Brooklyn Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

B36 Via Ave U

Do you know what the word hinder means.... Extending the B36 all the way to the junction would make the route more slow & delayed than what it currently is.... Why would you want to make one of the main problems on the 36 worse....

You're not being realistic here with all this, buddy..... If you have the B44 serve sheepshead bay subway, then that ultimately defeats the purpose of extending the B36 & the B74 (lol) to the junction..... Such a plan would leave those patrons down by Emmons with nothing but a part time B4, and the express bus....

Well first of all, the B4 should be returned to full time service. Second the B 74 would go up stilwell ave from Coney island turn on neptune ave, proceed down neptune/emmons ave to nostrand ave, turn on nostrand ave and end at ave H. That route is not impossible and would help ease overcrowding on the B44. I mean just think about the B 74 is a Bus route frome Sea gate to Coney Island a route that one can walk to. The B74 is useless and should be extended

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well first of all, the B4 should be returned to full time service. Second the B 74 would go up stilwell ave from Coney island turn on neptune ave, proceed down neptune/emmons ave to nostrand ave, turn on nostrand ave and end at ave H. That route is not impossible and would help ease overcrowding on the B44. I mean just think about the B 74 is a Bus route frome Sea gate to Coney Island a route that one can walk to. The B74 is useless and should be extended

The B74 serves as a subway route feeder which IS used, period, so it is not useless. Without the B74, the B36 would be even more crushloaded in Coney Island than it is.

If it works, then why propose these changes.....

It only works to a certain extent. You probably don't use the (B82) enough to know it works. The (B82) LTD was waaaay overdue. I agree w/Shortline, that the Spring Creek Towers leg could be a separate route.

The B74 serves as a subway route feeder which IS used, period, so it is not useless. Without the B74, the B36 would be even more crushloaded in Coney Island than it is.

While it is well-used, the route's potential wasn't maximised. Instead of truncating the (B64), the MTA should have combined it with the (B74).

Well as of now, yes they messed it up, but that's what we're discussing: A way to bring back ridership to the B64 while keeping the B1 as a through-86th Street route. And that's why we proposed what we did: Reroute the B64 to 86th & 4th via Cropsey Avenue and give 13th Avenue and Bay Ridge Avenue their own seperate bus routes.

Or the very least the MTA could do is send the B64 back to Coney Island for starters.

Okay so then you admit that the B64's ridership came from 86th street... And then what goes up 13th Avenue and Bay Ridge Avenue? Also, there are already too many buses going to 86th & 4th. There would be basically nowhere to put the B64 for its layovers, so quite frankly if that were to happen, the B1 should be extended to its old terminus, but running the full length of 86th street and then up Shore Rd. This could also make the argument for limited stop service on the line which IMO is long overdue.

Okay so then you admit that the B64's ridership came from 86th street... And then what goes up 13th Avenue and Bay Ridge Avenue? Also, there are already too many buses going to 86th & 4th. There would be basically nowhere to put the B64 for its layovers, so quite frankly if that were to happen, the B1 should be extended to its old terminus, but running the full length of 86th street and then up Shore Rd. This could also make the argument for limited stop service on the line which IMO is long overdue.

It has been previously said that new routes on those streets are long overdue, and that if the (B64) is to go back to 86th & 4th, these new routes have to be created.

But I agree w/you about the (B1) LTD.

What is goin on in this thread....

Who said anything about it being impossible.... Not being realistic does not mean rerouting some route somewhere is not possible..... Yes, the B44 has its issues, but it aint that egregious to where that the B44 needs a supplementary route b/w Av Z. & the junction..... I'm not gonna talk about sending B36's up to the junction anymore because it isn't warranted....

Your comments about the B74 I'm not taking seriously....

Unbelievable isn't it.....

Constantly arriving & leaving packed @ Mermaid loop classifies as useless nowadays, I suppose.....

It only works to a certain extent. You probably don't use the (B82) enough to know it works. The (B82) LTD was waaaay overdue. I agree w/Shortline, that the Spring Creek Towers leg could be a separate route.

Dude, I get how the route works; that aint the issue here....

All Shortline wants to accomplish w/ the B82 is to have it serve Gateway mall; the two of us have had enough discussions regarding Brooklyn's routes..... That's why he's breaking up the route into 2 segments....

