Brooklyn Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

B36 Via Ave U

Another thing that was great about the B64 for folks traveling from Sheepshead Bay to say Staten Island was that it gave you the option of doing the following:

(Q) train from Sheepshead Bay to Coney Island, and then transferring to the B64 at the Coney Island terminal, which I used quite a bit to get to the S53 years ago. It allowed you to bypass the long go on the B4 plus the walk or the stupid transfer to the slow (R) train to 86th street to get to the S53 and cut down the commute time somewhat. The (MTA) doesn't seem to realize that there is no east-west service in South Brooklyn that is quick for folks commuting from say Sheepshead Bay to Bay Ridge or even to Staten Island, which sucks royally. That's why I resorted to the X10 from Staten Island to the city and the BM3 back to Sheepshead Bay from Downtown. It isn't the quickest route per say, but it lowers the amount of transfers I need and is somewhat less stressful to be honest, since I could stop off and get a quick lunch before continuing on the BM3.

And you are most certainly right about the B64. That's exactly what I used it for... 86th street.

EVERYONE STOP. What is wrong with the B1? You can connect to it at Ocean Parkway. Why is everyone so upset with new B64 routing?

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
EVERYONE STOP. What is wrong with the B1? You can connect to it at Ocean Parkway. Why is everyone so upset with new B64 routing?

Are you kidding me?? The B1 is out of the way for me and would require me to transfer to it from the B49 or take the (Q) train and transfer there in Brighton Beach. If I'm going to do all of that I might as well just take the B36 over to the B4 and do that long schlepp to Bay Ridge. :tdown::tdown: The B64 is MUCH quicker and not nearly as packed as the B1 gets and moves faster. It's about CHOICES my friend...

Are you kidding me?? The B1 is out of the way for me and would require me to transfer to it from the B49 or take the (Q) train and transfer there in Brighton Beach. If I'm going to do all of that I might as well just take the B36 over to the B4 and do that long schlepp to Bay Ridge. :tdown::tdown: The B64 is MUCH quicker and not nearly as packed as the B1 gets and moves faster. It's about CHOICES my friend...

Weeell, the (MTA) isn't big on what the rider chooses, so the service down there will get screwed and always will get screwed.

Ok.

**unnecessary image**

Like I said, folks in Bath Beach still can transfer to the B1 or the B33 for service to Fort Hamilton (South Bay Ridge) or North Bay Ridge, respectively.

The B10 can be detatched from the B64, if that's what you are so worried about, but with the B10 & the B33, the B64 is redundant.

I sent the B10 & 19 to Prospect Park because I think it is the best terminal.

As you said, they don't nessesarily have to go that far. They can terminate in Boro Park and people wouldn't care.

I find it humorous that you are extending full-fledged routes to places to "help a few people", but that's neither here nor there.....

Anyway, it aint about what I'm "so worried" about, these are your ideas dude.....

You sat up there & said you wouldn't mind my opinion, so I'm giving my commentary....

as far as prospect park being the best terminal or whatever.... there has to be a rhyme or reason as to where you terminate a bus route..... The B16 ends over there @ Prospect Park subway large in part b/c it's the only route in SW Brooklyn that pans to that general part of the borough.... You got the B43 coming from north brooklyn.... would've had the 48 too, but that's a separate issue.....

as far as where to send a 13th/14th av route.... I've gotten into a few debates w/ others about that over the years.... I've argued against VA hospital, against coney island (via cropsey), against stopping right dead on 86th st, and yes, even against staten island.... Now I can add coney island (via bath av) to the list....

finally, you say you can detach the 64 from the 10, but that'd make the 64 redundant w/ the 10 & the 33 there..... My retort to that, simply is... why do/did you have the 10 covering bath av in the first place..... I mean, I'm assuming you knew that bath beach riders wanted 86th st.... What the MTA did to the 64 was detrimental......

I'm trying to see what your thought process is in all this, or if you're simply thinking up these routes w/o no real thought or requisite to it.....

Weeell, the (MTA) isn't big on what the rider chooses, so the service down there will get screwed and always will get screwed.

