(J) train extension getting more likely

mtattrain

heres the thing, they have enough cars, once the SMS is done with the R32's, the (C) spare factor will be less cars, the skip stop can still run, remember every other train is a (J) or a (Z), it can happen, btw the crew room at 9th ave is fully rebuilt, and NO I don't agree with adding the (W) on 4th ave as a LOCAL, it would still cause problems, if this happens the (R) wouldn't need those 5 extra train sets that were added in 2010, those 5 train sets of R46's can go to Pitkin for the (A), that could bump off 50-60 R32's to ENY to the (J)/ (Z), believe it or Not 4th ave needs another local badly, and NOT from broadway, the (J) is the only choice unless they bring back something like the brown <R>, 48 R42's with 50-60 R32's will be more than enough for the exstention since they added 5 train sets to the (R), the (R) is always delayed due to (N)/ (Q) trains in the 60th st tube, adding the (W) would cause more delays, having the (J) or another nassau st line on 4th ave would be the best choice, and no the (M) will stay the same as it goes to 71st ave, basically the (J)/(Z) would still terminate at 9th ave instead of broad st, unless they can think of something where they can still turn the (Z) around at broad while the (J)'s go to 9th ave

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is because there is no express tracks on the Jamaica Line...

Again it won't work because of reasons I mentioned that it will also kill skip stop service. We can't afford to kill skip stop service right now period. I am not being mean, but Jamaica Line residents will kill you if you try. Not literally of course.

Negative partly. The M track COULD be used for Express Service. (MARCY - ENY), only reason why its not used from Myrtle-ENY, is because they'd rather use that track for moving trains in and out of the yard. I'd use that for Rush Hour Express (Peak for the (Z)), while continuing the normal (J)/(Z) Marcy - Myrtle Express.

Yes but adding a Nassau St line to 4th Ave, wouldn't help that much. It would only serve three stops in Manhattan, V.S. the (W) which would provide stops all trough manhattan.

Yes but adding a Nassau St line to 4th Ave, wouldn't help that much. It would only serve three stops in Manhattan, V.S. the (W) which would provide stops all trough manhattan.

3 stops? 4th Avenue doesn't have 3 stops. Besides, it would be helping everything between Court Street and 36th Street, followed by ending at 9th Avenue.

Trust me. The (R) is always delayed. Even in Rush Hours, some of the trains have 10 minute headways. Its horrible. I know becuase i take it every single day to go to school. There is desperate need for a 4 Avenue local. The (J) has to be the only option at this point.

Trust me. The (R) is always delayed. Even in Rush Hours, some of the trains have 10 minute headways. Its horrible. I know becuase i take it every single day to go to school. There is desperate need for a 4 Avenue local. The (J) has to be the only option at this point.

If it wont result in less (R) trains coming by then absolutely. The old <M> to Chambers was a great way to get to the east side IRT.

3 stops? 4th Avenue doesn't have 3 stops. Besides, it would be helping everything between Court Street and 36th Street, followed by ending at 9th Avenue.

He means 3 stops in Manhattan.

He is still incorrect though. Broad St [J][Z], Fulton St (A)(C)(J)<Z> (2)(3)(4)(5), Chambers St [J](R)<Z> (4)(5)[6], Canal St (J)(N)(Q)(R)<Z> (6), Bowery (J)<Z>, and Essex St (F)(J)(M)<Z>.

With all those transfers, you can get to every single line.

I agree. Especially now that the (R) connects to the (A)(C) and (F) at Jay st. Another local could really be used, I agree.

Here was my idea:

(J)(M)(Z)--

Use the center tracks from Marcy to Bway Junction as the (Z) express, peak direction only, rush hours only. This train would continue as a local to Jamaica. Either that or tweak the schedule to have the (Z) stop at Crescent St, Woodhaven Blvd and Jamaica only. Good scheduling would have to be used. This kind of setup is used in Paris. This train would go from Broad st- Jamaica, rush hours only.

