Bee Line, Ct. Transit and Northern suburbs bus proposal thread

GreatOne2k

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't know, but what if all 5 and 6 service is truncated to White Plains, and therefore they would focus on the main (or heavier segments) of the route and allocate resources more efficiently there instead of having to think bout overserving the areas past White Plains, in addition to not overserving and have sufficent serve from White Plains to Yonkers. The 5/6 portions to Harrison and Pleasentville (respectively) would become individual routes or become one united bus route from Pleasentville to Harrison. If it's one full bus route, it's new number would be 22, or individual lines, the northern portion is the 22, while the southern portion is the 35.

I don't know, but what if all 5 and 6 service is truncated to White Plains, and therefore they would focus on the main (or heavier segments) of the route and allocate resources more efficiently there instead of having to think bout overserving the areas past White Plains, in addition to not overserving and have sufficent serve from White Plains to Yonkers. The 5/6 portions to Harrison and Pleasentville (respectively) would become individual routes or become one united bus route from Pleasentville to Harrison. If it's one full bus route, it's new number would be 22, or individual lines, the northern portion is the 22, while the southern portion is the 35.

this is a first bee-line does this to avoid running separate routes in those areas. However you bring an interesting point. However they could boost The 21 &17 and then replace the 6&5 past white plains respectively or break up W13 and split with those 2 express lines while as you say create a new 22 doing what you suggest.

• 1 month later...

If you're riding b/w White Plains & Yonkers, bar none, the 5 is quicker than the 6.... In theory, I'd agree with your general assessment when it comes to the 5, the problem however is that the 5 has quite the stint where it almost runs nonstop before it hits rt. 119... You could basically say it's an unofficial express version of the 6 for that purpose (which is why more riders [i find anyway] gunning for 5's to Yonkers out of the WP Transcenter, compared to the 6).... This is why I believe Bee Line uses the 5 to run down to Harrison (even though on a map it looks like one big as 'U' route).....

I'm more inclined to agree with your assessment for the 6 (over the 5) though.... IMO, the 6 should be a route that stops dead in White Plains, since it picks up more between Yonkers & rt. 119.... The 5 short of rt. 119 is basically intra Yonkers usage & Yonkers - White Plains usage, with a couple stragglers along the way... Being that resources isn't as "a-plenty", I suppose they figure they'd maximize mileage per resource, which is why you have the 6 being an alternate to the 15 (which is all it is) to/from Pleasantville.....

To sum it up, I don't have a problem with Bee Line running 5's to Harrison.... The 6 running to Pleasantvile is why (believe it or not) a route like the 1W gets as many (intra-Westchester) pax as it does... I guarantee if the 6 were to be cut back to E.J. Conroy, the 1W would perish..... The MTA would take that savings & run with it... Bee line though, I believe they'd take those resources from such a cut & distribute it elsewhere within the system....

From the Bronx, the demand is hardly for Warburton.... Come to think of it, Bee Line could get away with having trips that would either emanate [from the (1) to White Plains], or from [MNRR Yonkers to White Plains] with the 6.... the Uniontown trips would be served by buses running from MNRR Yonkers only.... For all I care, they can run some number of 63's (which to me, run in excess as it is) up to Pleasantville over the 6 route - and it doesn't have to be every hour either (like the current 6, north of White Plains) .....

Anyway/Finally, a route running from Harrison to Pleasantville via White Plains would end up being a waste of resources; both ends of the route aren't strong/potent enough ridership-wise.... I'd rather keep the 5 as is & have some other route run up the portion north of White Plains on the 6.... But yes, the case for ending 6's at White Plains full time can be made.... The 5 has too few usage between the area past Yonkers, and Elmsford (I guess Saw Mill river rd/rt. 119 is considered)....

Think I said everything I wanted to say here....

If you're riding b/w White Plains & Yonkers, bar none, the 5 is quicker than the 6.... In theory, I'd agree with your general assessment when it comes to the 5, the problem however is that the 5 has quite the stint where it almost runs nonstop before it hits rt. 119... You could basically say it's an unofficial express version of the 6 for that purpose (which is why more riders [i find anyway] gunning for 5's to Yonkers out of the WP Transcenter, compared to the 6).... This is why I believe Bee Line uses the 5 to run down to Harrison (even though on a map it looks like one big as 'U' route).....

I'm more inclined to agree with your assessment for the 6 (over the 5) though.... IMO, the 6 should be a route that stops dead in White Plains, since it picks up more between Yonkers & rt. 119.... The 5 short of rt. 119 is basically intra Yonkers usage & Yonkers - White Plains usage, with a couple stragglers along the way... Being that resources isn't as "a-plenty", I suppose they figure they'd maximize mileage per resource, which is why you have the 6 being an alternate to the 15 (which is all it is) to/from Pleasantville.....

To sum it up, I don't have a problem with Bee Line running 5's to Harrison.... The 6 running to Pleasantvile is why (believe it or not) a route like the 1W gets as many (intra-Westchester) pax as it does... I guarantee if the 6 were to be cut back to E.J. Conroy, the 1W would perish..... The MTA would take that savings & run with it... Bee line though, I believe they'd take those resources from such a cut & distribute it elsewhere within the system....

From the Bronx, the demand is hardly for Warburton.... Come to think of it, Bee Line could get away with having trips that would either emanate [from the (1) to White Plains], or from [MNRR Yonkers to White Plains] with the 6.... the Uniontown trips would be served by buses running from MNRR Yonkers only.... For all I care, they can run some number of 63's (which to me, run in excess as it is) up to Pleasantville over the 6 route - and it doesn't have to be every hour either (like the current 6, north of White Plains) .....

Anyway/Finally, a route running from Harrison to Pleasantville via White Plains would end up being a waste of resources; both ends of the route aren't strong/potent enough ridership-wise.... I'd rather keep the 5 as is & have some other route run up the portion north of White Plains on the 6.... But yes, the case for ending 6's at White Plains full time can be made.... The 5 has too few usage between the area past Yonkers, and Elmsford (I guess Saw Mill river rd/rt. 119 is considered)....

