Brooklyn Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

B36 Via Ave U

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

Nah that is just stupid and is asking for trouble. Cutting the B41 bergen beach branch off from the 2 and 5 train to only rush hours? That doesn't even make sense. This is my neighborhood and people would literally be pissed off. No one here needs the B9 except those who need it to go in that direction and that is a select few. The bergen beach branch literally is a direct connection to a train in 15 to 20 minutes. The 41 is okay it just needs more buses or buses following a decent time schedule. On top of that there are better alternatives to other areas in this area. The B3, 6, 7, 82, and 100. 

If that's the case, I'd leave the B9 at Flatbush Avenue/Avenue L and have the B80 serve as the sole Bay Ridge-Kings Plaza route. Flatbush Avenue south of the (2)(5) trains is already well-served by the B41 and Q35, and the B9 only serves KP during the daytime.

Edited by lara8710

2 minutes ago, lara8710 said:

If that's the case, I'd leave the B9 at Flatbush Avenue/Avenue L and have the B80 serve as the sole Bay Ridge-Kings Plaza route.

I don't feel that the B80 would have to go to kings plaza. You can have it serve the avenue p route and end at bay ridge. Have the B80 connect with the B82 and B7 so people can transfer. Leave the B9 at its current route. 

9 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

Nah that is just stupid and is asking for trouble. Cutting the B41 bergen beach branch off from the 2 and 5 train to only rush hours? That doesn't even make sense. This is my neighborhood and people would literally be pissed off. No one here needs the B9 except those who need it to go in that direction and that is a select few. The bergen beach branch literally is a direct connection to a train in 15 to 20 minutes. The 41 is okay it just needs more buses or buses following a decent time schedule. On top of that there are better alternatives to other areas in this area. The B3, 6, 7, 82, and 100. 

Don't agree. How much use do you think the B41 Bergen Beach gets outside of rush hours? It's very light. How do you know no one needs the B9 when it isn't there now? The advantage of the extending the B9 eastbound is to connect with the B46 and B47. Those passengers need three buses to use the B9 so they find more indirect routes to make their trips. If there was no B41 outside of rush hours, how long do you think it would take to get to the Avenue M station instead? I think travel times are similar. More buses won't help the B41. If you want reliable service you would have to run shuttles from Flatbush Nostrand.  

3 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

I don't feel that the B80 would have to go to kings plaza. You can have it serve the avenue p route and end at bay ridge. Have the B80 connect with the B82 and B7 so people can transfer. Leave the B9 at its current route. 

Now the issue here is what to do with the B2. That route has seen better days, and in more recent decades has experienced falling ridership. Some might say to keep the B2 as is, but it could get a ridership boost by being extended westward as BrooklynBus suggested with one of his route proposals.

1 minute ago, BrooklynBus said:

Don't agree. How much use do you think the B41 Bergen Beach gets outside of rush hours? It's very light. How do you know no one needs the B9 when it isn't there now? The advantage of the extending the B9 eastbound is to connect with the B46 and B47. Those passengers need three buses to use the B9 so they find more indirect routes to make their trips. If there was no B41 outside of rush hours, how long do you think it would take to get to the Avenue M station instead? I think travel times are similar. More buses won't help the B41. If you want reliable service you would have to run shuttles from Flatbush Nostrand.  

I don't agree. I know how much the B41 Bergen Beach branch get used because I currently use it for work and have used it for many years for school because this is the neighborhood I grew up in. Yeah the B41 is light outside of rush hours but even still the B9 isn't the primary transfer needed for this area. People in this area don't really rely on going to avenue M train station because as I said before there are way better alternatives to get to the Q train. The B2, 3, 6, 7, 82, and 100. All in which can get to the Q train faster than the B9. The B9 has issues along its route because of 1 constant turns and 2 congestion. The other routes in this area can get these passengers to a train faster. If theres people who need the B9 to get to the q train or where ever again there are better alternatives for them. The B46 and 47 all have transfers to those other routes I listed. 