The (J) would go from local from 8th Av (on the (N) line--this is to connect the two Chinatowns and give Sunset Park residents extra service) to Jamaica Center. It would otherwise resume its normal route during non-rush.

The (M) would run local on Broadway.

I don't know how feasible this is, but that is my idea.

It would require some darn good scheduling and a good signal system to boot.

The point of skip stop is for trains to make every other stop. If you have a train skip more than one stop, it will just be held up by the train in front of it without a place to bypass it on the 2 track segments. 9th av in Brooklyn makes more sense to turn back the (J) as it is a 3 track station and the main part of 4th av that needs it can be satisfied up to 36th st.

I believe they don't want to run express service b/w Broadway Junction and Myrtle av is because it would cause further delays due to the (M) having to merge onto Broadway there.

I was referring to a clockface schedule, of course modified for NYC subway needs.

Here's what I was thinking:

So, send a (Z) train out.

The (J) will immediately follow.

The (Z) makes both stops in Jamaica, then goes to Woodhaven Blvd, Crescent st, and Bway Junction where it proceeds along the third track (after BWay Junction) stopping at Myrtle and Marcy. It continues through lower Manhattan, terminating at Broad st.

This will be from 7:00am to 9:30am only.

The (Z), in essence, will be a (J) train, some of which will be sent express (like the setup now).

Making the return trip, the (Z) trains will change their route designation to (J), that's all.

Some of these trains can idle at Chambers, waiting to make their evening run.

The evening run can be from 4:30 to 7:30 or 8pm. The same process can be repeated, just in reverse.

Or to simplify things, both the (J) and " (Z)" trains can be sent to 9th av during rush hours, and the (Z) will proceed as I just indicated.

It really would have been nice if the original planners had built it as a three tracked line for MOST of the route at least from Essex (over the bridge) to Jamaica. That would have made it a VERY useful line.

Jamaica could use another express train.

I agree. Especially now that the (R) connects to the (A)(C) and (F) at Jay st. Another local could really be used, I agree.

Here was my idea:

(J)(M)(Z)--

Use the center tracks from Marcy to Bway Junction as the (Z) express, peak direction only, rush hours only. This train would continue as a local to Jamaica. Either that or tweak the schedule to have the (Z) stop at Crescent St, Woodhaven Blvd and Jamaica only. Good scheduling would have to be used. This kind of setup is used in Paris. This train would go from Broad st- Jamaica, rush hours only.

The (J) would go from local from 8th Av (on the (N) line--this is to connect the two Chinatowns and give Sunset Park residents extra service) to Jamaica Center. It would otherwise resume its normal route during non-rush.

The (M) would run local on Broadway.

I don't know how feasible this is, but that is my idea.

It would require some darn good scheduling and a good signal system to boot.

Chinatown riders in Brooklyn want express service to Manhattan. (J) to 8 th av (N) would not work for reasons. 1, There is no place to relay trains smoothly on the Sea Beach except Kings Highway, 86st, and Coney Island. 2, The people at 8th av would not even go on the (J) since it will add 15 minutes extra on their travel to Manhattan and will continue to take the (N) which leads to very low ridership on the (J) between 36st and 8th av. 3, As what Grand Concourse said the only part that needs Nassau st service is between Court and 36st.

I was referring to a clockface schedule, of course modified for NYC subway needs.

The (Z) makes both stops in Jamaica, then goes to Woodhaven Blvd, Crescent st, and Bway Junction where it proceeds along the third track (after BWay Junction) stopping at Myrtle and Marcy. It continues through lower Manhattan, terminating at Broad st.

The (Z), in essence, will be a (J) train, some of which will be sent express (like the setup now).

Making the return trip, the (Z) trains will change their route designation to (J), that's all.

The evening run can be from 4:30 to 7:30 or 8pm. The same process can be repeated, just in reverse.

