Bee Line, Ct. Transit and Northern suburbs bus proposal thread

GreatOne2k

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Lets make the bus service better.

extend the 78 down to Mt St Vincent to help out the 8.

also, cut out the Central Avenue extension on the 78, replace by extending the 26 to Stew Leonards/Ridge Hill via Bronxville Rd/Tuckahoe Rd.

extend the 4 to Executive Park via North Broadway during rush hours replacing all 6 short turns at Executive Park.

move the 30's terminal to Yonkers RR Station.

• 4 weeks later...

Bee-Line's gotta get their artics set straight.

Today I was on a Getty Square bound 4 in PM rush hour. not an artic and it was jam packed, I mean JAM PACKED. barely any standing room left. I've also seen quite a few 2's throughout the day at many different times that were not artics, with standing room only. While many times on the weekends, artics are on the 2 and virtually empty. Bee line has gotta fix that.

• 1 month later...

Finally a CT Transit thread. ..i have a huge question

Does the PVTA accept transfer from CT Transit 905 and vice versa

Im planning to ride to Springfield Massachusetts via transit and needed to know this very important suggestions. ..

• 3 weeks later...

Perhaps someone who really knows about CT Transit Hartford can evaluate this, but there are some changes I would do to two express bus lines.

902:

Complete Revampment of the Route, there would only be one bus route without branching. The route would be taken out of I-84, and would be routed down CT Fastrak. A stop would be added st Sigourney Street fastrak station. It would then run non-stop, using fastrak. The bus would get off the fastrak busway at Cedar Street station, use Fern Road and Ella Grasso Blvd, and then utilize Route 9 to Corbins Park n- Ride. Service would operate with the same amount of trips as it currently does, and the reroute would take a similar amount of time in runtime, however it will be more reliable in runtime compared to running it on I-84. Service to Farm Springs would be discontinued.

909: 

There would be a 7:41 AM trip from Unionville, arriving Farmington Park-n-Ride at 7:50, UTC at 8:00, Batterson Park-n-Ride at 8:05, Bushnell Park at 8:26 AM, and the Phoenix at 8:35 AM.

A 3:30 PM and 4:32 PM would both be added, via Farm Springs, from CT Convention. They would arrive Goodwin Square at 3:40 and 4:42 PM, UTC at 4:02 PM and 5:04 PM, Farmington Park-n-Ride at 4:12 PM and 5:14 PM, and Unionville at 4:21 and 5:21 PM. 

A 12:20 PM 902/909 Combo trip would operate, leaving Goodwin Square at 12:27 PM, arrive at Corbins at 12:41 PM, at Batterson Park-n-Ride at 12:49 PM, Farmington Park-n-Ride at 1:00 PM, and Unionville at 1:12 PM. The bus would go back to Hartford at 1:20 PM, depart Farmington Park-n-Ride at 1:32 PM, depart Batterson at 1:43 PM, arrive at Corbins at 1:50 PM, arrive Bushnell Park at 2:03 PM, and at the Phoenix at 2:10 PM.

A combo 6:07 PM 902/909 bus would also serve all three areas of the route. It would arrive at Goodwin Square at 6:13 PM, at Corbins at 6:28 PM, Batterson at 6:35 PM, Bypassing UTC and stopping at Farmington Park-n-Ride at 6:46 PM, and Unionville at 6:58 PM.

Thoughts?

Well the 928 bus uses the fastrak from Sigourney station goes non stop to new Britain and from there it goes to I-84 and makes stops in southington Cheshire and finally Waterbury. ..note to self if you wish to transfer to the CT-N (J) at ease (as the 928 makes it to Waterbury late for connection to that same (J) bus) is better to get off at Cheshire

Also for final reference the PVTA does not accept CT Transit transfers. ..now that's a bummer but hey we can't fault them since they fare us a cheap bus fare. ..$1.25 one way is really cheap. ..and one can go from Enfield, CT all the way up to Sunderland, mass. With just $3 bucks...as well as passing to UMASS Amherst

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I for one think that Connecticut has the most cheapest bus fares as well as buses in the country

Recently i went to Connecticut but I went via Long Island took the ferry and from New London I went local to New York taking the following transit agencies in order of the run

* 9 town transit from New London to Madison via Old Saybrook

* CT Transit New Haven (S) and (O) from Madison to Milford via New Haven

* GBT #2 (Coastal Link) from Milford to Norwalk (via Bridge port no disembark)

* CT Transit Stamford #41/11 from Norwalk to Port Chester via Stamford (also no disembark)

* Finally I took the BL 13 to White Plains and Transfer to the BL 60 (in reality this routing was hypothetical since i had to take MNR because the CT-S 11 arrived at 10:50pm ten minutes aftee the LAST BL 13 departed which comes to the point that the 1040pm departure is too early for a last run to go)

• 8 months later...

Didn't feel like this needed it own topic but:

Bee-Line Routes are finally live on Google Maps. Someone finally did the geocaching and added schedules for routes.

