NJT proposals/ideas thread 2012-2013

Actually, I mean a place where the public can go to hearings without having to drive to Newark

They did have those 2010 budget cut hearings in the city of Camden... The hearings for the new BRT on Rt 42, Rt 55, I-676 were held at Camden County College

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Former Metropark loops:

801:Perth Amboy-East Brunswick Mall via Old Bridge/Rt. 35

802:Jersey Avenue Station-Perth Amboy Waterfront

803:Woodbridge Mall-Rahway

804:The Plainfields-Metropark

805:Cranbury-East Brunswick

I like these ideas, especially the one of a route connecting the areas around the RVL to areas around the NEC..... I thought about one route connecting Rahway, Woodbridge mall, Metropark, and Plainfield, but didn't know exactly how to route it; which routing would work best (in lieu of splitting the 62).....

also like the fact that you're making more use out of the loop routes.... 5 separate AM/PM loop routes to one rail station a bit much......

ohh I however will get a bit gutsy so watch my posts 834 via GSP and devour OC3 or to lavalette via wall. I am not sure on it yet to be honest.

Lavallette?

That would be a RIDICULOUS waste of mileage.....

Yes, I know what MCAT is, I live in Middlesex County. MCAT is basically Middlsex County's version of the Jersey City Jitneys. Its for those who prefer a community shuttle over an NJ Transit bus.

Exactly how I view those community/township/county based bus services.... There is a perceived sense of greater safety by the ppl. who use those services, since they're not all that predisposed to (how can I put this) other patrons that aren't (in this case) folks from Middlesex county......

A little off-topic, but I've always thought there should be a route from New Brunswick to the Bound Brook area, but the problem is that there's be too much dead milage (and if it ran along Easton Avenue, the whole western part of Somerset would be left with nothing). I know there's some kind of Somerset-New Brunswick route, but I was just thinking it'd be nice if it connected to the RVL.

A little off-topic, but I've always thought there should be a route from New Brunswick to the Bound Brook area, but the problem is that there's be too much dead milage (and if it ran along Easton Avenue, the whole western part of Somerset would be left with nothing). I know there's some kind of Somerset-New Brunswick route, but I was just thinking it'd be nice if it connected to the RVL.

what is that up there, SCOOT, or DASH, one of those services (you're referring to)....

QJT is good w/ knowing about those community based services....

If I were to connect New Brunswick to that particular part of the state, it would be a route running through Somerville/bridgewater commons, Bound Brook, Piscataway via the Rutgers campus' & those corporate bldgs out there, and down through Edison..... instead of directly b/w New Brunswick & Bound Brook; you're not gonna attract too many riders....

whichever one it is, scoot or dash, I know those are only AM/PM peak type routes.... they're not full day services...

what is that up there, SCOOT, or DASH, one of those services (you're referring to)....

If I were to connect New Brunswick to that particular part of the state, it would be a route running through Somerville/bridgewater commons, Bound Brook, Piscataway via the Rutgers campus' & those corporate bldgs out there, and down through Edison..... instead of directly b/w New Brunswick & Bound Brook; you're not gonna attract too many riders....

whichever one it is, scoot or dash, I know those are only AM/PM peak type routes.... they're not full day services...

Yes checkmate a service like that exists in the form of 2 useless shuttles bound brook to business parks on davidson ave called SCOOT R1 OR R2 the other to new brunswick called DASH. In reality I am gonna correct you B35 these community shuttles ALL serve areas with ZERO NJT service they are well at least what they want you to think meant to link sparse areas to NJT rail stations and NJT buses ALL are funded by NJT THEMSELVES!!!! Plus in my experience of using them they are not just for ppl that prefer a community shuttle actually many ppl prefer NJT But NJT is too cheap and doesn't want these small rural routes so NJT funds these stupid things and makes the county run them in reality MCAT is useless except M7&M4 jersey ave shuttle. To be honest I think MCAT is a poor excuse for NJT to get away from having to give central NJ real service their schedules are shit heck M6 is better off merged with NJT 600.

Plus I would extend 986 to N brunswick to eliminate DH milage completely as its based out of N BRUNSWICK. It will replace 980 via 4th street meeting RVL trains from bound brook allowing piscataway access. I have a way with a line to complete em.

