Brooklyn Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

B36 Via Ave U

On the subject of deadheads in southern Brooklyn:

I was in the neighborhood today (decided to take a walk because it was nice out) and ended up at 5th and 95th and decided to take the B63 back because it was getting dark.

I saw three B63s going down to Shore Road and the next bus back up was scheduled for 5:30. Instead what actually happened was two of the buses went up 4th not in service at 5:30 and the actual B63 didn't show until 5:36.

Meanwhile a full bus load of people are standing in the cold three stops up at 86th on 15 minute headways (when it actually follows the schedule). At least one of those deadheads could do a partial trip to 39th and 5th and pick up some revenue instead of just going up 4th and not picking up anyone. We certainly had the passenger volume for another bus.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

Meanwhile a full bus load of people are standing in the cold three stops up at 86th on 15 minute headways (when it actually follows the schedule). At least one of those deadheads could do a partial trip to 39th and 5th and pick up some revenue instead of just going up 4th and not picking up anyone. We certainly had the passenger volume for another bus.

I swear Brooklyn buses are the worst. I don't take the B63 (mostly due to its close proximity with the (R) ), but this happens on the :bus_bullet_b8: so often right under everyone's face.

8 minutes ago, lara8710 said:

Could the B8 benefit from LTD service?

Meh, only if you need to fast travel but most people don't. But what I'm saying has nothing to do with LTD service, just the fact that some trips are going missing... also BUS BUNCHING. 3 buses were being bunched together today, although the spacing in between buses should have been 12 minutes. Because of those headways also, limited service is pretty much unfeasible.

As I mentioned once before, the MTA discontinued B8 service to Canarsie Plaza in 1995 due to insufficient rider demand. Though I would keep my B66 route proposal as it is, one adjustment I would make is to terminate early morning and late evening buses at Kings Highway and Beverly Road (mimicking BrooklynBus's original B21 proposal), while daytime and early evening buses would continue toward Canarsie Plaza.

Edited by lara8710

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2019 at 11:26 AM, JeremiahC99 said:

Also we can extend Staten Island routes (S53/93, S79) from 86th Street to the 59th Street Express station to give SI residents another train to access instead of the (R) train if that line has problems. Would that work?

I had a realization. The B70 goes to Fort Hamilton/92 to pick up/drop off most people that are going to 8 Av. I would propose a route (perhaps an S93 extension) to the 8 Av (N) station to minimize transfers. Now, if we really wanted to minimize transfers, we would go beyond 62 St since most people probably go beyond there, but I would just extend it to 8 Av mainly for overall reliability purposes and it would be the main transfer point from the (N) in case something happens with the (R) . (In this case also, the B70 wouldn't really need to go to Fort Hamilton Pkwy and could just stay on 7 Av).

Proposed route: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Cw6EY4u1NB9Pou-Fs8Xq5CCt93HTUd6o&usp=sharing

Brooklyn stops: 

8 Av/62 St (N)

Bay Ridge Av/8 Av

Bay Ridge Pkwy/8 Av

Ft Hamilton Pkwy/86 St

Ft Hamilton Pkwy/92 St, normal route

Edited by Bay Ridge Express

1 minute ago, Bay Ridge Express said:

I had a realization. The B70 goes to Fort Hamilton/92 to pick up/drop off most people that are going to 8 Av. I would propose a route (perhaps an S93 extension) to the 8 Av (N) station to minimize transfers. Now, if we really wanted to minimize transfers, we would go beyond 62 St since most people probably go beyond there, but I would just extend it to 8 Av mainly for overall reliability purposes and it would be the main transfer point from the (N) in case something happens with the (R) .

Proposed route: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Cw6EY4u1NB9Pou-Fs8Xq5CCt93HTUd6o&usp=sharing

That's a nice idea, but how would the S93 turn around at 8th Avenue under your proposal? Also, I would extend it to 60th Street for an easier connection to the B9 as well.

