Kingsbridge

I Run Trains

Nah, chill. With a clunker-loving busfan like me up here, that ain't happening too quickly. Seriously, very few things bother me anyway.

And Orion, bus service was slow a few years back but now it's fine. Buses are always on time and they go fast up here. It's literally a stop a minute down Riverdale Avenue and Henry Hudson Parkway. 15 minutes from the line to the end of the service road even on a rush hour. 10 minutes with the fast guys. People saying that today don't know what they're talking about. And take it from me, the buses of KB are like a second home to me, with all the bus ops I hang around with in those buses. B)

These people had more problems with the nasty interiors, the screeching noises, and the filthy exteriors, than with the speed, but half did say the Bx9 was the slowest (then again they use KB D60s)...

Well unfortunately even living in a quiet neighborhood you can't expect the greatest from KB since the buses they maintain (or not) spend more of their time in the ghetto with all the rowdy kids than in Riverdale. Non-busfans and people who don't work with buses that ride the Bx7, 10, 20 don't realize that the vandalized junk that pulls into the stop is like that because it was just on the Bx3, Bx13, Bx18, or Bx32 the day before or earlier in the day.

Well unfortunately even living in a quiet neighborhood you can't expect the greatest from KB since the buses they maintain (or not) spend more of their time in the ghetto with all the rowdy kids than in Riverdale. Non-busfans and people who don't work with buses that ride the Bx7, 10, 20 don't realize that the vandalized junk that pulls into the stop is like that because it was just on the Bx3, Bx13, Bx18, or Bx32 the day before or earlier in the day.

Don't blame it on the 3, 13 18 or 32.. The 7 have savages in wash hts too

You and I both know that the kids at our schools trash the BX10 at times. Surprisingly the Bx18 tends to have some of the cleaner buses because it's not heavily used (outside of rush hours). it's usually a few 6200's on the route.

You and I both know that the kids at our schools trash the BX10 at times. Surprisingly the Bx18 tends to have some of the cleaner buses because it's not heavily used (outside of rush hours). it's usually a few 6200's on the route.
Last time I saw that bus they used RTSs! :eek:

I remember when kingsbridge had the best buses in the Bronx and the Coliseum (The old West Farms) had all the crap! I guess KB is the new coliseum!

One Orion was dead at Dyckman St., and then 562 the bus I pulled out, transmission went. I knew it was going to happen to, cause the bus didn't pull correctly when I left. I did a loop and was about to request another bus. Problem is they had none, and the dispatcher would have said, "just take it". Surely I went from 218st to 168st, then 168st to Riverdale, then back to 168st, then back to Riverdale. That bus was dying trying to climb that hill on Riverdale. Soon as I get to about 256st, the Check Transmission light and buzzer goes off, that thing wasn't trying to change gears. Then the retarder overheat light goes off. I called it in so the bus had to go back to the depot. It barely made it back. Sad thing is I told a road dispatcher about it, so I could swap off. This was so the depot doesn't have a road call against it (these make the depot maintenance look bad). But they didn't/couldn't swap me, so this is what happens...... The bus I got to finish my trips after pulling the clunker in, was the best KB clunker. This old dawg is fast as hell...........That hill along Riverdale Ave, ain't squat for this old powerful workhorse.........

cid__0710082009.jpg

Oh man. And that's probably the last time you're getting that bus as a bus op. Best bus in KB. 472 stand up! Damn, I should've been chillin in your bus yesterday instead of the girl's. On the other hand I didn't have much choice since I would've been home really late. The thing they need to do with the vehicle though is fix the destination sign cover and the smoking problem. I hope you wrote her up for smoking, even though I know you probably don't care since you're leaving. Boo if you didn't write her up

Today I had another bus that had to go OOS. Why? No A/C at all. Nothing was a blowin'....The customers just sweated, and of course complained. I told them take down the bus number, and write it in.....

I know my buddy loves the old Orions, but these things got to go, or have a major overhaul done...........

Today I had another bus that had to go OOS. Why? No A/C at all. Nothing was a blowin'....The customers just sweated, and of course complained. I told them take down the bus number, and write it in.....

I know my buddy loves the old Orions, but these things got to go, or have a major overhaul done...........

A Gun Hill 100 series was like this too, but it was never fixed. Also I don't know if 416 has an AC unit since you don't even hear the engine sounding different or an AC sound when it was 90 degrees (though this bus is faster than 472!)... :eek:

Yea, that bus is dirty in the front like 672 (destination sign cover is old and sooty). Also has excessively screeching fan belts and the engine groans alot. Usually on buses with screeching fan belts the screeching goes away after a certain gear but on 457 it comes back each time the transmission shifts up. Also I kept the transfer I got from your 672 today, so I have something reminiscent of the last DOB bus you operated.