Or to simplify things, both the (J) and " (Z)" trains can be sent to 9th av during rush hours, and the (Z) will proceed as I just indicated.

It really would have been nice if the original planners had built it as a three tracked line for MOST of the route at least from Essex (over the bridge) to Jamaica. That would have made it a VERY useful line.

Wait a second. Would you keep the skip-stop service between Jamaica and Broadway Junction? Because I think getting rid of that would make things much slower for the riders in that area, regardless of whether you have the Broadway Jct-Myrtle Av express service.

So this is what I think.

(J) trains go to 9 Av rush hours, 4 Av Local.

(Z) trains become <J> trains, which run rush hours only.

<J> or (Z) trains run Express Marcy Av to ENY, (J) runs Local.

About the return trip, it is surely easy for an R160 (Z) to go as a (J), but I don't see why it needs to change. As for R42s, I think they should just keep them the way they run now, making return trips as (Z) trains. They don't change the <6> or the <7>, they just change the stops. I surely see why you could change the destination signs for R160s thogh.

Guest Lance

Unless you boost the amount of local (J) trains, you're going to have a whole lot more passengers at Jamaica line stations west of Broadway Junction. Remember that one of the main functions of the (J)/(Z) skip-stop is better passenger distribution.

I don't know if I really like this whole Myrtle - Bwy Jct express thing. Let's say we made the (Z) the express. Wouldn't it just create overcrowding on the (Z), because Jamaica riders would not want to take the (J) anymore?

The beauty of skip-stop service is that you don't have one line that is significantly faster than the other. Whereas if most riders are traveling peak-direction, and you have a faster "express" service, everyone is going to get on the express because it takes them to/from Manhattan quickest.

With skip-stop, just about every other station is a (J) only or a (Z) only. It evens out the ridership. But if you look at the map, the Myrtle - Bwy Jct express would leave just 4 (J)-only stations. The rest would give a lot of people the opportunity to get on the faster (Z). This supports my point that the (Z) would be packed, and the (J) more empty.

Moreover, let's just agree that this proposed exp/local setup wouldn't give ANYONE a faster ride. The Myrtle - Bwy Jct express saves fewer stops than the current skip-stop setup.

The <R> bullet is available, but your best bet is the ( W ) if anything.

So you are tellin me that tey should run the (J)( W ) (Z) or (J)<R> (Z) altogether? I am lost with your idea.

I think it should just be a brown (V). The (W) might come back as a Broadway Local to help the (N). The brown (V) could run from Chambers Street to Bay Parkway.

Local service is not that slow. Barring delays, the (J) train gets in and out of it's stations fairly quickly. Skip-stop is faster, but not that much faster. I say eliminate skip-stop and make the (Z) an express from the Junction to Marcy Av., peak-direction, terminating at Broad St.

I think it should just be a brown (V). The (W) might come back as a Broadway Local to help the (N). The brown (V) could run from Chambers Street to Bay Parkway.

Why do you want to run from Chambers St? That holds up (J)(Z) traffic to Broad St, but (J) trains terminating at Chambers St can be easily solved by putting them on the middle track. Why not just do what many have said, extend the (J) rush hours down to 9 Av.

The Nassau Line does what one of the few lines does; Gives service to every line in Manhattan. Plus it would be easing the load on the (R) during rush hours. Problem solved? I think yes.

Side note for everyone else, try to keep this in tact.

Local service is not that slow. Barring delays, the (J) train gets in and out of it's stations fairly quickly. Skip-stop is faster, but not that much faster. I say eliminate skip-stop and make the (Z) an express from the Junction to Marcy Av., peak-direction, terminating at Broad St.

Maybe not, but people who don't understand that will think, "oh, it's an express. It must be a lot faster."

I still really don't get the point of the Myrtle-Bwy Jct express idea. Can someone please explain why a route that is actually slower than the existing skip-stop will improve anything?

Archived