Brooklyn Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

B36 Via Ave U

6 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

I got a chance to briefly read the bus forward presentation and here is what I can gather:

Personal observation: I really don't think the B15 should be an SBS candidate for the following reasons.

• The complex route that it travels between East New York and Bed-Stuy. The current route is a complete chokepoint and I mean this in true sincerely. Between New Lots Avenue, Ralph Avenue, Lewis Avenue and Woodhull are your main chokepoints. Just too much congestion to even think about creating an SBS route. A true BRT has to have a north-south route with very limited stops. 

• Another area that the B15 travels is in Crown Heights- Dean Street b/w Albany and Rochester Aves. At times Dean street traffic is on a standstill b/c there are 4 schools that service that route and between the hours of 1:30pm and 6:00PM is where most of the congestion lies. Unless an streamline of the route changes lets not put any thought of having the B15SBS+

I agree. As someone said before the only thing that could benefit for the B15 is off board payment. Along with being articulated if the B15 is ever going to be it probably would have to be rerouted. Maybe instead of going through the dean street area maybe have it go straight down to eastern parkway and make it connect to the 3 and 4 train then go down further eastern parkway onto Ralph onto its usual route. It would give it more ridership and have it as a great based connection for people who need an easy transfer to the airport. 

But again I agree the B15 doesn’t really need to be sbs. 

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Kingjunior34 said:

Along with b103,b15,35 what are some other Brooklyn routes that need artics and how soon could they come 

B103 isn’t becoming artic. There hasn’t been any talk about. Keep in mind the depot it comes out of is cng and the XN60s are only going to Jackie Gleason for the B35 and West Farms for its artic fleet. The B15 was talked about but not sure if it’s ever going to happen. The only confirmed routes that are going to be artics is the Bx36, B35, and B82 sbs when bus company get their own XD60s next year. The XD60s for the B82 is currently spread out on loan at other depots. 

On 3/25/2018 at 2:55 PM, Brillant93 said:

I agree. As someone said before the only thing that could benefit for the B15 is off board payment. Along with being articulated if the B15 is ever going to be it probably would have to be rerouted. Maybe instead of going through the dean street area maybe have it go straight down to eastern parkway and make it connect to the 3 and 4 train then go down further eastern parkway onto Ralph onto its usual route. It would give it more ridership and have it as a great based connection for people who need an easy transfer to the airport. 

But again I agree the B15 doesn’t really need to be sbs. 

I could see 1 or possibly 2 scenarios with the B15. Although this is very early in the conversation but it's gonna mean lost of stops along the route. The 15 already travels on very awkward streets. Part of the route is with 1 way streets. 

Scenario #1. The 15 traveling down Marcus Garvey to Fulton (from Woodhull).  Left on Fulton, right on Ralph than regular via New Lots. 

Scenario #2  Down Marcus Garvey to Fulton. Left on Fulton, Right on Utica, Left on St. John's Place, Right on Ralph than regular.   

8 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

I could see 1 or possibly 2 scenarios with the B15. Although this is very early in the conversation but it's gonna mean lost of stops along the route. The 15 already travels on very awkward streets. Part of the route is with 1 way streets. 

Scenario #1. The 15 traveling down Marcus Garvey to Fulton (from Woodhull).  Left on Fulton, right on Ralph than regular via New Lots. 

Scenario #2  Down Marcus Garvey to Fulton. Left on Fulton, Right on Utica, Left on St. John's Place, Right on Ralph than regular.   

How about staying on Troy/Albany directly to St. John's Place? If anything, the one-way streets should actually make it a little quicker because they usually try to coordinate a "green wave" of traffic lights (though in practice the bus usually misses a light or two due to the stops). That, and making fewer turns should speed the buses a bit.

1 hour ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

How about staying on Troy/Albany directly to St. John's Place? If anything, the one-way streets should actually make it a little quicker because they usually try to coordinate a "green wave" of traffic lights (though in practice the bus usually misses a light or two due to the stops). That, and making fewer turns should speed the buses a bit.