As far as shortline's comment....

again, don't tell me the route works - and then make a proposal to alter it somehow.... That does not compute.

While it is well-used, the route's potential wasn't maximised. Instead of truncating the (B64), the MTA should have combined it with the (B74).

I'm not gonna sit here & argue "potential" b/c it's immeasurable.... but the fact of the matter is, the B74 is heavily used by CI residents down there.... With its current structure/purpose & usage, there is ZERO need to extend that route anywhere past Stillwell av subway sta.....

I'm not gonna sit here & argue "potential" b/c it's immeasurable.... but the fact of the matter is, the B74 is heavily used by CI residents down there.... With its current structure/purpose & usage, there is ZERO need to extend that route anywhere past Stillwell av subway sta.....

Someone said earlier that a route had to be multipurpose to be succsesful. If something happens and people move out of that area, then the B74 is dead. But that's a "What if?" ideology. Why was the B74 created anyway?

Wait-wait-wait-wait-wait. How did we go from Bath Beach to Coney Island?

Actually that's not such a bad idea to be honest, but the issue is the B74 gets so much usage that having it merged with the B64 could be problematic if the the B64s suffer from any sort of bunching, which is why it is best to keep the B74 as is.

Unbelievable isn't it.....

Constantly arriving & leaving packed @ Mermaid loop classifies as useless nowadays, I suppose.....

lol... Yeah all you have to do is wait there at the Coney Island station to see how packed those B74 buses are. I don't know what this guy is smoking.

Someone said earlier that a route had to be multipurpose to be succsesful. If something happens and people move out of that area, then the B74 is dead. But that's a "What if?" ideology. Why was the B74 created anyway?

...and a silly what if scenario at that.

Anyway, I don't know why the B74 was created.... BrooklynBus, our resident historicist here, can answer that for you....

As for your last question, Kingal11234 brought up the B74 (a Coney Island route) after I commented about his B36 suggestion up to the junction.... What the B74 had to do with that particular B36 suggestion, well your guess is as good as mine.....

Actually that's not such a bad idea to be honest, but the issue is the B74 gets so much usage that having it merged with the B64 could be problematic if the the B64s suffer from any sort of bunching, which is why it is best to keep the B74 as is.

...which is why I think such a merge is a bad idea.

same exact thing with folks wanting to merge the B42 with the B60 out in canarsie....

If the shorter routes garner ridership (i.e. being highly efficient), may as well leave those bad boys a-lone.....

Well a lot of what ifs could happen, but the point is the B74 IS used and there is really no need to do anything with it. Why don't you go to Coney Island and see for yourself why the route is necessary. ;)

Well a lot of what ifs could happen, but the point is the B74 IS used and there is really no need to do anything with it. Why don't you go to Coney Island and see for yourself why the route is necessary. :)

I've seen those crowds. I'm not questioning that if route is used like that other guy whose smoking something. ;) I just had the combination idea.

Oh. According to Wikipedia, the B74's current route was once a streetcar route, like many other Brooklyn routes. There you go.

Do you know what the word hinder means.... Extending the B36 all the way to the junction would make the route more slow & delayed than what it currently is.... Why would you want to make one of the main problems on the 36 worse....

You're not being realistic here with all this, buddy..... If you have the B44 serve sheepshead bay subway, then that ultimately defeats the purpose of extending the B36 & the B74 (lol) to the junction..... Such a plan would leave those patrons down by Emmons with nothing but a part time B4, and the express bus....

That guy... let me not say.

A bit off topic, but:

The (B36)'s turnaround scenario should be changed. I'm pretty sure it has to make an illegal turn at Avenue U.

That guy... let me not say.

A bit off topic, but:

The (B36)'s turnaround scenario should be changed. I'm pretty sure it has to make an illegal turn at Avenue U.

Negative, bro...

off nostrand av (northbound), it makes a left on neck rd to stand (layover).... then for the return trip, it proceeds to & then turns up E. 29th, to av U, then back down nostrand.....

Negative, bro...

off nostrand av (northbound), it makes a left on neck rd to stand (layover).... then for the return trip, it proceeds to & then turns up E. 29th, to av U, then back down nostrand.....

That turn onto Neck Rd isn't illegal?