In reality I am gonna correct you B35 these community shuttles ALL serve areas with ZERO NJT service they are well at least what they want you to think meant to link sparse areas to NJT rail stations and NJT buses ALL are funded by NJT THEMSELVES!!!!

Plus in my experience of using them they are not just for ppl that prefer a community shuttle actually many ppl prefer NJT But NJT is too cheap and doesn't want these small rural routes so NJT funds these stupid things and makes the county run them in reality MCAT is useless except M7&M4 jersey ave shuttle. To be honest I think MCAT is a poor excuse for NJT to get away from having to give central NJ real service their schedules are shit heck M6 is better off merged with NJT 600.

Plus I would extend 986 to N brunswick to eliminate DH milage completely as its based out of N BRUNSWICK. It will replace 980 via 4th street meeting RVL trains from bound brook allowing piscataway access. I have a way with a line to complete em.

The community shuttles serving dead spots NJT doesn't serve, is obvious..... Yeah it's an excuse for the statewide transportation agency for not having to serve said areas; same shit down in ocean county with your favorite transportation service (aka OceanRide..... lmao !!)

I've never used MCAT & have no desire to... I'm w/ TransitKid, I'm riding the proven transit service (NJT) over these community shuttles & jitneys every single time..... Same way I choose to ride MTA's buses over NYAS, those chinatown buses, and any other private bus services that may exist in this city.....

The people that use MCAT wanting NJT (but can't b/c they have no choice) is not being disputed.... I'm saying there are people that ride those things b/c they don't want to step foot on public transportation... In other words, I'm referring to those that would still take MCAT, even if said areas were served by NJT adequately..... Of course MCAT isn't just for those folks.....

At least OceanRide has some RTSs that aren't owned by NJT and actually have some decent specs IIRC (Detroit/Allison or at least one of the two, again IIRC).

I personally don't like the idea of statewide public transit, after all NJT is the only statewide transit system in the nation. I like how some counties are trying to start up their own systems, they just got to improve on them. Look at Somerset, they got Millennium RTSs up there, so obviously they found that there was enough ridership for 40-foot buses to be used (I never rode their system so I don't know how their ridership is). Plus, with individual counties (or multiple counties forming a regional MTA-like system) running their own buses, there'd actually be variety in the bus fleets throughout the state, not everything would be NABI or whatever NJT orders, but that's just from a busfan's perspective.

However you are off about ppl in NJ that won't set foot on public transit if they won't use public transit what makes you think they would be caught dead on MCAT?? Or even worse Ocean ride?

Are you kidding me....

If you don't think there's a negative stigma that exists with public transportation, you seriously need to open your eyes to the world around you..... It's already been explained why those people (no matter how rare they are or might be) "would be caught dead" on MCAT, OceanRide, etc..... Like I said, there is a familiarity factor that exists with those little services; you don't get near as many quote-unquote outsiders on those services as you do w/ public transportation....

For the people that don't want to take public transportation (because I have to spell that out to you)

Taking a community-based bus service is the next best thing if you don't have a (or choose not to use your) personal vehicle......

I like how some counties are trying to start up their own systems, they just got to improve on them.

That's the problem.... the counties aren't gonna provide the same (or similar) amount of levels of daily service that patrons w/i w/e county really & truly deserve, due to monetary reasons....

Edited by B35 via Church

Are you kidding me....

If you don't think there's a negative stigma that exists with public transportation, you seriously need to open your eyes to the world around you..... It's already been explained why those people (no matter how rare they are or might be) "would be caught dead" on MCAT, OceanRide, etc..... Like I said, there is a familiarity factor that exists with those little services; you don't get near as many quote-unquote outsiders on those services as you do w/ public transportation....

For the people that don't want to take public transportation (because I have to spell that out to you)

Taking a community-based bus service is the next best thing if you don't have a (or choose not to use your) personal vehicle......

That's the problem.... the counties aren't gonna provide the same (or similar) amount of levels of daily service that patrons w/i w/e county really & truly deserve, due to monetary reasons....