You know what. U have a valid point on this one. This was something I didn't really think about. Troy/Albany are pretty wide streets and it can work. St. John's place can work for the mere fact you have transfer points (direct) to crosstown Utica Avenue. 

I was going to post this in the SBS thread but thought it would be better off here. 

Since the B82sbs is going to start off with 40 footers I wonder what they would do to help curtail double parking along the narrow part of kings hwy before artics come into play? The proposal is to have businesses accept heavy deliveries between the hours of 10am and 2pm. But I'm not sure if thats going to work pretty well. I often travel down that part of kings hwy and they always have trucks the entire work day delivering whether it be heavy or light. They should try and use fines so like say delivery between the hours of 10am and 2pm would be cheaper or non existent but before and after heavy fines would apply. I know a business is going to try and go after the cheaper option so why not use that to the cities ability?  But trucks are just one problem but the worst are double parked cars. You often have people double parked sitting waiting for people or a spot. I feel that the local bus stops along kings hwy between ocean avenue and ocean parkway should be removed. This could help both the local and sbs along that way so it can be more frequent. The local stops are often parked in with either light trucks or people who just don't care. So I feel that removing the local stop could be given as loading spaces for trucks. Also has the city got anything on regulating how long a truck is supposed to be in a loading space? 

So to recap. Trucks are to be lightly fined or not at all between the hours of 10am and 2pm (heavy fines before and after, remove local bus stops between ocean avenue and ocean parkway( move the local ocean parkway stop adjacent to each other), give the old local bus stops for loading spaces for trucks.

This could help ease traffic some what before artics get on the route.   

2 hours ago, Brillant93 said:

I was going to post this in the SBS thread but thought it would be better off here. 

Since the B82sbs is going to start off with 40 footers I wonder what they would do to help curtail double parking along the narrow part of kings hwy before artics come into play? The proposal is to have businesses accept heavy deliveries between the hours of 10am and 2pm. But I'm not sure if thats going to work pretty well. I often travel down that part of kings hwy and they always have trucks the entire work day delivering whether it be heavy or light. They should try and use fines so like say delivery between the hours of 10am and 2pm would be cheaper or non existent but before and after heavy fines would apply. I know a business is going to try and go after the cheaper option so why not use that to the cities ability?  But trucks are just one problem but the worst are double parked cars. You often have people double parked sitting waiting for people or a spot. I feel that the local bus stops along kings hwy between ocean avenue and ocean parkway should be removed. This could help both the local and sbs along that way so it can be more frequent. The local stops are often parked in with either light trucks or people who just don't care. So I feel that removing the local stop could be given as loading spaces for trucks. Also has the city got anything on regulating how long a truck is supposed to be in a loading space? 

So to recap. Trucks are to be lightly fined or not at all between the hours of 10am and 2pm (heavy fines before and after, remove local bus stops between ocean avenue and ocean parkway( move the local ocean parkway stop adjacent to each other), give the old local bus stops for loading spaces for trucks.

This could help ease traffic some what before artics get on the route.   

Perhaps you could clarify what you posted for me. Are you saying that you would eliminate local bus stops in the segment you mentioned?  So delivery vehicles and the SBS service can have an easier time of it ? Just asking because if anyone wonders why bus ridership is decreasing ideas like this are part of reason why. Screw over part of the existing ridership base to speed up service on a route that really shouldn't exist in it's current incarnation.  Just my opinion though.  Carry on. 

19 minutes ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Perhaps you could clarify what you posted for me. Are you saying that you would eliminate local bus stops in the segment you mentioned?  So delivery vehicles and the SBS service can have an easier time of it ? Just asking because if anyone wonders why bus ridership is decreasing ideas like this are part of reason why. Screw over part of the existing ridership base to speed up service on a route that really shouldn't exist in it's current incarnation.  Just my opinion though.  Carry on. 

