NJT proposals/ideas thread 2012-2013

Man, Southern Division is messed up with issues LOL. I thought the North and Central had it bad!

Adding fuel to the fire, unfortunately, is this report for all buses using the Lincoln.

NJ Transit warns customers: Expect overnight delays near Lincoln Tunnel through next fall

Published: Thursday, August 02, 2012, 4:21 PM

10142228.png

NJ Transit riders and commuters who use Route 495 eastbound at Pleasant Avenue in Weehawken should allow for extra travel time as overnight delays are expected. starting next Monday, the agency said today.

Route 495 eastbound will be closed at Pleasant Avenue on Monday, Aug. 6 for repairs and reconstruction will continue through fall 2013. One lane on Route 495 westbound will also be closed to support the eastbound construction.

The project will impact NJ Transit bus riders who travel toward New York City through the Lincoln Tunnel between 10:30 p.m. and 5 a.m. on weekday nights and 11 p.m. and 8 a.m. on weekend nights.

The delays will be caused by the closed lane on Route 495 eastbound and buses will have to travel on local streets in Weehawken to access the inbound Lincoln Tunnel.

Many NJ Transit riders traveling toward or near Weehawken and Union City will experience significant delays due to traffic congestion near the construction zone.

Some bus routes traveling from New York City City to New Jersey during the overnight hours may operate with delays due to buses arriving late to the Port Authority Bus Terminal.

All customers on the affected bus routes are advised to allow for extra travel time getting to and from their destination. Alternate travel options include the NJ Transit rail service during and the PATH service. Customers can visit

www.njtransit.com or www.panynj.gov for NJ Transit rail and PATH schedule information.

The following routes will be effected by the delays:

* 107 Irvington - New York

* 108 Newark - New York

* 111 Jersey Gardens - New York

* 112 Scotch Plains - New York

* 113 Dunellen - New York

* 114/117 Bridgewater - New York

* 115 Rahway - New York

* 116 Perth Amboy - New York

* 121 North Bergen - New York

* 123 Jersey City - Union City - New York

* 124 Secaucus - New York

* 125 Jersey City - Journal Square - New York

* 126 Jersey City - New York

* 127 Ridgefield - Union City - New York

* 129 Secaucus - Union City - New York

* 137 Island Beach State Park - Toms River - New York

* 139 Lakewood - New York

* 144 Elmwood Park - Hackensack - New York

* 154 Fort Lee - Palisades Park - New York

* 156 Englewood Cliffs - New York

* 159 Fort Lee - New York

* 160 Elmwood Park - Wallington - New York

* 161 Paterson - Passaic - New York

* 163 Ridgewood - New York

* 164 Midland Park - New York

* 165T Westwood - New York, Turnpike Express Only

* 166T Cresskill - New York, Turnpike Express Only

* 167 Harrington Park - New York

* 190 Paterson - Rutherford - New York

* 191 Willowbrook - Montclair - New York

* 192 Clifton - New York

* 194 Vernon - Butler - New York

* 195 Willowbrook - Cedar Grove - New York

* 196 Warwick - Ringwood - New York

* 197 Warwick - Wayne - New York

* 198 Wayne - William Paterson - New York

* 199 Clifton - Lyndhurst - New York

* 319 New York - Atlantic City - Wildwood

* 320 Secaucus - New York

* 321 Ridgefield - New York

A number of local NJ Transit bus routes will also be impacted by traffic congestion in the area of the construction project:

* 22/22X North Bergen - Union City - Hoboken

* 84P North Bergen - Jersey City - Journal Square - Park Avenue Service

* 86 Union City - Newport Centre

* 89 North Bergen - Hoboken

For project updates on the Route 495 construction, visit

http://www.panynj.gov/thehelixfix/

Edited by SirJokaPlaya

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Man, Southern Division is messed up with issues LOL. I thought the North and Central had it bad!

when it comes to bus service in S. jersey, they really do get the short end of the stick.... central division, not as much, since you still have some routes that run up to north jersey & NY/PABT...... for the most part, the service levels of intra-central jersey routes are commensurate w/ their usage..... I can't say the same for S. Jersey, especially w/ the some of the 400 routes..... the 550 routes, it's all about the 553 (and even that route isn't adequately served); everything else is secondary.... the 300 routes in S jersey get usage, due to the fact that service on the local routes aren't so hot (great) down there.....

