Brooklyn Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

B36 Via Ave U

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks kind of interesting..... I still have to check all of them out in detail, but one thing I will say is the B7 definitely should not be cut. That was my home line when I lived in Bed-Stuy. It's needed.

I also think you should add in the Queens routes that have siginifcant presence in Brooklyn. Example, the Q24 neeeds to be extended back down Broadway.

Looks kind of interesting..... I still have to check all of them out in detail, but one thing I will say is the B7 definitely should not be cut. That was my home line when I lived in Bed-Stuy. It's needed.

I also think you should add in the Queens routes that have siginifcant presence in Brooklyn. Example, the Q24 neeeds to be extended back down Broadway.

That's to come... I'll add that.

(Thanks for renaming it... that's the word I wanted.)

Edited by ThrexxBus

Brooklyn bus routing changes; this is what I have drawn up on the map already....

(all I need to find are some good fonts that read well under 5pt or 6pt font & I am done with it....)

B1: unchanged

B2: extended to Xaverian... via av. P, via 65th st

B3: truncated to 25th av (D)

B4: runs from Sheepshead bay/knapp st to 86th/4th.... [via old B4 routing in sheepshead bay], via av z, via 86th st

- "B5": runs b/w Narrows/77th & Stillwell/Surf... via bay ridge pkwy, stillwell, 25av, and cropsey av

B6: unchanged

B7: runs b/w Broadway/Halsey & Canarsie/E. 80th st... via church, via remsen

B8: runs b/w Brownsville/M. Gaston blvd & V.A. Hosp [straightened on av B b/w kings hwy & rockaway pkwy]

B9: unchanged

B11: rerouted around the Lutheran Hosp. area...

B12: unchanged

B13: turns onto etna & hemlock eliminated

B14: extended to Rockaway blvd (A)

B15: unchanged

B16: truncated to Parkside av (D), straightened on Ft. Hamilton pkwy

B17: portion serving E. 80th st & rockaway pkwy. (L) eliminated - {see B7}

B20: runs b/w Bklyn. Postal Fac. & Myrtle av... rerouted to encircle the boulevard houses, and to run via new lots av

- "B23": runs b/w 86th/Fort Hamilton Pkwy & Canarsie/E. 96th st... via 13/14 avs, via cortelyou, via av D, via foster....

B24: truncated to run b/w Greenpoint/West st & Queens blvd... via Greenpoint av

B25, B26, B31, B35, B36, B38, B41, B42, B43, B44, B45, B46, B47 - All unchanged

B48: would have 2 branches:

- runs b/w Prospect park subway & Meeker av [via current routing in greenpoint]

- runs b/w Prospect park subway & Queens blvd... from lorimer, via meeker, via kosciuszo bridge, via 48 st - {see B24}

B49: unchanged

- "B50": runs between Coney Island av/Quentin rd & Starrett city... via kings hwy > via av K > via flatlands

- "B51" runs b/w BMCC & Downtown brooklyn (would terminate w/ the B62)

B52: unchanged

B54: reverts to the pre 9/11 routing in downtown brooklyn (jay > tillary > flatbush ext.)

B57: runs b/w court/livingston & flushing/metropolitan (via park av, via flushing av)

B60, B61, B62, B63 - All unchanged

B64: runs b/w Mermaid bus loop & 86th/4th... via stillwell, via bath, via V.A. Hosp.

B65: extended to Alabama av (J)... from current terminal, via st johns, via ENY av

B67: unchanged

B68: unchanged

B69: runs b/w Williamsburg Bridge Plz. & South Ferry... via vanderbilt, [via old B71 routing], via BBT

B70: truncated to 95th st (R)

B74: unchanged

B82: eliminated... {replaced by B5, B50, B100}

B83: rerouted to run across wortman, to pennsylvania av... also, some rush hour service would run the full length of penn....

B100: extended to Caesars Bay shopping ctr.

B103: unchanged

* Interboro Queens routes (brooklyn portions only discussed)

Q7: no longes serves brooklyn - {see B14}

Q8, Q24, Q35, Q54, Q55, Q56, Q58 - All unchanged

Q59: portion serving kent/wythe eliminated... uses marcy/rodney to met. av, to bushwick av, to grand st...

* Interboro Staten Island routes (brooklyn portions only discussed)

S53, S79, S93 - All unchanged

....that's all & that's it.

Edited by B35 via Church

Brooklyn bus routing changes; this is what I have drawn up on the map already....

(all I need to find are some good fonts that read well under 5pt or 6pt font & I am done with it....)

B1: unchanged

B3: truncated to 25th av (D)

B4: runs from Sheepshead bay/knapp st to 86th/4th.... [via old B4 routing in sheepshead bay], via av z, via 86th st

- "B5": runs b/w Narrows/77th & Stillwell/Surf... via bay ridge pkwy, stillwell, 25av, and cropsey av

B6: unchanged

B8: runs b/w Brownsville/M. Gaston blvd & V.A. Hosp [straightened on av B b/w kings hwy & rockaway pkwy]

B11: rerouted around the Lutheran Hosp. area...

B14: extended to Rockaway blvd (A)

B15: unchanged

B16: truncated to Parkside av (D), straightened on Ft. Hamilton pkwy

B20: runs b/w Bklyn. Postal Fac. & Myrtle av... rerouted to encircle the boulevard houses, and to run via new lots av

- "B23": runs b/w 86th/Fort Hamilton Pkwy & Canarsie/E. 96th st... via 13/14 avs, via cortelyou, via av D, via foster....

B24: truncated to run b/w Greenpoint/West st & Queens blvd... via Greenpoint av

B25, B26, B31, B35, B36, B38, B41, B42, B43, B44, B45, B46, B47 - All unchanged

- runs b/w Prospect park subway & Queens blvd... from lorimer, via meeker, via kosciuszo bridge, via 48 st - {see B24}

- "B50": runs between Coney Island av/Quentin rd & Starrett city... via kings hwy > via av K > via flatlands

B52: unchanged

B54: reverts to the pre 9/11 routing in downtown brooklyn (jay > tillary > flatbush ext.)