Think I said everything I wanted to say here....

About your 63 suggestion, It could work out during middays (during weekdays, well there would be a weird split of service; the problem is maintain the 63 schedule connection during the late AM periods at Scarsdale. It could be done, but that kinda ruins it (and it's not like you can move around train service either). So there will probably be split 63 buses during certain hours on weekdays. On Weekends, it could run hourly instead of every 70 minutes, with a difference in span. 

On Weekdays, a merge will also give the Scarsdale 63 more service heading to/from the station, since buses are running up and down the section in order to maintain service as it is on the northern portion of the 6 (basically the goal; maintain the service). 

I haven't figured out how it would run on weekends though, all I know there would be a revamp in the schedule.

As for you stating that the 63 runs too frequent during that time, I agree, but my guess for those 20 minute headways is because 66 service is not yet operate in that direction or is too infrequent.

As for the 1W/6, I wouldn't mind such a thing happening, the only thing is that it has to be coordinated with the 1/2 so that it doesn't bunch together with one or the other. 

About your 63 suggestion, It could work out during middays (during weekdays, well there would be a weird split of service; the problem is maintain the 63 schedule connection during the late AM periods at Scarsdale. It could be done, but that kinda ruins it (and it's not like you can move around train service either). So there will probably be split 63 buses during certain hours on weekdays. On Weekends, it could run hourly instead of every 70 minutes, with a difference in span. 

On Weekdays, a merge will also give the Scarsdale 63 more service heading to/from the station, since buses are running up and down the section in order to maintain service as it is on the northern portion of the 6 (basically the goal; maintain the service). 

I haven't figured out how it would run on weekends though, all I know there would be a revamp in the schedule.

As for you stating that the 63 runs too frequent during that time, I agree, but my guess for those 20 minute headways is because 66 service is not yet operate in that direction or is too infrequent.

As for the 1W/6, I wouldn't mind such a thing happening, the only thing is that it has to be coordinated with the 1/2 so that it doesn't bunch together with one or the other. 

To be perfectly honest with you, I didn't look at the schedule of the 63.... I was going on pure observation over a myriad of times having been to WP Transcenter, and would sometimes see two 63's arriving before any 1 of the "horses" would (40's, 60's, 5's, 6's)...  Didn't know that it (the 63) ran every 20, but I do rememeber someone saying back on RD that Scarsdale clamored for more service & got it - however, it wasn't route specific... Which leads me to believe that the town in general got better service.....

In any event, the 63 gets more usage than the 66 in Scarsdale, so it's not a case of the 66 not running then (which implicates that the 66 is the main route up there)..... The 66, once it leaves Scarsdale due west (just short of central park av), is poor.... Even though it runs to Mercy college (or MNRR Dobbs Ferry), I'd go as far as to say that the thing is shunned.... It is the portion b/w Scarsdale (inclusive) & New Roc' transcenter that keeps the 66 afloat....

If they got rid of the 1w for 6's b/w the (1) & E.J. Conroy, I don't think if 2's were to bunch with 6's would be an issue.... Folks w/i Yonkers due southbound are gonna take whatever comes first.... Folks emanating from The Bronx heading short of, or at Getty Sq. would also take whatever comes first.... The difference will be in the usage north of Getty Sq, where the 6 dominates 1 & 2 usage w/i yonkers proper; St. John's hospital has a lot to do with that.... Usage on the 2 wouldn't wane, because the 6 is still coming from White Plains... Matter fact, bus bunching would be less of an issue between the 1(other branches)/2 & the 6, compared to the 1w (and the other 1's branches) & the 2, because the 6 would take more time getting to Yonkers from White plains, compared to the 1w....

I was going to mention this in the thread you started, regarding the march bus changes, but I may as well mention it here.... I see what Bee Line is doing with the 2, and I think it's a good idea.... My thing is, since they're using/operating 2's like what's supposed to be the purpose for the 1 short turns, why don't they just get rid of the 1 (yonkers city line shorties) & simply run em as 2's b/w Getty Square & 242nd st (1) - Unless there's something IDK about as far as usage on those short turns north of Getty Sq....

To be perfectly honest with you, I didn't look at the schedule of the 63.... I was going on pure observation over a myriad of times having been to WP Transcenter, and would sometimes see two 63's arriving before any 1 of the "horses" would (40's, 60's, 5's, 6's)...  Didn't know that it (the 63) ran every 20, but I do rememeber someone saying back on RD that Scarsdale clamored for more service & got it - however, it wasn't route specific... Which leads me to believe that the town in general got better service.....

In any event, the 63 gets more usage than the 66 in Scarsdale, so it's not a case of the 66 not running then (which implicates that the 66 is the main route up there)..... The 66, once it leaves Scarsdale due west (just short of central park av), is poor.... Even though it runs to Mercy college (or MNRR Dobbs Ferry), I'd go as far as to say that the thing is shunned.... It is the portion b/w Scarsdale (inclusive) & New Roc' transcenter that keeps the 66 afloat....

If they got rid of the 1w for 6's b/w the (1) & E.J. Conroy, I don't think if 2's were to bunch with 6's would be an issue.... Folks w/i Yonkers due southbound are gonna take whatever comes first.... Folks emanating from The Bronx heading short of, or at Getty Sq. would also take whatever comes first.... The difference will be in the usage north of Getty Sq, where the 6 dominates 1 & 2 usage w/i yonkers proper; St. John's hospital has a lot to do with that.... Usage on the 2 wouldn't wane, because the 6 is still coming from White Plains... Matter fact, bus bunching would be less of an issue between the 1(other branches)/2 & the 6, compared to the 1w (and the other 1's branches) & the 2, because the 6 would take more time getting to Yonkers from White plains, compared to the 1w....

I was going to mention this in the thread you started, regarding the march bus changes, but I may as well mention it here.... I see what Bee Line is doing with the 2, and I think it's a good idea.... My thing is, since they're using/operating 2's like what's supposed to be the purpose for the 1 short turns, why don't they just get rid of the 1 (yonkers city line shorties) & simply run em as 2's b/w Getty Square & 242nd st (1) - Unless there's something IDK about as far as usage on those short turns north of Getty Sq....