It feels like Westchester became less of an unknown land in the far distance.

Great. Now if only that can be done for Suffolk and Dutchess.

Bee-Line Routes are finally live on Google Maps. Someone finally did the geocaching and added schedules for routes.

Now if they would improve the weekend service on most of the Bee Line Routes. The 1 bus only goes to Yonkers on Sunday while the 40 terminates in Mount Vernon. Thats a missed opportunity for potential ridership there. Its basically like NICE bus ending at the city Line...

Now if they would improve the weekend service on most of the Bee Line Routes. The 1 bus only goes to Yonkers on Sunday while the 40 terminates in Mount Vernon. Thats a missed opportunity for potential ridership there. Its basically like NICE bus ending at the city Line...

Yeah, I hate that the 40 ends near the MNRR Station, and doesn't go down to the (2) at 241 Street outside the few rush hour buses. It should operate every day from Wakefield. There's quite a few people who wait for the 42 (and there's probably some that just walk instead). On weekends, during middays and weekends, there would still be a sufficient recovery time.

It's a double-egded sword anyway you slice it. Move the 40's terminus to 241, and the 42 will need to end at 5th Avenue. Service doesn't warrant two routes to service White Plains Road. Also, a full time 241 St bound 40 would probably run along Stevens Avenue, which would create duplication with the 7 and 55.

• 4 weeks later...

* CT Transit Stamford #41/11 from Norwalk to Port Chester via Stamford (also no disembark)

* Finally I took the BL 13 to White Plains and Transfer to the BL 60 (in reality this routing was hypothetical since i had to take MNR because the CT-S 11 arrived at 10:50pm ten minutes aftee the LAST BL 13 departed which comes to the point that the 1040pm departure is too early for a last run to go)

Once again, if the last run of the BL-13 needs to be moved later, it shouldn't be because you need it to complete a fantrip. If there's passengers who need to connect from the CT #11 to the BL-13 to reach White Plains (or Elmsford or Tarrytown), it's one thing. But if it's just so you can cheap out and avoid a MNRR fare down to Fordham, that's no reason to hold up the last bus of the night.

Funny enough, I actually found out about this on Christmas Day.

It's a double-egded sword anyway you slice it. Move the 40's terminus to 241, and the 42 will need to end at 5th Avenue. Service doesn't warrant two routes to service White Plains Road. Also, a full time 241 St bound 40 would probably run along Stevens Avenue, which would create duplication with the 7 and 55.

The additional ridership it would generate to the Bee Line system would probably justify the extension.

In any case, on a CT Transit-related proposal, here's mine:

Eastbound buses in the evening doing the #40/42 route would take Chase Parkway to Highland Avenue instead of running straight down West Main Street, to provide better coverage for the Town Plot neighborhood (people who live on Highland south of I-84 would have an option besides walking all the way to Congress Avenue or Main Street to catch a bus). Since it looks like buses just turn right back around at Harold Leever, it would provide bidirectional service in the form of a loop (so it could drop people off at Chase & Highland coming from Downtown Waterbury)

During the day, #40 buses would be combined with the northern portion of the N1 and run down Highland to Church & Rubber. This would allow all #35 buses to be converted to #36 buses, as the #40 would serve that portion of Highland. The N1 & N2 would then be combined into a single east-west route through Naugatuck (looking at the schedule, it looks like the same driver loops through the N1 & N2 at the same time). This would provide a direct route from Naugatuck to Downtown Waterbury, which serves as an alternative to the infrequent MNRR service.

What's the link to that site/map?

Google search comes up with much of nothing, unfortunately...

You can make a case for some routes here & there, but increasing weekend service on most of Bee Line's routes would be wasteful.....

The #40 normally terminates in Mt. Vernon....

The #1 (no suffix) normally runs up to the city line & it's nothing like NICE turning their inter-county routes into intra-county ones, as buses still serve 242nd (1) & Getty Sq.....

Yeah, I hate that the 40 ends near the MNRR Station, and doesn't go down to the (2) at 241 Street outside the few rush hour buses. It should operate every day from Wakefield. There's quite a few people who wait for the 42 (and there's probably some that just walk instead). On weekends, during middays and weekends, there would still be a sufficient recovery time.

Excessive...

....I believe that the ALL Bee Line bus should just end at 241 St instead of heading down to 233rd St

All of what bee line buses? It's only the #42 that runs to 233rd.....