B57: runs b/w court/livingston & flushing/metropolitan (via park av, via flushing av)

B64: runs b/w Mermaid bus loop & 86th/4th... via stillwell, via bath, via V.A. Hosp.

B65: extended to Alabama av (J)... via st johns, via ENY av

B67: unchanged

B69: runs b/w Williamsburg Bridge Plz. & South Ferry... via vanderbilt, [via old B71 routing], via BBT

B70: truncated to 95th st (R)

B83: rerouted to run across wortman, to pennsylvania av... also, some rush hour service would run the full length of penn....

B100: extended to Caesars Bay shopping ctr.

B103: unchanged

Q8, Q24, Q35, Q54, Q55, Q56, Q58 - All unchanged

Q59: portion serving kent/wythe eliminated... uses marcy/rodney to met. av, to bushwick av, to grand st...

Use Helvetica for the font. On another note, here are my replies.

B2: Essentially my B5, just a different route b/w Kings Hwy & Kings Plaza.

B7: Get rid of the damn thing...

B23: WAAAY to long, mirrors a B6 type route.... (want to keep those low in number...)

B50: My new B82, but keeping current turn at Flatbush to replace the B7.

B54: Done already...

B83: Not needed, my B18 covers Penn.

B100: Why?

Just a question, did you read my plan?

Edited by ThrexxBus

Use Helvetica for the font.

already tried the infamous helvetica, still didn't look right.... thanks for the suggestion anyway....

B2: Essentially my B5, just a different route b/w Kings Hwy & Kings Plaza.

B7: Get rid of the damn thing...

B23: WAAAY to long, mirrors a B6 type route.... (want to keep those low in number...)

B50: My new B82, but keeping current turn at Flatbush to replace the B7.

B54: Done already...

B83: Not needed, my B18 covers Penn.

B100: Why?

1] I'm not gonna repeat myself on my justifications pertaining to the south brooklyn routes...

2] I didn't base my ideas on yours...

so there's no need for me to address your critique here....

Just a question, did you read my plan?

In full, no - I just skimmed through it....

I already know how BrooklynBus would restructure things.....

Didn't know you wanted a critique, to be honest.....

@B35: I would keep the B82 route designation for the B50, as to not confuse riders.

Your prerogative.

already tried the infamous helvetica, still didn't look right.... thanks for the suggestion anyway....

1] I'm not gonna repeat myself on my justifications pertaining to the south brooklyn routes...

2] I didn't base my ideas on yours...

so there's no need for me to address your critique here....

That thread is dead.

In full, no - I just skimmed through it....

I already know how BrooklynBus would restructure things.....

Didn't know you wanted a critique, to be honest.....

It is my thread, about my ideas, I would expect people would read it and give me a critique, criticism or suggestion.

Replies in red.

B1: unchanged. Agreed. However i would consider changing the left turn from 86th westbound to 5th and travel via 86th, 3rd, 88th and back onto 4th Ave.

B3: truncated to 25th av (D)Why? The depot is already 2 blocks south at 25nd/Cropsey so might as well leave it there. If anything i would consider rush hour only 'short trips' between Ave U/East 16th (Q) station and East 71st.

I disagree. Just run the "B4" via existing route Bay Ridge Pwy and then terminate at 86th St/4th Ave. However late evenings appx. 11pm-1am(last bus)I would only run the "B4" between Sheapshead Station and 86th/4th.

How about the "B4" runs via Bay Ridge Pwy and the "B5" between Rockaway Parkway station and Stillwell Terminal.

B6: unchanged- "B6" Overnights between 2am-5am should be running every 30-40 minutes instead of current 1-hour.

I agree with shorting the "B7" but IMO the southbound terminal should be at Avenue H/Utica and extended rush hours only(weekdays 6am-10am and 230pm-8pm) to Coney Island Ave/Kings Highway.

The full time 24/7 westbound "B8" should be 95th/4th Ave "R" station w/ short trips start/ending at 18th Ave/86th "D" station daily 7am-9pm. I do agree with a route change along Ave B.

B11: rerouted around the Lutheran Hosp. area...-Bro can you please explain more the new routing along Luthern Hosp.?

B14: extended to Rockaway blvd (A)-What about Crown Heights/Brownsville riders going to/from Brooklyn Postal GMF and a 1-fare ride via B13 to the Brooklyn Developmental Center and BrooklynGateway Mall?

B15: unchanged-It should have a rush hour 'limited' stop service though.

B16: truncated to Parkside av "Q" straightened on Ft. Hamilton pkwy-What about SI riders/Bay Ridge riders going to Prospect Park or access to Northern Brooklyn via Franklin Shuttle and B47?

Again to start I would only run it between Utica/Foster and 86th/Ft Hamilton to see if this line works. Then extend it later if succesful IMO to the Rockaway Pwy. station. Very long route not sure if MTA would agree.

B24: truncated to run b/w Greenpoint/West st & Queens blvd... via Greenpoint av-That could work as basically a Greenpoint-Sunnyside 'shuttle.' However since there now several hotel/motels on Greenpoint near the LIE this bus should be running 7 days a week.

B25, B26, B31, B35, B36, B38, B41, B42, B43, B44, B45, B46, B47 - All unchanged-Agree 100%.

Not a bad idea. You should call that Sunnyside line a new branch(IMO call it for instance the "B40")to avoid confusion.

Along with my proposed "B5" and the "B50" eastbound terminal is at Gateway Mall.

Agreed. However it should be a weekday only route appx. 6am-10pm.

B52: unchanged-However I would consider ending overnight service.

It's a political issue bro so if any changes it would not happen till King Bloomberg/Police Chief Kelly are long gone from City Hall.

Again you have a valid point on maybe running it along Park between Bway. and Nostrand. However you way off base to suggest ending at Flushing/Metro Ave as quiet a number of riders use the "B57" to transfer to/from the "Q58/59" at 61st Street.

B64: runs b/w Mermaid bus loop & 86th/4th... via stillwell, via bath, via V.A. Hosp.-At least CI/Bath Beach/Bensonhurst residents get back a direct 1-fare ride to the SI buses and also the Bay Ridge/86th Shopping area.