7 minutes ago, lara8710 said:

Now the issue here is what to do with the B2. That route has seen better days, and in more recent decades has experienced falling ridership. Some might say to keep the B2 as is, but it could get a ridership boost by being extended westward as BrooklynBus suggested with one of his route proposals.

I guess it can use a boost by extending it. 

4 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

I don't agree. I know how much the B41 Bergen Beach branch get used because I currently use it for work and have used it for many years for school because this is the neighborhood I grew up in. Yeah the B41 is light outside of rush hours but even still the B9 isn't the primary transfer needed for this area. People in this area don't really rely on going to avenue M train station because as I said before there are way better alternatives to get to the Q train. The B2, 3, 6, 7, 82, and 100. All in which can get to the Q train faster than the B9. The B9 has issues along its route because of 1 constant turns and 2 congestion. The other routes in this area can get these passengers to a train faster. If theres people who need the B9 to get to the q train or where ever again there are better alternatives for them. The B46 and 47 all have transfers to those other routes I listed. 

Like the B9, not all B80 buses have to run the entire route. I'd have buses from Bay Ridge short-turn at the (B)(Q) station at Kings Highway during early morning and late evening hours as the B9 does at Flatbush Avenue/Avenue L.

Edited by lara8710

2 hours ago, lara8710 said:

I would also add in overnight service to the Bergen Beach branch of the B41 when the B9 isn't running.

That’s part of my modified B9 proposal, which coincidentally affects the area where I live. The new Proposal F would be as follows:

• B9 service would be rerouted via Avenue N to Bergen Beach-Veterans Avenue B41 terminal
  • B41 service on Avenue N, which would be renamed the B91, will operate during rush hours and overnights only
  • B11 service would be extended via Avenue K to Georgetown Shopping Center at Ralph Avenue, which has a Fairway Grocery store (don’t see many of those in Brooklyn).

This could allow for better service to both the (2)/ (5) and the (B)(Q) from my area, which would be a big boon for potential newcomers. Maybe in the future I might consider a B41/B91 on the route and both routes would run from 5:00 AM to 1:00 AM. Avenue N stops would be at Utica Av, Ralph Av, and East 71st St. The B9 would make local stops on the route.

Once all said and done, Old Mill Basin, Georgetown, and Flatlands residents, such as myself, will stand to receive better service. The B11 and B41/91 would give Old Mill Basin and Georgetown residents will have multiple options from the (2)(5) to get home and reduce waiting time. In fact, I’m even on the B41 to Bergen Beach as I type this.

1 hour ago, Brillant93 said:

Never said the B41 was not used during rush hours but a successful route cannot nearly operate empty the rest of the time unless it only operates during rush hours. How do you know a B9 transfer is not needed? If you made another argument like many Bergen Beach riders currently transfer to other routes intersecting the B41, then I could understand your argument for it to run all times instead of swapping it with the B9.

As far as better ways to get to the Q there are none. If you are south of Avenue N, you can use the B100. But if you live between K and L you have nearly a 3/4 mile walk to the B6 walking north or over a 3/4 mile walk going south. The 2, 3, 7 and 82 are even further walks.

28 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

BrooklynBus must have you two (Lara & BrooklynBusC99) on payroll.....

I am honored because I don't know who they are.

2 hours ago, BrooklynBus said:

I agree. I also live two blocks from the area and I have personally seen the B41 Bergen Branch empty during weekends. I’m even on the B41 heading home from college and right now, my bus has decent crowds. Other times, it barely exists.

1 hour ago, BrooklynBus said:

Never said the B41 was not used during rush hours but a successful route cannot nearly operate empty the rest of the time unless it only operates during rush hours. How do you know a B9 transfer is not needed? If you made another argument like many Bergen Beach riders currently transfer to other routes intersecting the B41, then I could understand your argument for it to run all times instead of swapping it with the B9.

