Which MTA bus has your favorite seating arrangement? (WHY)?

My favorite MTA bus seating layout is the New Flyer XD40. The legroom is the best in any bus i ridden on.

Everyone uses up the back seats...no left overs or spaces when crowded.

People would choose to stand in the back section.

The front section is nice and roomy. Lots of standing space! Love the XD40!

I hate the seating arrangements on most low floors, but I liked the O6's seating (course, that was a true low floor). Took crowds well and felt very spacious. I liked the setup on 1302 with everybody facing forwards, but nothing beats an RTS for me: well-organized, comfortable, and a good rap seat!

I hate the seating arrangements on most low floors, but I liked the O6's seating (course, that was a true low floor). Took crowds well and felt very spacious. I liked the setup on 1302 with everybody facing forwards, but nothing beats an RTS for me: well-organized, comfortable, and a good rap seat!

lol i never saw the Orion VI...curious to what the layout looked like.

1302 i believe that was the Orion VII demo?

lol i never saw the Orion VI...curious to what the layout looked like.

1302 i believe that was the Orion VII demo?

Here's a photo by Vintage Soul (Trevor Logan Jr.) of the O6 interior:

NYCB_Orion_00VI-Interior.jpg

© Trevor Logan Jr.

It was a good setup, and the back window was decent as well. The O6s were some of my favorites, always tried to catch those when I could. 1302 was one of the Designlines, basically had the setup of an Xcelsior I guess.

I like the XD40 seating arrangements because:

- More legroom for people so they can't be squished very easily!

- People start using the back section of the bus because of the wide room!

- More passengers can fit in the bus!

Most Importantly (I think):

- More standing space for people, so it can carry more passengers than vehicles like Orion 7 NG CNG!

Yes, I love the XD40s for those reasons and some others!

I like the XD40 seating arrangements because:

- More legroom for people so they can't be squished very easily!

- People start using the back section of the bus because of the wide room!

- More passengers can fit in the bus!

Most Importantly (I think):

- More standing space for people, so it can carry more passengers than vehicles like Orion 7 NG CNG!

Yes, I love the XD40s for those reasons and some others!

i agree...110%! lol

The RTS

I feel so roomy in there, but maybe it's cause I never took it during the rush hour.

in rush hour it becomes crowded....but people are really used to the seating arrangement there

ooohhh yeahh!! designline buses! noo xcelsiors are not the same

these are designlines

http://www.ttmg.org/...esignlineb.html

http://www.ttmg.org/...esignlineb.html

and these are the xcelsiors

http://www.ttmg.org/...nymta-nfij.html

http://www.ttmg.org/...nymta-nfij.html

The Designlines actually had their interiors changed in the back so the seats faced forwards, wasn't actually just a bench, those are the old photos. But yeah good buses, I miss 'em.

I like that part because you can enjoy you ride in peace

yess true! but sometimes i like to see them filled up! all nice and crowded!

The back of the Orion 7 NG CNGs are narrow. There's not enough standing space for passengers.

Yes it can fit more sitting passengers, but standing is poor like the LFS.

yess! those LFS are poor! i like the design though! but its not roomy!

The Designlines actually had their interiors changed in the back so the seats faced forwards, wasn't actually just a bench, those are the old photos. But yeah good buses, I miss 'em.

oohh i don't know what the changes look like...do you have any photos?

The fishbowl had the best seating arrangement. It allowed for the most standing space...

oohh fishbowls...they remind me of the R142 43 and 160 seating arrangement!

As a fan of high floors, and OTR and Artics side, my favorite seating arrangement I must say the ex-PBL RTS (seating capacity) with the ex-PBL Orion Vs CNGs with the suburban seating. XD

oohhh i knew someone was gonna say Orion V with the suburban seating lol! i still think the New Flyer XD40 seating was the best MTA has to offer

The RTS

I feel so roomy in there, but maybe it's cause I never took it during the rush hour.

The back of the Orion 7 NG CNGs are narrow. There's not enough standing space for passengers.

Yes it can fit more sitting passengers, but standing is poor like the LFS.

The fishbowl had the best seating arrangement. It allowed for the most standing space...

Agree with these 3 replies; agree w/ the seating arrangements on the fishbowls & the RTS as being faves, compared to other makes.... as far as the others go, they (amongst other things) deter standing pax. from wanting to make their way to the back of the bus....

I've always felt that increased seating capacity decreased overall capacity (how many pax, period, a bus can take on)..... Yes it's good that you get to sit down when (more) seats are available, but when you have to stand, you don't want to be in a predicament where there's not much standing room......

Agree with these 3 replies; agree w/ the seating arrangements on the fishbowls & the RTS as being faves, compared to other makes.... as far as the others go, they (amongst other things) deter standing pax. from wanting to make their way to the back of the bus....

I've always felt that increased seating capacity decreased overall capacity (how many pax, period, a bus can take on)..... Yes it's good that you get to sit down when (more) seats are available, but when you have to stand, you don't want to be in a predicament where there's not much standing room......

i see what you mean...as for the BTE's buses the Nova LFS and Orion VII 3g have no standing space...as for the XD40 i has to offer both

The new low floor arctics are terrible on the Manhattan crosstown routes. Those hard seats can hurt when the bus is rushing through the park on those bumpy roads, plus it seems like there's little to no suspension being that low to the ground. The seating arrangement is also annoying because there's only double seats in the back rather than a bunch of single seats in the old buses.

1302 and 1303 had the same seating setup, 1304-1306 had the modified setup. They really were good buses, the technology wasn't ready for New York, unfortunately.

1302 & 1303's seating arrangement will always be my favorite because that arrangement at the time of Low Floors because they offered the most space. In terms of high floors, RTSs. I never got to experience a ride on a Fishbowl but I do remember when Hudson Pier had them in service on the M14 before the 8600s and Novas came through.

The new low floor arctics are terrible on the Manhattan crosstown routes. Those hard seats can hurt when the bus is rushing through the park on those bumpy roads, plus it seems like there's little to no suspension being that low to the ground. The seating arrangement is also annoying because there's only double seats in the back rather than a bunch of single seats in the old buses.

I was on one of them on the M101 yesterday and while the aisles are narrow, I can live with the seats, though I do agree that they are too low to the floor and I also don't like the seating arrangement in the back. The only thing that is good about them is that they're new and have easy to read displays but even the AC on those buses lack, especially in the back so I usually stay in the middle or the front of the bus if it isn't crowded.

Archived