Mayor Bloomberg wants to impose 16-ounce limit on sugar drinks

mark1447

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It has?! OMG! With all the people drinking it, we should certainly ban it, because there's probably 0.0005% of them with cancer.

But wait, correlation does not prove causation, like I said again.

The fact of the matter is what people don't realize is that obese folks DO affect everyone else and the increase in medical costs for the city affects everyone. Higher premiums for healthcare and higher medical costs often translate to higher taxes for you and I. Now I don't necessarily agree with this, BUT from a cost perspective it's a good plan. I'm sorry but if some fat slob wants to kill himself I say more power to him, but why should my health premiums and taxes go up because of him or her?? <_<

Quite frankly, this isn't really about playing nanny or even that the Mayor cares oh so much about everyone's health. It's an initiative being taken by various cities and various companies. Healthier people mean lower company costs, and lower city and state costs.

The issue is that healthcare costs continue to skyrocket and what folks don't realize is it has to be paid for... If you don't like the nanny state then explain to me what you would suggest then so that our healthcare premiums and taxes don't continue to increase constantly.

For the record, this is also why countries around the world started attacking cigarettes because of the tax burden on tax payers.

No offense man but that is a stupid excuse,True that we need to cut down on obesity as well talking to people to stop using cigarettes but this is not going to make heath care cost go down. you have to think about the other factor besides obesity the are driving up heath care cost like people getting illnesses that are beyond there control like cancer, beside king bloomberg does a good job by scaring new yorker by putting does ant-obesity and ant-tabaco ad on TV anyway.

Again even if this proposal passes it's not going to bring heath care cost go down.

No offense man but that is a stupid excuse,True that we need to cut down on obesity as well talking to people to stop using cigarettes but this is not going to make heath care cost go down. you have to think about the other factor besides obesity the are driving up heath care cost like people getting illnesses that are beyond there control like cancer, beside king bloomberg does a good job by scaring new yorker by putting does ant-obesity and ant-tabaco ad on TV anyway.

Again even if this proposal passes it's not going to bring heath care cost go down.

That's not an excuse at all... Obesity has caused healthcare rates to skyrocket, as well as additional taxes... Airplanes have to make bigger seats now to accommodate obese people, increasing their cost. You think it's stupid because I'm willing to bet that you're not even an adult and don't pay taxes or have to pay for healthcare. Mamma and dadda cover that for you... :lol:

I'll chime in on this issue: obviously this is government infringing on our rights again. Other than the smoking ban (which I approve because I don't want to inhale 2nd hand smoke), banning these size portions doesn't do much to address the real problem and that's people's poor eating habits. As reported: what's to stop a person from just ordering another cup to get about the same or more ounces of soda? And what about the free refills at some places? Instead of taking things or banning them, why not educate people about the dangers of excess?

As for those that chooses to live on poor eating habits, if they incur higher medical costs, then they should be the ones to pay more out of their own pocket for whatever care they need. If people are told that poor eating will lead to higher insurance costs, then maybe they might 'quit the habit' and choose more healthier options. Fast food chains should also be spread out instead of concentrated in one area of certain neighborhoods and allow for alternative food stores.

I'll stick to my Aspartame, Phosphoric Acid, and Potassium Benzonate loaded Diet Pepsi, thank you very much.

Yeah and to reword what you said scientifically to tell you how bad it is "Fake sugar made by genetically modified organisms (GMO), chemicals, and chemicals." That is what you are drinking.

I'll chime in on this issue: obviously this is government infringing on our rights again. Other than the smoking ban (which I approve because I don't want to inhale 2nd hand smoke), banning these size portions doesn't do much to address the real problem and that's people's poor eating habits. As reported: what's to stop a person from just ordering another cup to get about the same or more ounces of soda? And what about the free refills at some places? Instead of taking things or banning them, why not educate people about the dangers of excess?

As for those that chooses to live on poor eating habits, if they incur higher medical costs, then they should be the ones to pay more out of their own pocket for whatever care they need. If people are told that poor eating will lead to higher insurance costs, then maybe they might 'quit the habit' and choose more healthier options. Fast food chains should also be spread out instead of concentrated in one area of certain neighborhoods and allow for alternative food stores.

Well think about about it... The average American is lazy... If they have to get two or three cups to get what they were drinking before they may not bother or they may realize that they are taking in more than they should.

In Europe fast food places like McDonald's... They charge extra for condiments like ketchup and guess what? When folks have to pay for them they don't bother with them. The same should apply here, but the fast food restaurants want it this way because it allows them to rake in the profits. It's not a coincidence that they're concentrated in poor neighborhoods, but they know that the folks there will go to them.

The other thing is many Americans don't have healthcare insurance so if they don't have insurance, obviously they're not going to care about increased costs since it isn't coming out of their pocket. They should've passed that tax bill on soda.