As far as better ways to get to the Q there are none. If you are south of Avenue N, you can use the B100. But if you live between K and L you have nearly a 3/4 mile walk to the B6 walking north or over a 3/4 mile walk going south. The 2, 3, 7 and 82 are even further walks.

Bergen beach riders do transfer to other routes as well and some even the B9. Plus the B41 isn’t empty outside of rush hours that is just not factual at all, is it crowded? No but used yes. Then on top of that you have school kids and staff that use it before rush hour. I never said a B9 route was never needed but it’s not needed as much as a direct connection to Flatbush junction. 

It’s also false that saying that there isn’t a better alternative to the Q train because as I stated before there are and especially faster ones. The B82 is literally a few blocks from Avenue K and L, the B6 is a quick transfer from the B46 and 47, and other options. 

I have a field job in which I have to take different routes certain days and including the 41. Cutting off the B41 from Bergen beach to only rush hours is asking for trouble. 

1 hour ago, Brillant93 said:

Bergen beach riders do transfer to other routes as well and some even the B9. Plus the B41 isn’t empty outside of rush hours that is just not factual at all, is it crowded? No but used yes. Then on top of that you have school kids and staff that use it before rush hour. I never said a B9 route was never needed but it’s not needed as much as a direct connection to Flatbush junction. 

It’s also false that saying that there isn’t a better alternative to the Q train because as I stated before there are and especially faster ones. The B82 is literally a few blocks from Avenue K and L, the B6 is a quick transfer from the B46 and 47, and other options. 

I have a field job in which I have to take different routes certain days and including the 41. Cutting off the B41 from Bergen beach to only rush hours is asking for trouble. 

I am sure that a few Bergen Beach riders do transfer to other routes but the question is how many and if it is more than would transfer from the B46 and 47 to the 9 if a transfer existed. As for how well utilized the B41 Bergen Beach is utilized, if warranted service could start at Line 2 PM instead of just rush hours like was done for the B4 she. It was cut back to Coney Island Hospital. 

You keep saying there are better alternatives to the Q when there aren't. You cite the B82 which is over a quarter mile from Avenue K if you are near Ralph Avenue. Avenue L is three quarters of a mile from the B82. And what does the B6 to B46 or 47 transfer have to do with anything? It is irrelevant because you would need two buses to get to the Q and still have to walk up to a quarter mile to reach the B46 or B47.

1 minute ago, BrooklynBus said:

I am sure that a few Bergen Beach riders do transfer to other routes but the question is how many and if it is more than would transfer from the B46 and 47 to the 9 if a transfer existed. As for how well utilized the B41 Bergen Beach is utilized, if warranted service could start at Line 2 PM instead of just rush hours like was done for the B4 she. It was cut back to Coney Island Hospital. 

You keep saying there are better alternatives to the Q when there aren't. You cite the B82 which is over a quarter mile from Avenue K if you are near Ralph Avenue. Avenue L is three quarters of a mile from the B82. And what does the B6 to B46 or 47 transfer have to do with anything? It is irrelevant because you would need two buses to get to the Q and still have to walk up to a quarter mile to reach the B46 or B47.

Some people walk and they do it. I’m not sure who transfers from he B47 or 46 but if they do it’s to a 2 and 5 train connection. I walk to the B82 sometimes and other times I transfer from the B47. We have options here.

17 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

Some people walk and they do it. I’m not sure who transfers from he B47 or 46 but if they do it’s to a 2 and 5 train connection. I walk to the B82 sometimes and other times I transfer from the B47. We have options here.

Yes a few people might walk a quarter mile to a half mile, but is it optimal? No. And what about the people who are not able to walk that distance and would those who do choose to walk do it in bad weather? I doubt it. We were talking about getting to the Q so who takes the 46 or 47 to another train is irrelevant. 