B65: extended to Alabama av (J)... from current terminal, via st johns, via ENY av-It should run if extended via old "B40" routing pre-2002 to./from Bway Jct. area. At least riders along those projects off Gaston Blvd and ENY Ave. get back bus service.

B67: unchanged-I would restore overnight 1-hour headways though.

I agree (i proposed it a few year back)with a B69 Park Slope/WBP via Vanderbilt but not a WBP-South Ferry route.

Better idea is a weekday only South Ferry-Grand Army Plaza line via using mainly the old "B71" route and also via the BBT.

B70: truncated to 95th st (R)-As long as the B8 95th St service returns, that fine with me.

How about just a new "B84" route across entire length of Penn Ave between Ridgewood(Fresh Pond "M" station)and Spring Creek Towers in Starret City? And maintain the current "B83" running only between Bway Jct. and Gateway?

B100: extended to Caser's Bay. With that said, I probably say 'no' as the B5 would still provide service direct to that area.

B103: unchanged-It should be renamed to a lower bus series i.e B80.

Q8, Q24, Q35, Q54, Q55, Q56, Q58 - All unchanged-As per East NY suggestion, you could have alternative Q24's restored service to Dekalb/Bway for seniors/ADA communities. Overnights appx. 11pm-6am daily all Q24's terminate at Bway Junction.

Strongly disgree. I agree with ending the Kent Ave portion and buses use the Q54 routing direct to WBP terminal.

Replies in red.

That thread is dead.

Sure, but my opinions aren't..... If you know where someone stands on an issue, why in the world would it change just because someone started up another thread.... I don't know why forum posters have that general thought process....

It is my thread, about my ideas, I would expect people would read it and give me a critique, criticism or suggestion.

Yes of course... your thread, your ideas, possessiveness... got all that....

You may not get many replies to your ideas, since they're not directly posted on the forum....

That's another reason why I skimmed through them, instead of reading them in full.....

Replies in red.

Comment on ThrexxBus' ideas first, then I'll address some of your commentary some other time.... if I feel up to it.

Replies to ThreexxBus. Three I been riding Brooklyn and NYC buses way before you were born so I should know. And B35 being moody as i diagree with his ideas. However that cool and his call.

And on Three maybe you should ask your parents to ride these routes more as it seems you never been on some of them. Some others are excellent ideas though. Lets go to my replies.

New routes question?

B53-Where is the other terminal? You only list the Downtown Brooklyn terminal? Sound like a foamer idea.

B1-Why a limited? The buses would get stuck under the traffic/el along the "EL" on the "D" line between Stillwell and 18th Ave.

B4-You mean Bay Ridge Parkway right?

B5-You already have a "B9" so why this? A better idea IMO is a bus along Ave P/65th St (hello extened B31) route.

B8-Agree. Still short turn trips Monday-Saturdays should begin/start at 18th Ave/86th 'D" station and Utica/Ave. D

B10-Way Too Long. Plus people in Bed Stuvy are using the new Jay St transfer between the (C)(A) and the (R) anyhow. Just shorting the B7 to Ave H/Utica weekends and 8pm-1am weekdays.

The B10 IMO should runs along B35's idea between Utica Ave and 86th/4th via 13/14th Ave., Coureltyou and Calderdon Rd.

B16-Just run it via Ft. Hamilton between Empire Blvd and Propsect Park station.

B24-Only the Greenpoint Ave section between West St/Manhattan Ave. "G" station and 46th/Queens Blvd needs weekend service restored.

B31-That one that should be extended via Ave P/65th St to Bay Ridge Ave/Shore Rd.

B34-Utica/Eastern Pwy is close enough where East NY riders can take the LIRR Atlantic branch to Jamaica.

B37-Young man i don't think this route is coming back.

B40-Unless you plan as the local NY Ave route for the B44 there no need for this. The Local B44 should be just be called B44a (meaning local service) when SBS is running.

B42-Why extend it to WBP? There already the B60 and Patchern/Rochester is already walking distance to the B46, B47, and B60.

B47-Not a bad idea since the B7 is cut to Utica/Ave. H(under my plan) or gone in your's and B35's plan.

B82-Some trips should be extended to Gateway for east-west access I.e western half of Starret City and parts of Western Canarise. Overnights all trips terminate at Starret City.

B19-Way too long. Not many riders from Bushwick/Williamsburg going to Ikea/Sunset Park. You underestimating the importance of the new Jay St transfer.

B63-Have you been on this route? It already has terrible bunching problems. extending to Camden Plaza would make it worse. Keep it as it is.

B68-Sound like a foamer three. Do you want 40 minute waits during when schools is open or summer season for beach goers due to bus bunching?

B50-If you live in Williamsburg do you want to travel nearly 2 hours on a bus(with traffic)to get to Kingsboro? Residents in Williamsburg will likely take the "J/M" to Essex, then the "F" and transfer to the "B1" at Ave X which saves at least a half hour travel time. The B44 SBS will already be an alternative traveling along Rogers.

B71-B35's idea is much better. I would revise his idea and run it weekdays only between South Ferry and Grand Army Plaza via old B71 routing and then the BBT to/from Lower Manhattan.

Q24-Heard of the "J" Train and B47 bus? yes most of the Brooklyn "J" line stations are not ada accesible. However the Q24 is already very unreilble and needs help with bus bunching. Just restore service to the DeKalb Ave area daily (some trips)6am-11pm daily.

Sorry if i am harsh three but i give real world replies as a Teacher.

Plus Threexxx The B63 needs to stay on Atlantic Ave because it provides a direct transfer between the (2)(3)(4)(5)(B)(D)(N)(Q) ®the B41 and other Brooklyn buses and LIU College Hosptial at last stop of B63 at Columbia St.

Replies to ThreexxBus. Three I been riding Brooklyn and NYC buses way before you were born so I should know. And B35 being moody as i diagree with his ideas. However that cool and his call.

And on Three maybe you should ask your parents to ride these routes more as it seems you never been on some of them. Some others are excellent ideas though. Lets go to my replies.

New routes question?

B53-Where is the other terminal? You only list the Downtown Brooklyn terminal? Sound like a foamer idea.

B1-Why a limited? The buses would get stuck under the traffic/el along the "EL" on the "D" line between Stillwell and 18th Ave.