Yeah and to reword what you said scientifically to tell you how bad it is "Fake sugar made by genetically modified organisms (GMO), chemicals, and chemicals." That is what you are drinking.

And that's supposed to scare me? Chemistry is one of man's greatest achievements.

Well think about about it... The average American is lazy... If they have to get two or three cups to get what they were drinking before they may not bother or they may realize that they are taking in more than they should.

In Europe fast food places like McDonald's... They charge extra for condiments like ketchup and guess what? When folks have to pay for them they don't bother with them. The same should apply here, but the fast food restaurants want it this way because it allows them to rake in the profits. It's not a coincidence that they're concentrated in poor neighborhoods, but they know that the folks there will go to them.

The other thing is many Americans don't have healthcare insurance so if they don't have insurance, obviously they're not going to care about increased costs since it isn't coming out of their pocket. They should've passed that tax bill on soda.

Though obesity is a cause of higher healthcare rates, you might be blowing this out of proportion.

• Don't blame obesity for higher airline prices. (In reply to an earlier post.) Higher fuel prices and taxes are to blame. If anything, the airlines are making more money off of these people because of the two-seat rule.

• Not every obese American is poor. I know you are going to say "well most are" but that really isn't true.

• The soda bill will fail. Too many agencies and companies will protest.

Of course genetic issues can be a reason for a person to be obese (which would be the exception-diet and exercise as not being enough), and if there are wealthier obese people, then medical costs should not be an issue for them. As for airplanes, if a person is occupying more than one seat, they should pay for the 2nd seat. I am not sitting in that next seat being crushed for 2-5 hours even if I get a reduced fare.

Well look at the tobacco companies, they've been hit with higher costs and are still around. Sometimes the government has to get tough on companies especially when they knowingly sell a product that isn't very healthy.

They may not have insurance, but if they know that 'x' operation will cost $10k and the government will not be reembersing them, then I think they will start looking for alternative eating habits. As for food stamps, those should be used for only essential foods and no junk food.

Though obesity is a cause of higher healthcare rates, you might be blowing this out of proportion.

Not at all... These are all facts... The obesity epidemic in this country has caused healthcare rates to skyrocket.

Don't blame obesity for higher airline prices. (In reply to an earlier post.) Higher fuel prices and taxes are to blame. If anything, the airlines are making more money off of these people because of the two-seat rule.

It isn't just that... It's also the issue that it takes more fuel to carry obese people since they weigh more, so while you don't have to blame obesity per se for higher airline prices, it does cost them more to carry obese people (literally).

Not every obese American is poor. I know you are going to say "well most are" but that really isn't true.

Of course not and that's the scary part.

The soda bill will fail. Too many agencies and companies will protest.

We'll have to wait and see... The same was said about big tobacco...

About what the mayor wants to impose, I don't have a favorable opinion either way....

Don't disagree w/ what he's suggesting, and don't disagree w/ the people who feel that he shouldn't be tryna limit what people should/shouldn't drink..... Instead of buying the larger quantity sodas, what's to stop someone from buying several smaller quantities from different places (or even the same place)......

Me personally, I've drastically cut down on my sprite intake (which is the only soda I care to drink now, since 7up went down the tubes years ago), and I seldom get sodas from the fast food spots or whatever..... Matter fact, I went to BK today (the one over on 34th, just short of 8th av) & got 3 whopper jr's w/ cheese & a large onion rings - Went over to the corner store on 29th/8th (because I refuse to buy ANYTHING from a hudson news anymore) & got 2 bottled waters, then made my way back to work.... IMO, you don't get your money's worth when you get drinks from a fast food restaurant anyway....

This can sure help for some people, but others, just like the parking on the street with buses issue, will hate it a ton. I will be pissed if I go to NY and can't get a 2 Liter pepsi.

Don't blame obesity for higher airline prices. (In reply to an earlier post.) Higher fuel prices and taxes are to blame. If anything, the airlines are making more money off of these people because of the two-seat rule.

I do not know if obesity is to blame, but the airlines are losing money now. Everyone is slowly transitioning to the CR. You can see the way that the pilot salaries are dropping, and the more and more that are getting laid off. It is also a problem in the Caribbean. Pilots are going on strike, and getting laid off because of low salary.

Well, it might have been mentioned here in some sort of way, but that breaks the 1st Amendment of the Constitution-Which is all citizens have the right to do anything. Micheal Blahberg would break the 1st Amendment. So it's uncinstitutional. Blahberg can't change the constitution. And, that's how, my friends, obama will not support this or Cuomo, that is. If any of these people support it, their against there own country's constitution. I have the right to by a 20 oz. Drink, as well as the craxy person behind me. So, he's saying we CAN do anything BUT drink sodas, what's next now, hamburgers, french fries. Does he wanna ban fast food. Some people can be a**es on the laws they try to pass, and blahberg just got one point on the dumba** scale

This can sure help for some people, but others, just like the parking on the street with buses issue, will hate it a ton. I will be pissed if I go to NY and can't get a 2 Liter pepsi.