I never said there wasn't any negative stigma to public transit you know ridership on those lines aren't exactly booming Oceanride runs 3 times a week. MCAT actually goes monday through saturday and is a waste of money. Have you used these shuttles? Edited by qjtransitmaster

At least OceanRide has some RTSs that aren't owned by NJT and actually have some decent specs IIRC (Detroit/Allison or at least one of the two, again IIRC).

I personally don't like the idea of statewide public transit, after all NJT is the only statewide transit system in the nation. I like how some counties are trying to start up their own systems, they just got to improve on them. Look at Somerset, they got Millennium RTSs up there, so obviously they found that there was enough ridership for 40-foot buses to be used (I never rode their system so I don't know how their ridership is). Plus, with individual counties (or multiple counties forming a regional MTA-like system) running their own buses, there'd actually be variety in the bus fleets throughout the state, not everything would be NABI or whatever NJT orders, but that's just from a busfan's perspective.

You do realize ALL countywide bus services in NJ are funded by NEW JERSEY TRANSIT!!!!!!!!!!! Read the fine print on the schedules. You can not escape NJT you never will. B35 is right the counties will not improve those services to acceptable levels as they run based on funding they get from NJT. However NJT is not the only statewide operation DART first state is another and the broken CTTransit yes county services in CT are in fact indirectly controlled by you guessed it CTTRANSIT.

One more thing NJT's 600 series 700 series and 800 series except MCM were former countywide services operated by the individual counties themselves before they backfired and NJT came to the rescue via takeover. Burlink lines are administered by NJT every form of transit in New jersey runs through NJT first it is impossible to sidestep them. Counties aren't going back to that except ones that never had service to begin with guess what sussex transit and cape may fare free is funded by drum roll please New Jersey Transit. I am willing to bet that 100% of those RTS vehicles are used exclusively on the toms river connection the only Ocean Ride route that ppl can actually use. The only line that doesn't run like an atrocity and funded by NJT. Just saying based on the facts carry on.

Edited by qjtransitmaster

I never said there wasn't any negative stigma to public transit you know ridership on those lines aren't exactly booming Oceanride runs 3 times a week. MCAT actually goes monday through saturday and is a waste of money. Have you used these shuttles?

Do you have selective memory or something?

You asked what would make me think the same people that wouldn't ride public transportation would ride MCAT & OceanRide....

In case that last post of mine didn't register through to you, That was my answer to your little question.....

I just sat up there & said I've never used the things.....

Please read my posts before responding emotionally..... Thank you.

Edited by B35 via Church

Do you have selective memory or something?

You asked what would make me think the same people that wouldn't ride public transportation would ride MCAT & OceanRide....

In case that last post of mine didn't register through to you, That was my answer to your little question.....

I just sat up there & said I've never used the things.....

Please read my posts before responding emotionally..... Thank you.

Sorry if it came out that way actually I didn't mean to sound emotional just sayin. I actually used them what you think is not the same as what goes on many riders are seniors and ppl who have no transit access I have not seen a single person that doesn't like or has a stigma of public transit use these shuttles at least the SCOOT and MCAT. You are entitled to your views and I respect you greatly for it peace man. Edited by qjtransitmaster

I have not seen a single person that doesn't like or has a stigma of public transit use these shuttles at least the SCOOT and MCAT.

Oh I know seniors tend to use those little community shuttles/routes moreso than younger & middle-aged commuters themselves.... That's not news to me.....

You may know more about these small little services, but I don't think you realize how a lot of suburbanites themselves (in general) really think..... Matter fact, the naivete is showing in that single statement of yours..... lol, you may not have seen it, but the attitude is there.... I'm sure TransitKid (who lives out there) would share similar sentiments regarding the ppl. that ride those things..... They are not all gung-ho about NJT.....

...hell, ask those same seniors would they take a regular NJT route if it ran in their area, if SCOOT and MCAT still ran in their area ! And notice their body language as they answer.... if they even answer you at all....

Edited by B35 via Church

Oh I know seniors tend to use those little community shuttles/routes moreso than younger & middle-aged commuters themselves.... That's not news to me.....