Well I'm sure they knew what it's purpose was. They're just trying to get rid of it. We had a conversation about the B64 months ago in another thread, and the first thing me and others said upon seeing the cut back on the B64 was that they're trying to axe the line. Without access to 86th street which is the main artery that route serves, and where most of the ridership came from, it is difficult to justify keeping any real service around or the route for that matter.

I find it humorous that you are extending full-fledged routes to places to "help a few people", but that's neither here nor there.....

Anyway, it aint about what I'm "so worried" about, these are your ideas dude.....

You sat up there & said you wouldn't mind my opinion, so I'm giving my commentary....

as far as prospect park being the best terminal or whatever.... there has to be a rhyme or reason as to where you terminate a bus route..... The B16 ends over there @ Prospect Park subway large in part b/c it's the only route in SW Brooklyn that pans to that general part of the borough.... You got the B43 coming from north brooklyn.... would've had the 48 too, but that's a separate issue.....

as far as where to send a 13th/14th av route.... I've gotten into a few debates w/ others about that over the years.... I've argued against VA hospital, against coney island (via cropsey), against stopping right dead on 86th st, and yes, even against staten island.... Now I can add coney island (via bath av) to the list....

finally, you say you can detach the 64 from the 10, but that'd make the 64 redundant w/ the 10 & the 33 there..... My retort to that, simply is... why do/did you have the 10 covering bath av in the first place..... I mean, I'm assuming you knew that bath beach riders wanted 86th st.... What the MTA did to the 64 was detrimental......

I'm trying to see what your thought process is in all this, or if you're simply thinking up these routes w/o no real thought or requisite to it.....

1. lol... unnecessary image...

2. The B10 was originally supposed to go down 86 St and Shell Road to Coney Island, but I thought a combination with the B64 made more sense. The MTA is just trying to axe the B64 or they wouldn't have moved it to Bay Ridge Avenue. Eventually Bath Avenue will have no service. Better something than nothing.

3. Yes, I am being thoughtful. The fact is, the B64 probably won't be around much longer, and Bath Avenue businesses & residents will have no bus service at all. With what were given now, I think Bath Avenue is the best route.

4. I do appreciate your opinion, a lot, but I just disagree.

Another thing that was great about the B64 for folks traveling from Sheepshead Bay to say Staten Island was that it gave you the option of doing the following:

(Q) train from Sheepshead Bay to Coney Island, and then transferring to the B64 at the Coney Island terminal, which I used quite a bit to get to the S53 years ago. It allowed you to bypass the long go on the B4 plus the walk or the stupid transfer to the slow (R) train to 86th street to get to the S53 and cut down the commute time somewhat. The (MTA) doesn't seem to realize that there is no east-west service in South Brooklyn that is quick for folks commuting from say Sheepshead Bay to Bay Ridge or even to Staten Island, which sucks royally. That's why I resorted to the X10 from Staten Island to the city and the BM3 back to Sheepshead Bay from Downtown. It isn't the quickest route per se in that you're backtracking a bit, but it lowers the amount of schlepping that I have to do and is somewhat less stressful to be honest, since I could stop off and get a quick lunch before continuing on the BM3.

And you are most certainly right about the B64. That's exactly what I used it for... 86th street.

yup, that's true... I'll add another one (scenario).

Instead of taking the N to the R & backtracking to 86th st, the B64 was right there to take you to 86th st.... I used to hate taking 3 trains (Q to the N to the R) to get to the S79..... I mean, yeah I could have taken the B35 to the 16, or take the 2 to atlantic for the R, but both of those options are very time consuming..... Taking the 3 trains was just a hassle..... Taking the Q to the B64 though :tup:

you can't be serious....

have you taken the prior B64 routing & saw the stable riderbase (which consisted of crowds I might add)... have you taken the current B64 & saw ridership wane like nobody's business... lol....

There's nothing wrong with the B1.

But I will say the B64 was used as a sacrificial lamb to boost the prevalence of that route.... There is history involved here.... for the longest, there'd been talks about creating a "B86" (an 86th st route).... The current B1 is an embodiment of that....

Thank you.

Which isn't acceptable.....

Which is why we're speaking out against what the MTA isn't "big on"....

Which isn't acceptable.....

