Mayor Bloomberg wants to impose 16-ounce limit on sugar drinks

mark1447

I've been watching this thread for a few days now and I have to ask. What does any of the stuff posted in the previous pages have anything to do with the ban on soda? We went from sodas to foods, to Italy, to vacations, to the personal lives of some users, to who has more income? WTF is going on here?

Well, if some people didn't find it necessary to twist every thread out of proportion, this wouldn't happen...

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tap water in some parts of the USA *cough Calif., Arizona, etc. still needs to be boiled. Hell I live in upstate ny not far from the catskills and i always boil my water and refigrate it before i drink it.

Tell me about it. Even here in Manhattan I can't drink my own tap water cause the building's pipes are too rotted. I do better walking to a park and drinking from a fountain. And some days, it just comes out plain brown. Chocolate brown. The amount of money I have to waste on buying bottled water when that happens...ridiculous.

This thread isn't about your personal vacations and the fancy water you can afford to buy. Quite frankly, it's water. It's not healthy. It's just water.

We are here to discuss the proposed soda ban. I am tired of this constant bragging. Not everyone can go to the places you go to, so stop rubbing it it our faces.

Are you kidding me? I was discussing soda consumption in different places and how the cost factor in some places meant that people drink less of it. And then you turn around and say that water isn't healthy?? Talk about uninformed... <_<

I've been watching this thread for a few days now and I have to ask. What does any of the stuff posted in the previous pages have anything to do with the ban on soda? We went from sodas to foods, to Italy, to vacations, to the personal lives of some users, to who has more income? WTF is going on here?

Why don't you answer that question then? There is most certainly a correlation between the soda ban, food and income, which was the point I was making earlier. We first started discussing our opinions on the ban and other factors that contribute to more soda consumption over other healthier choices and so on. These are all part of the issue. The soda ban leads to the bigger discussion of lifestyles and obesity in this country and income, so it is all related.

Well tap water is discouraged from being consumed in certain places. For example, when I lived in Italy, we drank bottled water because the tap water had too much chlorine in it. In fact it was so strong that you could smell it if you tried to drink some. When I came back from Europe, I stuck with bottled water since I don't like the aftertaste of New York tap water. I usually go for Volvic from France (spring water), Voss from Norway (still mineral water), Acqua Panna (still mineral water from Italy) or on occasion Jana from Croatia. I prefer getting glass bottles though since I'm not wild about the plastic, but if the water is good enough I overlook that.

The funny thing about Italy is that while the tap water was non drinkable, the water from the Roman fountains was AMAZING. I actually went back to Rome for a second time and made sure to visit this one spot just for the water. The shot below is of Castel Sant'Angelo in Rome, but not too far from where I took that shot is a nice medieval fountain back from the Roman times... The water was so pure with no aftertaste. I sat there drinking for a while... In case your curious about where this is in Rome, it isn't too far from the Vatican which is about a 10 - 15 minute walk from there tops.

CastelSantAngelo1.jpg

Another place that had great water was Verona... I walked up hundreds of stairs to get to this place where I could take great shots of the entire city and when I finally reached the top I was dying from thirst and low and behold a fountain was there to greet me. Me and this Argentinian guy were chatting in Spanish about how great it was to have a fountain next to such a great view like the shots I took below.

Verona13.jpg

Verona14.jpg

Verona16.jpg

The thing that is interesting is that you don't get those big sodas like that in Europe. I can recall paying 3,00 for a small glass bottle of Sprite. Even in the supermarkets it is expensive because it is an import, but also because it discourages folks from drinking too much of that garbage.

Tell me how your beautiful photos are beneficial to this discussion on soda...

Tell me how your beautiful photos are beneficial to this discussion on soda...

