Brooklyn Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

B36 Via Ave U

So what do you propose for Jackson Heights? I personally as stated would send the B24 to 48th & Queens Bl, then follow Roosevelt to 81st/82nd, following the Q33's route. The B48 would pick up the B24's former North half of the route.

I would however appreciate it if some members answer some of my questons.

1. Is my B24 proposal (Williamsburg - Kosciusko - Woodside - Jackson Heights - LGA) too long or redundant?

2. What are ideal headways? 20 mins would suffice in my opinion.

3. Given that 20% of the route duplicates the full length of the Q33, should the B24 compliment it or replace it?

4. Would LG Depot/MTA Bus allow the above?

5. Would the B48 expansion via Greenpoint Ave to Sunnyside be viable for Greenpoint?

Too long actually B48 extension is ok. Q33 is too slow to extend. Also I agree with MTA's proposed route and believe if frequent enough can have a branch absorb B24 south while the other goes to the Navy yard. Edited by qjtransitmaster

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Too long actually B48 extension is ok. Q33 is too slow to extend. Also I agree with MTA's proposed route and believe if frequent enough can have a branch absorb B24 south while the other goes to the Navy yard.

Perhaps I should wait to view the Navy Yard route from the MTA. Thanks for your feedback.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been thinking about that new Williamsburg route they've been planning. Since we've all pretty much agreed that the B24 should be split one way or another, what if the Greenpoint Avenue leg of the route were combined with the new Williamsburg route. It could basically go down Franklin Street & Kent/Wythe Avenue, and eventually make its way down to the Marcy Avenue subway station.

For the hell of it, I mapped it out. It doesn't look too bad. (But it shouldn't be combined with another route). It sort of "ties together the loose ends" of the B24 & new Williamsburg route, since there isn't a whole lot of activity by the area where they would terminate in Greenpoint. (At least, I don't think)

The Q59 would also be rerouted down Marcy Avenue/Rodney Street, rather than Kent/Wythe Avenue like it is now.

I've been thinking about that new Williamsburg route they've been planning. Since we've all pretty much agreed that the B24 should be split one way or another, what if the Greenpoint Avenue leg of the route were combined with the new Williamsburg route. It could basically go down Franklin Street & Kent/Wythe Avenue, and eventually make its way down to the Marcy Avenue subway station.

For the hell of it, I mapped it out. It doesn't look too bad. (But it shouldn't be combined with another route). It sort of "ties together the loose ends" of the B24 & new Williamsburg route, since there isn't a whole lot of activity by the area where they would terminate in Greenpoint. (At least, I don't think)

The Q59 would also be rerouted down Marcy Avenue/Rodney Street, rather than Kent/Wythe Avenue like it is now.

ok that may work nice map Edited by qjtransitmaster

I like checkmate's B24 idea, but I think it should go to Woodside.

https://maps.google.....009412,0.01929

In the past, I thought of sending the northern part of the B24 to Woodside, but then people mentioned traffic on Roosevelt Avenue. (I mean, to be fair, you don't want an infrequent route stuck in traffic) I don't know how many Greenpoint riders would be interested in LIRR service (but then again, you have <7> service there as well).

BTW, with the B48 being rerouted to Woodside, does the B62 cover Nassau Avenue? (I guess since it's a low-ridership area, you could have alternate buses go to Nassau Avenue and Box Street, while the B43 is sent to Queens Plaza)

No need thanks to the (7) most people will just take the (7) from there. Roosevelt ave really is not very good for buses at all Q32 runs due to old people that's it. If old people didn't live there Q32 would not have it's ridership.

Well, I see his point that it would provide more connections at Woodside. I would think a lot of them would transfer to the Q32 rather than the (7), because it's annoying to go up and down those stairs just to travel 2 stops.

In the past, I thought of sending the northern part of the B24 to Woodside, but then people mentioned traffic on Roosevelt Avenue. (I mean, to be fair, you don't want an infrequent route stuck in traffic) I don't know how many Greenpoint riders would be interested in LIRR service (but then again, you have <7> service there as well).