Which is why we're speaking out against what the MTA isn't "big on"....

We all know that. It's terrible that the (MTA) can really do whatever they want because some people are forced to use the system.

We all know that.....

I should hope so....

1. lol... unnecessary image...

2. The B10 was originally supposed to go down 86 St and Shell Road to Coney Island, but I thought a combination with the B64 made more sense. The MTA is just trying to axe the B64 or they wouldn't have moved it to Bay Ridge Avenue. Eventually Bath Avenue will have no service. Better something than nothing.

3. Yes, I am being thoughtful. The fact is, the B64 probably won't be around much longer, and Bath Avenue businesses & residents will have no bus service at all. With what were given now, I think Bath Avenue is the best route.

4. I do appreciate your opinion, a lot, but I just disagree.

1) lol... yeh...

besides, I don't like quoting images.... my posts are long enough...

2 & 3) Right, but wouldn't the simplest option be to have the B64 kept around (as far as ideas are concerned), and then try to build/enhance that route from there.... instead of thinking up a new route to serve bath av b/c of what the MTA plans on doing with it (the 64)....

That's like having your house imploded & building it back up from scratch because you saw a couple mice there....

4) I can live with that.....

Curious though.... what part are you disagreeing with?

2 & 3) Right, but wouldn't the simplest option be to have the B64 kept around (as far as ideas are concerned), and then try to build/enhance that route from there.... instead of thinking up a new route to serve bath av b/c of what the MTA plans on doing with it (the 64)....

That's like having your house imploded & building it back up from scratch because you saw a couple mice there....

4) I can live with that.....

Curious though.... what part are you disagreeing with?

2, 3 & 4: The (MTA) does some weird things. I disagree with you on the point that the B10 & B64 should not be combined. Doing that may give the agency some incentive to keep Bath Avenue service around. You would want to enhance the B64, but... wait...

NEW B64 IDEA!

Via 86 ST & Bath Avenue: Shore Road - Coney Island!

It will supplement the B1 while keeping everyone in Bath Beach happy. But this probably won't happen... ;)

In this idea, the B10 would remain on Bath Avenue, supplementing the B64 here.

It's kind of a flip-flop, but it is the better idea.

P.S. I would implode my home, if I could afford it, because I HATE MICE/RATS!

2, 3 & 4: The (MTA) does some weird things. I disagree with you on the point that the B10 & B64 should not be combined. Doing that may give the agency some incentive to keep Bath Avenue service around.

yeah... um, I'm gonna have to disagree with the notion that the MTA would keep a route around simply because it is long.....

The longer the route, the more money the MTA saves in discarding it if it's underperforming....

Now if it's a long route that brings in 4,5,6+ million riders a year, then they'll keep it around & build on it (see M5)...

yeah... um, I'm gonna have to disagree with the notion that the MTA would keep a route around simply because it is long.....

The longer the route, the more money the MTA saves in discarding it if it's underperforming....

Now if it's a long route that brings in 4,5,6+ million riders a year, then they'll keep it around & build on it (see M5)....

I edited the post.

How do you know the B10 would underperform?

Cool entertainment looks I watched this go long enough let me put an end to this create the S83 BUT send it to sheepshead bay via belt parkway and B4's former routing. extend B74 to kings plaza via emmonds and knapp street. Then reroute B67 to travel direct to bay ridge via ft hamilton parkway rendering it unique so it's no longer a duplicate. Then extend B100 over ave P and bay ridge ave to well bay ridge maybe down ft hamilton parkway to bay ridge 86th.

B2 extends via ave S to SI college via 25th then belt parkway timed to link with other SI lines. B31 via ave P and bay parkway to belt then kills S66 partially or former s60 parts then fastest way to SI mall. the 2 goes inside college BUT at rush use S93 then this line will use a shortcut to the mall via ocean terrance. Initially however both will end at ceasars shopping center. SI extension for later

Cool entertainment looks I watched this go long enough let me put an end to this create the S83 BUT send it to sheepshead bay via belt parkway and B4's former routing. extend B74 to kings plaza via emmonds and knapp street. Then reroute B67 to travel direct to bay ridge via ft hamilton parkway rendering it unique so it's no longer a duplicate. Then extend B100 over ave P and bay ridge ave to well bay ridge maybe down ft hamilton parkway to bay ridge 86th.