In any case, on a CT Transit-related proposal, here's mine:

Eastbound buses in the evening doing the #40/42 route would take Chase Parkway to Highland Avenue instead of running straight down West Main Street, to provide better coverage for the Town Plot neighborhood (people who live on Highland south of I-84 would have an option besides walking all the way to Congress Avenue or Main Street to catch a bus). Since it looks like buses just turn right back around at Harold Leever, it would provide bidirectional service in the form of a loop (so it could drop people off at Chase & Highland coming from Downtown Waterbury)

During the day, #40 buses would be combined with the northern portion of the N1 and run down Highland to Church & Rubber. This would allow all #35 buses to be converted to #36 buses, as the #40 would serve that portion of Highland. The N1 & N2 would then be combined into a single east-west route through Naugatuck (looking at the schedule, it looks like the same driver loops through the N1 & N2 at the same time). This would provide a direct route from Naugatuck to Downtown Waterbury, which serves as an alternative to the infrequent MNRR service.

Lol.... How the heck you went from Bee line's 40/42 to Waterbury's 40/42 is beyond me....

Was that done on purpose, or purely co-incidental?

Excessive...

Then with what frequency should those buses go to 241 Street? I've taken the bus on the weekends (mainly Saturday) years ago, I've taken the bus in the present, and I've always seen people from the 40 walk to the 42 on 5th Avenue (plus whatever other riders are there waiting for the 42 that either started from Mount Vernon or from other routes), and it wasn't just a handful of riders. 

Then with what frequency should those buses go to 241 Street? I've taken the bus on the weekends (mainly Saturday) years ago, I've taken the bus in the present, and I've always seen people from the 40 walk to the 42 on 5th Avenue (plus whatever other riders are there waiting for the 42 that either started from Mount Vernon or from other routes), and it wasn't just a handful of riders. 

You're aiming this post at someone that's waited on those notoriously long lines @ 233rd on that same day of the week for the #42 to New Roc' (much better than having to make my way to the (6) to get to the #45, then to have to deal with the houdini act that goes on w/ the #45 on top of it), so I know quite well what the #42 is & how its used..... Regardless, both the #40 & the #42 have the same 15-20 min. headways weekdays more or less; you do not need buses running every 7-10 mins on average b/w the Bronx & Mt. Vernon b/w the 2 routes, and especally not every 15 mins. on average on sundays.....

I'm not questioning if turnover exists that amounts to not being just a handful of riders anyway....

What I am side-eyeing, is this need to have:

a] the #40 (every trip) running to the Bronx 7 days a week, and:

b] the #42 continuing to run to (the same section of) the Bronx - also 7 days a week

That is too ambitious; something is going to have to give there; 40MntVrn is spot on with that.....

Even if the #42 were to be cutback to Mt Vernon (east) to support every single #40 going to the Bronx, you still have to consider the fact that buses are running up to White Plains at minimum..... It's not worth it - And this is coming from someone that abhors the #20 & thinks the 60 is an abomination on 4 wheels getting b/w NYC limits & White Plains (speaking of what's "hated") - and as the same NYC resident that you are, I'm not over the top with suggesting that all these #40's should be running to the Bronx..... I mean, just a little objectivity here......

Personally, I would not add more than 4 or 5 trips total, per day, each way, at absolute random, to the Bronx on the #40.... That is with the #42 left alone.... I'm even hesitant in saying that.

You're aiming this post at someone that's waited on those notoriously long lines @ 233rd on that same day of the week for the #42 to New Roc' (much better than having to make my way to the (6) to get to the #45, then to have to deal with the houdini act that goes on w/ the #45 on top of it), so I know quite well what the #42 is & how its used..... Regardless, both the #40 & the #42 have the same 15-20 min. headways weekdays more or less; you do not need buses running every 7-10 mins on average b/w the Bronx & Mt. Vernon b/w the 2 routes, and especally not every 15 mins. on average on sundays.....

I'm not questioning if turnover exists that amounts to not being just a handful of riders anyway....

What I am side-eyeing, is this need to have:

a] the #40 (every trip) running to the Bronx 7 days a week, and:

b] the #42 continuing to run to (the same section of) the Bronx - also 7 days a week

That is too ambitious; something is going to have to give there; 40MntVrn is spot on with that.....

Even if the #42 were to be cutback to Mt Vernon (east) to support every single #40 going to the Bronx, you still have to consider the fact that buses are running up to White Plains at minimum..... It's not worth it - And this is coming from someone that abhors the #20 & thinks the 60 is an abomination on 4 wheels getting b/w NYC limits & White Plains (speaking of what's "hated") - and as the same NYC resident that you are, I'm not over the top with suggesting that all these #40's should be running to the Bronx..... I mean, just a little objectivity here......

Personally, I would not add more than 4 or 5 trips total, per day, each way, at absolute random, to the Bronx on the #40.... That is with the #42 left alone.... I'm even hesitant in saying that.

I don't know if half of the current 42 service goes to the Bronx while half of the 40 is extended there as to not over saturate that segment with service(except peak periods, where all service runs). However, IDK if that would become confusing.

I wouldn't mind having select trips going to the Bronx at very least. I would even the headways out so there isn't like an abnormal headway. So, during the weekday midday, 5 trips can be added, creating a 90 minute headway. The weekends, it would be 4 trips each, on 3 hour headways.

Archived