12 minutes ago, BrooklynBus said:

Yes a few people might walk a quarter mile to a half mile, but is it optimal? No. And what about the people who are not able to walk that distance and would those who do choose to walk do it in bad weather? I doubt it. We were talking about getting to the Q so who takes the 46 or 47 to another train is irrelevant. 

Then using Avenue k or l would be my suggestion. I would propose a bus on those avenues. 

12 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

Then using Avenue k or l would be my suggestion. I would propose a bus on those avenues. 

For an Avenue K bus, he did propose an extension of the B11 via Avenue J/K to the Georgetown Shopping Center in 2004 to accompany the B9 reroute. Now that it is 2019, that proposal can be improved, especially since there is a Fairway Grocer location (which not only is this the second one in Brooklyn, they have a great take-n-bake pizza, which I, living a few blocks away from that store, is absolutely phenomenal) in the area. To better serve that location, I would propose that instead of the Avenue J/K routing from 2004, the route would use Avenue K in both directions. The routing turnaround would utilize East 59th Street, Avenue l, and terminate at Ralph Avenue and Avenue L, on the side closest to the shopping center and the Fairway location. This would improve access to the shopping center and reduce walking distances for area residents, like me, to reach buses. I’m my case, the B11 on Avenue k would reduce my walk by 1 block.

17 hours ago, lara8710 said:

It's supposed to be an extension of the regular B36 route via Avenue U, but a glitch on Google Maps somehow erased my route modifications and routed it along Belt Parkway, so I had to start over.

So what about that B69 backtracking to serve Bergen st (2)(3) before running to DUMBO.... That a glitch too, or no?

17 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

B12: Streamlining the B12 and missing most of the hospital like that, does more harm than good. Yeah it's straighter, but are people on Empire gonna use it all of a sudden compared to New York Avenue and Albany Aves? You're also leaving a pretty big gap there, as your plan will replace the B12 there with.....nothing.

B66: If the point is to connecting people to Flatbush/Nostrand, people might as well make their way to the B11. I don't see the need for such a route to do all of that. Don't have an issue with a 13/14 Avenue route.

B67: The B67 needs to return to it's pre-2010 routing if anything. The B67 (especially in Downtown Brooklyn) is trying to do everything, which hurts reliability because of traffic conditions. I was thinking of combining the B57 south of Fulton with the current weekday B67 north of Fulton (except it would run daily), and extend that route north into commercial Williamsburg (not just the Bridge Plaza). Also, I'm not sure about ridership patterns on the old B23 too much, but I don't think that just because the B67 is covering said portion of the B23, the riders on that portion will just come back.

* He doesn't have it on his map now, but I did see that B12 idea that basically backtracked to KCH (via Empire & via Nostrand).... Anything that involves straightening the B12 [on Empire from Alabama (J)] or [on Clarkson from Lefferts Gardens] I can't concur with.... Too many people on that route trying to get to the (J) from this general pocket of the borough....

* His latest rendition of a "B66" doesn't run near the Junction now.... It's been edited to that of something eerily similar to an old B23 idea I had..... What did his prior B66 entail (that had it going to the junction)?

* The B67 needs to return to its pre-2010 service levels on top of its pre-2010 full time terminal at Jay/Sands..... The Navy Yard bit is a 3qK8ocp.gif.... If it's anything that should run up to Williamsburg, it's the B69 (and not through the Navy Yard either)....

16 hours ago, lara8710 said:

Instead of the B79, would a B14 reroute to the (Q) be ideal? After all, a B14 extension to Parkside Avenue could be an alternative to the B12 for East New York commuters, at least on paper.

What's funny about the B12 & the B14 over around ENY/Pitkin is that both riderbases are flat out oblivious to each other... Nobody using the 12's thinking about a 14 & vice versa.... So to then inquire about running the B14 all the way out to Flatbush (really, Ocean) av to have B12's diverted & cut back to KCH the way you originally had it, is nothing short of stupid to me....