B2 extends via ave S to SI college via 25th then belt parkway timed to link with other SI lines. B31 via ave P and bay parkway to belt then kills S66 partially or former s60 parts then fastest way to SI mall. the 2 goes inside college BUT at rush use S93 then this line will use a shortcut to the mall via ocean terrance. Initially however both will end at ceasars shopping center. SI extension for later

Whoa whoa whoa whoa!!! Slow down there quagmire... Too much speed I see, and I don't mean the speed that you're always referring to...

Well I'm sure they knew what it's purpose was. They're just trying to get rid of it. We had a conversation about the B64 months ago in another thread, and the first thing me and others said upon seeing the cut back on the B64 was that they're trying to axe the line. Without access to 86th street which is the main artery that route serves, and where most of the ridership came from, it is difficult to justify keeping any real service around or the route for that matter.

Well, to be fair, the important thing wasn't really that it saved 86th Street. The important thing was that it served the area by 86th Street/4th Avenue, because you had a bunch of transfers available, plus shopping.

It could reach that area through another street. (Cropsey Avenue), but the issue becomes layover space in the area (since you have the SI buses, plus the B1, which are all pretty frequent).

Maybe what could be done is to have it go to 95th Street instead. It would still be in a somewhat commercial part of Bay Ridge, and would still offer the transfers to the SI routes, which should keep ridership reasonably high.

Well, to be fair, the important thing wasn't really that it saved 86th Street. The important thing was that it served the area by 86th Street/4th Avenue, because you had a bunch of transfers available, plus shopping.

Dude, stop it already!! You're starting to annoy me. Re-read the friggin' post!! :mad:

On Bay Ridge Av at Bay Ridge, there will be too many routes between 8th Av and Shore Road. My suggestions:

• The terminal of the B9 in the South should be at 86th St and Narrows Av near the Fort Hamilton High School so people who go to Fort Hamilton don't need a transfer. The destination sign should say "Bay Ridge-86th St" and then "via Avenue M, via 60 St".
  • ThrexxBus: Your B33 should be moved somewhere else because the terminal Shore Road/71st St can handle only two routes (B64, and my B76). It's best if you make it go to Sunset Park-58th St/1st Av where the B11 is so people who need to go to the Medical Center can take your B33 there, so you would be happy! (Turn at Fort Hamilton Pkwy right, then turn to the B11's Southern Terminal that passes the Maimonides Medical Center.)
  • The B70 should turn at Bay Ridge Parkway and 7th Av, straight to 3rd Av, and then continue to its route! This way, there will not be a lot of buses and traffic is reduced, because the two-way road is narrow.

Changes to some other routes:

• The B4 should go to Sheepshead Bay-Knapp St terminal at all times.
  • Instead of the B9 turning at Ocean Av and Avenue M, make it Nostrand Av so B9 has more service on Avenue M.
  • The B64 should go to Coney Island-Stillwell Av station terminal for people who needed to go to Bay Ridge from Coney Island.
  • The B1 and the B64 should be switched back to the pre-2010 services, where B1 goes to Bay Ridge Av and B64 goes to Bay Ridge-4th Av.

Something wrong in my post? Tell me please, thanks....

Dude, stop it already!! You're starting to annoy me. Re-read the friggin' post!! :mad:

You said "Without access to 86th street which is the main artery that route serves".

It doesn't need to spend a significant amount of time along 86th Street to get good ridership. It just needs to serve that small section on the western end.

You said "Without access to 86th street which is the main artery that route serves".

It doesn't need to spend a significant amount of time along 86th Street to get good ridership. It just needs to serve that small section on the western end.

You are completely wrong!! I've used the route many times over the years and that's why I can talk about it the way that I do. I don't know what you're basing your information on, but you are wrong. The route got most of its ridership from 86th & 4th and then pickups here and there along major stops. It also got some ridership from the Coney Island terminal, as it provides a quick west-east connection once you transfer to the subway.

The route as it is set up now is destined to lose ridership, as it has already.