B5-You already have a "B9" so why this? A better idea IMO is a bus along Ave P/65th St (hello extened B31) route.

B8-Agree. Still short turn trips Monday-Saturdays should begin/start at 18th Ave/86th 'D" station and Utica/Ave. D

B10-Way Too Long. Plus people in Bed Stuvy are using the new Jay St transfer between the (C)(A) and the (R) anyhow. Just shorting the B7 to Ave H/Utica weekends and 8pm-1am weekdays.

The B10 IMO should runs along B35's idea between Utica Ave and 86th/4th via 13/14th Ave., Coureltyou and Calderdon Rd.

B24-Only the Greenpoint Ave section between West St/Manhattan Ave. "G" station and 46th/Queens Blvd needs weekend service restored.

B31-That one that should be extended via Ave P/65th St to Bay Ridge Ave/Shore Rd.

B34-Utica/Eastern Pwy is close enough where East NY riders can take the LIRR Atlantic branch to Jamaica.

B40-Unless you plan as the local NY Ave route for the B44 there no need for this. The Local B44 should be just be called B44a (meaning local service) when SBS is running.

B42-Why extend it to WBP? There already the B60 and Patchern/Rochester is already walking distance to the B46, B47, and B60.

B47-Not a bad idea since the B7 is cut to Utica/Ave. H(under my plan) or gone in your's and B35's plan.

B82-Some trips should be extended to Gateway for east-west access I.e western half of Starret City and parts of Western Canarise. Overnights all trips terminate at Starret City.

B19-Way too long. Not many riders from Bushwick/Williamsburg going to Ikea/Sunset Park. You underestimating the importance of the new Jay St transfer.

B63-Have you been on this route? It already has terrible bunching problems. extending to Camden Plaza would make it worse. Keep it as it is.

B68-Sound like a foamer three. Do you want 40 minute waits during when schools is open or summer season for beach goers due to bus bunching?

B50-If you live in Williamsburg do you want to travel nearly 2 hours on a bus(with traffic)to get to Kingsboro? Residents in Williamsburg will likely take the "J/M" to Essex, then the "F" and transfer to the "B1" at Ave X which saves at least a half hour travel time. The B44 SBS will already be an alternative traveling along Rogers.

B71-B35's idea is much better. I would revise his idea and run it weekdays only between South Ferry and Grand Army Plaza via old B71 routing and then the BBT to/from Lower Manhattan.

Q24-Heard of the "J" Train and B47 bus? yes most of the Brooklyn "J" line stations are not ada accesible. However the Q24 is already very unreilble and needs help with bus bunching. Just restore service to the DeKalb Ave area daily (some trips)6am-11pm daily.

And B35 being moody as i diagree with his ideas. However that cool and his call.

Swing and a god damn miss.....

Since Threxx is talking about this is his thread, his ideas, that whole bit... That's why I said comment on his ideas first....

for someone that's moody because you disagree w/ his ideas, you sure as hell went out your way to PM me your commentary to my ideas.....

-----------------------

Anyway, I'll get to Threxx's plans while I'm on the express to work tomorrow....

Edited by B35 via Church

Southern Brooklyn

B1: Bay Ridge, 86 St & Shore Road

Manhattan Beach, Kingsboro CC

Via 86 St.

(LTD)

B2: Eliminated, for replacement see B100/B101.

B3: Bergen Beach, Veterans Avenue/Avenue U

Bath Beach, Shore Pkwy-Bay Pkwy

Via Avenue U.

B4: Bay Ridge, 86 St & Shore Road

Sheepshead Bay, Knapp St/Voohries Avenue

Via Bay Parkway

(Full time service to Sheepshead Bay)

B5: Kings Plaza, Avenue U/Flatbush Avenue

Bay Ridge, 69 St/Shore Road

Via Avenue P & 65 St

(NEW, LTD)

B6: Current route.

B7: Eliminated, see B10/16, B47 & B82 for replacements.

B8: Brownsville, Mother Gaston Bl.

Bay Ridge, 95 St Station

Via Avenue D & 18 Avenue

(Full time service to Bay Ridge)

B9: Current Route.

B10/B16:

Crown Heights, Utica Aveune

Bay Ridge, 86th St

Via 13 & 14 Avenue (B10) & via Ft. Hamilton Pkwy (B16)

B11: Current route.

B31: Gerritsen Beach, Lois Pl

Harway Avenue, Bensonhurst

Via Gerritsen Avenue & Kings Hwy.

(Via Ceaser’s Bay Mall, extended to replace shorter B82.)

B37: Downtown Brooklyn, Court St

Bay Ridge, Shore Road

Via 3rd Avenue

(Weekdays Only)

B63: Current route in Bay Ridge. (See Downtown Brooklyn for the route change.)

B64: Bay Ridge, 86 St & 4th Avenue

Coney Island, Mermaid Loop

Via Bath & Cropsey Avenues

(Essentially a “southern” version of the B1.)

B68: Current route in Coney Island. (See Downtown Brooklyn for the route change.)

B70: Current route.

B82: Starret City, Seaview Avenue

Midwood, CI Avenue

Via Flatlands Avenue & Kings Hwy

B100/101:

Mill Basin, E. 66 St

Kings Hwy (B)/ (Q) Station

Via Avenue R (B101) & Fillmore Avenue

(B101 replaces B2 between E. 16 St & Flatbush Avenue.)

North-South Routes in Central Brooklyn

B40: Greenpoint, Metro Avenue or Williamsburg Bridge Plaza

Midwood, Flatbush Avenue/Brookyn College (The Junction)

Via New York, Marcy and Nostrand Avenue.

(NEW)

B42: Williamsburg Bridge Plaza

Canarsie Pier

Via Rockaway Av, Rockaway Parkway, Patchen, Rochester Avs, etc.

(Truncated to (L) train station, weekends.)

B44: (LOCAL SERVICE REROUTED TO ROGERS AVENUE)

Williamsburg Bridge Plaza

Sheepshead Bay, Knapp St

Via Nostrand, Rodgers, and Bedford Avenue.

(+SBS)

B46: Current route.