I know that 63's are used more than the 66, the schedule kinda denotes that, and it's routing in Scarsdale (certain trips run along the 64, and 66 route. 63's really span all over that community). Since the 63 can't do anything, there would be a need for more than one service (route-wise, I don't mind the setup in Scarsdale. Service wise, specifically the 63, it can be slightly reduced if there isn't enough ridership when the 63 is running every 15-20 minutes during the rush). 

As for the 1/2/6. I see what you mean with the now.

I would agree with eliminating the 1 short-turns in that case. However, the 1T/1C should be modified in runtime structure, to have an adequate/consistent headway middays (every 60 minute both branches instead of 20 minutes combined). During the weekdays, it would be every 10 minutes (all three branches) in the respective direction (AM to Westchester, PM to the Bronx). So there, the 2 and 6 would be supplements to the 1 (well, have the 6 run during rush hours only).

I know that 63's are used more than the 66, the schedule kinda denotes that, and it's routing in Scarsdale (certain trips run along the 64, and 66 route. 63's really span all over that community). Since the 63 can't do anything, there would be a need for more than one service (route-wise, I don't mind the setup in Scarsdale. Service wise, specifically the 63, it can be slightly reduced if there isn't enough ridership when the 63 is running every 15-20 minutes during the rush). 

As for the 1/2/6. I see what you mean with the now.

I would agree with eliminating the 1 short-turns in that case. However, the 1T/1C should be modified in runtime structure, to have an adequate/consistent headway middays (every 60 minute both branches instead of 20 minutes combined). During the weekdays, it would be every 10 minutes (all three branches) in the respective direction (AM to Westchester, PM to the Bronx). So there, the 2 and 6 would be supplements to the 1 (well, have the 6 run during rush hours only).

You made it sound like the 63 gets the amt. of service that it does, due to some shortcoming of the 66... That's why I said what I did w/ that..

I don't have a problem with the setup either; that had nothing to do the suggestion... I couldn't think of any other plausible route to run up over that part of the 6 (north of WP); 63 doesn't pick up/drop off heavy at the transcenter, but it holds it's own (usually during peak) so to use those resources to run up to Pleasantville (instead of the 6), for what you're mentioning about focusing more on the Yonkers-White Plains portion of the 6, makes sense to me.....

.....Unless you have something else that can run up that part of the 6? Because I can't see a combination of the portions of the 5 (white plains-harrison) & the 6 (white plains-pleasantville) panning out..... I actually think the 63 b/w Scarsdale-Pleasantville (via white plains) would garner more usage throughout the day, which is telling.....

-----------

As far as the 1w/6 bit, yes, some sort of headway combination/configuration would have to be figured out... That much is a given.

There would only be the 1c,1t, and the 1x left of the 1 branches....

See, I've always had a problem w/ the 1T & the 1W running b/w dobbs ferry & rt 119 - The 1T is the only route that should be doing that.

As a routefanner, I happen to like the 1W - but keeping it 100, the thing is used during the pm rush b/w 3's, 5's, & 6's are too crowded out of White Plains (a backup, a hip-pocket route; a "just in case" route... I've always the saw the 1W that way).... Increase service on the 6, and not too many people would wince (except for w/e bronx riders there are b/w dobbs ferry & Yonkers [short of getty sq; meaning along Warburton, etc. - which are in the minority)..... I'm usually against superroutes (which I'll admit I'm doing to the 6), but Bee Line IMO are wastefully using resources on the 1 branches (in general) throughout the day.... They're slowly getting the picture by using 2's as unofficial shorties b/w Yonkers & The Bronx, but that's only part of the picture (as far as wastefulness w/ the 1 overall service is concerned)....

I mean, all one has to do to see what I'm driving at, is note (really any, besides the 1x) the drastic drop in passenger activity at downtown Yonkers on the 1 branches due north.... And how jammed-packed that line is for the 6 at Getty Sq..... This tells me the riders don't want Warburton & they want Broadway (Yonkers' broadway).... This is another reason 2's usage has a significant drop after it turns off Ashburton (although there's a healthy/decent little riderbase at the Tudor Woods apts. itself).....

The 1c... jesus christ this route... middays, this route should not be running - at least north of Ardsley anyway.... Too much f***ing waste b/w Dobbs Ferry/Ardsley & WMC (medical ctr.).... The demand is for Elmsford & of course, the medical college & WMC....

I advocate running 1x's during middays - except they wouldn't use the sprain brook (the peak trips can remain doing that).... After doing the 1c down to rt.119, they'd run nonstop along saw mill, then make its way to Nepperhan, to do the current 1x routing towards the bronx.... So if you're boarding at 119 & need to get to Yonkers, this would be a super express version of the 5 (which isn't the intent, but it can be looked at that way).... This is the opposite of what Bee Line does with one or two of the late night 1c trips back south; where they combine it w/ the 1w west of Saw Mill, heading towards the Bronx....

I may as well say it, Warburton & North Broadway up there is overserved.....

I know this is a lot to digest, so to simplify it a bit:

1 (city line) - gone

1c - midday service truncated to Dobbs Ferry (Ardsley's just going to have to use the 5 & xfer at Getty Sq.)... everything else remains the same....

1t - routing remains the same, would undergo a span expansion....

1w - gone

1x - couple of trips to run middays, express/nonstop portion b/w Elmsford & Ashburton av (Yonkers) via Saw Mill river rd.

(peak service left alone)

I also don't like the way Bee line sacrifices the 1T to run those city line shuttles... If you have to run even more 2's, so be it.

Service to/from Tarrytown should run a little past 6pm... They're basically telling those folks (in so many words) to take the train if you miss a 6 o'clock bus - which is rather ridiculous.....

