Brooklyn Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

B36 Via Ave U

37 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Yeah, that much is obvious.... Regardless, there's no point in creating a seasonal service to Coney Island... IDRC what mode it is.

LOL..... Good point.

This isn't exactly Six Flags & NJT's route #308 we're talking about here....

Or Asbury Park-Atlantic City Express 319. 

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Or Asbury Park-Atlantic City Express 319. 

*317 Asbury, 319 Atlantic City, but I get your point.

What's going on in Asbury is weird to me.... It's like they're trying to reinvent itself ike Peekskill is doing with the artsy-fartsy stuff, but much of nobody heads out there for that.... Those that do head out there during the summer, still mainly go there for the beach.....

As far as other seasonal services, you see how Beeline scaled back on its services to Playland..... There used to be one out of Pelham Bay Park & one out of Fordham (was the one I used to take)..... Now you pretty much gotta head up to Yonkers if you wanna ride a bus up there... Definitely can't be willy-nilly w/ drumming up summer/seasonal services.....

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

*317 Asbury, 319 Atlantic City, but I get your point.

What's going on in Asbury is weird to me.... It's like they're trying to reinvent itself ike Peekskill is doing with the artsy-fartsy stuff, but much of nobody heads out there for that.... Those that do head out there during the summer, still mainly go there for the beach.....

As far as other seasonal services, you see how Beeline scaled back on its services to Playland..... There used to be one out of Pelham Bay Park & one out of Fordham (was the one I used to take)..... Now you pretty much gotta head up to Yonkers if you wanna ride a bus up there... Definitely can't be willy-nilly w/ drumming up summer/seasonal services.....

Let’s see how the Bx12 to Orchard Beach scales out this summer.  Also, Nassau scales back on the Jones Beach specials also  something to look at  

I always get the Asbury Park and AC Express buses mixed up. 

4 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

The same way there’s no express bus service to Orchard Beach direct. No need for a useless resource like this. I wouldn’t want to pay almost 14 dollars round trip to Coney Island. (Not that dirty area of Brooklyn). No thanks! 

If there was an increased demand for CI express service, adding X28 buses would be a better idea.

2 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

If there was an increased demand for CI express service, adding X28 buses would be a better idea.

Honestly, I don’t want to be the person to shut down an idea but in this case. The job of an express bus is to shuttle persons travel to and from the central business district and not the beach.  So in plain English. No X28 service to Coney Island beaches. You have the (D)(Q)(F)(N) trains for that. 

5 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Honestly, I don’t want to be the person to shut down an idea but in this case. The job of an express bus is to shuttle persons travel to and from the central business district and not the beach.  So in plain English. No X28 service to Coney Island beaches. You have the (D)(Q)(F)(N) trains for that. 

I wasn't saying that that had to happen. I was just saying to increase service if there were more demand. That won't be happening if there isn't demand.

Also, express buses can be used for things other than commuting. The QM16 is a much better example of this since if it had weekend service, people would use it to get to the Rockaways in the summer due to the garbage (A) train headways plus 15-minute (S) train headways to the Rockaways in the summer.

Edited by Lil 57

11 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

I wasn't saying that that had to happen. I was just saying to increase service if there were more demand. That won't be happening if there isn't demand.

Also, express buses can be used for things other than commuting. The QM16 is a much better example of this since if it had weekend service, people would use it to get to the Rockaways in the summer due to the garbage (A) train headways plus 15-minute (S) train headways to the Rockaways in the summer.

11 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

11 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

That’s the primary point of express buses, but they definitely serve other purposes. Look at the BxM2 on weekends... Plenty of people use it to go shopping, go to Lincoln Center, etc.

12 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

Yeah, but you aren't going to get much of anyone willing to backtrack, or otherwise head over to Manhattan to catch the QM16 to go to a beach.... That is wishful thinking & not all that realistic to expect.....

For it to even have a chance to attract enough beachgoers on weekends, it would have to be 1] open door & 2] make stops at Woodhaven (J) & Rockaway Blvd (A) at minimum...

13 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Yeah, but you aren't going to get much of anyone willing to backtrack, or otherwise head over to Manhattan to catch the QM16 to go to a beach.... That is wishful thinking & not all that realistic to expect.....

For it to even have a chance to attract enough beachgoers on weekends, it would have to be 1] open door & 2] make stops at Woodhaven (J) & Rockaway Blvd (A) at minimum...

