Brooklyn Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

B36 Via Ave U

On November 1, 2017 at 10:48 PM, darrianQ60 said:

Can anybody tell me why the b16 doesnt run on fort Hamilton parkway to caton ave instead of turning off at 56 st and 14 ave.

When the B16 began operation in the 1930s, there was no bridge over the trains at 62 Street. Maimonides Hospital was also a very small hospital at the time so the need wasn't that great at the time. You had a trolley on the lower portion of 13 Avenue to serve the 69 Street ferry. The purpose of creating new bus lives in the 1930s was to fill the gaps not served by trolleys and that is exactly what the B16 did. 

Today the needs are very different. The MTA refuses to spend the money needed to serve the needs of today's residents. 

This was an integral part of the Southwest Brooklyn changes I proposed at the Department of City Planning in 1975. It was not included in the 1978 changes because the MTA said it would cost too much. (The community was in favor of a through Ft Hamilton Parkway route with a new route on 13 Avenue.) But they have the millions needed for Select Bus Service. 

In July 2004, members of Community Board 12 once again asked for through Ft Hamilton Parkway service and it once again was denied because the MTA has no interest in really improving bus service. The start these ridiculous unpopular shuttles at 30 minute headways just to give the impression that they are doing some planning to improve bus service. 

On November 2, 2017 at 1:02 AM, darrianQ60 said:

;)wow i was proposing some ideas but not sure if it would work  but i was thinking they should make the b16 run the whole route on fort Hamilton parkway and create a new route on 13 ave and 14 ave the b34 

The b34 would run from kensington where it would share terminals with b69 and b67 and terminate at  bensonhurst since they buliding a target and other little things at ceasers bay shopping center.                 

Southbound b34.            

Up mcdonald ave.     

Left on chruch ave.    

Right on 36 st.           

Left on 13 ave.        

Left on 86 st.         

Right on 14 ave. 

Left on cropsey ave.        

Right on bay parkway  terminate on otherside of bay parkway by the wendys.

Northbound b34    

Up bay parkway 

Left on cropsey ave 

Right on 14 ave 

Left on 86 st

Right on 13 ave 

Right on 60st 

Left on 14 ave merge onto chruch ave

Right on mcdonald ave to cortelyou rd.      

And i also thought b3 should extend to ceaser bay shopping center by continuing on

25 ave to cropsey ave.

And left on bay parkway terminate by wendys

Northbound b3 

Up Bay parkway 

Right on cropsey 

Left on 25 ave and continue regular route

I know there is no demands for this but just a idea i was thinking it could fail or maybe be decent to just get by 

I haven't looked at your proposal but check out mine at http://Brooklynbus.tripod.com

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What are y’all opinions on two new Brooklyn-Queens routes ?

B16

Canarsie pier - Woodhaven Blvd and cooper Ave (mall area)

via Rockaway Av/pwky and cooper Ave 

B22

Brooklyn Bridge pier 6 - Jamaica terminal 

via Atlantic Ave 

Leave ur opinion down below on what you think . 

Fleet

depot 

And other concerns

19 minutes ago, Kingjunior34 said:

B16

B22

via Atlantic Ave 

Fleet

depot 

And other concerns

I think the B16 could work, it's certainly an interesting proposal. My only problem is that it's basically the B60 and B42 into one route with an extension to Queens, and I'm not sure if there's such a high demand for people wanting to go from Canarsie to Atlas Mall, especially when Gateway Center is probably a lot closer for people in Brooklyn.

As for the B22, I don't see it working too well, since it's basically just a combination of the B25 (which runs 1-2 blocks away from your proposed routing) and the Q24 (which follows most of the eastern portion of your route). Not to mention that traffic along Atlantic Avenue can be terrible at times. Plus, there's the problem with the actual demand for the route. If a lot of people transfer from the Q24 to the B25 or vice versa, then I'd say that this route could probably work but that's not the case. You also have the (A) and the (J) running parallel to both the B25 and Q24 respectively, and to your proposed route as well, so if people did want the commute from Pier 6 to Jamaica, I'm sure most people would rather just take the train.

35 minutes ago, LegoBrickBreaker101 said:

I think the B16 could work, it's certainly an interesting proposal. My only problem is that it's basically the B60 and B42 into one route with an extension to Queens, and I'm not sure if there's such a high demand for people wanting to go from Canarsie to Atlas Mall, especially when Gateway Center is probably a lot closer for people in Brooklyn.

As for the B22, I don't see it working too well, since it's basically just a combination of the B25 (which runs 1-2 blocks away from your proposed routing) and the Q24 (which follows most of the eastern portion of your route). Not to mention that traffic along Atlantic Avenue can be terrible at times. Plus, there's the problem with the actual demand for the route. If a lot of people transfer from the Q24 to the B25 or vice versa, then I'd say that this route could probably work but that's not the case. You also have the (A) and the (J) running parallel to both the B25 and Q24 respectively, and to your proposed route as well, so if people did want the commute from Pier 6 to Jamaica, I'm sure most people would rather just take the train.