(+SBS)

B47: Rerouted onto Kings Hwy between Avenue D & Howard Avenue.

B49: Bed-Stuy, Fulton St

Sheepshead Bay, Knapp St

Via Bedford Avenue.

B50: Williamsburg Bridge Plaza

Manhattan Beach, Kingsboro CC.

Via Washington & Ocean Avenues.

(NEW, LTD)

East-West Routes in Central Brooklyn (South of Fulton St)

B10/16: Via Clarkson Avenue & Saratoga Avenue. (See South Brooklyn for more info.)

B19: Williamsburg Bridge Plaza

IKEA Terminal OR Borough Park, 62 St.

Via Howard, Saratoga Avenue, & Clarkson Avenue.

(NEW, LTD)

B23: Brownsville, Rockaway Avenue

Kensington, Cortelyou Road

Via Cortelyou & Clarendon Rds.

B25: Current route.

B35: Current route.

B45: Current route.

B65: Current route.

B71: Crown Heights, Ralph Avenue

IKEA Terminal

Via 3rd & 6th Sts, (A) via Union St. (B)

East-West Routes in Central Brooklyn (North of Fulton St)

B26: Current route.

B38: Current route.

B52: Current route.

B53 A/B:

Downtown Brooklyn, Sands St OR Court St

Linden Hill, Maspeth Avenue

Via Greene & Lexington Avenue, (A) via Eastern Parkway. (B)

(NEW)

B54: Eastbound buses rerouted along Whilloughby Avenue

Eastern Brooklyn

B13: Current route.

B14: Extended to Gateway Center.

B18: Long Island City, Queens Plaza

Canarsie, E 105 St (L) Station OR Avenue L & East 80 St.

Via Avenue L, Bushwick Avenue, and 11 Avenue (Queens)

(NEW, LTD)

B20: Current route

B24: Weekend Service Restored.

B27: Bushwick Avenue & Metro Ave, Williamsburg

Crecent Avenue Station, Cypress Hills

Via Cypress Ave & Wykcoff Ave

B34: Crown Heights, Utica Avenue Sta

Jamaica LIRR Station OR Rockaway Blvd/Cross Bay Blvd.

Via Liberty Avenue.

B83: Current route.

Downtown Brooklyn Changes:

B63: Extended northward to Cadman Plaza.

B68: Extended to Court St via former B69 route & Flatbush Avenue.

Extra routes

B15: New LTD variant. All buses to JFK Airport are LTD.

B103: New stops in Park Slope.

Interboro Buses to/from Queens

Q7: Current route.

Q8: Current route.

Q24: Extended to Woodhull Hospital.

Q54, 55, 56, 58: Current routes.

Many credits go to “BrooklynBus,” who created “Routes 2 Better serve S. Brooklyn,” which was an guide and inspiration for much of this document.

HERE it is!

Edited by ThrexxBus

New routes question?

Ok, you obviously didn't read everything properly. These bus routes mirror some possible subway trips for a reason.

B53: Read it again.

B1: You don't see the need for this if it is to become a 86 St through-route?

B4: Yes...

B5: Your B31 is the SAME thing as my B5. It could terminate at Kings Hwy (B)/ (Q) station, but people will use it to get to Kings Plaza.

(It is part of the B2 replacement.)

B10/16: The Empire Blvd section is to help the B12 & take pressure off the B35. Some buses will short turn at Prospect Park. (As stated on BrooklynBus' site...) Also, my B23 serves Cortelyou Road...

B19: Split into B66 & B19.

B66: Prospect Park Station

IKEA Terminal

Via Prospect Avenue.

B31: I think people along the current route would want access to the south, not north.

B34: A Liberty Ave route is neccesary. The (A)/ (C) stations are inaccesible for the elderly, and since the truncation of the B12, this is even more necessary.

B63/68: Gone...

B37: Terrible bunching problem on B63= need for 3rd Avenue counterpart to help.

B40: It straightens out routes in Central Brooklyn. NY Avenue should have always had it's own route.

B50: Help me please... Why would I want people to do that? It serves the whole of Ocean Avenue, and serves Washington, providing weekend service to Fort Greene. (Helping B69.)

B47: Damn right it's not a bad idea!

B42: Just downright fantasy...

B82: The B83 does that well, but I'll add it... so you agree with the truncation?

Q24: I couldn't remember the street it used to go to, so I just said Woodhull.

Edited by ThrexxBus

Southern Brooklyn

Via 86 St.

(LTD)

Via Avenue U.

Via Bay Parkway

Via Avenue P & 65 St

(NEW, LTD)

B7: Bed-Stuy, Halsey ST

Canarsie, E. 80 Street

Via Saratoga & Remsen Ave.

Bay Ridge, 95 St Station

Via Avenue D & 18 Avenue

B10/B16:

Bed-Stuy, Halsey St

Bay Ridge, 86th St

Bay Ridge, Shore Road

Via 3rd Avenue

(Weekdays Only)

B63: Current route in Bay Ridge.

B68: Current route in Coney Island.

B82: Starret City, Seaview Avenue WITH some trips to Gateway Center.

Midwood, CI Avenue/Quentin Road

B100/101:

Mill Basin, E. 66 St

Kings Hwy (B)/ (Q) Station

(NEW)

B42: Williamsburg Bridge Plaza (Rush Hrs) OR Rockaway Parkway, (L) (FANTASY)

Canarsie Pier & Seaview Village

Sheepshead Bay, Knapp St

(+SBS)

(+SBS)

Sheepshead Bay, Knapp St

Via Bedford Avenue.

(NEW, LTD)

B10/16: Via Clarkson Avenue & Saratoga Avenue. (See South Brooklyn for more info.)

Borough Park, 62 St.

Via Howard, Saratoga Avenue, & Empire Blvd.

(NEW, LTD)

IKEA Terminal

B53 A/B:

Linden Hill, Maspeth Avenue

(NEW)

B54: Eastbound buses rerouted along Whilloughby Avenue

Eastern Brooklyn

(NEW, LTD)

Via Liberty Avenue.

Extra routes

Western Brooklyn

IKEA Terminal

Via Prospect Avenue.

Q24: Extended Bushwick, Dekalb Avenue.