BTW, with the B48 being rerouted to Woodside, does the B62 cover Nassau Avenue? (I guess since it's a low-ridership area, you could have alternate buses go to Nassau Avenue and Box Street, while the B43 is sent to Queens Plaza)

That was one of the issues, I think splitting the B43 would be a better idea, since it can be delayed in Central Brooklyn.

Plus, even if there was nothing to cover Nassau, the B48 would be better off going to Sunnyside for some sort of ridership generator. (That's also why I extended it to Eastern Parkway)

No need thanks to the (7) most people will just take the (7) from there. Roosevelt ave really is not very good for buses at all Q32 runs due to old people that's it. If old people didn't live there Q32 would not have it's ridership.

That's not true... the Q32 gets crush loaded all along the route. Not to mention the <7> and the LIRR connections. It's not even that long of a stretch.

Edited by Threxx

Well, I see his point that it would provide more connections at Woodside. I would think a lot of them would transfer to the Q32 rather than the (7), because it's annoying to go up and down those stairs just to travel 2 stops.

LIRR woodside good enough for the new mta line that can absorb B24 north. LGA line just kills a part of B24 south en rte to downtown brooklyn via backroads.

What?

I'm gonna have to start charging him a translation fee.

Basically, he's saying it's not a bad idea to send the northern portion of the B24 (the part along Greenpoint Avenue) to Woodside. He would make a route from LaGuardia to Downtown Brooklyn via back roads that would cover part of the southern part of the B24 (the part that serves Marcy Avenue).

Basically, he's saying it's not a bad idea to send the northern portion of the B24 (the part along Greenpoint Avenue) to Woodside. He would make a route from LaGuardia to Downtown Brooklyn via back roads that would cover part of the southern part of the B24 (the part that serves Marcy Avenue).

Backroads? This is NYC, not the country... :lol:

And the B48 is best suited to cover that section. It needs the ridership.

backroads between williamsburg and downtown brooklyn with stops at marcy ave (J)and navy street @ flushing ave. The new LGA line is in fact a SBS line. Which was why I wanted the stops kept to a minimum.

Don't you mean, will be a +SBS+ line?

It's two + signs, really?

backroads between williamsburg and downtown brooklyn with stops at marcy ave (J)and navy street @ flushing ave. The new LGA line is in fact a SBS line. Which was why I wanted the stops kept to a minimum.

Still not following... Why not a direct express route with three stops:

Jay Street

Williamsburg Bridge Plaza

LGA Central Terminal

It's two + signs, really?

Still not following... Why not a direct express route with three stops:

Jay Street

Williamsburg Bridge Plaza

LGA Central Terminal

Too few stops and connections maybe select trips of this route making 3 stops but the goal is to link several major hubs at once. linking with jackson heights. This links (R)(M)(J)(L)(G) & (F)(E) lines so it will gain many riders from all these lines.

Maybe branch with B39 they both meet at meeker or at lorimer (L)(G) timed. B39 hits northern blvd to LGA skipping jackson heights the other via jackson heights.

I'm lost too. Is this the so called "Nerd bus" line? Will it go to MTA bus?

It's just a proposal.....

Too few stops and connections maybe select trips of this route making 3 stops but the goal is to link several major hubs at once. linking with jackson heights. This links (R)(M)(J)(L)(G) & (F)(E) lines so it will gain many riders from all these lines.

Maybe branch with B39 they both meet at meeker or at lorimer (L)(G) timed. B39 hits northern blvd to LGA skipping jackson heights the other via jackson heights.

I thought the point was to link Brooklyn-LGA... I guess you could add a a stop at Jackson Heights, but there is nowhere near enough demand for a stop at Lorimer...

Edited by Threxx

I'm gonna have to start charging him a translation fee.

You have patience.

I think that's what Aclea was saying, before his thread was merged with this one. I essentially had that down in my proposal, which is now dead.

I'm lost too. Is this the so called "Nerd bus" line? Will it go to MTA bus?

Will this officially run at all?

You have patience.

LOL. Well, I've spent a lot of time working with little kids, so that helps. ;)

Will this officially run at all?

It's just a proposal. And aside from that, you already have alternatives (B62 to the Q102, (G) and walk to the Q102, (F) train if you're in Downtown Brooklyn)