You may know more about these small little services, but I don't think you realize how a lot of suburbanites themselves (in general) really think..... Matter fact, the naivete is showing in that single statement of yours..... lol, you may not have seen it, but the attitude is there.... I'm sure TransitKid (who lives out there) would share similar sentiments regarding the ppl. that ride those things..... They are not all gung-ho about NJT.....

...hell, ask those same seniors would they take a regular NJT route if it ran in their area, if SCOOT and MCAT still ran in their area ! And notice their body language as they answer.... if they even answer you at all....

Interesting I may gather more data about how NJT funds em

Yeah, it's DASH. The route has a lot of branches, so I can't tell if those are branches or diversions. It looks weird because it actually looks like it connects Bridgewater Commons with New Brunswick (and then continues to New Brunswick Middle School on Livingston Avenue), but the description is just the "Davidson Avenue Shuttle" b/w South Bound Brook & Bound Brook. SCOOT seems to have 2 routes to Hillsborough.

On a side note, I think the Hamilton Street area in Somerset could use some kind of service, if it's not shown on the map.

....The route has a lot of branches, so I can't tell if those are branches or diversions. It looks weird because it actually looks like it connects Bridgewater Commons with New Brunswick (and then continues to New Brunswick Middle School on Livingston Avenue), but the description is just the "Davidson Avenue Shuttle" b/w South Bound Brook & Bound Brook. SCOOT seems to have 2 routes to Hillsborough.

On a side note, I think the Hamilton Street area in Somerset could use some kind of service, if it's not shown on the map.

- little from column a, little from column b (regarding branches & diversions on the DASH route).....

http://www.co.somerset.nj.us/transpdf/Dash%202.pdf

- I agree with you on CR 514 in New Brunswick.... problem is, where you send the service on the other end ?

(in other words, from downtown New Brunswick, along 514, to where)

You're right. Plus most people don't use MCAT because you have to sign up for it, you can't just hop on an MCAT bus. I''m pretty sure that a 70 year-old man would prefer to take a NABI or an RTS than one of those poorly maintained shuttle buses. Take it from someone who's been on a Jitney before. Mine wasn't in Middlesex County however, it was in Jersey City. And it wasn't a good ride either. This guy stopped at every corner and the seats were just foam covered in thin sheets. When I got off that thing in the PABT, I vowed to never set foot on one of those things again.

- little from column a, little from column b (regarding branches & diversions on the DASH route).....

http://www.co.somers...spdf/Dash 2.pdf

- I agree with you on CR 514 in New Brunswick.... problem is, where you send the service on the other end ?

I see. So basically it was just an office park shuttle.

As far as the route, it looks like the only real way to do it is as a loop. So Hamilton-DeMott-Easton. (Or maybe down JFK instead of DeMott, since it's a little more centralized). The only other way would be to extend one of the routes that ends at New Brunswick, and just have it terminate somewhere in Somerset (say, Hamilton & JFK)

The thing that sucks about that area is that it's like pure suburbia, and there doesn't seem to be any main road that serves the residential areas well. I mean, in Somerset, you're forcing riders to walk all the way to Easton Avenue, or all the way to Hamilton Street if they live in the middle. The same thing in Piscataway. I mean, even if you weren't concerned with serving those particular areas, if you wanted to connect to larger towns (in this case, Bound Brook & New Brunswick), you end up with a ton of dead milage.

Edited by checkmatechamp13

You're right. Plus most people don't use MCAT because you have to sign up for it, you can't just hop on an MCAT bus. I''m pretty sure that a 70 year-old man would prefer to take a NABI or an RTS than one of those poorly maintained shuttle buses. Take it from someone who's been on a Jitney before. Mine wasn't in Middlesex County however, it was in Jersey City. And it wasn't a good ride either. This guy stopped at every corner and the seats were just foam covered in thin sheets. When I got off that thing in the PABT, I vowed to never set foot on one of those things again.

Inaccurate you have to sign up for MCAT's demand response service which is separate from the fixed routes. You actually can just hop on an MCAT bus if it's their deviated fixed route service that is. M1-7 are all available to general public just pay your fare. M7 south amboy south brunswick line and other MCAT lines allow anyone to flag it just remember to be there when it's scheduled to arrive. MCAT is miserable but not jitney bad.

http://www.co.somerset.nj.us/transpdf/Dash%202.pdf

Hmm let me answer that err how about send the line to hillsborough or if ya are adventurous push ur luck with flemington. Edited by qjtransitmaster

Hmm let me answer that err how about send the line to hillsborough or if ya are adventurous push ur luck with flemington.