Along kings hwy between ocean parkway and ocean avenue the local stops are two blocks away from the stops the current B82 limited serves. Sometimes when I have witnessed people often park their cars or light delivery trucks there. Now being how the local stops are close to the limited stops I thought it could have been an idea maybe not good or bad to remove the local stops from that stretch of kings hwy and give those stops to truck loading. Trucks that are double parked causes congestion along with cars. They're also removing some local stops because they're too close to existing nearby stops and also have low ridership. Some of those local stops do have low ridership and being how cars are always parked in them why not just give those spaces to truck loading. It would help. The local B82 and B7 would probably be a little bit more faster and fight a little less with double parked vehicles in bus stops. 

All of the routes from Avenue J down to Avenue U have the same problem as the B/82 as the routes all traverse shopping areas from either Ocean Parkway or Coney Island Avenue to Ocean Avenue. Note Avenue J it is its to the East 16th Street.

The problem is that other than Avenue P all the streets are virtually one lane in each direction and there is  virtually  no off street parking on any of the streets. If a truck has to make a delivery in many cases it has no alternative but to double park and right away the street gets clogged up. What gets me angry is not the delivery trucks but the private cars that double park and make illegal u-turns on those streets. 

Do I think that anything will be done to help the B/82 other than stepped up traffic enforcement? Quite honestly, no and forget the traffic enforcement as whether it is the B/82, B/3, B/6, B/11 or B/9, the answer is a flat out no as that is what i define as moneyed Brooklyn and they come out to vote in big numbers. So while the B/82 will have the SBS tag, it will be the same B/82 as it did not carry the SBS tag on that section of Kings Highway.

Edited by Interested Rider
corrected id and changed it to did

7 hours ago, Interested Rider said:

All of the routes from Avenue J down to Avenue U have the same problem as the B/82 as the routes all traverse shopping areas from either Ocean Parkway or Coney Island Avenue to Ocean Avenue. Note Avenue J it is its to the East 16th Street.

The problem is that other than Avenue P all the streets are virtually one lane in each direction and there is  virtually  no off street parking on any of the streets. If a truck has to make a delivery in many cases it has no alternative but to double park and right away the street gets clogged up. What gets me angry is not the delivery trucks but the private cars that double park and make illegal u-turns on those streets. 

Do I think that anything will be done to help the B/82 other than stepped up traffic enforcement? Quite honestly, no and forget the traffic enforcement as whether it is the B/82, B/3, B/6, B/11 or B/9, the answer is a flat out no as that is what i define as moneyed Brooklyn and they come out to vote in big numbers. So while the B/82 will have the SBS tag, it will be the same B/82 as it did not carry the SBS tag on that section of Kings Highway.

They removed the local bus stops on avenue j between the train station and Coney Island Avenue. Gave them to truck delivery. 

7 hours ago, Interested Rider said:

Keen observations....

Although the talks around these parts have been centered about the (western portion of the) B82 as of late, when it comes to being stymied by traffic, the B3 out of that bunch is the worst of it AFAIC; buses are often stuck in it for longer distances, to boot.... This, to me, is what makes that route intolerable to have to rely on for actual commuting purposes.... I remember when the B3 was by far & large a school kid route & now that areas like Gravesend have grown, there is simply more activity/stop on that route....

The B11 reminds me of the M8 in that, those side streets in Borough Park are narrow enough.... Almost always some resident that'll "be right back" (leaving their car double parked) or some cheese bus picking up/alighting kids, blocking the way.... Worse than that, they take their sweet ass time getting out of the way so that oncoming traffic can pass, too.....

The B9 (60th st) used to move like the B6 does along Bay Pkwy (a little more free-flowing in western Brooklyn, compared to the rest of those aforementioned routes), but nowadays it's more akin to the B3 in that department...

As for motorists u-turning illegally, yeah, there's enough of that going on along Bay Pkwy.... I personally don't see much of that going on along Kings Hwy. around the Brighton line though.... Rarely do I see it on 60th, and I don't see it going on along Av. U as much as I used to......

• 1 month later...

I had a idea of 2 bus route changes and 1 bus  extension

the first two buses are the b32 and b24 i think the two bus routes should slightly switch thier  route 

I would have the b24 run on broadway to kent st and merge  onto franklin  ave continue on franklin ave and make a right on greenpoint ave  continue onto greenpoint ave and make a left on 45 st and right on queens blvd terminate at queens blvd and 46 st by 7 train station

B24 back to willamburg  

Drive on queens blvd make a right on greenpoint ave continue onto green point ave and make a left on franklin ave and then continue old b32 route to willamburg  from there.