Edited by B35 via Church

when it comes to bus service in S. jersey, they really do get the short end of the stick.... central division, not as much, since you still have some routes that run up to north jersey & NY/PABT...... for the most part, the service levels of intra-central jersey routes are commensurate w/ their usage..... I can't say the same for S. Jersey, especially w/ the some of the 400 routes..... the 550 routes, it's all about the 553 (and even that route isn't adequately served); everything else is secondary.... the 300 routes in S jersey get usage, due to the fact that service on the local routes aren't so hot (great) down there.....

ok so List the routes you believe are underserved and why. I admit my knowledge about SJ service gaps is sorely lacking.

ok so List the routes you believe are underserved and why. I admit my knowledge about SJ service gaps is sorely lacking.

There's no need for a list; I'm talking about that entire region of NJ - South Jersey.

The further south you go, the worse service gets...... Some of the poorest counties in the state & they still get screwed w/ bus service (meaning, families down there have to invest in gettin a car, since there barely any rail service).......

There's no need for a list; I'm talking about that entire region of NJ - South Jersey.

The further south you go, the worse service gets...... Some of the poorest counties in the state & they still get screwed w/ bus service (meaning, families down there have to invest in gettin a car, since there barely any rail service).......

What!!! everything are you sure but the further south the more empty it gets? That is my experience at least. I mean what is on rte 50 in atlantic county? The 459,457,455& 450 do these really warrant more service in general? I know 450&455 need more for PATCO links. The 419 is borderline dead it used to be every 30 mins ppl abandoned it for Riverline. Do you think 413 & Burlink B1 need more service too? 463 & 551 underserved? Does atlantic county need more crosstown north south lines? Ocean I understand. Does southern burlington even need buses?

What!!! everything are you sure but the further south the more empty it gets? That is my experience at least. I mean what is on rte 50 in atlantic county? The 459,457,455& 450 do these really warrant more service in general? I know 450&455 need more for PATCO links. The 419 is borderline dead it used to be every 30 mins ppl abandoned it for Riverline. Do you think 413 & Burlink B1 need more service too? 463 & 551 underserved? Does atlantic county need more crosstown north south lines? Ocean I understand. Does southern burlington even need buses?

QJT, you asked me for a list of routes I think are underserved....

I tell you that the entire region (referring to South Jersey) of the state is underserved & there's no need for a list.... That does not mean I think every route in SJ is underserved.....

The further south you go STATEWIDE (meaning from north... to central... to south jersey), the worse the service gets..... Didn't think I had to sit there & spell that out.....

I never said anything about the more emptier it gets.... Something is seriously wrong when you need a route like the 313 to back up the 408 & 553 in the corresponding areas they serve.... Something is seriously wrong when so many ppl are seeking 553's w/i Millville & Vineland & shunning the 408.... the 410 is not much better.... god help you if you live around the 554.....

My point is, there need to be more routes like the 553 (in structure, I mean) in SJ.... and really, the current network outside of (within) camden county & AC (atlantic city) is broken like hell...... Central jersey suffers from this to an extent too, but the difference is you have the NEC, NJCL, and bus routes that run to PABT or Newark in some fashion running through central jersey - which are used locally w/i central jersey - which are given more service because they run to Newark or NYC....... South jersey doesn't have that luxury (and don't say the 319 b/c it no longer runs locally along rt 9 from AC to PABT), and from what I gather, nor do they have the buses (for more service), unfortunately.....