Many credits go to “BrooklynBus,” who created “Routes 2 Better serve S. Brooklyn,” which was an guide and inspiration for much of this document.

This is how I would "fix" bus routes in Brooklyn.

https://docs.google....lgXqj1PMrg/edit

real quick.... in no order....

I don't know what you are basing some of these ideas on.... Seriously....

- The Q24 the MTA got right.... that route lags enough as it is along atlantic av, and barely anyone rode it past (meaning, west of) the junction....

- At this rate, there's no point in bringing back bus service along the length of 3rd av (B37)....

- You're quick to tell me my "B23" is too long, but yet you have a route going from broadway/halsey to 86th st in bay ridge.... are you kidding me....

- Yeah, the B8 may as well terminate with the B35 over on hegaman/mother gaston...

- Extend the B63 from Brooklyn Bridge park to Cadman plaza... wth?

Have you been in that area..... Who is it exactly this is supposed to be helping/serving....

- Sending the B14 to gateway is rather redundant to the B13 in that area....

- I don't know what newfound riderbase you're trying to tap into w/ that B53....

- Myrtle av commercial strip needs the B54... you wouldn't gain much of anything by moving buses onto willoughby....

- That B18... first of all, forget about terminating a bus at East 105th st (L).... second, you never state the routing b/w bushwick av & Canarsie.....

- I actually like your B34 idea (to jamaica, not the cross bay blvd. part)... you're gonna have to make it a LTD to make it worthwhile though, IMO...

- B42 to WBP would only worsen the commute for canarsie riders, I'm telling you that now...... That, and you don't need two routes running the length of Rockaway av..... Having the B42 help out the B60 b/w canarsie & WBP isn't gonna cure the problems on the B60.... The problem is with the 60, not the 42.....

- moving B47's along a portion of kings hwy was BrooklynBus' idea... that's his way of getting rid of the B7 & leaving those schoolkids around tilden HS/ Meyer Levin (IS 285) with some sort of direct bus service.... Personally I'd leave the B47 alone, and leave those kids w/ the B8..... Lot of those kids walk to church av anyway..... The ridership is on Ralph av, not kings hwy.....

* You were editing the google document this morning as I was replying.....

I'm not going to edit this post to reflect the changes you made after the fact....

I know I missed a few of the ideas (some on purpose, as they were already discussed in the south brooklyn thread), but for now that's about it.... I'm about to get off the bus....

I'll check back in this thread later.

I'm gonna take a stab on a Brooklyn Bus Overhaul:

B1: extended to Shore Rd/86th St (as already mentioned)

B2: extended west to Coney Island to replace B82 west of Coney Island Av

weekend service restored

B4: runs between Knapp St in Sheepshead Bay and 86th St/4th Av

runs to Knapp St 6am-11pm weekdays and 8am-11pm weekends

B7: I agree with B35's idea on sending it to 80th St/Paerdegat Av

via Saratoga Av, Church Av, Remsen Av, Avenue L

B8: runs to Bay Ridge/95th St all times

B11: extended east to Bergen Beach

B12: rerouted via Empire Blvd west of Utica Av

new western terminus is Prospect Park (B/Q/S) station

use B16 and restored B23 for Kings County/Downstate Hospitals

B15 & B17: swap northern terminals

-B15: ends at Utica/Eastern

-B17: extended north to Woodhull Hospital via Lewis/Garvey

B16: runs between 4th Av/86th St and Eastern Pkwy/Utica Av

via 86th, Fort Hamilton, Caton, Bedford, Clarkson, Albany, Empire, Troy, Eastern, Utica

B24: I agree with prior proposal to truncating it as Greenpoint Av shuttle. However, it would be extended west to Williamsburg Bridge Plaza

route: Greenpoint Av, West St, Kent/Wythe Avs, Broadway

B30: new Penn Av thru-route running between Broadway Junction and Starrett City

B31: extended west to 4th Av/101st St

via Av P, 65th St, 7th Av, Bay Ridge Av, Shore Rd

B36: extended east to Kings Plaza via Av U

B38: all buses run to Metropolitan Av/Starr St

B46: rerouted to Catalpa/Seneca Avs to replace B38 Seneca branch, use B47 and (J/Z) for Broadway

B41: all buses run to Kings Plaza, use B11 for Bergen Beach

B43: new southern terminus is Brooklyn College

via Kingston/Throop, Rutland/Winthrop, New York Av, Av H

use B12 for Empire

B44: all northbound buses via Rogers Av

B45: this is my most radical idea, but it would run to Red Hook IKEA to replace B71 on Union St instead of Downtown Brooklyn

W/B B45 route: Sterling, 7th Av, Union, 3rd Av, 3rd St, Smith St, Sackett, Columbia, Van Brunt, Beard

E/B: Beard, Van Brunt, Columbia, Carroll, Court, Union, 7th Av, Park Pl, Bedford, St. John's

B47: extended west to Williamsburg Bridge Plaza to replace B46

B48: I agree with prior proposal of two branches running from Prospect Park (B/Q/S) station to either Sunnyside or Meeker Av

Sunnyside branch renamed B58

B49: runs to Prospect Park (B/Q/S) Sta via Ocean Av

B51: restored to run between City Hall and the Red Hook Ikea

replaces B57 on Smith/Court St

Route: Park Row, Lafayette/Bowery, Canal, Manhattan Bridge, Tillary, Jay, Fulton, Court/Smith, Lorraine, Otsego

B57: runs between Fulton Mall and 69th St/Grand Av

B64: I agree with prior proposal to run it between 86th/4th and Mermaid Loop. However, it would run via Cropsey instead of Bath Av since it is farther away from 86th St.

via 4th, 92nd, Poly Pl, VA hosp, Cropsey

B65: I agree with prior proposal to extend it east to Broadway Junction via St. Johns, ENY Av

B82: cut back to Coney Island av/Quentin Rd, as mentioned already

Any reactions?