The b32 to court sqaure in queens 

I would have the b32 make a left on broadway and a left on rodney ave cotinue on rodney ave and make a right on metropolitan  ave continue on metropolitan  ave then merge onto maspeth ave and make a left on kingsland ave continue  on kingland and make a left on meeker ave and a right on mcguinness blvd continue on mcguinness over pulaski bridge onto 11th st continue on 11 st and make a right on 44 dr 

B32 to willamburg

Make a right on 21 st  and  a right on 45 ave than make  a left on 11 st take 11st over pulaski bridge onto mcguinness blvd continue on mcguinness and make a left on meeker ave continue on meeker ave and make a right on kingsland ave and then continue old  b24 route to willamburg 

The last purposly  is the b39 to extend it to metropolitan ave   and union ave Via s5 st and union ave to metropolitan 

B39 to lower eastside via union ave and right on s4 st to willamburg then lower east side  i think this is a short extension and there is not bus that run on union ave just a thought 

11 hours ago, darrianQ60 said:

the first two buses are the b32 and b24 i think the two bus routes should slightly switch thier  route 

I would have the b24 run on broadway to kent st and merge  onto franklin  ave continue on franklin ave and make a right on greenpoint ave  continue onto greenpoint ave and make a left on 45 st and right on queens blvd terminate at queens blvd and 46 st by 7 train station

B24 back to willamburg  

Drive on queens blvd make a right on greenpoint ave continue onto green point ave and make a left on franklin ave and then continue old b32 route to willamburg  from there.

The b32 to court sqaure in queens 

I would have the b32 make a left on broadway and a left on rodney ave cotinue on rodney ave and make a right on metropolitan  ave continue on metropolitan  ave then merge onto maspeth ave and make a left on kingsland ave continue  on kingland and make a left on meeker ave and a right on mcguinness blvd continue on mcguinness over pulaski bridge onto 11th st continue on 11 st and make a right on 44 dr 

B32 to willamburg

Make a right on 21 st  and  a right on 45 ave than make  a left on 11 st take 11st over pulaski bridge onto mcguinness blvd continue on mcguinness and make a left on meeker ave continue on meeker ave and make a right on kingsland ave and then continue old  b24 route to willamburg 

The last purposly  is the b39 to extend it to metropolitan ave   and union ave Via s5 st and union ave to metropolitan 

B39 to lower eastside via union ave and right on s4 st to willamburg then lower east side  i think this is a short extension and there is not bus that run on union ave just a thought 

Leave everything alone with regards to the B24 and the B32. The last thing you need in the Brooklyn Division is a swap of terminals. That doesn't solve anything especially for the folks of Williamsburg, Greenpoint and Lower East Side. 

As for the B39. It's a shuttle ONLY and it is intended to be a supplement for (J)(M)(Z) service and not intended to veer off route. However, with the (L) train shutdown coming in the near future there needs to be some sort of functionality with the B39 serving the folks of the (L) train. A possible way to attract some customers in the outlining areas of Bushwick and Williamsburg or even a creation of a new route starting from Morgan Avenue to LES via Metro. 

4 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Leave everything alone with regards to the B24 and the B32. The last thing you need in the Brooklyn Division is a swap of terminals. That doesn't solve anything especially for the folks of Williamsburg, Greenpoint and Lower East Side. 

As for the B39. It's a shuttle ONLY and it is intended to be a supplement for (J)(M)(Z) service and not intended to veer off route. However, with the (L) train shutdown coming in the near future there needs to be some sort of functionality with the B39 serving the folks of the (L) train. A possible way to attract some customers in the outlining areas of Bushwick and Williamsburg or even a creation of a new route starting from Morgan Avenue to LES via Metro. 

One of the L train shuttle buses would go along grand avenue to soho or somewhere. If anything I think the B39 should take on that route when the shuttle is over. 