QJT, you asked me for a list of routes I think are underserved....

I tell you that the entire region (referring to South Jersey) of the state is underserved & there's no need for a list.... That does not mean I think every route in SJ is underserved.....

The further south you go STATEWIDE (meaning from north... to central... to south jersey), the worse the service gets..... Didn't think I had to sit there & spell that out.....

I never said anything about the more emptier it gets.... Something is seriously wrong when you need a route like the 313 to back up the 408 & 553 in the corresponding areas they serve.... Something is seriously wrong when so many ppl are seeking 553's w/i Millville & Vineland & shunning the 408.... the 410 is not much better.... god help you if you live around the 554.....

My point is, there need to be more routes like the 553 (in structure, I mean) in SJ.... and really, the current network outside of (within) camden county & AC (atlantic city) is broken like hell...... Central jersey suffers from this to an extent too, but the difference is you have the NEC, NJCL, and bus routes that run to PABT or Newark in some fashion running through central jersey - which are used locally w/i central jersey - which are given more service because they run to Newark or NYC....... South jersey doesn't have that luxury (and don't say the 319 b/c it no longer runs locally along rt 9 from AC to PABT), and from what I gather, nor do they have the buses (for more service), unfortunately.....

You can take the 316 off the list actually. With that many trips and the amount of people per trip it has to be one of the okay routes. Besides it's the 313/315 express. One thing that irks me is that it's seasonal. Anyone think it should run year round with every other trip on the schedule currently running outside the summer months

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0316.pdf

316 schedule above for reference

Also anyone think there should be a NY-Newark-Camden-Philadelphia Express

It would. Stop at PABT, then several stops in Newark, one obviously at the Penn Station and one on several other intersections, then run non stop to Camden and then make several stops in Philly to the Greyhound bus terminal. Let it be named 301. I'm gonna make a map later for the route. Maybe even have several buses orginate in Newark and several bypass Newark

Edited by Q23 Central Term

OK so I won't hide this time how would these changes help?

All 410 trips travel full route and become full-time express between woodbury and camden while 401 gets upgraded to hourly BUT 468 is deleted to get rid of duplication.

401 becomes full time local with timed links with 410 @ woodbury for faster service.

I ADMIT this is EXPERIMENTAL so be easy on this one fast variant of 553 called 560 Wilmington AC via rte 49 replaces part of 468 timed with DART 301 and other DARTs this line goes through millville and skips vineland replaces 553's 552 service some trips to ocean city limited service. It is normally hourly. with more rush trips.

After salem transit is taken over runs from 553,401&402& some 410 runs will be based out of the pennsville garage reducing DH time.

add 408 service to 30 min some trips either can go super express or time with 401&410 then go to south philly if possible.

554 gets more service to 30 mins at some times with a catch parts of some locals get absorbed b back on that later

Those 410s get an hr of dh time but most drivers get back in 40mins. Pennsville to Bridgeton is 45-50mins. You would still have to pay an hr of dh time. And njt doesnt want us leaving early to get to our start points. If you have an hr you leave with an hr to get to your start point.

No njt bus needs to be in south philly; theres no demend for it besides the 316. Thats why every bus is on market st or at the greyhound bus terminal. The 401 and 410 are the money lines between between woodbury n camden. Just boost the 410 to every 1/2hr between woodbury and camden and every 2hrs to/from bridgeton except ams and pm rush where bridgeton 410s are full. The 12-1 pm 410 buses arriving in upper deerfield average 60-75 ppl.

As for the 408 it just needs to be moved to delsea drive and the 313 to main rd but main rd peeps would throw a fit. And just run every hour all day except rush hours.

