Bee Line, Ct. Transit and Northern suburbs bus proposal thread

GreatOne2k

The additional ridership it would generate to the Bee Line system would probably justify the extension.

Having to two full time routes serve the (2) is a moot point. They would both end up carrying even less passengers.

What's the link to that site/map?

Not sure, but I know that the google assistant tells me how long it takes to get home factoring in Bee-Line routes.

If there is any routes needing serious Subway adjustments are the 45 and the 55. Both routes seem to be absent or have very large gaps during the rush hour. The 55 is a farce post 6PM.

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Google search comes up with much of nothing, unfortunately...

You can make a case for some routes here & there, but increasing weekend service on most of Bee Line's routes would be wasteful.....

The #40 normally terminates in Mt. Vernon....

The #1 (no suffix) normally runs up to the city line & it's nothing like NICE turning their inter-county routes into intra-county ones, as buses still serve 242nd (1) & Getty Sq.....

Excessive...

All of what bee line buses? It's only the #42 that runs to 233rd.....

Lol.... How the heck you went from Bee line's 40/42 to Waterbury's 40/42 is beyond me....

Was that done on purpose, or purely co-incidental?

Some bee line bus need extra frequacies(esp Sunday's). Other Bee Line only need uniform consistent headway on weekends.

I last Thursday was coming back from seeing my brother in Stamford and i took the CT-S #11 to Port Chester. ..here's the problem...BL 13departa. Too early i mean it departs befire even the CT Transit arrives Mainstreet and wWestchester aves...if it wasnt forthe considered bbus operator of CTTransit(who by far are better bus ddrivers than the stubbornn Beeline and NNice ) i wouldn't makeit ontime id had to run and to surprisee the bus sstop isnt at the staircases but rather where BL 13 pulls in to drop off sohad to run with ccold weather and a critical scheduling. ..if it wasnt for those folks who were tryingm many metrocard. Ive wouldn'tt make it oin time

Heres the uuncoordinated schedulingg of CT-S #11 and . Beeline 13

CT-S #11 arrives Port Chester at 8:44, 9:44 and 10:43pm

BL 13 leaves Port Chester at 8:45,9:45 (both at a mere 60 second interval) now hhere's the big problem...thr last BL 13 ddepart . Port Chester at 10:40pm while the CT-S #11 arrive . At 10:43-10:46pm ...beeline should just modify itsschedulinn. To make its last three runs depart at :50 and thus have a faircconnection with CT Transit ...

That . Day BL 13 departe . 8:47Pm and arrived Mamaroneck ave at 9:09pm so if a hypothetical BL 13 was to depart at 8:50Pm thrm it would arrive Mamaroneck ave at 9:12pm so a last minutr fair connection with the lastBL 60 to the BBronx

Google search comes up with much of nothing, unfortunately...

Lol.... How the heck you went from Bee line's 40/42 to Waterbury's 40/42 is beyond me....

Was that done on purpose, or purely co-incidental?

If you type in directions from say, White Plains to Tarrytown, it'll tell you to take the BL-13, as opposed to suggesting a backtrack from White Plains-125th-Tarrytown (because at the time, Bee Line wasn't programmed into Google Maps)

And that was purely coincidental lol.

• 4 months later...

On the #91, it always annoyed me how the local version is basically a super-local (the express that leaves 30 minutes behind it actually gets in front of it by the time it hits Haverstraw). So basically, from Haverstraw to Spring Valley, you only have one bus per hour.

I would have the loop through New City become its own route (lets call it #91A for argument's sake). It would run from Spring Valley to New City. Scheduling would be as follows (it doesn't have to be exactly like this, but this is so you get an idea of the spacing of the buses)

:00 #91X (I'll call them that since they're express)

:20 #91

:40 #91A

Basically, the 91X gets the bulk of passengers heading towards Yeager Health Center and Haverstraw, and by skipping Helen Hayes, it saves around another 10 minutes, so it's a half hour ahead of its follower by the time it hits Haverstraw. Then the #91 gets the remaining Yeager Health & Haverstraw passengers as well as the Helen Hayes passengers, and finally the #91A takes the New City passengers.

I was originally thinking of just having the New City branch continue to Haverstraw, but then you have the issue of the #91X trips having to serve Helen Hayes and continue down towards Nyack, which would complicate things a bit, and then I saw that the amount of time added to the New City trips is around 21 minutes, which is around the same time as it takes to get from New City to Spring Valley in the first place.

I would also expand the weekday span of the #91 heading between Spring Valley & Mount Ivy (basically, trips would continue to Spring Valley instead of short-turning at Mount Ivy). Right now it looks like they want any late evening Haverstraw-Spring Valley passengers to take the #91 to the #59 or vice versa.

BTW, where is their depot/garage based out of?

• 1 month later...

