUT I think select B36s could be made limited, similar to what they do with the M4 during rush hour. Just during the rush you could have some of them run limited. I mean think about it... Most of the B36 riders are folks coming from the subway so it would benefit them greatly to have a faster connection. Plus the folks from the B4 were left with only the B36 to get to the subway.

I don't think the B36 runs frequently enough for a limited, though. The MTA just converts some runs to limited runs, so you'd be screwing the local passengers by doing that.

Sorry gotta to disagree.

The B36 actually lost a little bit of ridership. If you think about it, if somebody comes from the subway station, it's not really worth waiting for the B36 just to go a few blocks and then walk down to Emmons Avenue. You're better off just walking directly home (and yes, I know it's a pretty long walk)

I have a friend who lives in Bay Ridge near the B63 saying that the B1 should go back to Bay Ridge-Shore Road. He told me that he can take that route to Brighton Beach without a transfer!

But I found out that more people ride the B1 to Bay Ridge-4th Avenue than Shore Road! One time I've rode the Xcelsior #4840, lot of people get off at 5th Av and the last stop, 4th Av! Believe me, that bus was packed!

In my opinion, I don't really know if the service should be changed on the B1 and B64! I don't live near both of those routes, but I just take the B8 to 86th St for the B1 or Bath Av for the B64!

Personally, I prefer a variation of BrooklynBus' plan:

* Keep the B1 as is (4th & 86th - KCC)

* The B64 gets rerouted back to 4th & 86th via 14th Avenue, Cropsey Avenue, 7th Avenue, and 86th Street (and gets extended back to CI)

* The B31 is extended via Avenue P, 65th Street, 13th Avenue and Bay Ridge Avenue to the current B64 terminal.

* The B16 is rerouted to remain straight along Fort Hamilton Parkway, and a new route is created to serve 13th/14th Avenue (say 4th & 86th - Church & McDonald)

It straightens out the routes in southern Brooklyn, and gives the southern part of Bay Ridge easy access to both Coney Island and Brighton Beach (I think 86th Street gets more ridership than Bay Ridge Avenue, whether it was the B1 or B64 serving it) It would also help boost ridership on the B31, and possibly justify an increase in service for all riders, including Gerritsen Beach riders.

I prefer 1 frequent route to 2 infrequent routes. So instead of the B2 and B100 running a block apart every 20 minutes, it would be better if they just ran on the same street every 10 minutes. That way, you just walk up to the street and don't have to worry about the bus, rather than having to time yourself for it.

So I'd prefer that the B2 get eliminated completely, but the buses would be used on the B100 instead.

Yes it should, but in case I didn't make it clear, I think it should go back there at all times.

Yea, without a doubt, this was by far up there with the worst cuts by the MTA, or mayb the (B64) could be Re-routed to go VIA 86th Street, if someone needs UP depot, take the (B3) or the (B82),(B82LTD) or the (B6) (B6LTD)at 86th STREET and Bay Pkway, (B64) should stay on 86th street from 13th Ave on, it would go all the way down 86th to Ave X, go via Ocean Pkway to Neptune, and Neptune to stillwell, mayb?

Edited by B36 Via Ave U

I prefer 1 frequent route to 2 infrequent routes. So instead of the B2 and B100 running a block apart every 20 minutes, it would be better if they just ran on the same street every 10 minutes. That way, you just walk up to the street and don't have to worry about the bus, rather than having to time yourself for it.

So I'd prefer that the B2 get eliminated completely, but the buses would be used on the B100 instead.

Wishful thinking but that wouldn't happen. If the (MTA) eliminated the B2, the service levels on the B100 wouldn't increase to what they should or if they did only temporarily just for them to go and reduce it.

Personally, I prefer a variation of BrooklynBus' plan:

* Keep the B1 as is (4th & 86th - KCC)

* The B64 gets rerouted back to 4th & 86th via 14th Avenue, Cropsey Avenue, 7th Avenue, and 86th Street (and gets extended back to CI)

* The B31 is extended via Avenue P, 65th Street, 13th Avenue and Bay Ridge Avenue to the current B64 terminal.

* The B16 is rerouted to remain straight along Fort Hamilton Parkway, and a new route is created to serve 13th/14th Avenue (say 4th & 86th - Church & McDonald)

since the site's been down, I've been working on my map.... all I basically gotta do is add text.... anyway, I have the:

- B1 remaining the same

- B4 running from knapp/voorhies to 86th/4th (via av z, via 86th)

- B64 running from mermaid bus loop to 86th/4th (via bath av, via VA hospital)

- B31 remaining the same

- B2 extended to Xaverian HS (via av P)

- B16 altered to serve ft. hamilton pkwy where it currently doesn't, also cut back to parkside (Q)

- and the "B23" running from ft hamilton pkwy/86th st to Rockaway Pkwy (L)

(via 13th/14th av's, via church av (F)(G), via cortelyou...)

there's other ideas I have, but I'll just list the ones relevant/related to your reply here....

-----------------------------

- As for a B36 LTD, nah, no dice.... south BK needs all the local service it can get right now; that's one of the last routes that needs to be skipping stops anywhere along its route....

- As for B64 making trips to CI during rush hour.... Well, I think that route should be reverted to serving mermaid loop in its totality.... the route as is, is just about useless....

- As for a B36 LTD, nah, no dice.... south BK needs all the local service it can get right now; that's one of the last routes that needs to be skipping stops anywhere along its route....

I don't question the need for the local service, but that doesn't mean that a few LTDs couldn't be added during rush hour to speed up the commutes of folks coming from the subway. It's not about the B36 meeting the LTD requirements, but about shortening the commutes of folks that have long commutes to South Brooklyn. That was the point I was making. Local service sucks esp. on the B36 due to bunching and I never understood why for a relatively short line there is so much bunching. They could do something similar to what is done on Staten Island with LTD service.