Bee Line, Ct. Transit and Northern suburbs bus proposal thread

GreatOne2k

Since the Bx9 isn't too delay-prone overnights, why not just extend that to Yonkers? It would be cheaper for Westchester to reimburse NYCT for the extra distance than it would be to run a seperate service. (Then again, it's a fairly short distance that they'd overlap, but still)

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nope. Plus no service all day on Thanksgiving and Christmas Days either.(union contract)

Bee line is semi private bus company i.e similar to amtrak in the county.

It's not really a bus company, it's a county-owned-and-financed bus system but operated by a private company like NICE, except Westchester is smart and doesn't hire a multinational conglomerate to operate it.

Q23 I agree with the the 1/2 only between Downtown Yonkers and 242 St and the #20 getting owl service. However the #60 does not need overnight service. If anything the #7 crosstown between New Rochelle and Dowtown Yonkers needs it much more.

As i stated before Q23 and guys in earlier posts only the #1/2 between Yonkers and 242 St. 7, 20 and maybe the #42 New Rochelle/Mt. Vernon-242 St (2) station needs 24/7 service.

60 can run overnight between The Bronx and New Rochelle

• 1 month later...

60 can run overnight between The Bronx and New Rochelle

That I can agree with, just hourly until the first 5:20 bus goes to White Plains but I just don't think the 60 needs overnight service. The 20 certainly does though I don't know if its because of the Cross County Mall and Macy's.

That I can agree with, just hourly until the first 5:20 bus goes to White Plains but I just don't think the 60 needs overnight service. The 20 certainly does though I don't know if its because of the Cross County Mall and Macy's.

Not to mention Empire City/Formely Yonkers Raceway now having close to 24/7 hours. Just run the #20 at least between Bedford Park and Tuchahoe Rd(alot of motels in that area) overnights. Cross County is closed overnights and really not a great place for a terminal.

Also as much as around the holidays no one wants to work but at least the #20 (along with the #1/2, 4, 7, 13, 25, 42 and 60) should run Thanksgiving and X-Mas at least for few hours between 8am-6pm for instance.

Since this thread is mostly becoming discussion on Late Night improvment, maybe a new thread or title change should occur?

Does bee Line run late nights at all

Bee-Line is not 24/7. The ONLY bus route that operates late is the 20 Bus till about 2AM (Being in the Bx by 2AM)

I disagree with that. I think the 60 could use late night service. When ever I come out of White Plains on the LAST bus to the Bronx on a Weekday, that bus gets full at Martine & Mamaroneck Ave. It does lighting up a bit at North Ave/US1 in New Roch, but then gets some more load at Post Road Plaza in Pelham. That Last bus ending at New Rochelle would still have passengers but forcing them to take a 42 to head to the Bx. The last 60 becomes a 7 to Yonkers as I've witness many times.

If late night service is a must, I'd have the following run late:

1 and/or 2. Make the 1 head up Ardsley Square as the 1C does.

4, 7, 40, 42, 45, 55 All night (40 only up to White Plains or if not Eastchester)

13 from Tarrytown to Port Chester

20 All night to/from White Plains and Bedford Park. I've been on the last 20 to Bedford Park, and by the time it hit Yonkers Ave and the Empire area, that bus was full to the end, I remember few were unable to get on, forced to walk.

60- Mamaroneck RR to/from Fordham Plaza OR Pelham Parkway / US Route 1

Question on late nights:

5 and/or 6. (But you could use the 1/2 and 7 as alternative. 7 via Neppherhan Ave)

14 (At least to Ossining, but via Pleasentville, as replacement for the 15), every 2 hours or so.

Since the Bx9 isn't too delay-prone overnights, why not just extend that to Yonkers? It would be cheaper for Westchester to reimburse NYCT for the extra distance than it would be to run a seperate service. (Then again, it's a fairly short distance that they'd overlap, but still)

People from Lower Yonkers would use the Bx9, because there is no 1 or 2 buses running after Midnight. You could extend the Bx9, it only adds like 10-15min to its current 30-45min late night service. Now if the 1/2 were late birds, then the Bx9 should stick to where it is.