Usually people from Manhattan would be using the QM16 but haveing some stops in Queens would help. 

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

Any sort of weekend express bus service in the Rockaways would focus on Neponsit and Belle Harbor which is what we would like set up. Lots of QM16 riders in my group.

29 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Any sort of weekend express bus service in the Rockaways would focus on Neponsit and Belle Harbor which is what we would like set up. Lots of QM16 riders in my group.

Which is the point.... Catering to commuters, not beach goers.

On 5/1/2019 at 10:02 AM, B35 via Church said:

Which is the point.... Catering to commuters, not beach goers.

There is a demand for beach service which is why you have vans in the summer for about $6 from Riis to Barclays. (Express buses don’t only have to go to Manhattan.) There are also enough Manhattan users without the need for anyone to backtrack to Manhattan. It just has to be set up efficiently so it only runs on beach days. 

54 minutes ago, BrooklynBus said:

There is a demand for beach service which is why you have vans in the summer for about $6 from Riis to Barclays. (Express buses don’t only have to go to Manhattan.)

There isn't a demand for having a commuter express (QM16) run on weekends to cater to beach goers in the Rockaways...
(which is what the immediate discussion is centered around)

Nobody is questioning the demand for beach service in general, nor is anyone conveying that express buses have to go to Manhattan..... Both of those are separate topics...

54 minutes ago, BrooklynBus said:

There are also enough Manhattan users without the need for anyone to backtrack to Manhattan.....

Yeah, predicated on what?

Edited by B35 via Church

40 minutes ago, BrooklynBus said:

There is a demand for beach service which is why you have vans in the summer for about $6 from Riis to Barclays. (Express buses don’t only have to go to Manhattan.) There are also enough Manhattan users without the need for anyone to backtrack to Manhattan. It just has to be set up efficiently so it only runs on beach days. 

Leave that for the vans. NYCT (MTA) has no business to produce such service. The trains are the best way to go for the beaches, Brooklyn, Bronx and Rockaways  

If there was better marketing for the B1, B49, B64 and B74 for the Brooklyn Beaches and Bx12, Bx29 for Orchard Beach for the summer customers would be inclined to use the bus alternate. 

However, I’m not paying 6.75 each way to any of these dirty beaches, and speaking about beaches and express bus. The BxM8 City Island-Pelham Bay Express gets you the closest to Orchard Beach 🏖. 

4 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Leave that for the vans. NYCT (MTA) has no business to produce such service. The trains are the best way to go for the beaches, Brooklyn, Bronx and Rockaways  

If there was better marketing for the B1, B49, B64 and B74 for the Brooklyn Beaches and Bx12, Bx29 for Orchard Beach for the summer customers would be inclined to use the bus alternate. 

However, I’m not paying 6.75 each way to any of these dirty beaches, and speaking about beaches and express bus. The BxM8 City Island-Pelham Bay Express gets you the closest to Orchard Beach 🏖. 

Yeah, let those private services do what they do..... I have no problem with any private service exploiting, or otherwise catering to some market....

I mean let's be real here.... NYC is many things, but known for its beaches, it is not... I'm not seeing this need to start running, or catering express services to, or for, any of the beaches in this city... I'm inclined to agree with your sentiment, intra-city residents can take local services to these beaches & have it be called a day...

As you referred to in an earlier post, let NJ run all those services to their respective beaches.... That state is far more known for its beaches anyway....

47 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Yeah, predicated on what?

There wouldn’t be private vans if they weren’t making a profit. People are willing to pay more to save 2/3 of their travel time and to be more comfortable. The existing service is inadequate.

20 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Yeah, let those private services do what they do..... I have no problem with any private service exploiting, or otherwise catering to some market....

I mean let's be real here.... NYC is many things, but known for its beaches, it is not... I'm not seeing this need to start running, or catering express services to, or for, any of the beaches in this city... I'm inclined to agree with your sentiment, intra-city residents can take local services to these beaches & have it be called a day...

As you referred to in an earlier post, let NJ run all those services to their respective beaches.... That state is far more known for its beaches anyway....

41 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

No problem with the private services doing that if they were legal. As far as better marketing, have you seen how crowded the beach services are and how unreliable they can be? On a hot day you can wait an hour or more for a bus because they are too crowded. When was the last time you were in the Rockaways? It is very popular for millennials. More would come if the beaches were easier to get to.