If you were paying attention, in that same post I discussed the high cost of soda in some places, which discourages consumption, how folks are forced to buy bottled water because of a lack of access to decent tap water and the irony of having good water in some places I've been for free. All of this in the post I discussed showed that soda consumption would be significantly lower if the cost were increased, and if other good tasting drinks were available for next to nothing, which is basically what I paid when drinking from the fountains. The photos were posted simply to show some of the odd locations in which fountains are around which for me was odd and it would nice to have this set up here in New York City. Now here in the city they had some "fountains" by Union Square but it was basically from a fire hose, so if you're hot in that instance you'd either buy bottled water, or a soda probably depending on what you could afford. Further along in the post we discussed why soda consumption is so high and one answer given is that it is cheap. I think the city is trying to offer cheap alternatives, but probably not doing a good job of making them attractive.

If you were paying attention, in that same post I discussed the high cost of soda in some places, which discourages consumption, how folks are forced to buy bottled water because of a lack of access to decent tap water and the irony of having good water in some places I've been for free. All of this in the post I discussed showed that soda consumption would be significantly lower if the cost were increased, and if other good tasting drinks were available for next to nothing, which is basically what I paid when drinking from the fountains. The photos were posted simply to show some of the odd locations in which fountains are around which for me was odd and it would nice to have this set up here in New York City. Now here in the city they had some "fountains" by Union Square but it was basically from a fire hose, so if you're hot in that instance you'd either buy bottled water, or a soda probably depending on what you could afford. Further along in the post we discussed why soda consumption is so high and one answer given is that it is cheap. I think the city is trying to offer cheap alternatives, but probably not doing a good job of making them attractive.

Well, you mentioned the high cost of soda in Europe but then went on about all of the fine water you've found in various places in your travels. That's the part that is irrelevant to the discussion.

Well, you mentioned the high cost of soda in Europe but then went on about all of the fine water you've found in various places in your travels. That's the part that is irrelevant to the discussion.

I wouldn't call it irrelevant because part of the discussion was ALTERNATIVES to soda consumption, which in reality is part of the reason for this soda ban proposal. If you look at the original proposal by the former Governor who proposed a soda tax, the idea was to make it more expensive and make folks use alternatives, which very well could be bottled waters or sparkling water or what have you, but these alternatives are indeed cheaper in other places in comparison to soda so that could be one reason that they are consumed more in some places as opposed to soda. And I'd also like to know what is supposed to be so much healthier than water in comparison to soda since a few individuals in here claim that water is "unhealthy"?? <_<

Anybody who claims here that water is unhealthy is wrong. I don't know where they got that idea from, and I don't support it. But whatever water you got in Europe that tasted so much better than the water here would not be of any concern to most Americans. It seems a little out of place in a thread where people were just talking about whether poor people can afford to eat/drink healthy things.

Anybody who claims here that water is unhealthy is wrong. I don't know where they got that idea from, and I don't support it. But whatever water you got in Europe that tasted so much better than the water here would not be of any concern to most Americans. It seems a little out of place in a thread where people were just talking about whether poor people can afford to eat/drink healthy things.

And I'm saying that if they had that here (which they tried to implement) that it could help decrease soda consumption. They had water fountains set up in prime areas here in the city and it didn't seem like the program was that successful because they had water running from fire hydrants and through hoses. I think it was a good idea, but trying to convince someone that that water tastes better than soda... Not happening... You see it is clear to me that in addition to cost, lack of education is clearly another problem and having not one but several folks claim that water is "unhealthy" in this very thread shows the lack of knowledge that is out there.

That sounds like a good idea. Maybe if free water fountains were common, people would have less of an excuse to drink soda. Still, though, I don't see what's wrong with the tap water in NYC. I find that if you filter it, it doesn't taste much different from bottled water.

I don't care for the aftertaste of tap water, but I have drunk filtered water and yes it was okay. No aftertaste, but it is easier to drink bottled water IMO. The thing with the city though is that they're trying to bill tap water as this great alternative which for your average soda drinker is not being sold on. Old habits are hard to break... All of the reasons in this thread that I questioned have been mentioned:

-Like the taste of soda over alternatives

-Cost

-Convenience

-Comfort

-Lack of education about soda and healthier alternatives

In sum the city I think realizes that they need to enact a number of measures if they're going to get folks from drinking so much soda and the quickest way IMO is to have a soda tax. The current proposal is not bad either though because it may inconvenience some folks.