Let me reply as i occasional use Bee Line. There is no need for all night service for any northern county routes i.e #14, 15, 16, etc. There a reason they run usually every hour-two daily. Replies in red. Mark if you been on the #14 you realize you made a incorrect comment. Where the monies to pay for this? Sorry if i sound rude guys but it sounds like you (Mark)only been on the bronx-lower westchester lines.Only a handful need 24/7 service.

Since this thread is mostly becoming discussion on Late Night improvment, maybe a new thread or title change should occur?

Bee-Line is not 24/7. The ONLY bus route that operates late is the 20 Bus till about 2AM (Being in the Bx by 2AM)

I disagree with that. I think the 60 could use late night service. When ever I come out of White Plains on the LAST bus to the Bronx on a Weekday, that bus gets full at Martine & Mamaroneck Ave. It does lighting up a bit at North Ave/US1 in New Roch, but then gets some more load at Post Road Plaza in Pelham. That Last bus ending at New Rochelle would still have passengers but forcing them to take a 42 to head to the Bx. The last 60 becomes a 7 to Yonkers as I've witness many times.

Maybe run until 1230am for the #60. There the New Haven line between New Rochelle and Fordham. Make that run all night.

If late night service is a must, I'd have the following run late:

1 and/or 2. Make the 1 head up Ardsley Square as the 1C does.

To Downtown Yonkers yes. That it.

4, 7, 40, 42, 45, 55 All night (40 only up to White Plains or if not Eastchester)

Of that group only the #7 and maybe the #42 could use all night service. For the #40 let them use the Harlem line between Mount Vernon and White Plains.

13 from Tarrytown to Port Chester

Maybe run it until 1am monday-Saturdays and Midnight sundays. Not enough ridership for overnight service.

20 All night to/from White Plains and Bedford Park. I've been on the last 20 to Bedford Park, and by the time it hit Yonkers Ave and the Empire area, that bus was full to the end, I remember few were unable to get on, forced to walk.

Only one i agree 100%. However in near future i can see Bee Line officals running only between Tuchahoe Rd and Bedford Park though for all night service.

60- Mamaroneck RR to/from Fordham Plaza OR Pelham Parkway / US Route 1

You got the New Haven/Stamford MNRR nearby for a reason. You think Beeline has a unlimited budget? Again run it till 1230am-1am. For all night service between Fordham-New Rochelle tell MTA to create owl MNRR service.

Question on late nights:

5 and/or 6. (But you could use the 1/2 and 7 as alternative. 7 via Neppherhan Ave)

Not enough ridership. North of Yonkers, this is NIMBY country for the #5/6. I do agree they need later service at least until Midnight 6 days a week & 11pm Sundays. (Last bus leaving White Plains)

25 It should run a little later until at latest 1am (weekdays last bus leaving 238th St station)and 1230am weekends. No needed service after that.

14 (At least to Ossining, but via Pleasentville, as replacement for the 15), every 2 hours or so.

You kidding me right Mark (No offense but being honest)? Yes the #14 could run little later until 11pm(last bus leaving white plains weekdays and saturdays)but this is the north county car country. No need for service past that time. I will agree the last few Northbound trips which are short turns to Ossining should be extended to Croton Harmon station though. And Sunday service (last trip from White Plains) runs until 9pm.

People from Lower Yonkers would use the Bx9, because there is no 1 or 2 buses running after Midnight. You could extend the Bx9, it only adds like 10-15min to its current 30-45min late night service. Now if the 1/2 were late birds, then the Bx9 should stick to where it is.

Just have the #1/2 run every hour between Getty Sq between 1-5am and call it a night lol. :lol:

If you were going to reply, then why message me the exact same thing.....?

But going back... I'm a Bee-Line Rider myself... I live near the county, so I do know as well how the system revolves. I may not be a high end rider, and know all of the county, but I do know. Mainly White Plains and below the line I'm good.

And even if Metro-North is accessible, you still have walking to do in most areas. Plus MNCR does not run 24 Hours up and down the line, of course near its terminal its sorta 24.

The 14 I've been on a FEW times. But maybe in my world I feel like everyone could use something, but, mainly I have been on the 14 during PM rush , which it is moderate. Night service, its light, so I guess maybe no 24 is needed.

