MCI's going to the X90 and where are the new 126 MCI buses.

Charleston

With a few MCI's now running on the X90, will more MCI's be heading over to the X90 toi begin replacement of all of the 1993 Orion Surburban buses there

in September.

Also, where are the 126 new MCI buses that NYC Transit is supposed to get and when will the first batch start arriving and will they be used to increase more Staten Island express bus service or prehaps the X23 and X24 routes which has been mentioned so many times on bustalk and a few times on this board in September if they are taken over by then.

As far as I know there is currently only one MCI running on the X90. If more MCI's are put on that line it most likely won't happen until the new buses arrive. It may make more sense to run the newer RTS and Orion V Suburbans on that line.

Yeah, as nycbusfan said, theres only one MCI on the X90. I doubt they'll put more.

As for the MCIs that are suppose to come in, I heard of one being here, the what was suppose to be 4330 now 2240. I did hear the MTA right now has buses that they can run the X23 and X24 with, dunno how true that is since I haven't looked through the roster, see how many buses go out during the peak and whats left, then look at a X23 and X24 schedule to see how many are needed there.

Probably East New York can fill in more. I have to see if I can talk to someone who might know more also.

Yeah, I as well highly doubt the x90 will see full time MCI service anytime soon, although it is inevitable once the Orion V, and RTS Suburbans are retired. This is why they are doing the trials now. As of now only 1959 is at MJQ on loan from Casleton. The x23, and x24 takeover will not occur until either December or January. I can't remember exactly when the contract is set to expire, but I think it's January. Casleton, Yukon, Ulmer Park, and Casey Stengel are all set to get new MCI's, with the bulk going to Staten Island of course. The S89 is supposed to get MCI's as well. Service is not set to be increased on any express routes at this time, and some of the 1800 and 1900 series buses will return to MCI as they are leased. So where are the buses???? Your guess is just as good as mine. 4330(2240) was supposed to be delivered last month with a brand new type of farebox. As of now it's not confirmed, so we just have to be on the lookout.

On another note, the MTA is now seriously considering the Prevost in addition to the all MCI OTR fleet. The demo has preformed flawlessly, and only minor changes would be needed to bring the bus to MTA specs. Only problem is the bus is slightly more expensive than the MCI.

Archived