Yes, Allllll of this is to have the 6 be "the" route in SW Westchester down there, getting to/from White Plains.... Cut the waste w/ the "1's" & give that service where more riders would utilize it!

btw... Nothing would happen to the 3; there would be no point in running 6x trips since there is that demand b/w St Johns hospital & Getty Sq.... See, Bee Line gets away with a service like the 3 because the demand for service b/w rt. 119 & Getty Sq. (not inclusive) along the '1' isn't all that great..... In other words, it would be stupid to run a direct express of the 1w b/w White Plains & Yonkers.... That's where I give Bee Line props....

The Bronx riders (towards the (1))... From Yonkers, they'd have the 1c, 1t, 2, and the 6... Since not all 6's would run to the Bronx, this is where the 2 would pick up the slack..... You use the word supplement, but I would have the 6 complement 1 service (in other words, instead of the 1c/t/w, it would be the the 1c/1t/6 - look at it that way).... The 2 is the route that would supplement 1c/1t/6 service....

....the same way it currently supplements 1c/1t/1w service.

You made it sound like the 63 gets the amt. of service that it does, due to some shortcoming of the 66... That's why I said what I did w/ that..

I don't have a problem with the setup either; that had nothing to do the suggestion... I couldn't think of any other plausible route to run up over that part of the 6 (north of WP); 63 doesn't pick up/drop off heavy at the transcenter, but it holds it's own (usually during peak) so to use those resources to run up to Pleasantville (instead of the 6), for what you're mentioning about focusing more on the Yonkers-White Plains portion of the 6, makes sense to me.....

.....Unless you have something else that can run up that part of the 6? Because I can't see a combination of the portions of the 5 (white plains-harrison) & the 6 (white plains-pleasantville) panning out..... I actually think the 63 b/w Scarsdale-Pleasantville (via white plains) would garner more usage throughout the day, which is telling.....

-----------

As far as the 1w/6 bit, yes, some sort of headway combination/configuration would have to be figured out... That much is a given.

There would only be the 1c,1t, and the 1x left of the 1 branches....

See, I've always had a problem w/ the 1T & the 1W running b/w dobbs ferry & rt 119 - The 1T is the only route that should be doing that.

As a routefanner, I happen to like the 1W - but keeping it 100, the thing is used during the pm rush b/w 3's, 5's, & 6's are too crowded out of White Plains (a backup, a hip-pocket route; a "just in case" route... I've always the saw the 1W that way).... Increase service on the 6, and not too many people would wince (except for w/e bronx riders there are b/w dobbs ferry & Yonkers [short of getty sq; meaning along Warburton, etc. - which are in the minority)..... I'm usually against superroutes (which I'll admit I'm doing to the 6), but Bee Line IMO are wastefully using resources on the 1 branches (in general) throughout the day.... They're slowly getting the picture by using 2's as unofficial shorties b/w Yonkers & The Bronx, but that's only part of the picture (as far as wastefulness w/ the 1 overall service is concerned)....

I mean, all one has to do to see what I'm driving at, is note (really any, besides the 1x) the drastic drop in passenger activity at downtown Yonkers on the 1 branches due north.... And how jammed-packed that line is for the 6 at Getty Sq..... This tells me the riders don't want Warburton & they want Broadway (Yonkers' broadway).... This is another reason 2's usage has a significant drop after it turns off Ashburton (although there's a healthy/decent little riderbase at the Tudor Woods apts. itself).....

The 1c... jesus christ this route... middays, this route should not be running - at least north of Ardsley anyway.... Too much f***ing waste b/w Dobbs Ferry/Ardsley & WMC (medical ctr.).... The demand is for Elmsford & of course, the medical college & WMC....

I advocate running 1x's during middays - except they wouldn't use the sprain brook (the peak trips can remain doing that).... After doing the 1c down to rt.119, they'd run nonstop along saw mill, then make its way to Nepperhan, to do the current 1x routing towards the bronx.... So if you're boarding at 119 & need to get to Yonkers, this would be a super express version of the 5 (which isn't the intent, but it can be looked at that way).... This is the opposite of what Bee Line does with one or two of the late night 1c trips back south; where they combine it w/ the 1w west of Saw Mill, heading towards the Bronx....

I may as well say it, Warburton & North Broadway up there is overserved.....

I know this is a lot to digest, so to simplify it a bit:

1 (city line) - gone

1c - midday service truncated to Dobbs Ferry (Ardsley's just going to have to use the 5 & xfer at Getty Sq.)... everything else remains the same....

1t - routing remains the same, would undergo a span expansion....

1w - gone

1x - couple of trips to run middays, express/nonstop portion b/w Elmsford & Ashburton av (Yonkers) via Saw Mill river rd.

(peak service left alone)

I also don't like the way Bee line sacrifices the 1T to run those city line shuttles... If you have to run even more 2's, so be it.

Service to/from Tarrytown should run a little past 6pm... They're basically telling those folks (in so many words) to take the train if you miss a 6 o'clock bus - which is rather ridiculous.....

Yes, Allllll of this is to have the 6 be "the" route in SW Westchester down there, getting to/from White Plains.... Cut the waste w/ the "1's" & give that service where more riders would utilize it!

btw... Nothing would happen to the 3; there would be no point in running 6x trips since there is that demand b/w St Johns hospital & Getty Sq.... See, Bee Line gets away with a service like the 3 because the demand for service b/w rt. 119 & Getty Sq. (not inclusive) along the '1' isn't all that great..... In other words, it would be stupid to run a direct express of the 1w b/w White Plains & Yonkers.... That's where I give Bee Line props....

The Bronx riders (towards the (1))... From Yonkers, they'd have the 1c, 1t, 2, and the 6... Since not all 6's would run to the Bronx, this is where the 2 would pick up the slack..... You use the word supplement, but I would have the 6 complement 1 service (in other words, instead of the 1c/t/w, it would be the the 1c/1t/6 - look at it that way).... The 2 is the route that would supplement 1c/1t/6 service....

....the same way it currently supplements 1c/1t/1w service.

For the first part, I guess the 63 bus extension to Plesantville would be more beneficial for residents on both parts of (proposed 63 & current 6). Service would be much better place where they are or would remain similar, with the exception of the 63 sections on Saturdays, getting a bus every 60 minutes instead of 70 (and actually connect to the Metro North In Scarsdale without having to wait 30 minutes there). 