You are coming up with all these ideas at the drop of a hat for nothing more than acceptance on here & it's getting kind of irritating.... Doesn't help that you're using one man's prior ideas as some sort of template.... Don't you have any ideals of your own?

You would think it'd be about making people's commutes better, but have you tell it, I guess that ship has sailed....

giphy.gif

7 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

* He doesn't have it on his map now, but I did see that B12 idea that basically backtracked to KCH (via Empire & via Nostrand).... Anything that involves straightening the B12 [on Empire from Alabama (J)] or [on Clarkson from Lefferts Gardens] I can't concur with.... Too many people on that route trying to get to the (J) from this general pocket of the borough....

* His latest rendition of a "B66" doesn't run near the Junction now.... It's been edited to that of something eerily similar to an old B23 idea I had..... What did his prior B66 entail (that had it going to the junction)?

* The B67 needs to return to its pre-2010 service levels on top of its pre-2010 full time terminal at Jay/Sands..... The Navy Yard bit is a 3qK8ocp.gif.... If it's anything that should run up to Williamsburg, it's the B69 (and not through the Navy Yard either)....

The B66 idea that he had was going down Nostrand (up NY Avenue), but turning at Glenwood (just shy of the Junction). 

I can agree with rerouting the B69 to Williamsburg.

On 1/26/2019 at 7:01 PM, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

The B66 idea that he had was going down Nostrand (up NY Avenue), but turning at Glenwood (just shy of the Junction). 

I can agree with rerouting the B69 to Williamsburg.

On my map I now extended the B66 toward Canarsie Plaza, and the route along Avenue P and Bay Ridge Avenue has been renumbered as the B79 and cut back to the (B)(Q) station at Kings Highway.

Though I live in the Bronx and use their buses pretty frequently, I opted not to do a route restructuring there because I have a feeling that all of the Bronx routes should stay the way they are--besides, I'm looking to move out of that borough soon after graduating college.

Edited by lara8710

17 minutes ago, lara8710 said:

On my map I now extended the B66 toward Canarsie Plaza, and the route along Avenue P and Bay Ridge Avenue has been renumbered as the B79 and cut back to the (B)(Q) station at Kings Highway.

While I agree with extending the B66 to Canarsie Plaza, I honestly don't feel that the B79 should terminate at Kings Hwy (B)(Q), since it would connect to three low performing subway feeder routes (B2, B31, B100). All three routes have the ability to do better and gain more ridership, so here's what I would do (Note this will evolve into multiple proposals affecting multiple lines in multiple neighborhoods beyond the B79 service areas):

• The B79 would be combined with the B2 along Avenue R and Avenue S to Kings Plaza, providing for new Bay Ridge-Kings Plaza service from areas of Bensonhurst far from bus and subway service. The route should also travel along 65th Street instead of the narrow Bay Ridge Avenue and 70th between Bay Pkwy and 13th Avenue to provide for alternative service to the (N) train for disabled passengers. Service would operate every 8 minutes during the weekdays and 12 minutes during the weekends. Overnight service would operate every 20 minutes.
  • The B9 would be rerouted via Avenue N to Veterans Av/East 71st Street, replacing midday, evening, and weekend B41 Avenue N service. B41 Avenue N service would operate during rush hours (10 minutes) and overnights (20 minutes) only. B9 service would operate every 6 minutes during weekdays and 8 minutes during weekends. Bay Ridge - Kings Plaza service would be provided by combined B2/B79 service, while a three-legged transfer would be provided for the B9 and B41 to Kings Plaza for Bergen Beach.
  • The B11 would be extended along Avenue K to Ralph Avenue and Avenue L to provide new service to Georgetown Shopping Center, and replace lost B41 service by providing new service to both the Nostrand Avenue (2)(5) station and the Brighton (Q) line, which would help with redundancies if one of those lines is delayed or unavailable. Weekday frequencies may not change, but weekend service would operate every 12 minutes during the weekend, a big improvement over the current B41 Bergen Beach headways during that time.

