Why is the Lex Ave line express in Brooklyn?

nostalgia

What is "FIND?"

FIND (currently on the BMT/IND R160):

DSC00991.jpg

Strip map (currently on the IRT R142 and (L) R143):

DSC01191.jpg

FIND has the advantage of showing any route the trains itself runs on. The strip maps only show the route of one specific route. The R142s that run on the (6) show a (6) strip map and the (4) show a (4) strip map. Since the (2) and (5) share a yard, often times you'll see a R142 (5) that has (2) strip maps, and vice-versa. Thus, the strip map is rendered useless since the map is fixed, while on FIND you have the ability to choose the route.

FIND (currently on the BMT/IND R160):

DSC00991.jpg

Strip map (currently on the IRT R142 and (L) R143):

DSC01191.jpg

FIND has the advantage of showing any route the trains itself runs on. The strip maps only show the route of one specific route. The R142s that run on the (6) show a (6) strip map and the (4) show a (4) strip map. Since the (2) and (5) share a yard, often times you'll see a R142 (5) that has (2) strip maps, and vice-versa. Thus, the strip map is rendered useless since the map is fixed, while on FIND you have the ability to choose the route.

And therefore, if both lines were under the same management umbrella (not group but the actual supt), swap trains at will to maintain efficiency of service.

Interesting does anybody have a track diagram for the triborough branch/bay ridge LIRR and the (G) subway line. In any case would it be a shock if MTA tried to extend the franklin ave (S) northward to connect to the (G) or even allow a new crosstown via franklin ave to coney island from court sq or simply extend (S) to link with (G) directly that may obliterate the B48's remaining ridership

What

Did

I

Just

Read

What

Did

I

Just

Read

The closest he'll get is either the LIRR track map that was on Richard Greene's page (no longer online) or he'll have to look on Google Earth.

P.S. You're not the only one confused.

• 1 month later...

What's more interesting is probably the question of why the track configurations are like this today. I've glossed over the history of the Brooklyn IRT line and I believe it had to do with the fact that the Lexington line reached Brooklyn first, and a series of plan changes (such as the addition of extra tracks) eventually resulted in a situation where the local tracks were readily available to be connected to something. They were eventually connected to the Clark Street tunnel.

I hate late night (4) runs. All local, extended to New Lots, slow cross over North of Brooklyn Bridge and Atlantic Avenue South bound, entering Franklin Ave and leaving Atlantic Avenue North bound, a 10MPH GT North of 125th Street that really clears around 5 to 7MPH... on the regular, though, the (4) is a great run...

Judging by your rude comment, the (4) does skip Hoyt St all the time. Now if I'm right about this, on the west of the Hoyt St (2)(3) Subway Station there used to be 2 "X" track switches on each side of the subway station. But the MTA removed them and this topic really takes the cake, and for transit advocates, isn't there another way to have the 4 Train stop at Hoyt St. Is it too much to ask for a simple train or two to switch over to another track? That's It! Maybe by planning an All Time G.O service shutdown for a month or two, or we do switch implemention west of Hoyt St during the (1)(2)(3)(4)(5)(6) FASTRACK, we can actually bring back the lost track switches where they belong. Riders of the IRT Eastern Parkway Line will be so happy that they'll love to see the late night (4) Trains stopping at Hoyt St.

Here is your proof:http://www.nycsubway...oklyn-map1.html

There's no need for the 4 to stop at Hoyt at night. That's a dead station at night when the mall is closed and it's very close to Nevins and Borough Hall if somebody near there needs the 4 at that hour. Also, Nevins is a scheduled connection point when Brooklyn is on 20 minute headways. If they had the crossover west of Nevins instead of east, then they wouldn't be able to hold the 2 until the 4 crosses over behind it, which gives customers from east of Franklin a chance to get onto the 2 to the West Side, rather than wait 18 minutes for the next 2.

Next lets hear your plan to have the 4 stop at Clark St as well?

There is no need for this. People on the line are happy to transfer. As a rider of this line last summer since I worked on the West Side of Manhattan and had to come home, and a rider of it now and then it isn't needed. It's a bad idea.