As for the 1's itself, I would just keep the 1T if a 6 extension to the bronx was to be made (at least during weekday hours or fulltime), rename that the 1. The 1C can remain during peak periods, at a combined headway of every 15 minutes, since during off peak periods, the 6 will replace it (well, with a transfer to the 5 to points north of 119). The 1 would recieve a service enhancement of every 30 minutes during middays (replacing the lost 1W service). The 1 would essentially run every 30 minutes throughout the day as follows:

7:00 AM-6:00 PM to the Bronx; 7:15 AM-7:15 from the Bronx; 

60 minutes headways start at 6 PM, and run until 10 PM to the Bronx, and from 7:15 to 9:12 PM to Tarrytown

The 6 would receive (more consistent) 15 minute headways rush, and 20 minutes midday, and improvement in the 20/30 it currently has. 

The current 5:20 AM 1 Short-turn would become a 6 trip, and the time would only need to be adjusted by 3 minutes for it to happen. 

The 2 would keep running the similar headways it's been running.

The set-up would be like this

Rush Hours (Reverse Peak):

From Yonkers or the Bronx (not actually completely true, but close to what I'm depicting)

0:00 1C

0:05  6

0:10  2

0:15  The Proposed 1/Current 1T

0:20  6

0:25  2

0:30  1C

0:35  6

0:40  2

0:45  The Proposed 1/ Current 1T & a 6

0:50  6

0:55  2

Middays:

0:00  6

0:10: 2 

0:20 6

0:30 2

0:35 1X

0:40 6

0:45  The Proposed 1/ Current 1T &2X

0:55 2

Early Evenings (up to 9:59):

0:00  2 

0:12  Proposed 1/1T

0:24 2

0:36 6 (last bus on the line up runs only to Dobbs Ferry)

0:48 2

Late Evenings:

All 2's, running at 0:00, 0:15, 0:30, 0:45 on the 10'o clock slot, turns into 30 minute headways from 11:00 until 12:30 AM.

Note 1X & 3 service wasn't accounted in the rush hour, which would give much more service to Broadway.

Also, on another note: Should the 32 exist as it is, or should it be just consolidated with other route or remain with one portion. I feel the Rumsey Road portion should exist, but it should probably be a branch of the 4 (and those specific trips would be extended to Yonkers R.R.

For the first part, I guess the 63 bus extension to Plesantville would be more beneficial for residents on both parts of (proposed 63 & current 6). Service would be much better place where they are or would remain similar, with the exception of the 63 sections on Saturdays, getting a bus every 60 minutes instead of 70 (and actually connect to the Metro North In Scarsdale without having to wait 30 minutes there).

If such a combination (well, an extension) were to occur, that would be the main thing (to connect with MNRR Scarsdale)..... If there's any trip that would so happen to connect at Pleasantville, then that would be a double bonus, so to speak....

As for the 1's itself, I would just keep the 1T if a 6 extension to the bronx was to be made (at least during weekday hours or fulltime), rename that the 1. The 1C can remain during peak periods, at a combined headway of every 15 minutes, since during off peak periods, the 6 will replace it (well, with a transfer to the 5 to points north of 119). The 1 would recieve a service enhancement of every 30 minutes during middays (replacing the lost 1W service). The 1 would essentially run every 30 minutes throughout the day as follows:

7:00 AM-6:00 PM to the Bronx; 7:15 AM-7:15 from the Bronx; 

60 minutes headways start at 6 PM, and run until 10 PM to the Bronx, and from 7:15 to 9:12 PM to Tarrytown

The 6 would receive (more consistent) 15 minute headways rush, and 20 minutes midday, and improvement in the 20/30 it currently has. 

The current 5:20 AM 1 Short-turn would become a 6 trip, and the time would only need to be adjusted by 3 minutes for it to happen. 

The 2 would keep running the similar headways it's been running.

The set-up would be like this

Rush Hours (Reverse Peak):

From Yonkers or the Bronx (not actually completely true, but close to what I'm depicting)

0:00 1C

0:05  6

0:10  2

0:20  6

0:25  2

0:30  1C

0:35  6

0:40  2

0:45  The Proposed 1/ Current 1T & a 6

0:50  6

0:55  2

Middays:

0:00  6

0:10: 2 

0:20 6

0:30 2

0:35 1X

0:40 6

0:45  The Proposed 1/ Current 1T & 2X

0:55 2

Early Evenings (up to 9:59):

0:00  2 

0:12  Proposed 1/1T

0:24 2

0:36 6 (last bus on the line up runs only to Dobbs Ferry)

0:48 2

Late Evenings:

All 2's, running at 0:00, 0:15, 0:30, 0:45 on the 10'o clock slot, turns into 30 minute headways from 11:00 until 12:30 AM.

Note 1X & 3 service wasn't accounted in the rush hour, which would give much more service to Broadway.

Already thought of what you're bringing up with the 1T (middays), but I will say one thing..... Come to think of it though, the 1C I'm talking about that would end in Dobbs Ferry, it may as well be dubbed a short turn of the 1T (I'll give you that).... I wouldn't have service running to Tarrytown middays every 30, so the slight difference in your schedule guideline (the midday one) would be at:

0:15 - would be a 1T running to Tarrytown

0:45 - would be a 1T running to Dobbs Ferry

....But I hope you understand what I'm getting at with the midday 1c & running midday 1x's instead..... My aim with that is for the many folks tryna get back to Yonkers & the Bronx (or the rest of NYC) from WMC (the college & the medical center/complex), having those riders not enduring slow ass rides along the current 1c b/w Elmsford & downtown Yonkers.... The stretch within that stretch (lol) b/w downtown Yonkers & Dobbs Ferry (middays) would be handled with the 1T, or the 6, that's enough service.... I find that's the bulk of the riders taking the 1c middays (people riding to/from the bronx or yonkers from/to at or north of rt. 119), and as I'm sitting there during the ride along with these people for most the ride/route with not much passenger activity in-between, I say to myself, this doesn't make any sense....