33 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

The better marketing point is spot on, but that would also mean MTA would have to a] actually publish the specific trips and times in the schedules, and b] actually ensure those trips operate. Both would also include monitoring customer usage, and adjusting those accordingly. When they add the Riis coverage, it is still half-assed, because a bus gets loaded (with people still waiting) and people don't want to wait for the next one because the headway is insufficient. (So, let's clog the street with the additional cars -- the vicious cycle continues.)

As to the $6.75 -- concur (even though weekends would be at off-peak, but still). Better to capture more customers through the locals. The Express Bus customer base is already using private cars (or maybe "dealing with" the subway/locals) if they're going to the beaches.

12 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

But once again, actually have regular local services available, and not do them as an afterthought.

1 minute ago, BrooklynBus said:

There wouldn’t be private vans if they weren’t making a profit. People are willing to pay more to save 2/3 of their travel time and to be more comfortable. The existing service is inadequate.

No problem with the private services doing that if they were legal. As far as better marketing, have you seen how crowded the beach services are and how unreliable they can be? On a hot day you can wait an hour or more for a bus because they are too crowded. When was the last time you were in the Rockaways? It is very popular for millennials. More would come if the beaches were easier to get to.

I travel to the Rockaways all the time sir, and yes it’s a pretty hip spot. However, if you don’t have the Q22, Q35 schedules to meet the demand people like myself will drive to the Rockaways. 

PS: When I worked at JFK I’d travel through the Rockaways and Inwood to reach to work if the Belt was jammed up. 

Also with the bus service (A) train demand and Far Rockaway, Hewlett LIRR stations also have to meet the demand for the Rockaway beaches. 🏖 

52 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

I travel to the Rockaways all the time sir, and yes it’s a pretty hip spot. However, if you don’t have the Q22, Q35 schedules to meet the demand people like myself will drive to the Rockaways. 

PS: When I worked at JFK I’d travel through the Rockaways and Inwood to reach to work if the Belt was jammed up. 

Also with the bus service (A) train demand and Far Rockaway, Hewlett LIRR stations also have to meet the demand for the Rockaway beaches. 🏖 

One thing about Rockaway is other than Riis Park there is no place to park in the Rockaways. It seems that the few spots there are are occupied all weekend by residents. When I took the bus there, I never saw anyone leave or park a car. Where did you park? 

5 minutes ago, BrooklynBus said:

One thing about Rockaway is other than Riis Park there is no place to park in the Rockaways. It seems that the few spots there are are occupied all weekend by residents. When I took the bus there, I never saw anyone leave or park a car. Where did you park? 

Good news is that I have family and friends in Arverne and Rockaway Beach. Yes, that is correct tons of residents are parked in their usual spots on the weekends thus the no parking. However, you gotta be there early in the day. Forget about nights and near the marina. 

As for the transportation element: There needs to be more frequent bus service to the beaches via the Q22, Q52/Q53SBS. 

1 minute ago, Future ENY OP said:

Good news is that I have family and friends in Arverne and Rockaway Beach. Yes, that is correct tons of residents are parked in their usual spots on the weekends thus the no parking. However, you gotta be there early in the day. Forget about nights and near the marina. 

As for the transportation element: There needs to be more frequent bus service to the beaches via the Q22, Q52/Q53SBS. 

What about the Q35 or a second route over the Marine Parkway Bridge? 

1 minute ago, BrooklynBus said:

What about the Q35 or a second route over the Marine Parkway Bridge? 

Q35 definitely. The 2nd route I’d suggest would be the Q22. However, I would only extend the 22 only to the Junction for the beach season and certain AM/PM rush hours. 

3 minutes ago, BrooklynBus said:

This also applies to the Brooklyn Redesign, so I am also posting it here.

Will Queens Bus Redesign really speed things up?

Today's Queens Times Ledger.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjLF7UGvRJvZrCyoGObpZ20bu_cz

Isn't there an electronic version? This one is cut off and hard to read.

17 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Isn't there an electronic version? This one is cut off and hard to read.

Yes it would be hard or impossible to read on a phone but it shouldn't be cut off. I am waiting for them to publish a link. Hopefully they will by the end of the day. Will post it when I see it or else I will crop the page to half so it might be easier to read.