6 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

That's a nice idea, but how would the S93 turn around at 8th Avenue under your proposal? Also, I would extend it to 60th Street for an easier connection to the B9 as well.

If we're going to extend it to 60 St, I would do (N/B) right on 60 St, then right on Ft Hamilton Pkwy, and right on 65 back to 8 Av. 7 Av is a bit shorter to use but I'm afraid it might interfere with the "bike lane" there.

2 hours ago, Bay Ridge Express said:

I had a realization. The B70 goes to Fort Hamilton/92 to pick up/drop off most people that are going to 8 Av. I would propose a route (perhaps an S93 extension) to the 8 Av (N) station to minimize transfers. Now, if we really wanted to minimize transfers, we would go beyond 62 St since most people probably go beyond there, but I would just extend it to 8 Av mainly for overall reliability purposes and it would be the main transfer point from the (N) in case something happens with the (R) . (In this case also, the B70 wouldn't really need to go to Fort Hamilton Pkwy and could just stay on 7 Av).

Brooklyn stops: 

8 Av/62 St (N)

Bay Ridge Av/8 Av

Bay Ridge Pkwy/8 Av

Ft Hamilton Pkwy/86 St

Ft Hamilton Pkwy/92 St, normal route

8th Avenue station has a 7th Avenue entrance. Also, I'm not sure the S93 is the best route to be extended. Reliability concerns aside, extending the S53 or S79 would likely help more commutes than the S93.

Also, don't forget that this idea is more complicated than simply running one of the SI routes up 4th Avenue to 59th Street.

13 hours ago, Bay Ridge Express said:

I had a realization. The B70 goes to Fort Hamilton/92 to pick up/drop off most people that are going to 8 Av.

....I would propose a route (perhaps an S93 extension) to the 8 Av (N) station to minimize transfers.

Going on these 2 factors alone, I'm not seeing what you're attempting to address with your idea, in conjunction with the realization you claim to have came to (as they have nothing to do with each other)....

....that is, until I stumbled onto this little nugget:

(In this case also, the B70 wouldn't really need to go to Fort Hamilton Pkwy and could just stay on 7 Av).

...and lose ridership in the process.

The S93, or either of the other two SI-Brooklyn routes shouldn't be compromised like that - especially for a zero-sum proposition involving another route....

Edited by B35 via Church

1 minute ago, B35 via Church said:

I'm not seeing what you're attempting to address with your idea, in conjunction with the realization you claim to have came to....

I'm addressing the fact that I see that most B70 riders I see go to 92 to transfer to SI buses. An SI bus going straight to 8 Av would not only minimize the need for that transfer but also provide a direct connection with the (N) in case people would rather use it instead of transferring to the (R) . 

8 minutes ago, Bay Ridge Express said:

I'm addressing the fact that I see that most B70 riders I see go to 92 to transfer to SI buses. An SI bus going straight to 8 Av would not only minimize the need for that transfer but also provide a direct connection with the (N) in case people would rather use it instead of transferring to the (R) . 

....the B70 wouldn't really need to go to Fort Hamilton Pkwy and could just stay on 7 Av

So.... You'd make the B70 less useful overall.... to have an SI bus run up to the  (N) ?

11 minutes ago, Bay Ridge Express said:

Yes. It sounds silly, but it would probably convenience more riders.

Last thing we should be engaging in on a platform like this is the purposeful suggesting of marring of bus routes.... Especially with the state the MTA is in as an agency right now.

The B70, all things considered, is a route that doesn't get a lot of riders (compared with most other routes), so the more people we can get onto more routes of the sort, the better..... You're also banking on (those) SI-ers being receptive to spending more time on a bus than what they currently have to.... That can't be ignored.

Honestly and truthfully. Let’s leave the S53, S79 and S93 alone and let them terminate at their normal stop of 86th and 4th. No extensions into Ft Hamilton Parkway, 59th and 4th and etc. 