I'm gonna take a stab on a Brooklyn Bus Overhaul:

B1: extended to Shore Rd/86th St (as already mentioned)

B2: extended west to Coney Island to replace B82 west of Coney Island Av

weekend service restored

B4: runs between Knapp St in Sheepshead Bay and 86th St/4th Av

runs to Knapp St 6am-11pm weekdays and 8am-11pm weekends

B7: I agree with B35's idea on sending it to 80th St/Paerdegat Av

via Saratoga Av, Church Av, Remsen Av, Avenue L

B8: runs to Bay Ridge/95th St all times

B11: extended east to Bergen Beach

B12: rerouted via Empire Blvd west of Utica Av

new western terminus is Prospect Park (B/Q/S) station

use B16 and restored B23 for Kings County/Downstate Hospitals

B15 & B17: swap northern terminals

-B15: ends at Utica/Eastern

-B17: extended north to Woodhull Hospital via Lewis/Garvey

B16: runs between 4th Av/86th St and Eastern Pkwy/Utica Av

via 86th, Fort Hamilton, Caton, Bedford, Clarkson, Albany, Empire, Troy, Eastern, Utica

B24: I agree with prior proposal to truncating it as Greenpoint Av shuttle. However, it would be extended west to Williamsburg Bridge Plaza

route: Greenpoint Av, West St, Kent/Wythe Avs, Broadway

B30: new Penn Av thru-route running between Broadway Junction and Starrett City

B31: extended west to 4th Av/101st St

via Av P, 65th St, 7th Av, Bay Ridge Av, Shore Rd

B36: extended east to Kings Plaza via Av U

B38: all buses run to Metropolitan Av/Starr St

B46: rerouted to Catalpa/Seneca Avs to replace B38 Seneca branch, use B47 and (J/Z) for Broadway

B41: all buses run to Kings Plaza, use B11 for Bergen Beach

B43: new southern terminus is Brooklyn College

via Kingston/Throop, Rutland/Winthrop, New York Av, Av H

use B12 for Empire

B44: all northbound buses via Rogers Av

B45: this is my most radical idea, but it would run to Red Hook IKEA to replace B71 on Union St instead of Downtown Brooklyn

W/B B45 route: Sterling, 7th Av, Union, 3rd Av, 3rd St, Smith St, Sackett, Columbia, Van Brunt, Beard

E/B: Beard, Van Brunt, Columbia, Carroll, Court, Union, 7th Av, Park Pl, Bedford, St. John's

B47: extended west to Williamsburg Bridge Plaza to replace B46

B48: I agree with prior proposal of two branches running from Prospect Park (B/Q/S) station to either Sunnyside or Meeker Av

Sunnyside branch renamed B58

B49: runs to Prospect Park (B/Q/S) Sta via Ocean Av

B51: restored to run between City Hall and the Red Hook Ikea

replaces B57 on Smith/Court St

Route: Park Row, Lafayette/Bowery, Canal, Manhattan Bridge, Tillary, Jay, Fulton, Court/Smith, Lorraine, Otsego

B57: runs between Fulton Mall and 69th St/Grand Av

B64: I agree with prior proposal to run it between 86th/4th and Mermaid Loop. However, it would run via Cropsey instead of Bath Av since it is farther away from 86th St.

via 4th, 92nd, Poly Pl, VA hosp, Cropsey

B65: I agree with prior proposal to extend it east to Broadway Junction via St. Johns, ENY Av

B82: cut back to Coney Island av/Quentin Rd, as mentioned already

Any reactions?

B45: Why... just why...

B15: People use that route full length, so no.

B64: Me and B35 said the VA Hosp thing already...

real quick.... in no order....

I don't know what you are basing some of these ideas on.... Seriously....

- The Q24 the MTA got right.... that route lags enough as it is along atlantic av, and barely anyone rode it past (meaning, west of) the junction....

- At this rate, there's no point in bringing back bus service along the length of 3rd av (B37)....

- You're quick to tell me my "B23" is too long, but yet you have a route going from broadway/halsey to 86th st in bay ridge.... are you kidding me....

- Yeah, the B8 may as well terminate with the B35 over on hegaman/mother gaston...

- Extend the B63 from Brooklyn Bridge park to Cadman plaza... wth?

Have you been in that area..... Who is it exactly this is supposed to be helping/serving....

- Sending the B14 to gateway is rather redundant to the B13 in that area....

- I don't know what newfound riderbase you're trying to tap into w/ that B53....

- Myrtle av commercial strip needs the B54... you wouldn't gain much of anything by moving buses onto willoughby....

- That B18... first of all, forget about terminating a bus at East 105th st (L).... second, you never state the routing b/w bushwick av & Canarsie.....

- I actually like your B34 idea (to jamaica, not the cross bay blvd. part)... you're gonna have to make it a LTD to make it worthwhile though, IMO...

- B42 to WBP would only worsen the commute for canarsie riders, I'm telling you that now...... That, and you don't need two routes running the length of Rockaway av..... Having the B42 help out the B60 b/w canarsie & WBP isn't gonna cure the problems on the B60.... The problem is with the 60, not the 42.....

- moving B47's along a portion of kings hwy was BrooklynBus' idea... that's his way of getting rid of the B7 & leaving those schoolkids around tilden HS/ Meyer Levin (IS 285) with some sort of direct bus service.... Personally I'd leave the B47 alone, and leave those kids w/ the B8..... Lot of those kids walk to church av anyway..... The ridership is on Ralph av, not kings hwy.....

* You were editing the google document this morning as I was replying.....

I'm not going to edit this post to reflect the changes you made after the fact....

I know I missed a few of the ideas (some on purpose, as they were already discussed in the south brooklyn thread), but for now that's about it.... I'm about to get off the bus....

I'll check back in this thread later.

I was editing to fix the very things you mentioned. Much of this post is now void. But on the stuff that isn't....

B53: The east-west crosstown routes in Fort Greene & Bed-Stuy are slow & overcrowded. I live in Bed-Stuy, this is my daily life. The B12 is also overcrowded. Essentially, this tackles two birds with one stone.

B18: The loop is big enough... (Via Penn Avenue b/w Broadway Jct & Flatlands Avenue.)

B47: I hope you read that I gave him credit...

Anyway, I'll change it so buses are actually split b/w Kings Hwy & Ralph Avenue, with increased headways.

B63: That's gone. I don't care if you use a WTF.