Also, do you have any idea on how frequent your services would be running, if you were to make your own schedule for your routes?

In addition, to make transferring between bus and subway routes easier during the overnight hours (1:00 AM and 5:00 PM), new holding lights would be installed at key subway-bus hubs to facilitate at connections. This system is being used at Coney Island hold Coney Island-bound B36 buses at Stillwell Avenue and Surf Avenue and Spring Creek-bound B82 Local buses at the Mermaid Bus Loop for connecting with arriving (Q) trains. This will be expanded to several locations, such as:

• Flatbush/Nostrand (2). Connection with Shespshead Bay-bound B44 Local, Kings Plaza-bound B41 Local, and Rockaway Park-bound Q35 buses. Connections with the B6 are under consideration due to its location at Glenwood Road/Nostrand Av rather than in front of station entrances, which could affect the hold times.
  • Utica Avenue (4). Connection with Spring Creek-bound B14, Canarsie-bound B17, and Kings Plaza-bound B46 Local buses.
  • Kings Hwy (Q) to connect with B82 Local buses in both directions (coordinated with arrival of Coney Island-bound (Q) trains)
  • Sheepshead Bay (Q). Connection with B36 buses in both directions in coordination with Coney Island-bound (Q) trains
  • Brighton Beach (Q). Connection with Manhattan Beach-bound B1 buses in coordination with Coney Island-bound (Q) trains
  • Rockaway Parkway (L). Connection with Pier-bound B42, and Spring Creek-bound B82 Local buses.

This proposal, while not related to bus route changes in any way, will make commuting by bus and train easier during the overnight hours, especially in areas with no subway service. To further compliment this, all overnight bus service would run every 20 minutes, just like the subway, benefitting those who live along the routes at that time.

11 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

While I agree with extending the B66 to Canarsie Plaza, I honestly don't feel that the B79 should terminate at Kings Hwy (B)(Q), since it would connect to three low performing subway feeder routes (B2, B31, B100). All three routes have the ability to do better and gain more ridership, so here's what I would do (Note this will evolve into multiple proposals affecting multiple lines in multiple neighborhoods beyond the B79 service areas):

• The B79 would be combined with the B2 along Avenue R and Avenue S to Kings Plaza, providing for new Bay Ridge-Kings Plaza service from areas of Bensonhurst far from bus and subway service. The route should also travel along 65th Street instead of the narrow Bay Ridge Avenue and 70th between Bay Pkwy and 13th Avenue to provide for alternative service to the (N) train for disabled passengers. Service would operate every 8 minutes during the weekdays and 12 minutes during the weekends. Overnight service would operate every 20 minutes.
  • The B9 would be rerouted via Avenue N to Veterans Av/East 71st Street, replacing midday, evening, and weekend B41 Avenue N service. B41 Avenue N service would operate during rush hours (10 minutes) and overnights (20 minutes) only. B9 service would operate every 6 minutes during weekdays and 8 minutes during weekends. Bay Ridge - Kings Plaza service would be provided by combined B2/B79 service, while a three-legged transfer would be provided for the B9 and B41 to Kings Plaza for Bergen Beach.
  • The B11 would be extended along Avenue K to Ralph Avenue and Avenue L to provide new service to Georgetown Shopping Center, and replace lost B41 service by providing new service to both the Nostrand Avenue (2)(5) station and the Brighton (Q) line, which would help with redundancies if one of those lines is delayed or unavailable. Weekday frequencies may not change, but weekend service would operate every 12 minutes during the weekend, a big improvement over the current B41 Bergen Beach headways during that time.

Also, do you have any idea on how frequent your services would be running, if you were to make your own schedule for your routes?

