First Bus Ride - The N51!

VWM

My first bus ride on NICE, on the N51 to the Library!

I gotta say, seeing the bus announce my home street was pretty cool.

Here we have a Smart Sign thingy

Picture0524121603_1.jpg

The rear of 1821 at Kirkwood and Merrick Avenue

Picture0524121601_2.jpg

1821 Pulling up again on Hewlett Avenue

Picture0524121601_1.jpg

And some other miscallaneous photos of the N51

Picture0524121606_3.jpg

Picture0524121606_2.jpg

Picture0524121606_1.jpg

BONUS! N41 sign on the N51!

Picture0524121620_1.jpg

Is this really the first NICE ride you've ever taken? If so, congrats. NICE photos of 1821 and 1827. They need to wrap 1821 already. By the way, the announcement system is called the Clever Device AVA system (Clever Device for short.

Look at the first photo you can see the camera in the windshield.

If you look above the driver, to the left of the camera and up, there is a sticker with a crossed out what looks like a cellphone. That looks new. Does that say no cell phones for riders?

Is this really the first NICE ride you've ever taken? If so, congrats. NICE photos of 1821 and 1827. They need to wrap 1821 already. By the way, the announcement system is called the Clever Device AVA system (Clever Device for short.

How does it know where it's at? Is it wheel rotations or GPS, or something else?

How does it know where it's at? Is it wheel rotations or GPS, or something else?

It runs by GPS. However, sometimes the Clever Device will lag and announce too early or too late.

I heard it went by wheel rotations

I think thats just a myth, because how else could an operator be able to turn the clever device off and then back on in the middle of a route and the Clever Device knows where the bus is, not at one end of the route.

I think thats just a myth, because how else could an operator be able to turn the clever device off and then back on in the middle of a route and the Clever Device knows where the bus is, not at one end of the route.

The drivers have to manually select the stop, and they have to open and close the door at the stop so that the clever device know's where it is. , if it went by GPS then it shouldn't be off ever, and we know that's not the case.

The drivers have to manually select the stop, and they have to open and close the door at the stop so that the clever device know's where it is. , if it went by GPS then it shouldn't be off ever, and we know that's not the case.

Not true. I was just on NICE the other day and the doors didn't open when the driver reset the clever device. Also, if the Clever Device is on, the door announcement does not always sound when the doors open.

Archived