Never been to Hillsborough, Flemington I heard of.... How far is it between the two anyway?

Not even about being adventurous, but yeah, there are outlets out in Flemington IIRC - although I think there should be some type of route (not necessarily NJT) running b/w those outlets & the RVL........ instead of a flemington-new brunswick route....

Never been to Hillsborough, Flemington I heard of.... How far is it between the two anyway?

Not even about being adventurous, but yeah, there are outlets out in Flemington IIRC - although I think there should be some type of route (not necessarily NJT) running b/w those outlets & the RVL........ instead of a flemington-new brunswick route....

Not very far like 15 min drive to flemington from hillsborough. Are you talking about a rte 31 or 202 bus to RVL? I think 202 would do better but I am honestly not sure how to do it. True it does not need to be a new brunswick to hillsborough route but that is a side effect of being a crosstown.

You do realize ALL countywide bus services in NJ are funded by NEW JERSEY TRANSIT!!!!!!!!!!! Read the fine print on the schedules. You can not escape NJT you never will. B35 is right the counties will not improve those services to acceptable levels as they run based on funding they get from NJT. However NJT is not the only statewide operation DART first state is another and the broken CTTransit yes county services in CT are in fact indirectly controlled by you guessed it CTTRANSIT.

One more thing NJT's 600 series 700 series and 800 series except MCM were former countywide services operated by the individual counties themselves before they backfired and NJT came to the rescue via takeover. Burlink lines are administered by NJT every form of transit in New jersey runs through NJT first it is impossible to sidestep them. Counties aren't going back to that except ones that never had service to begin with guess what sussex transit and cape may fare free is funded by drum roll please New Jersey Transit. I am willing to bet that 100% of those RTS vehicles are used exclusively on the toms river connection the only Ocean Ride route that ppl can actually use. The only line that doesn't run like an atrocity and funded by NJT. Just saying based on the facts carry on.

I completely understand that, and I have no problem with NJT funding county buses as without state funding the systems would likely shut down. But not every service needs to be OPERATED by or under contract to NJT or using NJT-owned buses. In NY State systems where state funding is received, the bus system orders their own buses, and that's how I think it should be here. That's how it is with Somerset and OceanRide at least with their RTSs, I believe MCAT owns their own buses as well.

NJT should just be responsible for funding the various transit systems in the state, and maybe operating the commuter rails as well or hiring contractors such as Veolia to operate them. They should also be a quality control agency to ensure the systems operate safely and on-time.

Not very far like 15 min drive to flemington from hillsborough. Are you talking about a rte 31 or 202 bus to RVL? I think 202 would do better but I am honestly not sure how to do it. True it does not need to be a new brunswick to hillsborough route but that is a side effect of being a crosstown.

I was thinkin about 202 - There's simply more RR service to/from Raritan than where route 31 leaves you off at (over there further west along the line; north branch or white house, one of those stations).....

I completely understand that, and I have no problem with NJT funding county buses as without state funding the systems would likely shut down. But not every service needs to be OPERATED by or under contract to NJT or using NJT-owned buses. In NY State systems where state funding is received, the bus system orders their own buses, and that's how I think it should be here. That's how it is with Somerset and OceanRide at least with their RTSs, I believe MCAT owns their own buses as well.

NJT should just be responsible for funding the various transit systems in the state, and maybe operating the commuter rails as well or hiring contractors such as Veolia to operate them. They should also be a quality control agency to ensure the systems operate safely and on-time.

Actually oceanride and MCAT get their buses from NJT Oceanride has just got to go they have proven to be USELESS. NJT can absorb most lines by modifying several existing lines.

Sorry l last paragraph is my post. NJT does a good job with bus service small states like NJ are better off with statewide agencies as ppl travell between counties often and NJT is better at that than county based lines. NJT absorbed county based lines before. Edited by qjtransitmaster