Another thing that would be remedied with this, are the people taking 40's to WP transcenter for the 20 for the (4) or w/e (which is very common)..... I'm quite sure those riders would much rather take 1x's to Yonkers to then catch the BL-4 (which we'll talk about later on in this post).... Call me biased, but the 20 simply takes too damn long b/w white plains & Woodlawn (or any of the other 2 stations it serves on the) (4).... I can only imagine the time savings that would be accomplished....

Peak times though, along with the 1x, you can still have the 1c running the current route.... I wouldn't outright get rid of the 1c notation in its totality though (if that was the general idea with that)....

Also, on another note: Should the 32 exist as it is, or should it be just consolidated with other route or remain with one portion. I feel the Rumsey Road portion should exist, but it should probably be a branch of the 4 (and those specific trips would be extended to Yonkers R.R.

The 32's current structure should exist (it's similar to the Bx18 & the old S60 [staten island, not the suffolk one.. lol]; very steep area Nodine Hill is), but the only thing I'd change is having it run with the 8 along Riverdale av....

Yes, the rumsey road portion should exist... but FYI, rumsey rd isn't the bread & butter of the route (if that's what you might have been thinking)... On that "side" of the route, I'd say everything the 32 does b/w [elm st <-> palisade av] and [caryl av] - sans rumsey road, brings in most of the riders it does get..... All rumsey is, is the main road it uses to get the heck out of nodine hill to get to the grittier part of Park Hill (which is everything the 32 does b/w McLean & S. Broadway)....

As for branching parts of the 32 with the 4, forget it.... The BL-4 is not much more than a BL-1 that serves the (4) instead of the (1)... That's how it's used.... Not much usage along S. Broadway (riders take 1's & 2's locally along it, even if a 4 shows up.... the 1's/2 arrive at a higher rate anyway, so that makes sense), McLean usage is sporadic at best, and the 4 will steal some riders from off the 20 at Central Park (av) heading towards the Bronx...

My point? The 4 is basically a downtown Yonkers - Bronx shuttle.... I'd say that represents at least 75% of the route's riders' travel patterns..... Start running 4's up rumsey via Nodine Hill and you will have Bronx riders (as Cait Sith would say) coming at you with pitchforks.... Seriously though, you would easily add at least 10 minutes to the route by doing that, and it would be for naught.... It would also severely overserve that part of Yonkers.

Finally someone I can talk Bee Line with....

I agree with most of the ideas here. The 6 would do great replacing the 1W as the Bronx-White Plains route. I think the 6 could run later in the evening and use more artics if this were the case. And the 63 would do well as a Scarsadle-Pleasantville via White Plains route. Would benefit a lot. I think the 1's to City Line should be extended to Dobbs Ferry at least, with quite a few of them becoming 1T's to Tarrytown. I also agree with cutting back on the 1C's during mid day and replacing them with the 1X's. I think the 1 and 6 would both. benefit from this change.

Another change I would do with the 1X and 3 is change the routing a bit. I would reroute the express section to go via Ashburton Ave/Saw Mill River Rd/Palmer Rd/Central Ave/Sprain Brook Pkwy. It would deal with less traffic and be quicker.

I agree with most of the ideas here. The 6 would do great replacing the 1W as the Bronx-White Plains route. I think the 6 could run later in the evening and use more artics if this were the case. And the 63 would do well as a Scarsadle-Pleasantville via White Plains route. Would benefit a lot. I think the 1's to City Line should be extended to Dobbs Ferry at least, with quite a few of them becoming 1T's to Tarrytown. I also agree with cutting back on the 1C's during mid day and replacing them with the 1X's. I think the 1 and 6 would both. benefit from this change.

Another change I would do with the 1X and 3 is change the routing a bit. I would reroute the express section to go via Ashburton Ave/Saw Mill River Rd/Palmer Rd/Central Ave/Sprain Brook Pkwy. It would deal with less traffic and be quicker.

Only minor problem I have with the 3 is it running to the Purchase Centre....

Generally speaking, I don't particularly like the idea of running buses inside business parks; far too high a percentage of workers or w/e that drive.... Don't get me started with where the first Bronx bound stop is even located inside Purchase Centre, with respect to the offices themselves....

By time the thing gets to Main/Broadway (White Plains) from Purchase, if the thing has more than 5 people on it, it's doing well....

As far as your suggested change, you are on to something though... The Nepperhan --> Tuckahoe routing is slow, you're right....

If such a combination (well, an extension) were to occur, that would be the main thing (to connect with MNRR Scarsdale)..... If there's any trip that would so happen to connect at Pleasantville, then that would be a double bonus, so to speak....

Already thought of what you're bringing up with the 1T (middays), but I will say one thing..... Come to think of it though, the 1C I'm talking about that would end in Dobbs Ferry, it may as well be dubbed a short turn of the 1T (I'll give you that).... I wouldn't have service running to Tarrytown middays every 30, so the slight difference in your schedule guideline (the midday one) would be at:

0:15 - would be a 1T running to Tarrytown

0:45 - would be a 1T running to Dobbs Ferry

....But I hope you understand what I'm getting at with the midday 1c & running midday 1x's instead..... My aim with that is for the many folks tryna get back to Yonkers & the Bronx (or the rest of NYC) from WMC (the college & the medical center/complex), having those riders not enduring slow ass rides along the current 1c b/w Elmsford & downtown Yonkers.... The stretch within that stretch (lol) b/w downtown Yonkers & Dobbs Ferry (middays) would be handled with the 1T, or the 6, that's enough service.... I find that's the bulk of the riders taking the 1c middays (people riding to/from the bronx or yonkers from/to at or north of rt. 119), and as I'm sitting there during the ride along with these people for most the ride/route with not much passenger activity in-between, I say to myself, this doesn't make any sense....

Another thing that would be remedied with this, are the people taking 40's to WP transcenter for the 20 for the (4) or w/e (which is very common)..... I'm quite sure those riders would much rather take 1x's to Yonkers to then catch the BL-4 (which we'll talk about later on in this post).... Call me biased, but the 20 simply takes too damn long b/w white plains & Woodlawn (or any of the other 2 stations it serves on the) (4).... I can only imagine the time savings that would be accomplished....

