Passengers stuck in Bronx Zoo's cable car system

Broad St. Belle

:eek: Wow, people have been stuck on this thing since 5:30pm and they're still at least a dozen people left to rescue; including children.

By JENNIFER PELTZ

Associated Press Writer

NEW YORK (AP) -- A sightseeing cable car system at the Bronx Zoo abruptly shut down Wednesday when one of its gondolas went slightly out of alignment, stranding dozens of people high above habitats for baboons and other animals.

Firefighters and police used a crane to rescue a family of three from the offline gondola, which swung about 100 feet in the air. They were trying to get the gondola back online to allow the system to start back up; if that failed, police said, they'd use the crane to rescue the other passengers.

The cable car system, called the Skyfari, broke down during on its aerial route around 5:30 p.m., halting 14 cars, zoo spokeswoman Patti Calabrese said. Thirty adults and seven children were stranded, but no injuries had been reported, police said.

They should be lucky those storms didn't come through severely. On a side note, I would never ride a gondola or that Roosevelt Island Tram. I don't like heights of that sort, riding in vehicles of those sort.......

You should try the Spanish Aero Car in Niagara Falls, Canada.....

At least its completely over water.

Great... I've been on that before, as well as a whole bunch of others and let me tell you guys, the fear of it stopping abruptly is one of the first things to go through my head, along with my gondola falling off the cable, etc

They should be lucky those storms didn't come through severely. On a side note, I would never ride a gondola or that Roosevelt Island Tram. I don't like heights of that sort, riding in vehicles of those sort.......

:eek::confused:B) The tram is the coolest thing in the whole city! Great views, & the bridge right there in all its (mostly) re-painted glory!

- Andy

:eek::confused:B) The tram is the coolest thing in the whole city! Great views, & the bridge right there in all its (mostly) re-painted glory!

- Andy

Yeah. If heights of that sort don't bother you. It bothers me. I don't want to be in a multi-ton contraption, that is being held up by a G-String..........

The bridge looks beautiful from the ground from a distance..........

Archived