I KNOW the county doesn't have the money for all this, but I'm just giving in some thought, I know all of this won't happen, maybe something nice would for some routes, but depends. Most of the service is mainly needed in lower Westchester, Below White Plains and Tarrytown, but thats it.

Yeah, you don't need all that many 24/7 routes or routes running too late on bee line.... while noble to suggest, you still have to take into account some of the areas these routes pass through; they'd b*tch about buses running in their areas all hours of the night/early morning.....

Yeah, you don't need all that many 24/7 routes or routes running too late on bee line.... while noble to suggest, you still have to take into account some of the areas these routes pass through; they'd b*tch about buses running in their areas all hours of the night/early morning.....

True they won't just bitch they won't even use it. Most of westchester after 11 pm is DEAD!!!! take MNRR at night if you want to know what I mean. Northern westchester with 24/7 = OVERKILL that area is dead you don't even see cars!!!

Well, the thing is, Bee-Line won't do justice, I talked to many people in Westchester, and I see the graph for overnight Metro-North Service more than overnight Bee-Line Service. Truth is, it's still the Park & Ride deal in Westchester, many people just don't want to walk home from a Bus Stop in Northern Westchester at dark, especially later in the night, I say the same.

Bus has it's good in more dense areas like south of the X-Westchester Expressway (I-287), the W20 and perhaps the W60 can see more service (or the White Plains, New Rochelle and Mount Vernon/Bronx Triangle), perhaps a route from New Roc to Yonkers and maybe down to the (1) @ 242nd would work too.

Otherwise, the Hudson Line area have more car-oriented customer base non-the-less, though I still hope people get to GCT before their last train leaves since I don't want to see more people get sad and shed another tear because they are trapped in Manhattan overnight.

Well, the thing is, Bee-Line won't do justice, I talked to many people in Westchester, and I see the graph for overnight Metro-North Service more than overnight Bee-Line Service. Truth is, it's still the Park & Ride deal in Westchester, many people just don't want to walk home from a Bus Stop in Northern Westchester at dark, especially later in the night, I say the same.

Bus has it's good in more dense areas like south of the X-Westchester Expressway (I-287), the W20 and perhaps the W60 can see more service (or the White Plains, New Rochelle and Mount Vernon/Bronx Triangle), perhaps a route from New Roc to Yonkers and maybe down to the (1) @ 242nd would work too.

Otherwise, the Hudson Line area have more car-oriented customer base non-the-less, though I still hope people get to GCT before their last train leaves since I don't want to see more people get sad and shed another tear because they are trapped in Manhattan overnight.

Thus at very least MNRR should add at least (1) more northbound on all (3) MNRR lines departing at 3am at least on Friday and Saturday Nights as a trial. While those going cross-county in Westchester i.e Yonkers-New Rochelle or White Plains would still be s crewed with only taxi service as an option, most of the riders traveling overnight on mass transit in Westchester are going South-North or vice versa.

Otherwise well said Keystone on your beeline overnight comments.

Thus at very least MNRR should add at least (1) more northbound on all (3) MNRR lines departing at 3am at least on Friday and Saturday Nights as a trial. While those going cross-county in Westchester i.e Yonkers-New Rochelle or White Plains would still be s crewed with only taxi service as an option, most of the riders traveling overnight on mass transit in Westchester are going South-North or vice versa.

Otherwise well said Keystone on your beeline overnight comments.

Pretty much right on the mark, I see more people getting trapped in Manhattan on Friday and Saturday Nights than any other days, as for east <-> west travellers, they could use cabs or their own wheels so pretty much people should be pre-prepared instead of not prepared.

And I really meant to agree with the above statements, but I got tired of reading, bugged out and accidentally replied redundantly, sorry and we move on, lol...

Just throwing it out there, but the MNRR doesn't have overnight service, so you can't use the Harlem Line as an alternative to the #40 (or #20 for that matter). Also, you can't use the MNRR as an alternative for the #60 because it doesn't have overnight service. Yeah, if it did, then there wouldn't be a point, but that's not the case. It's cheaper to run a bus than a train, so for the time being, the route should have overnight service.

In the meantime, I think the 1W should run 24/7 for now, since there's no overnight Hudson Line service. It could make a slight diversion to Tarrytown, and then continue down Route 119, providing overnight service. (Though it looks like there's an OWL service, so I don't know what that's about). Then the #7 should have overnight service, as well as either the #60 or #61 (Remember that they would also provide overnight service along Boston Road in The Bronx).