Peak times though, along with the 1x, you can still have the 1c running the current route.... I wouldn't outright get rid of the 1c notation in its totality though (if that was the general idea with that)....

The 32's current structure should exist (it's similar to the Bx18 & the old S60 [staten island, not the suffolk one.. lol]; very steep area Nodine Hill is), but the only thing I'd change is having it run with the 8 along Riverdale av....

Yes, the rumsey road portion should exist... but FYI, rumsey rd isn't the bread & butter of the route (if that's what you might have been thinking)... On that "side" of the route, I'd say everything the 32 does b/w [elm st <-> palisade av] and [caryl av] - sans rumsey road, brings in most of the riders it does get..... All rumsey is, is the main road it uses to get the heck out of nodine hill to get to the grittier part of Park Hill (which is everything the 32 does b/w McLean & S. Broadway)....

As for branching parts of the 32 with the 4, forget it.... The BL-4 is not much more than a BL-1 that serves the (4) instead of the (1)... That's how it's used.... Not much usage along S. Broadway (riders take 1's & 2's locally along it, even if a 4 shows up.... the 1's/2 arrive at a higher rate anyway, so that makes sense), McLean usage is sporadic at best, and the 4 will steal some riders from off the 20 at Central Park (av) heading towards the Bronx...

My point? The 4 is basically a downtown Yonkers - Bronx shuttle.... I'd say that represents at least 75% of the route's riders' travel patterns..... Start running 4's up rumsey via Nodine Hill and you will have Bronx riders (as Cait Sith would say) coming at you with pitchforks.... Seriously though, you would easily add at least 10 minutes to the route by doing that, and it would be for naught.... It would also severely overserve that part of Yonkers.

Finally someone I can talk Bee Line with....

I guess, the short turns at Dobbs Ferry would also save a bus (from running along the entire route).

I agree, if the 1C gets it's riders from north of 119, to Yonkers and point south, without much ridership in between, it would be beneficial to run the bus as a (modified 1X). Makes things faster for riders, reduces runtime from end to end, and other stuff. The 1T and 6 are definitely enough in the sense to serve that area. I would say the 6 as it is is enough over there (middays at least), but the 1T has no other routing to get to Tarrytown from N Broadway. 

I understand keeping the 1C during peak hours.

As for the 32:

By Rumsey Portion , I should've been more precise and meant that side of the route (west of S. Broadway), and whatever buses would serve that part would be not be served by all 4's, however close to the similar headways it's currently given. 

However, staying on the portion of streamlining it on Riverdale Avenue, I'm on the fence with that. I could possibly agree with streamlining it north of Ludlow, but since it sorta opens up and away from Riverdale Avenue going south, I would maintain the portion south of Ludlow as is. 

Generally speaking, I don't particularly like the idea of running buses inside business parks; far too high a percentage of workers or w/e that drive.... Don't get me started with where the first Bronx bound stop is even located inside Purchase Centre, with respect to the offices themselves....

By time the thing gets to Main/Broadway (White Plains) from Purchase, if the thing has more than 5 people on it, it's doing well....

As far as your suggested change, you are on to something though... The Nepperhan --> Tuckahoe routing is slow, you're right....

I feel that the 12 is parallels or duplicates too many routes, and that's part of the problem. Weekends, it isn't so much of a problem. On weekdays, when you have routes such as the 3 and the Loop (I believe it's H), running in the same general direction and the same trips, I believe it reduces the usefulness of the line during that time period. You have the 3 going towards the offices, and the Loop route in Armonk. However, you would have the bus on Westchester Ave supplementing the 13 and the other buses which run there. You could run the 12 via Anderson Hill (via Manhattanville College) and up to Westchester Airport, then up to Armonk, like that one trip currently does (and on the return trip, run making all stops). The role would be reversed in the afternoon. However, I think that might hurt what little ridership is left. 

I have no idea where the 3 exactly goes into the business parks, and have never been on the 3 over there. But I think the 3 could be truncated to Downtown White Plains only.

I feel that the 12 is parallels or duplicates too many routes, and that's part of the problem. Weekends, it isn't so much of a problem. On weekdays, when you have routes such as the 3 and the Loop (I believe it's H), running in the same general direction and the same trips, I believe it reduces the usefulness of the line during that time period. You have the 3 going towards the offices, and the Loop route in Armonk. However, you would have the bus on Westchester Ave supplementing the 13 and the other buses which run there. You could run the 12 via Anderson Hill (via Manhattanville College) and up to Westchester Airport, then up to Armonk, like that one trip currently does (and on the return trip, run making all stops). The role would be reversed in the afternoon. However, I think that might hurt what little ridership is left. 

I think they should extend the 12 back up to Jefferson Valley.

I have no idea where the 3 exactly goes into the business parks, and have never been on the 3 over there. But I think the 3 could be truncated to Downtown White Plains only.

I think they should extend the 12 back up to Jefferson Valley.

I think the 3 should remain serving the business parks. Isn't that the main purpose of the route.

As for the 12 to Jefferson Valley, I don't think it would be considered, since the cost per rider for that line would increase a lot, and the farebox recovery ratio would be signifcantly less (the section north of Mt. Kisco is what brought the route down in terms of recovery). The cost would increase to only benefit a small portion of riders.

As for the 32:

By Rumsey Portion , I should've been more precise and meant that side of the route (west of S. Broadway), and whatever buses would serve that part would be not be served by all 4's, however close to the similar headways it's currently given. 

However, staying on the portion of streamlining it on Riverdale Avenue, I'm on the fence with that. I could possibly agree with streamlining it north of Ludlow, but since it sorta opens up and away from Riverdale Avenue going south, I would maintain the portion south of Ludlow as is. 

- You mean east of S. Broadway.... Nodine Hill/Park Hill (Rumsey road area) is east of S. Broadway.

- ...except virtually no one uses it on Hawthorne...