This may not be the best idea I came up with, but I was thinking this one up last night:

B1 extension to Staten Island:

Follows the S53 routing to McClean Av/Sand Lane, then goes down Sand Lane and terminates at South Beach Terminal.

I thought this might be useful because this gives residents in South Beach and Arrochar a one-seat ride Bensonhurst, Kingsboro Community College, and other areas served by the B1.

This would also take some crowding off the S53 especially during rush hours and the extension would add at the most 10-15 minutes which isn't that bad.

Comments?

Why would you cut the B82 it serves just fine. I mean its not the fastest service but it rarely overcrowded. In fact I think they should have more B82 not less

The B82 is unreliable because of its long length. He wants to make it more reliable by splitting it.

How about running the B74 pass the Coney Island to Sheephead Bay along Neptune/Emmons ave to Knapps st. That would actually make the bus a useful bus service.

It already is a useful service.

You can walk from West 37th Street to Stillwell Avenue (it's about a mile), but that doesn't make the route useless. First of all, nobody should have to walk more than 1/2 mile at most to reach a transit route, at least in an urban area (VG8, don't start any crap about my wanting to make people walk a mile because that would be an outright lie). I mean, you have the B36, but still, it doesn't necessarily mean the route should be cut.

Second of all, the B74 is a short route, but it does get good ridership for its length. The same applies to the B42, which is also a subway feeder route, and you could sort of say the same about the Manhattan crosstown buses, because a lot of people on the Far East Side take them to reach the subway (true, they go further west, but even if you just took the people riding it to the subway, you would get a decent ridership route)

To be fair, you could always add some B36 short-turns, but there'd really be no point. You might as well use those buses to keep service as is.

Yes, that small part of 86th Street by 4th Avenue.

13th Avenue and Bay Ridge Avenue would get their own seperate routes. Bay Ridge Avenue would be served by a route coming from the Kings Highway subway station (I suggested the B31, and B35 and BrooklynBus suggested the B2). 13th Avenue would be served by a route running the full length of the street (you could have it as a reroute of the old B23, like B35 suggested, or you could do something else). This would free up the B16 to go straight down Fort Hamilton Parkway, instead of trying to perform double duty in the Borough Park area.

As for the B1, right now it could probably qualify for a limited, but I think the frequency is a bit too low. As far as layover space goes, maybe you could just extend the B64 to 3rd Avenue or something. I would prefer Shore Road get a bus down the full length of the street (so I'd extend the B9 there instead of the B1)

If people move out of CI, we'll worry about that when we get to it. As of now, CI is a very dense area and so attracts a lot of ridership.

This may not be the best idea I came up with, but I was thinking this one up last night:

Follows the S53 routing to McClean Av/Sand Lane, then goes down Sand Lane and terminates at South Beach Terminal.

I thought this might be useful because this gives residents in South Beach and Arrochar a one-seat ride Bensonhurst, Kingsboro Community College, and other areas served by the B1.

This would also take some crowding off the S53 especially during rush hours and the extension would add at the most 10-15 minutes which isn't that bad.

Comments?

I don't think that's really necessary. There's a difference between an extension on local roads and an extension over a bridge. I think some extra S53 service would suffice (and my S83 plan would provide a slight overall increase in S53 service, which should make the buses less crowded. If demand grows service can be added later on).

To me, the B1 should go to Shore Road and the B64 to 4th Av Terminal! Make it like it's pre-2010 budget cuts!

The B4 should go to Knapp Street at all times for more ridership services. It can go through the Sheepshead Bay (;)(Q) station for transfer.

I see what you're trying to do to the B8, but I think it should stay terminated at 95th St Station at all times! We don't want the B8 to be so long like the B6.

I think one route via 13th Av & Bath Av between Coney Island and Shore Road is fine with me. Not a lot of people ride the B64, so there's no need for the B10a.

The B10b idea is not completed. We need to know the terminals first before we examine whether it's a good idea or not.

What's wrong with the B16 going to 13th and 14th Av? Borough Park needed more service, and the B70 is kind of close to Fort Hamilton.

On the B33, the idea that was close to mine, I figured out that it was a bad idea because it's almost the same as the B4. I can make the B76 run through someplace where it's not near either the B4 or the B9. I got nothing so far.