On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 10:55 PM, darrianQ60 said:

the first two buses are the b32 and b24 i think the two bus routes should slightly switch thier route......

** poorly formatted post truncated to save space **

I would just leave the Greenpoint spur of the B24 as a separate route & call it a day... If you really wanted to extend that spur of the B24, it would make more sense to run it up Franklin, to commercial, to Box, to end w/ the B43 @ Box/Manhattan, instead of connecting the waterfront community (Williamsburg end) w/ Sunnyside......

The B32 in Greenpoint (to/from LIC) is catching on, while the Williamsburg portion is rather stagnant... I don't think it's worth having those riders reverting back to putting up w/ the B62 just so that East Williamsburg has a direct connection to LIC (there's no latent demand for that, that I know of anyway).... Also, I simply don't agree with completely severing that connection b/w Brooklyn & industrial Maspeth (although Sunnyside patrons utilize B24's more to get to/from the (7)).....

As far as serving Union in some fashion... well, FWIW, I'd look into shifting the B48 off Lorimer up there, before I'd consider extending B39's.....

36 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

I would just leave the Greenpoint spur of the B24 as a separate route & call it a day... If you really wanted to extend that spur of the B24, it would make more sense to run it up Franklin, to commercial, to Box, to end w/ the B43 @ Box/Manhattan, instead of connecting the waterfront community (Williamsburg end) w/ Sunnyside......

The B32 in Greenpoint (to/from LIC) is catching on, while the Williamsburg portion is rather stagnant... I don't think it's worth having those riders reverting back to putting up w/ the B62 just so that East Williamsburg has a direct connection to LIC (there's no latent demand for that, that I know of anyway).... Also, I simply don't agree with completely severing that connection b/w Brooklyn & industrial Maspeth (although Sunnyside patrons utilize B24's more to get to/from the (7)).....

As far as serving Union in some fashion... well, FWIW, I'd look into shifting the B48 off Lorimer up there, before I'd consider extending B39's.....

As far as Union Avenue service is concerned I personally don't think there is a market for that segment. However, with a new route and enough convincing to move over to Union Ave than i can POSSIBLY see a market for this. To me the current 48 is long enough for its own good as it is from Flatbush to Greenpoint. Also, with this split it can service the waterfront area by Vernon Boulevard & Borden Avenue (7) train station. 

A possible split would look like this 

Route (A): B48 Empire/Flatbush (B)(Q)(S) to Flushing Avenue or Lormier Street (J)(M) 

Route (B). Union Avenue (G) to Vernon Boulevard- 44th Drive station (E)(M)(7)  via Union, Greenpoint. New route: B58. 

2 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

As far as Union Avenue service is concerned I personally don't think there is a market for that segment. However, with a new route and enough convincing to move over to Union Ave than i can POSSIBLY see a market for this. To me the current 48 is long enough for its own good as it is from Flatbush to Greenpoint. Also, with this split it can service the waterfront area by Vernon Boulevard & Borden Avenue (7) train station. 

A possible split would look like this 

Route (A): B48 Empire/Flatbush (B)(Q)(S) to Flushing Avenue or Lormier Street (J)(M) 

Route (B). Union Avenue (G) to Vernon Boulevard- 44th Drive station (E)(M)(7)  via Union, Greenpoint. New route: B58. 

You probably mean [Broadway (G)] to [Court Sq]; E/M doesn't serve Vernon Blvd....

Anyway, the only way I would have a bus serving Union av is if the B48 were to be taken off Lorimer (which I'm not exactly advocating for).... Splitting the B48 so that Union av can have bus service would have that "route B" you mention, carrying quite a bit of air, the way I see it.... The B48 north of Broadway isn't doing so great & hasn't done so for years now.... Greenpoint patrons specifically turned the other cheek (so to speak) to the route & I can't say that I blame them.... Sucks, because it used to carry heavy within Greenpoint alone....

1 minute ago, B35 via Church said:

You probably mean [Broadway (G)] to [Court Sq]; E/M doesn't serve Vernon Blvd....