This only applies to restaurants. You'll still be able to pick up a 2-liter soda at the supermarket or corner deli or whatever.

I don't really have an opinion on this. I mean, if this completely banned all large containers of soda (so you couldn't get a 2-liter bottle anymore), then yeah, I'd be opposed. But if somebody wants a 20 ounce soda, they could just go to a deli or something and pick that up before going into McDonald's (though I don't know if they have that "no outside food" rule). Me personally, if I want soda, the last place I'll get it is a fast food restaurant.

Now I got to admit, that's always funny. Also, there have been various studies saying that diet soda is actually worst than regular soda, so take from that what you will.

I learned this in health class today! Apparently diet soda, has more chemicals which make it very sweet. They used this as opposed to sugar, so there is less calories in the drink. These chemicals and processed stuff are really not good for us, and I heard its really bad for our hearts, ppl drink it because it has less calories, assuming that its better for them, but ofc they don't know what's actually in the drink. This is partially why we have an obesity epidemic, ppl don't check and see what's in the food they eat, they just eat it, and ofc the other half is a combination of poor nutrition knowledge and the fact that unhealthy food is cheap and affordable...

I think that the mayor doesn't necessarily have a right to tell ppl what they can and can't eat/drink, yes we have an obesity issue, but limiting food & drink isn't going to help them... That's punishing them, which isn't going to want them to become healthy like Bloomberg magically thinks they will... Instead of attacking what he "thinks" is the problem.. he needs to help with the solution... There has to be a way healthy food can become more affordable, but thats only half of it, as to lose weight, as everybody knows, is exercise....

I think that the mayor doesn't necessarily have a right to tell ppl what they can and can't eat/drink, yes we have an obesity issue, but limiting food & drink isn't going to help them... That's punishing them, which isn't going to want them to become healthy like Bloomberg magically thinks they will... Instead of attacking what he "thinks" is the problem.. he needs to help with the solution... There has to be a way healthy food can become more affordable, but thats only half of it, as to lose weight, as everybody knows, is exercise....

Limiting food portions does help... We have caloric intake guides for a reason, which nearly 2/3rds of Americans don't follow... So about 66% of Americans are obese or overweight... As I've said before, many people qualify for foodstamps so the excuse of healthy food being too expensive is lame. I've seen plenty of people go to Whole Foods with food stamps, as Whole Foods and I believe Trader Joe's accepts food stamps, so there is no excuse.

I would also like to add that preparing cooked meals can allow one to eat quite well at a reasonable cost. Now I'll admit that I spend a good $600.00 - $700.00 a month for food just for myself, but that's because I often times don't cook and get pre-made things from Whole Foods, though I do make my own spinach salads and such. That said, if one goes into Trader Joe's or even Whole Foods for the basics without the chips or cakes or anything, you can get plenty of food at a reasonable price.

Well, it might have been mentioned here in some sort of way, but that breaks the 1st Amendment of the Constitution-Which is all citizens have the right to do anything.

Really?

Word for word (from Wikipedia):

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Where is the supposed freedom to drink soda? Or, for that matter, to do anything? The 1st Amendment has nothing to do with this.

What I will say is that although combating obesity is a noble goal, this is not the way to do it. If anything, the soda tax was a better idea.

Limiting food portions does help... We have caloric intake guides for a reason, which nearly 2/3rds of Americans don't follow... So about 66% of Americans are obese or overweight... As I've said before, many people qualify for foodstamps so the excuse of healthy food being too expensive is lame. I've seen plenty of people go to Whole Foods with food stamps, as Whole Foods and I believe Trader Joe's accepts food stamps, so there is no excuse.

I don't know much about food stamps because my family doesn't qualify for them, but many may not know that... Its going to take a lot to fix this obesity problem as I can see.... Point is, that bloomberg's idea isn't the best, limiting portions does help, but it would benefit ppl more if food portions were limited, not necessarily beverages..

I don't know much about food stamps because my family doesn't qualify for them, but many may not know that... Its going to take a lot to fix this obesity problem as I can see.... Point is, that bloomberg's idea isn't the best, limiting portions does help, but it would benefit ppl more if food portions were limited, not necessarily beverages..

Not true... Beverages add empty calories and folks drink up the empty calories not realizing it. Me for example I rarely drink juice or soda and only natural beverages. There's an herbal tea drink that I get from Whole Foods as a treat when I get tired of drinking Perrier or San Pellegrino, but for most part I drink sparkling water daily. I always have a few bottles of Perrier Lemon and Perrier Lime in the fridge when I'm thirsty. Very refreshing without the sugar.

Archived