The Staten Island buses travel deep into the island and now to have some services terminate in Gleason territory no less. 

Sometimes I wonder where these ideas come from. 

On 2/7/2019 at 9:59 AM, B35 via Church said:

I would split the B8 before I'd give it a LTD....

Then if the resultant eastern portion warrants an extension eastward somewhere, well that'd make it a little more plausible.....

Hmm....I guess that could work

B8 Brownsville Rockaway/Linden to Newkirk Plaza for the (B)(Q)

and then B88 Newkirk Plaza (B)(Q) to Bay Ridge 95th St Station for the (R) ?

Could be better than giving B8 LTD service and having the local stop/start at VA Hospital most of the day.

Edited by Yankees4life

40 minutes ago, Yankees4life said:

Hmm....I guess that could work

B8 Brownsville Rockaway/Linden to Newkirk Plaza for the (B)(Q)

and then B88 Newkirk Plaza (B)(Q) to Bay Ridge 95th St Station for the (R) ?

Could be better than giving B8 LTD service and having the local stop/start at VA Hospital most of the day.

Agreed. The B8 is too long of a route.

7 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Honestly and truthfully. Let’s leave the S53, S79 and S93 alone and let them terminate at their normal stop of 86th and 4th. No extensions into Ft Hamilton Parkway, 59th and 4th and etc. 

The Staten Island buses travel deep into the island and now to have some services terminate in Gleason territory no less. 

Sometimes I wonder where these ideas come from. 

They are not knew. There was talk of extending the R7 over 40 years ago to 59 Street but as usual the MTA rejected it because it meant extra bus mileage. The R7 later became the S7 and then the S53. When an idea is kicked around for so long, it usually means there is some merit to it. 

• 2 weeks later...

The B8 can't have a LIMITED because the roads are too narrow along 18th Avenue, Avenue D, and Newkirk Avenue. Just leave the route alone for network coverage purposes.

While the (A) and (C) trains are there along Fulton Street, the B25 needs a service increase - say 5 minute headways during Peak Hours, 6 minute headways during Middays and on Saturdays, 7 minute headways on Sundays, and 8 to 12 minute headways during Evenings. What distinguishes the (A) and (C) trains from the B25 is the B25 services Dumbo and Cadman Plaza.

I'll add this. Brooklyn needs another route to JFK (say from the Marine Park area) to compliment the B15, and a new Downtown Brooklyn to LaGuardia SBS route.

The (G) to Court Square, transfer to the (E) to Jackson Heights to transfer to either the Q70 LaGuardia Link or Q47 would be too much for Brooklyn customers that could use a B80 SBS that would go non-stop in Queens across the Kosciuscko Bridge and connect with many Brooklyn North-South routes and Subway lines directly.

7 minutes ago, Fredrick Wells 2 said:

a new Downtown Brooklyn to LaGuardia SBS route.

Why; just take the G to court house sq, transfer to a 7, then transfer to a q70. Any bus route from downtown bklyn to LGA is going to take forever. 

34 minutes ago, Orion6025 said:

Why; just take the G to court house sq, transfer to a 7, then transfer to a q70. Any bus route from downtown bklyn to LGA is going to take forever. 

Because the B80 SBS would have free transfers to the B43 and B48 in Greenpoint, the B44 (Local and SBS), B46, B47 and B60 in Williamsburg, the B69 in Clinton Hill, and the B37, B41, B61 and B63 in Downtown Brooklyn.

Plus it would take less time for a Sheepshead Bay customer to take the (B) or (Q) to Atlantic Avenue-Barclays Center and transfer to the B80 SBS than to pull a (B) or (Q) --> (R) --> (G) --> (E) --> Q47/Q70 SBS. Not to mention Canarsie customers having the zig-zag of (L) --> (J)(Z) --> (E) --> Q47/Q70SBS when they can relax via the B60 --> B80 SBS.