Dunno where you got your info from but I sure as hell ain't happy transferring at Utica Av damn near every time I go into the city

That's actually how the tracks are arranged. The Lexington trains run express and the Seventh Avenue trains run local. If you want the reverse, then there would be a whole lot of switching, and that would be before Atlantic Avenue. So, if there is no Seventh Avenue service in Brooklyn available, Hoyt Street and the (2)(3) Borough Hall station would be closed.

detail-jaydklb.png

I dont think he was asking, "why did the (MTA) all of the sudden change it to be like that", I think he was asking, "why was it originally configured like that"

There is no need for this. People on the line are happy to transfer. As a rider of this line last summer since I worked on the West Side of Manhattan and had to come home, and a rider of it now and then it isn't needed. It's a bad idea.

I dont think they're "happy" to transfer, I think they dont mind to transfer.

The (4) and (5) were first. The (2) and (3) were built after.

Which is what I said already…

^^^

EDIT: which is what ThrexxBus said already:

We've said that, that's why the local tracks are connected to 7th Avenue.

Dunno where you got your info from but I sure as hell ain't happy transferring at Utica Av damn near every time I go into the city

I bet one of the reasons why MTA has never simply added a couple of switches between Utica and Sutter so the (3) can end at Utica and the (4) can go to New Lots full-time is that they know it would mean higher operating costs since the 4 is more frequent. Although I wonder how much of a difference it would make considering the fact that they would cut switchman (relay T/O) jobs at Utica since fewer would be needed due to the fact that the 3 is less frequent.

Then even if the 3 started carrying considerably fewer people they would probably keep the same # of TPH on the line because they know they would have to increase (2) service if they cut (3) service (to keep 7th Ave EXP-Eastern Pkwy LCL service the same) and that would mean running more service between 241 and 135, which they seem to want to avoid at all costs since it is so much extra mileage. Bah! :angry:

Unless they decided to start running trains between 148/145/135/125 and FB only, but that would result in uneven headways on the Eastern Pkwy LCL and Nostrand Ave branch lines and they might not want that...

I bet one of the reasons why MTA has never simply added a couple of switches between Utica and Sutter so the (3) can end at Utica and the (4) can go to New Lots full-time is that they know it would mean higher operating costs since the 4 is more frequent. Although I wonder how much of a difference it would make considering the fact that they would cut switchman (relay T/O) jobs at Utica since fewer would be needed due to the fact that the 3 is less frequent.

Then even if the 3 started carrying considerably fewer people they would probably keep the same # of TPH on the line because they know they would have to increase (2) service if they cut (3) service (to keep 7th Ave EXP-Eastern Pkwy LCL service the same) and that would mean running more service between 241 and 135, which they seem to want to avoid at all costs since it is so much extra mileage. Bah! :angry:

Unless they decided to start running trains between 148/145/135/125 and FB only, but that would result in uneven headways on the Eastern Pkwy LCL and Nostrand Ave branch lines and they might not want that...

If we go by the (F)'s example, I believe some (4) trains would be terminated at Utica Avenue anyway. How many trains can New Lots Avenue turn back in an hour, and how much frequency do they need anyway?

I cannot really comment on whether they would still end some (4) trains at Utica. That might be difficult given the new track geometry I had in mind (http://www.nyctransi...ns/#entry545899). New Lots is probably more capable than Utica since it does not require relays and has a yard behind it. If Utica can turn every (4) train, so can New Lots.

The goal is to marginalize the (3) so that WPR and/or Nostrand can have more service. Weekends this can easily be done, but FB terminal needs to be fixed in order to allow an increase in weekday service on Nostrand. I think WPR runs 26 TPH during rush hours right now; whether it still needs more [West Side] service is unbeknownst to me. But WPR service is not as much of a problem as Nostrand service since they can just send WPR trains to/from a terminal other than FB whenever necessary.

Well I can tell you that NLTS gets VERY backed up between 1600-1730, as you have a ton of put-ins trying to compete with turning 3 trains on the platforms. I've been on trains where we got holding lights at JUNIUS because of the conga line ahead of us......

Anyway, changing around Brooklyn service has been discussed to death, and the final answer is always that things work best the way they are now.

Well I can tell you that NLTS gets VERY backed up between 1600-1730, as you have a ton of put-ins trying to compete with turning 3 trains on the platforms. I've been on trains where we got holding lights at JUNIUS because of the conga line ahead of us......

Anyway, changing around Brooklyn service has been discussed to death, and the final answer is always that things work best the way they are now.

Since I started this thread, I now propose that we END the thread and lock it up.

Archived