Edited by 553 Bridgeton

You can take the 316 off the list actually. With that many trips and the amount of people per trip it has to be one of the okay routes. Besides it's the 313/315 express. One thing that irks me is that it's seasonal. Anyone think it should run year round with every other trip on the schedule currently running outside the summer months

http://www.njtransit...f/bus/T0316.pdf

316 schedule above for reference

Also anyone think there should be a NY-Newark-Camden-Philadelphia Express

It would Stop at PABT, then several stops in Newark, one obviously at the Penn Station and one on several other intersections, then run non stop to Camden and then make several stops in Philly to the Greyhound bus terminal. Let it be named 301. I'm gonna make a map later for the route. Maybe even have several buses orginate in Newark and several bypass Newark

You still on about the 316...

- I don't see what point you're trying to make; take the 316 off what list ?

You are simply using my post as a springboard to vent your issue about that route.....

And no I don't think it should run year round; Cape May & Wildwood isn't near as live during the non-summer months.... How many patrons (commuters) down there are seeking avandale p&r for those connections there, and Philly via S. Philly? The 551 got avandale p&r covered, plus that serves WRTC while the 316 does not.....

- If a NYC/NWK/Camden/Philly route were to be made, I do not think it should be ran by NJT at all..... let megabus or boltbus or one of them type of companies take on that task.....

New proposal from me:

41: Select trips serve Penn Station

130: I said it before, i'll say it again. This route along with the 132/136 needs to be adjusted big time. I'm thinking Englishtown-New York

132: Piscataway-New York

136: Colts Neck-New York

336: Camden-New York via I-295/NJ Turnpike

319: Added stop on Friday/Saturday/Sunday. Cheesequake P&R

Former Metropark loops:

801:Perth Amboy-East Brunswick Mall via Old Bridge/Rt. 35

802:Jersey Avenue Station-Perth Amboy Waterfront

803:Woodbridge Mall-Rahway

804:The Plainfields-Metropark

805:Cranbury-East Brunswick

Edited by Transitkid4608

You still on about the 316...

- I don't see what point you're trying to make; take the 316 off what list ?

You are simply using my post as a springboard to vent your issue about that route.....

And no I don't think it should run year round; Cape May & Wildwood isn't near as live during the non-summer months.... How many patrons (commuters) down there are seeking avandale p&r for those connections there, and Philly via S. Philly? The 551 got avandale p&r covered, plus that serves WRTC while the 316 does not.....

- If a NYC/NWK/Camden/Philly route were to be made, I do not think it should be ran by NJT at all..... let megabus or boltbus or one of them type of companies take on that task.....

I would operate it by NJT under contract with Academy Bus Lines

i have an idea...

extend the Atlantic City Line from 30th Street to Philly Airport

it would be restricted to passengers coming to/from New Jersey

the first terminal stop's platform length would fit a four car train, since SEPTA's airport line trains stop at both ends of the long platform as separate stations.

Amtrak used to have this service for a very limited time, but that was funded through an airline called Midway

fare from Airport to Atlantic City would be $17 one way, $30 round trip valid for 10 days similar to the 551/319's round trip discount policy

Edited by mfs NJT459

New proposal from me:

41: Select trips serve Penn Station

130: I said it before, i'll say it again. This route along with the 132/136 needs to be adjusted big time. I'm thinking Englishtown-New York

132: Piscataway-New York

136: Colts Neck-New York

336: Camden-New York via I-295/NJ Turnpike

319: Added stop on Friday/Saturday/Sunday. Cheesequake P&R

Former Metropark loops:

801:Perth Amboy-East Brunswick Mall via Old Bridge/Rt. 35

802:Jersey Avenue Station-Perth Amboy Waterfront

803:Woodbridge Mall-Rahway

804:The Plainfields-Metropark

805:Cranbury-East Brunswick

do you know what MCAT is? visit kmm.org those routes already exist most of what you proposed.

i have an idea...

extend the Atlantic City Line from 30th Street to Philly Airport

it would be restricted to passengers coming to/from New Jersey

the first terminal stop's platform length would fit a four car train, since SEPTA's airport line trains stop at both ends of the long platform as separate stations.