For the B16 I doubt that people would be on the bus from end to end , however as it head north it’s would get fuller and fuller due to people wanted to head towards queens from rockaway and cooper Aves

4 hours ago, Kingjunior34 said:

For the B16 I doubt that people would be on the bus from end to end , however as it head north it’s would get fuller and fuller due to people wanted to head towards queens from rockaway and cooper Aves

Why not use the B20 or the B60 and transfer to a Queens route heading towards your destination?  That's if your starting point for the trip is around Rockaway Avenue/ Fulton Street or the Broadway Junction area. If you're further south along Rockaway Parkway/ Avenue  why not use the (L) from the terminal and transfer to a Queens route heading towards your destination?  Just asking. Carry on. 

On 11/26/2017 at 5:51 PM, Kingjunior34 said:

B16

B22

via Atlantic Ave 

What specific service problem would these routes solve? 

• 3 weeks later...

I propose the B41 bergen beach branch to be a new bus route called the B40 and it just makes local stops from Bergan Beach to Flatbush Junction. 

That way instead during the weekdays at rush hour there aren't delays our overcrowding on buses for those who are going to that area. 

On 12/14/2017 at 8:58 PM, Brillant93 said:

I propose the B41 bergen beach branch to be a new bus route called the B40 and it just makes local stops from Bergan Beach to Flatbush Junction. 

That way instead during the weekdays at rush hour there aren't delays our overcrowding on buses for those who are going to that area. 

I would keep the current route with some short turns during the rush hour. However, I do fully agree with renaming the Bergen Beach branch the B40.

Today I decided to venture to Staten Island and do some Christmas shopping at the mall. So I took the B46 sbs from my area to crown heights to catch the 4 train to Atlantic and the R to bay ridge. I took the S79 sbs and I could tell you that I wasn't impressed by the service. To me it was very overcrowded for its occupancy, just swiping your metrocard just took more time to get the bus going, and the buses didn't seem very well maintained. The trip back wasn't any better, it was worse. It snowed but I doubt it would have affected much but the bus was packed to the rim. I couldn't help but think how could the MTA have the S79 as an example of SBS when its really not? Getting back to bay ridge the line for the bus back to SI was around the corner and that 40 footer bus couldn't handle crowd. And I thought the B82 had it bad. 

But not only that but the other bus routes going to SI was overcrowded. I ask myself all the time how could the MTA let things like this get so bad? I mean these types of routes need articulated buses because many people try to get home and often they have to wait for a few buses to let them on. I understand that if all the routes that were overcrowded was articulated it would mean less buses but I think thats the point. The more so a bus can handle the crowds the much easier it would be for a passenger to get on a bus without letting 4 or 5 crowded buses pass them. Its truly uncomfortable when you have people packed in the bus like sardines. The mta should have focused more so on making people feel comfortable and transit accessible. 

The S79 was one of the worst bus routes I have ever taken. 

If it were only that simple....

Currently, Bergen Beach trips run to Cadman Plaza.... Kings Plaza trips also run to Cadman Plaza...

To have a "B40" extracted from the B41 to run between the Junction & Bergen Beach would either screw too many riders north of the Junction, and/or have too many trips running to Kings Plaza.

Edited by B35 via Church

On 11/28/2017 at 5:35 PM, Gotham Bus Co. said:

What specific service problem would these routes solve? 

On 11/26/2017 at 5:51 PM, Kingjunior34 said:

B16

B22

via Atlantic Ave 

Fleet

depot 

And other concerns

There's already a B16. It runs between Lefferts Gardens and Fort Hamilton.  The B22 is today's Q24. I don't see any problems solved by creating these routes

I made a B30 bus. It runs from the L train Rockaway Parkway station to Flatbush avenue train station on the 2 and 5 train. This route would help elevate the overcrowding on the B6 and 103 routes. 

It would go along Farragut Rd and merge with the B6 bus along Glenwood in which it would then terminate there. I would hope it could terminate by brooklyn college so it would give those passengers who are going there or to midwood high school a better option to travel. 

https://imgur.com/a/TxgyY

Edited by Brillant93

1 hour ago, Brillant93 said:

I made a B30 bus. It runs from the L train Rockaway Parkway station to Flatbush avenue train station on the 2 and 5 train. This route would help elevate the overcrowding on the B6 and 103 routes. 

It would go along Farragut Rd and merge with the B6 bus along Glenwood in which it would then terminate there. I would hope it could terminate by brooklyn college so it would give those passengers who are going there or to midwood high school a better option to travel. 

I think you'd just be better off with more B6 short-turns between Canarsie & Flatbuah. I would personally cover the area up by Farragut Rd with an extended revived B23.