In addition, to make transferring between bus and subway routes easier during the overnight hours (1:00 AM and 5:00 PM), new holding lights would be installed at key subway-bus hubs to facilitate at connections. This system is being used at Coney Island hold Coney Island-bound B36 buses at Stillwell Avenue and Surf Avenue and Spring Creek-bound B82 Local buses at the Mermaid Bus Loop for connecting with arriving (Q) trains. This will be expanded to several locations, such as:

• Flatbush/Nostrand (2). Connection with Shespshead Bay-bound B44 Local, Kings Plaza-bound B41 Local, and Rockaway Park-bound Q35 buses. Connections with the B6 are under consideration due to its location at Glenwood Road/Nostrand Av rather than in front of station entrances, which could affect the hold times.
  • Utica Avenue (4). Connection with Spring Creek-bound B14, Canarsie-bound B17, and Kings Plaza-bound B46 Local buses.
  • Kings Hwy (Q) to connect with B82 Local buses in both directions (coordinated with arrival of Coney Island-bound (Q) trains)
  • Sheepshead Bay (Q). Connection with B36 buses in both directions in coordination with Coney Island-bound (Q) trains
  • Brighton Beach (Q). Connection with Manhattan Beach-bound B1 buses in coordination with Coney Island-bound (Q) trains
  • Rockaway Parkway (L). Connection with Pier-bound B42, and Spring Creek-bound B82 Local buses.

This proposal, while not related to bus route changes in any way, will make commuting by bus and train easier during the overnight hours, especially in areas with no subway service. To further compliment this, all overnight bus service would run every 20 minutes, just like the subway, benefitting those who live along the routes at that time.

Those were similar ideas proposed by BrooklynBus yet there's a lot of people here who disagree with the suggested changes. In an article about the 1978 Brooklyn route restructuring I read that the MTA rejected a route proposal along 65th Street because it ran too close to the B9 five blocks to the north. On the other hand, running the B79 via Bay Ridge Avenue and 70th Street would reduce redundancy to the B9 yet still provide direct access to the (D) train at 71st Street which has no crosstown bus; the (N) train can be served at the Bay Parkway station.

I cut back this route to Kings Highway in response to some members claiming that Kings Plaza doesn't need a second bus route to Bay Ridge and that the B2 should be left alone. Bay Ridge to Kings Plaza is already sufficiently served by the B9.

Edited by lara8710

14 minutes ago, lara8710 said:

Those were similar ideas proposed by BrooklynBus yet there's a lot of people here who disagree with the suggested changes. In an article about the 1978 Brooklyn route restructuring I read that the MTA rejected a route proposal along 65th Street because it ran too close to the B9 five blocks to the north. On the other hand, running the B79 via Bay Ridge Avenue and 70th Street would reduce redundancy to the B9 yet still provide direct access to the (D) train at 71st Street which has no crosstown bus; the (N) train can be served at the Bay Parkway station.

I cut back this route to Kings Highway in response to some members claiming that Kings Plaza doesn't need a second bus route to Bay Ridge and that the B2 should be left alone. Bay Ridge to Kings Plaza is already sufficiently served by the B9.

I just want that gap between 60th Street and Bay Ridge Pkwy to be closed, because 10 blocks to nearest bus? I wouldn't want to ride. Also, I was not suggesting both the B2 and B9 to Kings Plaza. Rather, the B2 would service Kings Plaza, while the B9 can work its crosstown potential and run to Bergen Beach, with B41 service retained (I also suggested a three-legged transfer on the B9 and B41). Plus the B2 service to the mall would be 24 hours a day, a big service enhancement.

Plus, I don't get why people won't want a B9 to Bergen Beach. The route would serve people going crosstown across Brooklyn without having to take the subway into Downtown Brooklyn and transferring there, or making a two bus transfer (if using a third route, it can cost them another fare). There would also be an easier connection between the B9 and the B46, which is popular, but in the WRONG place.