I didn't mean water was unhealthy, I may have phrased it wrong. Water really just keeps your body hydrated, and while that is important, it has no other benifits. Soda obviously isn't better, but it does contain some good things that water is lacking...

I didn't mean water was unhealthy, I may have phrased it wrong. Water really just keeps your body hydrated, and while that is important, it has no other benifits. Soda obviously isn't better, but it does contain some good things that water is lacking...

Like what??

Like what??

Some of the sugars in some sodas, in small amounts are benificial.

Like I said, I'm not praising soda, but it does have a few advantages over plain water. A better soda alternative is tea, or low fat milk.

Anyway, I'm rambling on... but what does the fact that other countries have a high price on soft drinks have to do with anything?

Like I said, I'm not praising soda, but it does have a few advantages over plain water. A better soda alternative is tea, or low fat milk.

Anyway, I'm rambling on... but what does the fact that other countries have a high price on soft drinks have to do with anything?

Well I already mentioned that in several posts in this thread and how it relates to the topic at hand... Clearly you're not paying attention. Before you go one of your rants about how folks aren't staying on topic, maybe you should read the posts more carefully. <_< That goes for the others in here too.

And I also don't see how HFC (high fructose corn syrup) is so beneficial to you when that is usually the type of sodas that folks consume.

Yes, even as I replied to Via Garibaldi 8's post, I understand that he took your post the wrong way. You weren't trying to say that water was bad.

Like I said, I'm not praising soda, but it does have a few advantages over plain water.

Let's not get into an argument about the benefits/problems with soda. They're pretty clear. (Not accusing anyone; just trying to prevent what seems to be coming in our near futures.)

Anyway, I'm a bit surprised that hardly anyone is talking about the motives behind Bloomberg's plan. After all, it really seems like risky politics to limit soda, a drink that is so popular among voters. I'm not listening to anybody who says, "Oh, it's just stupid Bloomberg trying to take over our lives." Maybe he's doing that; people have the right to believe that, but there's clearly a reason behind his plan. Let's consider the economic benefit of fewer people having health problems from drinking too much soda. Fewer people would require medical care, and more people would be able to work. People say that they want to reduce government spending to lower their taxes, but those same people are usually against regulations that could reduce healthcare costs.

I don't know if Bloomberg's plan is such a good way to reduce soda consumption, but doing so is a good idea IMO.

Well I already mentioned that in several posts in this thread and how it relates to the topic at hand... Clearly you're not paying attention. Before you go one of your rants about how folks aren't staying on topic, maybe you should read the posts more carefully. <_< That goes for the others in here too.

I think somebody else here has gone on a lot more rants than ThrexxBus...

Yes, even as I replied to Via Garibaldi 8's post, I understand that he took your post the wrong way. You weren't trying to say that water was bad.

Well I don't understand how he can say that sugar in small amounts (when the source is the typical HFC filled soda) can be good for the body. All it does is give you a temporary energy boost and then you crash shortly after when the sugar is gone. Just goes to my point of a lack of education on the topic. Now sugar from say fruit or some natural source.... That's a different story.

Anyway, I'm a bit surprised that hardly anyone is talking about the motives behind Bloomberg's plan. After all, it really seems like risky politics to limit soda, a drink that is so popular among voters. I'm not listening to anybody who says, "Oh, it's just stupid Bloomberg trying to take over our lives." Maybe he's doing that; people have the right to believe that, but there's clearly a reason behind his plan. Let's consider the economic benefit of fewer people having health problems from drinking too much soda. Fewer people would require medical care, and more people would be able to work. People say that they want to reduce government spending to lower their taxes, but those same people are usually against regulations that could reduce healthcare costs.

I don't know if Bloomberg's plan is such a good way to reduce soda consumption, but doing so is a good idea IMO.

Actually this discussion has been discussed earlier on the thread. If you were truly following the thread you would've seen those posts because I brought up some of the same things that you are now.

Archived