Why B70 to Shore Road? V A Hospital patients or people needed service to Bay Ridge, and Sunset Park by riding this route!

This is an old post, but this is the new S. Brooklyn plans. Incorperates ideas from others who have posted here.

B1: Bay Ridge-69 Street-Manhattan Bch via 86 Street & Colonial Road

B4: Bay Ridge-69 Street-Sheepshead Bay. Daily service to Sheepshead Bay

B10: Prospect Park Station-Bay Ridge via 13 & 14 Avenues

B16: Prospect Park Station-Bay Ridge via Fort Hamilton Parkway

B19: Prospect Park Station-Sunset Park (or Bay Ridge) via 13, 14 Avenues & 65 Street.

B64: Bay Ridge-4 Avenue-Bensonhurst (Coney Island in summer) via Bath Avenue & 86 Street.

Edited by ThrexxBus

Comments?

LOLOLOLOLOL... no.

The B1 is crowded as-is. You want to take people from one crowded route and put them on another crowded route? NO SIR.

B1: Bay Ridge-69 Street-Manhattan Bch via 86 Street & Colonial Road

B4: Bay Ridge-69 Street-Sheepshead Bay. Daily service to Sheepshead Bay

WHOA, WHOA, WHOA! The Bay Ridge-Shore Road only can handle two routes. Plus, there are already too many routes there. (B1, B4, B64, B76, X27, and X38). And on weekdays is worse because you have express buses coming! That's even more than Kings Plaza terminal!

As you must know, not a lot of people go to Shore Road Terminal every single day. I go there twice a month, and there are only AT LEAST two customers riding the B9 and B64.

B10: Prospect Park Station-Bay Ridge via 13 & 14 Avenues

B19: Prospect Park Station-Sunset Park (or Bay Ridge) via 13, 14 Avenues & 65 Street.

Please put the specific terminal and we can think about it. Thanks...

And If I were you, I wouldn't put the B19 via 65th Street, full of traffic!

And the Bay Ridge Av between Bay Parkway and 13th Av should be a two-way road because the sidewalks are wide enough.

B16: Prospect Park Station-Bay Ridge via Fort Hamilton Parkway

With your B10 and B19 routes, I believe the B16 straight via Fort Hamilton Parkway might work!

B64: Bay Ridge-4 Avenue-Bensonhurst (Coney Island in summer) via Bath Avenue & 86 Street.

I guess I have my B76 route to cover up Bay Ridge Av instead of the B64.

Replies in red!

I see you removed the B33.

When the Bay Ridge Avenue, 13th Avenue and 86th Street was the B/34, the headway was about 7 minutes from end to end with service to 13th Avenue from Shore Road during rush hours making the headway on that portion of the line 3 1/2 minutes. The headway during the non peak hours were about the same with no 13th Avenue short turns. Since that time the route has lost the 13th Avenue short turns and the headways have increased as it does not have a traffic generator (which it had until the opening of the Verrazano Bridge, namely the 69th Street Ferry to Staten Island) Unless things change, the headways will continue to increase whether it was the B/1 or is the B/64.

The B/4 headway was 13 minutes during the rush hours and 17 minutes during the day. When I worked in Bay Ridge during the 1960's, I very seldom took the B/4 as there were 2 B/34 buses for every 1 of the B/4 buses. This has not changed but has gotten worse as the route has been extended when it took over part of the old B/21 route.

The B/64 (which I relied on for many years) to 86th Street-4th Avenue from Coney Island was an extremely productive route as it took 1/2 hour from end to end with a change of bus drivers at the depot. It was for me, the alternative to the B/1 which would get stuck under the elevated line and add an extra 10 -15 minutes to the trip going home. The route should be re-rerouted via the Veterans Hospital to 86th Street and 4th Avenue and remained at Coney Island. (I will let someone else figure out what to do with the 13th Avenue and Bay Ridge Avenue portions of the route, possibly another route from 39th Street and 1st Avenue via 8th Avenue, Bay Ridge Avenue?

Now with Select Bus Service coming to the S/79, just think of the B/1 and the S/79 select and regular bus service terminating at 86th Street - 4th Avenue and the proposal to narrow 86 Street too and did I add the articulated buses on the S/79?