Students at Edward R. Murrow High School and FDR High School who live in the Old Mill Basin and Bergen Beach areas would also stand to benefit from the B9 change as they would have a one seat ride to their schools, which would allow them to do their homework all the way to their stop. I, a former Murrow student myself, can see the students commutes cut by 5-10 minutes, reducing lateness to their first classes. It would also provide those Murrow students with additional options if the (Q) was delayed or rerouted due to incidents on the Brighton Line, which have occurred a couple of times when I went to school.

The main reasoning for these proposals is to allow for easier connections and more redundancy in case of service incidents, but feel free to disagree.

Also, what do you think of my holding lights proposal?

Edited by JeremiahC99

35 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

I just want that gap between 60th Street and Bay Ridge Pkwy to be closed, because 10 blocks to nearest bus? I wouldn't want to ride. Also, I was not suggesting both the B2 and B9 to Kings Plaza. Rather, the B2 would service Kings Plaza, while the B9 can work its crosstown potential and run to Bergen Beach, with B41 service retained (I also suggested a three-legged transfer on the B9 and B41). Plus the B2 service to the mall would be 24 hours a day, a big service enhancement.

Plus, I don't get why people won't want a B9 to Bergen Beach. The route would serve people going crosstown across Brooklyn without having to take the subway into Downtown Brooklyn and transferring there, or making a two bus transfer (if using a third route, it can cost them another fare). There would also be an easier connection between the B9 and the B46, which is popular, but in the WRONG place.

Students at Edward R. Murrow High School and FDR High School who live in the Old Mill Basin and Bergen Beach areas would also stand to benefit from the B9 change as they would have a one seat ride to their schools, which would allow them to do their homework all the way to their stop. I, a former Murrow student myself, can see the students commutes cut by 5-10 minutes, reducing lateness to their first classes. It would also provide those Murrow students with additional options if the (Q) was delayed or rerouted due to incidents on the Brighton Line, which have occurred a couple of times when I went to school.

The main reasoning for these proposals is to allow for easier connections and more redundancy in case of service incidents, but feel free to disagree.

Also, what do you think of my holding lights proposal?

Your holding lights proposal certainly sounds like an excellent idea, as it discourages missed transfers and gives commuters more time to connect.

For your new Bay Ridge-Kings Plaza bus proposal, would you run all buses along the full route? (The B9 short-turns at Avenue L/Flatbush Avenue during early morning and late evening hours). And if you plan to run it overnight, I'd end overnight service at the (D)(N) station at 62nd Street as opposed to running it toward Shore Road.

Edited by lara8710

6 minutes ago, lara8710 said:

Your holding lights proposal certainly sounds like an excellent idea, as it discourages missed transfers and gives commuters more time to connect.

For your new Bay Ridge-Kings Plaza bus proposal, would you run all buses along the full route? (The B9 short-turns at Avenue L/Flatbush Avenue during early morning and late evening hours).

Whether or not the B9 will go to Bergen Beach, I  would still operate short turns during the early morning and late evening hours. However, I would extend them from Avenue L/Flatbush Avenue to Flatbush Avenue/Avenue P so that during those times, B41 passengers can have a safer place to transfer between the B41 and B9.

Prior to May 2014, I would take the B41 to the B9 to get to school. During the early days, I would wait at Avenue P for around 40 minutes for the B9 since the short turns did not serve Flatbush Avenue. After a while, I started to transfer at Kings Hwy, crossing the very dangerous intersection of Kings Hwy/Flatbush Avenue. Both options were very painful to endure during the very cold winter months. By extending those short turns to Avenue P, turning around via East 45th Street and Flatbush Avenue, transfers are very seamless, eliminating very long waits in the cold and crossing dangerous intersections. Very conviene for all riders.

Thanks for the feedback for the holding lights proposal. It can even help me when I have to stay out late, like for parties at the house of my friends girlfriend. In fact, they should’ve done this a long time ago.