(J) train extension getting more likely

mtattrain

I think it should just be a brown (V). The (W) might come back as a Broadway Local to help the (N). The brown (V) could run from Chambers Street to Bay Parkway.

The (N) doesn't need any help. It's fine the way it is. we are talking about the (R). Also bringing back a train line is basically pointless at this point. Especially a retired one with just a different color. If you do that, the only trains you would have to run on the so called Brown (V) would be R160's.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The (N) doesn't need any help. It's fine the way it is. we are talking about the (R). Also bringing back a train line is basically pointless at this point. Especially a retired one with just a different color. If you do that, the only trains you would have to run on the so called Brown (V) would be R160's.

The West End Line Bay Parkway Station...

Maybe not, but people who don't understand that will think, "oh, it's an express. It must be a lot faster."

I still really don't get the point of the Myrtle-Bwy Jct express idea. Can someone please explain why a route that is actually slower than the existing skip-stop will improve anything?

It's part of that 'there's an express track there, why not use them?' mentality. Like I said before, I don't think that segment will see use because of it adding another merging issue for the (M) at Myrtle. If both directions of the (M) didn't have a level crossing, (think Broadway Junction where the (L) can switch to the (J) ), then maybe an express service thru that area could happen.

It's part of that 'there's an express track there, why not use them?' mentality. Like I said before, I don't think that segment will see use because of it adding another merging issue for the (M) at Myrtle. If both directions of the (M) didn't have a level crossing, (think Broadway Junction where the (L) can switch to the (J) ), then maybe an express service thru that area could happen.

Yeah, we railfans (myself included) just seem to love finding every single possibility for a new express service. It's quite fun, actually, to come up with new route ideas, and it certainly doesn't make you a foamer or whatever. But there comes a time when you just have to sit back and think, "will this really improve the system?" Often, the answer is no.

It's just easier to create something like the <R> or just wait for the (W).

It just doesn't have the same appeal as the J extension to 4th Avenue: A Jamaica line that goes to Downtown Brooklyn.

And yet again;

A (J) extension would give help to the (R) 4 Av, and give the 4 Av customers service to EVERY LINE. Except the Shuttles.

Don't forget the no.7 train. The J is the only line that doesn't connect to the 7.

I think an idea that might work is something that is similar to the (7)<7> on the Flushing Line. Create a (J) and a <J> to replace the (Z) and have the <J> run express during rush hours. Have the (J) extended to Bay Parkway on the (D) line. This would solve the skip stop problems that would be encountered, and it would allow the (J) to run to South Brooklyn. I don't see any other way to work around this sadly...

The problem is there is a risk in which it will kill (J)/ (Z) skip stop service.

No It wont if you run the (Z) completley local in Brooklyn! Because riders do not need skip stop on a line served by other lines! Once they reach 9th Av, they will just either turn into (J)s or just wait to turn into (Z)s, waiting on the middle track.

There's the L..

Broadway Junction.

No It wont if you run the (Z) completley local in Brooklyn! Because riders do not need skip stop on a line served by other lines! Once they reach 9th Av, they will just either turn into (J)s or just wait to turn into (Z)s, waiting on the middle track.

The timing will be completely off. Also the (Z) is a rush hour skip stop service and would not be workable..

So you are saying send the <J> to Chambers/Broad St? Or send it like what they do with the extra <5><6><7>(Z) and formerly (1) trains going to the terminals, to Bay Parkway

They would run as (J) trains once they finish their run and go to Brooklyn.

I think an idea that might work is something that is similar to the (7)<7> on the Flushing Line. Create a (J) and a <J> to replace the (Z) and have the <J> run express during rush hours. Have the (J) extended to Bay Parkway on the (D) line. This would solve the skip stop problems that would be encountered, and it would allow the (J) to run to South Brooklyn. I don't see any other way to work around this sadly...

I never liked the idea of wasting a letter on a skip-stop (glad the (9) ended), and think the 4-min headway all the way to Bay Pkwy is a bit extravagant, (Wasn't the old ( M ) underused?) so what I would like to see is the 4-min. (J) to Broad, and the (Z) changed into the new Banker's special from the south. (Becoming its own line, based out of CI, and perhaps using 5 car CI R160's). Maybe even have a <J> run express from Bwy Jct to Myrtle.

A thought:

Wouldn't it be possible to add enough five-car sets of 160s from elsewhere and combine them with four-car sets to make nine-car trains that could run on the (J)? It's been mentioned many times that most, if not all stations in the Eastern Division used to be able to handle eight-car Standard trains with those 67' cars, which although a tight fit would probably allow for nine-car trains and perhaps enough trains to allow this extension on the (J) to happen.

Reread the post, the poster said the (J) was the only line that doesn't connect to the (7). my comment was to correct that statement.

No, I said that if the (J) ran down 4 Av, it would give customers service to EVERY line.

But VWM was right, the only line that the (J) does not connect to is the (7)<7>.

My exact words;

And yet again;

A (J) extension would give help to the (R) 4 Av, and give the 4 Av customers service to EVERY LINE. Except the Shuttles.

A thought:

Wouldn't it be possible to add enough five-car sets of 160s from elsewhere and combine them with four-car sets to make nine-car trains that could run on the (J)? It's been mentioned many times that most, if not all stations in the Eastern Division used to be able to handle eight-car Standard trains with those 67' cars, which although a tight fit would probably allow for nine-car trains and perhaps enough trains to allow this extension on the (J) to happen.

What would you do with the unused 5 car sets??? Let's say you took some of Jamaica Yard's 5 car sets of R160s to put them into service on the (J)(Z). Jamaica would be short by a bunch of cars, and then ENY yard would give them their leftover 4 car sets in return. What you'd be left with is 9-car trains on the (E)(F), which would be a disaster for obvious reasons.

Wait, now see here are the flaws that everyone seems to be overlooking;

1. Why only provide service to Nassau St? yes, while this is mainly for helping out the (R), if possible we should try to give people a one seat ride (A.K.A. the (W) which would be perfectly eligible for the extension) to their destination. Now i'm not an (R) rider, but really, how many people get off below Canal? Wouldn't it be better to run throughout manhattan?

2. Why kill skip-stop service? I don't know if i'm missing something here but HOW would this kill skip-stop service? Really, why can't you just run the (Z)'s out of Bay Parkway/9th Ave? I'm sorry but I am just not seeing the problem here. In addition if it's just a problem about what to do in Brooklyn, run it like regular (J) service in Brooklyn. Also iv'e seen the Nassau St trains, and no they aren't crowded. But if the riders from the other line were to transfer over.... That's a whole other story. So why kill it unless it was a budget cut? And the (Z) is obviously doing good enough because it went trough the 04 and 09 cuts.

3. How would an express to Bway Jct make up for the (Z)?

3a; That's not even remotely close to the (Z).

3b; As TheSubwayStation stated, everybody would just hop onto the express, despite how quick it is making the express super crowded, and the (J) very minimal peak ridership. Which means people will complain...

3c; I'm sure if we put to our minds to it we could come with a better usage of the express track (Even a <L>)

You keep saying that but your'e not explaining WHY?

Also, it is still rumored that the (W) will be bought back for serve Astoria after the (Q) goes up to 2nd Ave.

So there's as much a chance as this happening at that.

Archived