I still find it wildly hilarious (or is it upsetting) how much more service underfunded NICE provides compared to (overfunded?) bee-line.

The way I see it is, Bee Line better caters to Westchester County than NICE does for Nassau County....

In terms of politics/the politicos (lol), Westchester strikes me as being more pro-bus than Nassau County....

The way I see it is, Bee Line better caters to Westchester County than NICE does for Nassau County....

In terms of politics/the politicos (lol), Westchester strikes me as being more pro-bus than Nassau County....

Yes, I suppose it is so.

• 9 months later...

They were awarded $3.6 million in USDOT funding for the new articulated buses.

https://hudsonvalleynewsnetwork.com/2018/04/03/nearly-4m-in-fed-funding-to-replace-bee-line-buses/

Nearly $4M in Fed Funding to Replace Bee-Line Buses

By Kathy Welsh April 3, 2018

WASHINGTON, DC – U.S. Senate Minority Leader Charles E. Schumer and U.S. Senator Kirsten Gillibrand today announced a $3,600,000 U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) grant for Westchester County.

The funding will be used to purchase new articulated vehicles and modernize the Bee-Line’s bus fleet.

The senators said this funding will help the Bee-Line replace outdated vehicles.

The Bee-Line Service provides roughly 2.5 million rides to Westchester County residents on a monthly basis and transports over 30 million passengers annually.

According to the county, over 65 percent of residents are within walking distance of a Bee-Line bus route, which provides convenient transportation to those who may not be able to access it otherwise. 

“The Bee-Line is a lifeline for Westchester County residents and this new vital funding will allow them to replace their crumbling fleet and purchase new vehicles, to the benefit of millions of riders across Westchester County and the environment,” said Senator Schumer. “Investing in transportation infrastructure is critical, and I will keep fighting tooth and nail to ensure that the Bee-Line and other transit agencies across New York have the funding needed to update their fleets so that commuters can have a safer, faster and more efficient ride.”

“These federal funds will allow Westchester Country to invest in new, cleaner-running public buses,” said Senator Gillibrand. “This is a major investment for the Bee-Line’s bus fleet that will help strengthen our transportation infrastructure, making service more efficient for commuters while reducing air pollution.”

The Department of Transportation Federal Transit Administration awards capital investment grants for bus and bus-related facilities.  This program finances the acquisition of buses, ancillary equipment, and the construction of bus facilities, like maintenance facilities, garages, storage areas and bus terminals. The funding appropriated for the bus capital program is fully allocated to projects designated by Congress.

Good stuff! I can only imagine they will get a pretty penny for the MAN’s they will age out. For the most part, they were pretty well maintained. 

But I fear they will go low-floor much like the MTA. Get your rides while you can!

• 2 months later...

Considering how long these AN460As have been here, it's a huge relief we're finally (hopefully) getting a new stock of articulated buses. Those Neoplan's have got to go.

Kinda off-topic (but still Bee-Line related), the 32 foot long Orion V's will have to stay though (despite some of them being as old as the AN460As). I imagine there are probably certain routes that cannot physically afford to use any other rolling stock (unless there's enough vans to go around).

1 hour ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Here's an idea: Restructure the #12 to run from Mount Kisco (or better yet the JVM like it used to) to Port Chester via the airport and SUNY Purchase. I believe one of the White Plains shuttles already runs to the airport, no?

Nope. The H (which is like a super express 12 from White Plains) does not serve the airport. It only serves the corporate areas near the route. 

If You restructure the 12 that way though, I would either bring the airlink back, or have a branch of the TZX go straight to the airport from the TransCenter.

22 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Nope. The H (which is like a super express 12 from White Plains) does not serve the airport. It only serves the corporate areas near the route. 

If You restructure the 12 that way though, I would either bring the airlink back, or have a branch of the TZX go straight to the airport from the TransCenter.

That makes sense to have one of those routes cover the airport.

I mean, one of the things that (perhaps) held #12 ridership back a bit was the fact that the MNRR is quicker between Mount Kisco & White Plains. Sending it to Port Chester would give it a more unique ridership base. 

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 9:42 PM, checkmatechamp13 said:

Here's an idea: Restructure the #12 to run from Mount Kisco (or better yet the JVM like it used to) to Port Chester via the airport and SUNY Purchase. I believe one of the White Plains shuttles already runs to the airport, no?

For what you're saying with this, I would run those buses in/out of Rye & have the BL-13 ending at MNRR Port Chester (instead of that running to Playland).... Turning it away from White Plains, your route's going to need all the usage it's going to get (for the same reasons they opted to cut the BL-12 back from JVM & Mt Kisco).... May as well "borrow" that ridership (of ppl. traveling b/w Rye & Port Chester).....

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 10:56 PM, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

TzX has no business going to HPN... It's going to have to be the Airlink.

• 2 months later...

Archived