4 hours ago, Brillant93 said:

Crowding sucks, but that doesn't mean we should go about concocting redundant new routes as a form of alleviation.... For starters, this route of yours would do little to nothing for the B103 - as folks taking that route from the Junction tend to start disembarking, at minimum, at Utica... Heading towards the Junction, after Utica, it doesn't get too much ridership until it hits the Junction itself - which is why riders prefer it over the B6 LTD (of the masses that utilize it b/w Flatlands/E. 80th & Utica/Av. H).... As for the B6, if this route of yours were to go about taking much of anyone off of it, the best chance would be from the B6 local.... I see your "B30" being quicker than the B6 local, but less useful for more B6 riders... e.g, it wouldn't really be worth it if I lived on the other side of Flatlands av (towards Av. J) to walk up to Farragut to catch a bus heading & ending at the Junction....

See here... The B103 takes riders up from off the B6.... To justify its existence, you would have to have your "B30" of sorts compete w/ the B103 in that aspect & I don't see that remotely happening... Then we get into service levels & what not, where you really won't have a shot of accomplishing too much of anything....

There is a common theme with these past 2 proposals of yours.... Generally speaking, routes aren't created to address overcrowding, they're created to cater to new or different markets....

2 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

I think you'd just be better off with more B6 short-turns between Canarsie & Flatbush....

I'm content with the fact that they've gone on to having more B6 trips take on the Coney Island av - Canarsie (L) service pattern.... About a year or two ago, they did away with those (scheduled) trips that emanated at Glenwood/Nostrand av (which only ran as far east as the Glenwood Houses IINM)... If there was anything that was as wasteful as they were useful (lol), those trips were it....

But if it came down to the two options, it makes more fiscal (and common, IMO) sense to have a B6 setup to run b/w Canarsie (L) & Flatbush av, than it would be to create a brand new route a block or two away to address overcrowding....

Edited by B35 via Church

That is exactly what the MTA is proposing but are calling it the B91 and it would run only during rush hours.

On 12/17/2017 at 8:22 PM, Kingjunior34 said:

Why don’t some or even all 103 terminate at the E 105 Street station , I lot of people would utilize this connection to get from there house to the L train quicker and with out transferring to the 6,17,42,82

I will say this. I particularly agree with having some short turns at 105th and Farragut for access to the (L) train. But what can also be done is that once the 103 leaves Williams Avenue it should make a short right on East 108th. Than left on Farragut Road to East 105 for the access to the (L) train than continue up East 105 street for corresponding stops on the 103. 

On 8/24/2017 at 10:56 PM, aemoreira81 said:

As for the B6 getting artics, if Ulmer Park can't fit them, it's really going to be hard to get them on without restructuring the B6 or splitting the upcoming B82 SBS into a north and south route (replacing the B6 LTD with a B82N SBS, which would see the B82 Local moved to Ulmer Park). The problem, however, is that the B6 Local becomes a long slow route, as nothing else is coverage within Bensonhurst.

I'd say our bus system needs a major overhaul in routes. I think there should be a route I made called the B30. It would run along Farragut rd from the Rockaway parkway station to flatbush junction. Its literally straight through. That's what we're missing in our bus system. There's way too many turns for our buses to get to where they need to go on time. I think its pretty much ridiculous that the rockaway parkway station is just blocked off by the area its in. To make it worst the terminus for the buses is a very tight squeeze. I think the MTA needs to buy that lot and build a bigger terminus and train station for passengers. Also build a bigger garage in place for the parking lot. 

But who knows, construction would even provide more delays. 

On 12/21/2017 at 10:44 PM, Brillant93 said:

I'd say our bus system needs a major overhaul in routes. I think there should be a route I made called the B30. It would run along Farragut rd from the Rockaway parkway station to flatbush junction. Its literally straight through. That's what we're missing in our bus system. There's way too many turns for our buses to get to where they need to go on time. I think its pretty much ridiculous that the rockaway parkway station is just blocked off by the area its in. To make it worst the terminus for the buses is a very tight squeeze. I think the MTA needs to buy that lot and build a bigger terminus and train station for passengers. Also build a bigger garage in place for the parking lot. 

But who knows, construction would even provide more delays. 

The bus network across the boroughs needs to be re-structured to address antiquity.... You on the other hand, seem to believe that the lack of a grid network is what's crippling our bus routes & it couldn't be any further from the truth..... Straighter routes city-wide is only going to make buses that much more useless; it's enough that riders have to make as many xfers within the subway system before and/or after having came off some bus as it is & it's not going to be tolerated by having them induced & introduced into the bus network....

Nobody's exactly advocating for a bunch of B13's, Bx10's, and Q39's in the network as they are, but seriously, tell B103, Bx36, S79, M9, and Q58 riders that a bunch of straight routes is missing in our system.....

Your rhetoric is flawed.

1 hour ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

I disagree with local and SBS routes having the same number....

Give SBS routes their own number & people are going to be made more confused....

Edited by B35 via Church
post combination