And no, I didn't ask for the transfer just as a souvenir. I thought I was gonna ride with an unknown operator but I actually got a known operator and you know how that goes down.

Yea, that bus is dirty in the front like 672 (destination sign cover is old and sooty). Also has excessively screeching fan belts and the engine groans alot. Usually on buses with screeching fan belts the screeching goes away after a certain gear but on 457 it comes back each time the transmission shifts up. Also I kept the transfer I got from your 672 today, so I have something reminiscent of the last DOB bus you operated.

And no, I didn't ask for the transfer just as a souvenir. I thought I was gonna ride with an unknown operator but I actually got a known operator and you know how that goes down.

Sounds like you're describing 655, the screech is mad high pitched though. I wonder why most of the MTA can't just fix these belts......Well Gun Hill is fixing some of them on thier Artics believe it or not. :eek:

On an unrelated note 455 has no screeching fan belts but sounds good. It makes a whistling sound, almost sounds like a cross between a diesel and a CNG. Maybe some crank accidentally gave it CNG fuel once when it was in Gleason (in 1995). :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=no6cXaC-Y-4

Like that? If so that whine might be the A/C compressor.

No, not like that 451 and it's not the compressor. The compressor sounds heavier and always takes breaks (most noticeably heavy in the 6xxx, O7s, C40LFs, plus in 640, 664, and a bunch of Stengel 6xx it sounds like a 6xxx). This whistling on 455 never stops even when it's idling. The breaks you would hear from the compressor sounds like crashing air and 455 doesn't do that like the 6xxx.

No, not like that 451 and it's not the compressor. The compressor sounds heavier and always takes breaks (most noticeably heavy in the 6xxx, O7s, C40LFs, plus in 640, 664, and a bunch of Stengel 6xx it sounds like a 6xxx). This whistling on 455 never stops even when it's idling. The breaks you would hear from the compressor sounds like crashing air and 455 doesn't do that like the 6xxx.
I see, so with 455 it can't be the turbo either, sounds like it has the same problem as 7793 (might have a different whine but same problem).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi94iYP8RI4

Might not hear it much but it whines @ idle.

It could be the turbos, or it had some engine work done. If you are talking about that sound, that I say sounds like a Fax machine sound, when you call a fax number (without the multi-tones though), some of the artics, RTS's, CNG's, and Orion V's do this. I think it has to do with the CPU components in the bus engine.......

It could be the turbos, or it had some engine work done. If you are talking about that sound, that I say sounds like a Fax machine sound, when you call a fax number (without the multi-tones though), some of the artics, RTS's, CNG's, and Orion V's do this. I think it has to do with the CPU components in the bus engine.......

they have that at JG orion vii 75xx.

Yeah you were telling me it sounds electronic so it could be coming from the DDEC. It's an electronic whistling noise and its changes in pitch follow the changes in the pitch of the engine depending on the engine speed. The voices are different and this whistling noise is a higher pitch but whatever sound patterns the engine follows the whistling noise follows this on its own higher voice.

Bus music is the best..

Yeah you were telling me it sounds electronic so it could be coming from the DDEC. It's an electronic whistling noise and its changes in pitch follow the changes in the pitch of the engine depending on the engine speed. The voices are different and this whistling noise is a higher pitch but whatever sound patterns the engine follows the whistling noise follows this on its own higher voice.

Bus music is the best..

i won't consider it music

Bus music is the best..

I could've sworn it was the turbo, the whine acted just like a turbo, tapering off at high RPMs and spools up when you press the gas.

Here is 7570 with the whine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sytcujLkkCw

And 175, but this one has to be the turbo, I heard my friends Lancer Evolution whine similar to this, and all Lancer Evolutions are turbo'd.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvXWPwJrqyM

I could've sworn it was the turbo, the whine acted just like a turbo, tapering off at high RPMs and spools up when you press the gas.

Here is 7570 with the whine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sytcujLkkCw

And 175, but this one has to be the turbo, I heard my friends Lancer Evolution whine similar to this, and all Lancer Evolutions are turbo'd.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvXWPwJrqyM

That's the sound. 175 is pretty loud with it. All the buses suppose to have turbos, but like I said it could be from newer CPU components in the bus, which would be linked to the turbos, just like it's linked with the tranny, and engine......

I've seen the CPU's in the engine compartment, with their flashing lights, and all.......

Archived