So, so far, I have the 1W, #7, #20, and #60/61.

I guess since this is about the northern suburbs in general (not just overnight service), I'm wondering if there's anything that can be done with the #5. How much demand is there between both sides of White Plains? How delayed does the route get, since it's long? But then again, there might not be enough ridership to sustain the route east of White Plains, since it looks like mostly suburbia between there and Larchmont. (But maybe there's another route that could cover that section, instead of the #5)

The northern county routes, the 10/11/12/14/15/16?/19 don't need any late night service. Maybe some of the southern county have a better potential. Only northern county route I can see late night service is the 13.

....and the 13 doesn't even need it.

Northern westchester with 24/7 = OVERKILL that area is dead you don't even see cars!!!

LMAO !

I meant Checkmate those near Boston Rd (New Haven line) Broadway(Hudson Line) and Central Ave(Harlem line) can use MNRR services untl the latest between 215am-245am. Then it's about a 2 1/2-3 hour gap until the 1st trains of the new day leaving Manhattan. Thus that what i meant for late evening (not overnight) alternative service.

Still better than say NJ Transit which has the last trains leave NYC by 130am and arrives in nearby NJ stops between Newark and New Brunswick by 230am at lastest.

Just throwing it out there, but the MNRR doesn't have overnight service, so you can't use the Harlem Line as an alternative to the #40 (or #20 for that matter). Also, you can't use the MNRR as an alternative for the #60 because it doesn't have overnight service. Yeah, if it did, then there wouldn't be a point, but that's not the case. It's cheaper to run a bus than a train, so for the time being, the route should have overnight service.

In the meantime, I think the 1W should run 24/7 for now, since there's no overnight Hudson Line service. It could make a slight diversion to Tarrytown, and then continue down Route 119, providing overnight service. (Though it looks like there's an OWL service, so I don't know what that's about). Then the #7 should have overnight service, as well as either the #60 or #61 (Remember that they would also provide overnight service along Boston Road in The Bronx).

So, so far, I have the 1W, #7, #20, and #60/61.

I guess since this is about the northern suburbs in general (not just overnight service), I'm wondering if there's anything that can be done with the #5. How much demand is there between both sides of White Plains? How delayed does the route get, since it's long? But then again, there might not be enough ridership to sustain the route east of White Plains, since it looks like mostly suburbia between there and Larchmont. (But maybe there's another route that could cover that section, instead of the #5)

I meant Checkmate those near Boston Rd (New Haven line) Broadway(Hudson Line) and Central Ave(Harlem line) can use MNRR services untl the latest between 215am-245am. Then it's about a 2 1/2-3 hour gap until the 1st trains of the new day leaving Manhattan. Thus that what i meant for late evening (not overnight) alternative service.

Still better than say NJ Transit which has the last trains leave NYC by 130am and arrives in nearby NJ stops between Newark and New Brunswick by 230am at lastest.

err have you been to NJ? Do you have any idea how DEAD NJ IS AFTER 1 AM? ITS SO DEAD YOU CAN CROSS NJTPK ON FOOT and not get hit by a car!!!!

err have you been to NJ? Do you have any idea how DEAD NJ IS AFTER 1 AM? ITS SO DEAD YOU CAN CROSS NJTPK ON FOOT and not get hit by a car!!!!

Maybe *south* of Interstate 195(near Trenton aka Exit 7 area)you can do it. However north of that 1/2 mark, QJ if you want to cross the NJ Turnpike in say Newark Airport at trucks and cars going 65mph and up, cool to what you said be my guest.! :D Hope you got good life insurance for your family.

Maybe *south* of Interstate 195(near Trenton aka Exit 7 area)you can do it. However north of that 1/2 mark, QJ if you want to cross the NJ Turnpike in say Newark Airport at trucks and cars going 65mph and up, cool to what you said be my guest.! :D Hope you got good life insurance for your family.

It was a joke.

Yeah, it's better than NJT but what's wrong with wanting some overnight service? I mean, at the very least, they should bustitute it up to a certain point (Tarrytown/White Plains/Stamford maybe for the 3 branches).

Archived