Anyone left on (or getting on) the bus at the S. Broadway/Caryl stop that don't get off at Valentine/Riverdale are heading dead to downtown Yonkers... Utilizing Hawthorne is a waste of time; it would easily get/"borrow" (more) usage along Riverdale av, that I can assure you...

Few points:

- The 3 is not utilized well at all past Broadway (White Plains).... The loop routes are actually better utilized east of Broadway!

That tells me those folks (that need the business parks) are primarily coming from off the RR to catch those (loop) buses, instead of coming from off the (1) or Downtown Yonkers on the BL-3.... The wait at the transcenter is for the loop routes, or the 13 for that purpose.... The 3 is not given a second thought past Downtown White Plains; it is seen as the [bronx-Yonkers] to White Plains express, and nothing more....

- What's funny about the 12 & the H up there in Armonk is that the 12 ends at the only business park the H doesn't serve up there... While I don't know how much usage Business Park dr. gets, I can't fathom it being anywhere close to equal, or greater than that of the amt. of people the H gets at the IBM bldg's itself.....

If we're not talking about service to "The Westchester" (mall), the H is more useful than the 12.... Another thing about the H is that it's only 2nd in usage (of the loop routes) to the B (largely due to the post office).....

- At this point, they may as well have the 12 take the Anderson Hill rd routing full time, backtrack to serve the college (Manhattanville), then run back up towards Armonk (of course via SUNY Purchase & the airport).... Or better yet, turn the 12 into a loop route itself (lol), because the 13 got that usage along Westchester av on lock..

It goes inside this complex (the one to the left of college road)

From the right of the map (linked above), it runs up Purchase st, turns left on Manhattanville rd, then that right on college rd, to this Nice layover area

- The last northbound stop is on the corner of Manhattanville rd & college rd (before the turn)...

- The first southbound stop is along Manhattanville rd, at that first road on the right (that leads to the mastercard worldwide bldg.), not too far away from Purchase st.... Which is my gripe.... I can't see a solitary soul that works at the Purchase Centre walking that everyday...

(of course, the timetables don't illustrate any of this)

I think the 3 should remain serving the business parks. Isn't that the main purpose of the route.

Where'd you get that from?

If that's the case, the 3 should have BEEN eliminated.

- You mean east of S. Broadway.... Nodine Hill/Park Hill (Rumsey road area) is east of S. Broadway.

- ...except virtually no one uses it on Hawthorne...

Anyone left on (or getting on) the bus at the S. Broadway/Caryl stop that don't get off at Valentine/Riverdale are heading dead to downtown Yonkers... Utilizing Hawthorne is a waste of time; it would easily get/"borrow" (more) usage along Riverdale av, that I can assure you...

Few points:

- The 3 is not utilized well at all past Broadway (White Plains).... The loop routes are actually better utilized east of Broadway!

That tells me those folks (that need the business parks) are primarily coming from off the RR to catch those (loop) buses, instead of coming from off the (1) or Downtown Yonkers on the BL-3.... The wait at the transcenter is for the loop routes, or the 13 for that purpose.... The 3 is not given a second thought past Downtown White Plains; it is seen as the [bronx-Yonkers] to White Plains express, and nothing more....

- What's funny about the 12 & the H up there in Armonk is that the 12 ends at the only business park the H doesn't serve up there... While I don't know how much usage Business Park dr. gets, I can't fathom it being anywhere close to equal, or greater than that of the amt. of people the H gets at the IBM bldg's itself.....

If we're not talking about service to "The Westchester" (mall), the H is more useful than the 12.... Another thing about the H is that it's only 2nd in usage (of the loop routes) to the B (largely due to the post office).....

- At this point, they may as well have the 12 take the Anderson Hill rd routing full time, backtrack to serve the college (Manhattanville), then run back up towards Armonk (of course via SUNY Purchase & the airport).... Or better yet, turn the 12 into a loop route itself (lol), because the 13 got that usage along Westchester av on lock..

Where'd you get that from?

If that's the case, the 3 should have BEEN eliminated.

32:

Yes, apparently my orientation skills today has not been up to par. (It's East)

If that's the case, then I would agree with sending it on Riverdale Avenue

3:

In Red: If that's the case, then I wonder why don't they have the 3 just run only up to E J Conroy Dr, or have every other bus go to Purchase. The routing and service levels makes it seem as if it was such a route (besides the people who commute from White Plains proper

As for the 12, yeah I do believe buses should run on Anderson Hill during peak periods (or rather, when the 3 is not running in the same direction, just to maintain connectivity during off peak periods), think the three is more than enough on that segment. I was thinking of truncating 12's at the airport rush hours, and have Armonk riders use H's, unless they're coming from other destinations not exclusive from within the city. The H would serve business park drive (it's only one trip regardless, then go back to Armonk, and then go back as a H to White Plains. For riders from Armonk going to White Plains, it would make the ride signifcantly faster, unless most are not going to White Plains (I don't know much about travel patterns out of armonk; you can correct me on that if I'm wrong). The 7:15/7:30 trips would be combined into one trip, for obvious reason, that combo local trip would serve everything including Reckson.

As a recap: 

New 12 Times to Airport from White Plains (via Anderson Hill):

6:20, 7:28, 8:05, 8:35, 9:30, 3:30, 4:30, 5:10, 

New 12 Times to Armonk from White Plains (via Westchester Avenue):

10:30, 11:30, 12:30, 1:30, 2:30, 6:10 

New 12 Times to White Plains from Airport

9:41, 10:41, 11:41, 12:41, 1:41, 2:41, 3:41, 4:10, 5:10, 5:50, 7:11

New 12 Times to White Plains from Armonk

11:30, 12:30, 1:30, 2:30, 3:30, 7:00

Bold denotes PM 

H Buses would replace 12 service during peak periods, and there are some savings in the sense that during peak periods, there isn't any service directly between the airport and Armonk (but the several reverse peak H buses will bring the savings down a bit, or even completely negate it). 

In that setup, you could possibly attract some new riders by having a bus go non-stop to the city (for the train), which would be an improvement over the forever winding 12. The H would basically be a 12 Super Express/Limited/However you want to call it.

Archived