B42: That's borderline fantasy...

Just to clarify, I didn't really intend this thread to be a place where everyone could chip in on their ideas. Posts are already too long. I'm not going to stop you, but please refrain from doing this, OK? Me, B35, and cotb16's ideas are more than enough to comment on.

AS OF 4/12/12. this is what my plan looks like:

Southern Brooklyn

Via 86 St.

(LTD)

Via Avenue U.

Via Bay Parkway

Via Avenue P & 65 St

(NEW, LTD)

B7: Bed-Stuy, Halsey ST

Canarsie, E. 80 Street

Via Saratoga & Remsen Ave.

Bay Ridge, 95 St Station

Via Avenue D & 18 Avenue

B10/B16:

Crown Heights, Utica Avenue

Bay Ridge, 86th St

Bay Ridge, Shore Road

Via 3rd Avenue

(Weekdays Only)

B63: Current route in Bay Ridge.

B68: Current route in Coney Island.

B82: Starret City, Seaview Avenue WITH some trips to Gateway Center.

Midwood, CI Avenue/Quentin Road

B100/101:

Mill Basin, E. 66 St

Kings Hwy (B)/(Q) Station

(NEW)

B42: Williamsburg Bridge Plaza (Rush Hrs) OR Rockaway Parkway, (L) (FANTASY)

Canarsie Pier & Seaview Village

Sheepshead Bay, Knapp St

(+SBS)

(+SBS)

Sheepshead Bay, Knapp St

Via Bedford Avenue.

(NEW, LTD)

Borough Park, 62 St.

Via Howard, Saratoga Avenue, & Empire Blvd.

(NEW, LTD)

IKEA Terminal

B53 A/B:

Wyckoff Hospital, Ridgewood.

(NEW)

Eastern Brooklyn

(NEW, LTD)

Via Liberty Avenue.

Extra routes

Western Brooklyn

IKEA Terminal

Via Prospect Avenue.

Q24: Extended Bushwick, Dekalb Avenue.

cotb16: The B11 to Bergen Beach instead of the B41 seems like a very good idea. The headways for service between Bergen Beach and Junction should NOT be 20 minutes and greater on the weekends though like they are now. Of course I have this compulsion to get it to the point where no bus route operates at headways worse than 8-10 minutes off-hours, but there is only so much to work with.

I think this should be done in southern Brooklyn:

-Current B1: KCC to 4th Ave

New B1: Knapp St-Shore Pkwy (or someplace further north on Knapp) to ~4th Ave via Emmons (eastbound via Shore Pkwy service road south), Neptune, Ocean Pkwy, Ave "X", 86 St, 25 Ave (note new service to Caesar's Bay), Cropsey Ave/Poly Pl, 7th Ave, 92 St, and end it somewhere around 86 or 95. Probably 86 so that there is no need to worry about otherwise finding a way for the B1 to connect to the future S79 SBS. Knapp St service replaces the B4.

The reason I am sending the B1 to Knapp St is that I am trying to make frequent east-west bus service to/from Knapp St. Also the B1 really gets into the shopping/hangout areas out west. The B4 does not get into those areas like the B1 does. Alternatively the B1 could operate via Emmons/Shore Pkwy, Sheepshead Bay Rd, "Z", East 12 and Neptune in order to better serve SB station. But this would make it more circuitous.

Instead, maybe the buses can loop via East 14, Shore Pkwy service Rd south, and East 15, then get back on Emmons and continue in whichever direction they were going. This would be similar to the B17 buses that serve Paerdegat Basin and stop at Rockaway Pkwy-Glenwood Rd and would not be as much of a hindrance to the passengers that want to go past Sheepshead Bay station.

-New B3: No more Caesar's Bay. Send via current B1 route, then down 4th Ave, then via Marine Ave to 86 St or someplace along Marine just south of 86. I was thinking of just ending it at 92 St. This change would give people along the water easier access to the (R). The B16 is rather circuitous now since it meanders around the back and seems to be a rather roundabout means of reaching the (R).

-New B16: Coming from Prospect Park, it should operate via Bay Ridge/Ovington Aves and then down 3rd Ave to the end of that street (at Shore Rd) and end there. Or, perhaps it could go down 4th Ave and make a right on 86, then go to the end of that street (at Shore Rd) and end there. This replaces the current B70.

-New B70: Bring back the old route. Circuitousness gone. Extend it somewhere if possible. Maybe via Cropsey, Neptune, and Coney Island and Brighton Beach Aves and Oriental Blvd to KCC. This extension would replace the B82 south of Bay Pkwy. Also see new B64 below.

-New B64: Re-extend to Stillwell via Bath and/or Harway (I was thinking Bath and Harway could be a one-way pair east of 25th Ave). Possible extension to KCC. If both the B64 and B70 go to KCC, the B70 can actually be the express/limited to the B64 east of Stillwell. The B64 would operate via Stillwell, Surf, West 5th, West Brighton Ave, Brighton Beach Ave, and Oriental Blvd. Otherwise terminate it at Stillwell and send the B70 to KCC via Cropsey, Neptune, West 5th, West Brighton and Brighton Beach Aves, then Oriental.

-New B82: No more B82 south of Bay Ridge Pkwy. Instead, send it via Kings Hwy, Stillwell, and Bay Ridge Pkwy to 77 St-Narrows Ave. Replaces the B4.

-New B67: Extend to VA Hospital via 16th and Cropsey Aves.

And the B49 should be changed back to the pre-1978 route. Note that the B64 and/or B70 would still provide service between KCC and the (B)(Q). The B4 can be eliminated entirely; the only problem is that I do not know what to do about Shell Rd and Ave "Z". Nothing I came up with in this post is providing service on "Z" between Shell Rd and Ocean Pkwy or on Shell Rd between "X" and "Z". I was thinking have the B1 go one way via Ocean Pkwy and "X", the other way via Shell Rd and "Z", but that would be a schlock solution.

And for the other side of Brooklyn, I came up with the plan pictured below a year ago. It would allow the northbound B44 LCL to go up Rogers and the B49 to go up Ocean and across Empire. Just pay attention to the B32, not the B40:

2nimbfo.jpg

Edited by BrooklynIRT