Why the Poconos, less than two hours from NYC, offers the best house values

Shortline Bus

Guess I'm stuck in a bind then.... b/c I can't see myself owning & living out in white suburbia (don't give me the rare exception of w/e black suburbs that are out there b/c I find them to be just as classist/overly class-conscious as the white ones) or within NYC - if your average run-of-the-mill home is running for well over half-a-mil'.....

....and I'm tired of hearin sistas (including this chick I'm seein right now) talkin about movin to some maryland once they get their money up....

Can someone tell me what the h-e-double hockey sticks is so great about Maryland..... or is this just the usual rhetoric being spewed by "on-point" college edu-ma-cated sistas.....

.....try' find some on-point simp, run 'ship (while havin hood nzzzz's run the blue line on her behind his back) & move to some unforeseen black mecca (Maryland, according to them) where there's supposedly oceans of well off black families just doin it up.... Am I missing something here?

My cousin lives a mile or so away from the racetrack.....man when I went there, I felt so uncomfortable because EVERYTHING was so far away. I'm a city person at heart, I can't ever see myself live so far away. The fact that folks wanna live out that far just screws with my mind.....

As i tell everyone just like you choice of ice cream flavor lol this is the beauty of living in America. Whether your lifestyle is living in a big city like NY, LA or Chicago or distant suburus like the Poconos, others should not go after someone based on where they want to live.

I am more of a suburan type guy myself who likes being close to a big city but enjoys some quietness and also being nearby to camping/park areas or beach areas myself.

It is going to be more expensive to live there soon with the Lackawanna Line.

I live near here, so let me burst everyone's bubbles.

The Poconos are now a dump. I moved there in 1995. All the trash from the city has invaded up here in the terms of gangs, drugs, and crime. I've dealt with almost as many heroin ODs up here as I had working in Newark.

Traffic is atrocious, and the infrastructure is crumbling. The roads weren't built to handle the traffic.

The attitudes up here suck also; it's like being back in the city.

I live south of the Poconos. I have easy access to either I-78 or I-80; I can be at the Guinea Gangplank in 90 minutes, and at the GWB in 75 (here's hoping that when I become a T/O, I get a yard in upper Manhattan or the Bronx).

Guess I'm stuck in a bind then.... b/c I can't see myself owning & living out in white suburbia (don't give me the rare exception of w/e black suburbs that are out there b/c I find them to be just as classist/overly class-conscious as the white ones) or within NYC - if your average run-of-the-mill home is running for well over half-a-mil'.....

What about the suburbs that are "ghetto" by suburban standards, but probably aren't much different than an average city neighborhood? (Like Gordon Heights or North Bellport or something).

What about the suburbs that are "ghetto" by suburban standards, but probably aren't much different than an average city neighborhood? (Like Gordon Heights or North Bellport or something).

negative..... if that's the case, I may as well live in peekskill or elmsford over living in gordon hgts., N. Bellport, Mastic beach, etc....

Transportation options are better.....

But aren't those still suburbs?

.....just like gordon heights & north bellport are (suburbs).... there's no trade-off....

Exactly why I said "if that's the case....."

Bottom line, it doesn't matter if those areas you listed are more urban/city-like than suburban....

fact of the matter is, they're still suburbs.... I wouldn't want to live there.

.....just like gordon heights & north bellport are (suburbs).... there's no trade-off....

Bottom line, it doesn't matter if those areas you listed are more urban/city-like than suburban....

Hey i learned something new every day. I thought Riverhead was the 'hood' of Suffolk, LI. I guess i am wrong adding in North Bellport as well lol.

Hey i learned something new every day. I thought Riverhead was the 'hood' of Suffolk, LI. I guess i am wrong adding in North Bellport as well lol.

Nah, Riverhead's actually gotten better w/ its problem w/ illegals... they are tryna clean up out there....

There are easily other places within suffolk that come to mind that would be deserving of that title.....

Nah, Riverhead's actually gotten better w/ its problem w/ illegals... they are tryna clean up out there....

There are easily other places within suffolk that come to mind that would be deserving of that title.....

I have not been that 'deep' into Eastern LI/Suffolk in couple of years so that why i made that comment.

Back to Poconos. I do agree even with it lower prices for homes, i would still prefer either southern nj(near Philly)or my neck of the woods in the Hudson Valley to live as a distant suburb to NYC. Reason is simple the transit options in the poconos suck until that NJT extension opens by the end of this decade at the earliest.

Well, even my family is considering moving out of New York since the prices are going nuts here in New York. The original price of every product inflated, gas prices are wild! When I was out in Pennsylvania or even New Jersey, things are much more ideal and consistent and comfortable.

On my review on the Poconos, it is for people that work in NYC that want a Country living, yes the city people did ruin it kinda because of the Mohegan Sun up in Wilkes-Barre and Mount Airy which is east of I-380, by Route 611 in Mount Pocono. I see myself getting a second home there mainly because I want access to fresher food and fresher air quality, however if you live there, you must own or lease a car because transit is not too good there, even with MCATA Pony as the local Bus Operator. Martz Trailways does provide service to Monroe [The Poconos], Luzerne and Lackawanna Counties, but again you'll need a car unless if you live in Walking Distance [in Pocono's measurement, it means a Mile or Two Walk, yes I said it, Mile or Two walk] to a stop, where my uncle's house is not. In my opinion, the Lackawanna Cut-Off could be built and improve transit in the Poconos, but I'd rather have poor transit than good transit because the Country living would be disrupted, just like when you drive from the Rural areas into Stroudsburg, Scranton and Wilkes-Barre.

But the thing is that you said that the reason is because you find the suburbs too class-conscious, so I figured that you'd like more working-class suburbs better. Or do you find them class-conscious as well?

But the thing is that you said that the reason is because you find the suburbs too class-conscious, so I figured that you'd like more working-class suburbs better. Or do you find them class-conscious as well?

Yes, I did (and I do)..... But of course, I have other reasons why I wouldn't live in the suburbs....

To touch on your question, in general, I actually do find working class suburbs to be quite class-conscious..... To tell the honest truth, I'd rather deal with a snob than an in-betweener, guess I'll call it (someone that's quick to claim how unlike the prototypical suburb they area is, but also how unlike most urban areas [or better yet, more urbanized suburbs] they area is).... (some residents of) Wheatley hgts is a good example of that - Spillover from Wyandanch that got the gall to wanna turn they nose up at someone....

At least I know the snob is a full-time snob.....

Again, it doesn't matter to me if a particular suburb is more urbanized...... I'm a city guy.... No suburb to me can replace the actual city "feel" (or w/e you wanna call it)..... There's no one that'll ever convince me that living in Gordon Hgts (using your example) is just as city like as living here in E. Flatbush..... The problem over here though is w/ housing price inflation, as was previously stated....

Archived