Amtrak used to have this service for a very limited time, but that was funded through an airline called Midway

fare from Airport to Atlantic City would be $17 one way, $30 round trip valid for 10 days similar to the 551/319's round trip discount policy

You do realize SEPTA's airport line is every 30 mins off peak from center city to the airport thus rendering your proposal costly and redundant. Just sayin.

ohh I however will get a bit gutsy so watch my posts 834 via GSP and devour OC3 or to lavalette via wall. I am not sure on it yet to be honest.

You do realize SEPTA's airport line is every 30 mins off peak from center city to the airport thus rendering your proposal costly and redundant. Just sayin.

I said no passengers would allowed to take NJT from 30th Street to the airport... this would provide a one-seat ride from the New Jersey AC line stations to the airport. This service would bypass University City and Eastwick stations.

It would be beneficial not only to people flying to PHL then continue to AC via train, but also for New Jersey residents.

I just found out that SEPTA is doing construction along the Airport Line, starting in September... i hope this means double track the entire length from NEC to the airport, or it could be Eastwick station is being renovated.

http://septa.org/sch...re/air-2012.pdf

Edited by mfs NJT459

do you know what MCAT is? visit kmm.org those routes already exist most of what you proposed.

Yes, I know what MCAT is, I live in Middlesex County. MCAT is basically Middlsex County's version of the Jersey City Jitneys. Its for those who prefer a community shuttle over an NJ Transit bus. I dont use MCAT because I for one prefer to ride NJ Transit instead(Plus MCAT never runs so...yeah). IMO I think MCAT is the reason the 800 routes in Middlesex lose ridership, for some reason I think the approaching acquirement of NABIs might bring the 800 ridership up a little bit.

I forgot to add something in my 801 proposal. Its also going to serve the Cliffwood Beach neighborhood (also on route 35).

EDIT: Also, I really think NJT needs to improve service south of Newark. I'm not just talking about Central Jersey, I'm talking about South Jersey too. As B35 mentioned earlier, the service gets worse as you go south. I mean people from South Jersey have to drive 2/1/2 hours to voice their complaints on a bus route near them. Sometimes, I think NJT is keeping Middlesex & South out of the loop because they aren't as close to NYC as Newark and Jersey City are. NJT might as well just build a South Jersey HQ and a Central Jersey HQ to deal with the bus routes in those areas. Plus, there is so much unclaimed space in these underserved areas that NJT could build new garages and bus terminals on. There's a vacant lot in Cliffwood thats next to the NJCL. You could build a bus/train transfer there.

Here's what I'm talkin about:

CliffwoodPropsoal-1.png

Edited by Transitkid4608

EDIT: Also, I really think NJT needs to improve service south of Newark. I'm not just talking about Central Jersey, I'm talking about South Jersey too. As B35 mentioned earlier, the service gets worse as you go south. I mean people from South Jersey have to drive 2/1/2 hours to voice their complaints on a bus route near them. Sometimes, I think NJT is keeping Middlesex & South out of the loop because they aren't as close to NYC as Newark and Jersey City are. NJT might as well just build a South Jersey HQ and a Central Jersey HQ to deal with the bus routes in those areas.

There already is a South Jersey HQ, its at Newton Ave. They even communicate with the Egg Harbor buses via radio

Fine I will show this 459 gets streamlined in voorhess then, via evesham and berlin to either marlton for rte 541 all the way to burlington Or via SJ regional airport to rte 541. 459 replaces 413 between mt holly and burlington and gains 30 min service to meet riverline trains if the casino is that big a destination it can go there via I-95 & street road but I don't even know about that.

Edited by qjtransitmaster

Fine I will show you. 459 gets streamlined in voorhess, then via evesham and berlin to either

marlton for rte 541 all the way to burlington , or via SJ regional airport to rte 541. 459 replaces 413 between Mt. holly and Burlington and gains 30 min. service to meet the riverine

I fixed your mistakes