Anyway, the only way I would have a bus serving Union av is if the B48 were to be taken off Lorimer (which I'm not exactly advocating for).... Splitting the B48 so that Union av can have bus service would have that "route B" you mention, carrying quite a bit of air, the way I see it.... The B48 north of Broadway isn't doing so great & hasn't done so for years now.... Greenpoint patrons specifically turned the other cheek (so to speak) to the route & I can't say that I blame them.... Sucks, because it used to carry heavy within Greenpoint alone....

Yes. You have a good point. For years Greenpoint is mostly dependent on the B43 and is also car centric. Even to the effect there's no crosstown service on McGuiness. 

The only way I see logically for the B48 to be remove from Lormier to Union is that you have to attract a good market that's willing to sit on a bus from Union Avenue. 

Took a early morning trip into Queens via Union Avenue (G) shuttle was operating and I pretty much said to myself that if a route operated via Union, McCarren Park, Greenpoint Waterfront or even Long Island City-Astoria waterfront it can attract a decent market. 

PS: I want to see what effect the 48 does when the (L) train shuts down. I'm interested. 

Is there any reason that the B32 terminates near Court Square instead of going to the heart of LIC? Is it to address potentially threats to reliability by throwing it into the Jackson Avenue madhouse, or do they not want it canabilizing the B62's sad ridership?

Heck if it were up to me, I'd just send the b32 up Jackson Avenue fresh off the Pulaski Bridge up to 23 Street, serve Court House Square, then run up north under the elevated to Queens Plaza South, have it make a right onto said road, run to 28 Street, make the right and dump right where the Q66 does pickups. Then to reverse back down to Brooklyn, it can make a right on 42 road, run to 23 Street, make a left and business as usual..

1 hour ago, Orion6025 said:

Is there any reason that the B32 terminates near Court Square instead of going to the heart of LIC? Is it to address potentially threats to reliability by throwing it into the Jackson Avenue madhouse, or do they not want it canabilizing the B62's sad ridership?

Heck if it were up to me, I'd just send the b32 up Jackson Avenue fresh off the Pulaski Bridge up to 23 Street, serve Court House Square, then run up north under the elevated to Queens Plaza South, have it make a right onto said road, run to 28 Street, make the right and dump right where the Q66 does pickups. Then to reverse back down to Brooklyn, it can make a right on 42 road, run to 23 Street, make a left and business as usual..

Stingy with bus service. The trip to Court Square is 25 minutes in the day, so that would have meant an extra bus needed.

12 hours ago, Orion6025 said:

Is there any reason that the B32 terminates near Court Square instead of going to the heart of LIC? Is it to address potentially threats to reliability by throwing it into the Jackson Avenue madhouse, or do they not want it cannibalizing the B62's sad ridership?

That's probably part of it. The other part is probably to avoid meeting up with the Q32.

16 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Yes. You have a good point. For years Greenpoint is mostly dependent on the B43 and is also car centric. Even to the effect there's no crosstown service on McGuiness. 

The only way I see logically for the B48 to be remove from Lormier to Union is that you have to attract a good market that's willing to sit on a bus from Union Avenue. 

Took a early morning trip into Queens via Union Avenue (G) shuttle was operating and I pretty much said to myself that if a route operated via Union, McCarren Park, Greenpoint Waterfront or even Long Island City-Astoria waterfront it can attract a decent market. 

PS: I want to see what effect the 48 does when the (L) train shuts down. I'm interested. 

The real question is - What do those people in that general vicinity (around the B48 route, north of Broadway) want/need when it comes to bus service? Because as I see it, NB usage on the B48 past the (J) is atrocious from those folks & service due south suffices as far as Fulton..... I remember reading somewhere that the route overall lost more than half its ridership in a 3 year span - Which tells me that the southern portion of the route is more patronized.....

In saying all that, I don't think running B39's to Union will help much.......

13 hours ago, Orion6025 said:

What's funny about the latter is that it's already happening.....

I believe the answer is the former though... The waterfront community wanted reliable service (which of course, is a direct dig at the B62) to Queens.