NJT proposals/ideas thread 2012-2013

I corrected some of your grammar BTW.

A new 310 runs via 10 from Journal Square to Bayonne and via CSI in SI and stops at Bricktown mall, express to Raritan Center replaces 814 with more frequent service 30 min off peak. Then after New Brunswick, it eats parts of the DASH. Another branch eats parts of 810 via I-278 skips Bricktown and serves Forest Ave in SI, then via US 1 absorbs 810 via a streamlined routing replacing it with frequent service. This was why some of my SI/Brooklyn ideas were so extreme. Then 306 via Newark tops it off via US 1 after Woodbridge via I-95 skips SI again originating from Journal Square. I will reveal it's true form later consider it the greed of markets.

Why are you gonna have an NJT route stop in Staten Island when its north and south endpoints are in NJ? If you want a route like that, you might as well just have the (MTA) do it.

I will define my NJT view in a nutshell it involves 4 phases.

Phase 1: The compression warm up involves speeding up some 400 lines and streamlining some 500s Some lines are merged or extended.

Phase 2: The speed involves HOV via GSP AND I-295 prepares the merges and most 800 lines in Morris become food and Monmouth merges a few like a dedicated route 18 bus. Many will time with intrastates to avoid duplicates.

Phase 3: The greed many new lines not exactly some locals become NY bound to GWB from areas not easy to reach see city-data for meaning. Many through lines with stops in SI en route to Middlesex and maybe Monmouth. Some will just link with SI or Brooklyn via SI expressway. The X line triboro would be a big help but too pricy. Most MCATs and OceanRide lines axed completely. Morris lines become parts of lines to Union and maybe Hudson(not sure).

Phase 4 the final new SJ lines to Wilmington from Atlantic City via different places. Several 400s get restructured to attract more ridership. More timing with PATCO and the community county lines bite the dust.

In phase 4 lines will go to Flemington.

Underlined part: Listen, if NJT is gonna serve Staten Island, the route is most likely gonna end at one of the west edge neighborhoods of SI.

Bold part: I've said it before and i'll say it again. Sending a route far away from its comfort zone isn't going to work for anybody. It won't work for the drivers because if they have to do deadheads, they will most likely be late to start the route. It won't work for passengers because the bus won't be at the stop when they normally expect it to be there. Those reasons are why the 52 going to Morristown can't happen.

Edited by Transitkid4608

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The reason is that those NJT lines will only make 3 SI stops CSI then victory at richmond ave then victory and 440 then to NJ again with people boarding at SI the lines avoid competition with NEC. Others will go via forest ave to NJ. MTA doesn't have the resources. Plus an MTA line will make several stops while these NJT through lines only stop at major transfer points.

I corrected some of your grammar BTW.

Why are you gonna have an NJT route stop in Staten Island when its north and south endpoints are in NJ? If you want a route like that, you might as well just have the (MTA) do it.

Underlined part: Listen, if NJT is gonna serve Staten Island, the route is most likely gonna end at one of the west edge neighborhoods of SI.

Bold part: I've said it before and i'll say it again. Sending a route far away from its comfort zone isn't going to work for anybody. It won't work for the drivers because if they have to do deadheads, they will most likely be late to start the route. It won't work for passengers because the bus won't be at the stop when they normally expect it to be there. Those reasons are why the 52 going to Morristown can't happen.

look at the routings ohh I never suggested 52 to morristown ya know. I suggested eating 872 untill mcali then 875 or 880 the line will split with dover to reduce DH. The SI ones actually originate in journsl sq and mostly hudson county then via 440 to CSI then back to the highway to NJ. Some will end at bricktown others will simply run via SI HOV to bay ridge or CI bia CSI closed door. Comfort zones =fail. Many people would benefit from a union to morris line. Ohh that 52 uses either rte 24 to livingston or another more direct route. Morris I admit I haven't fully decided yet as there are other ways to absorb 800s. Besides njt is better than $11 tolls!!! I haven't looked into hudson yet. Edited by qjtransitmaster

.look at the routings ohh I never suggested 52 to morristown ya know.

This quote right here begs to differ however.

Problem some of these won't work so well the ones are 109 and 310 reason people going to morris ave will use the faster 114 plus it is easier to extend 52 to morris county.

The SI ones actually originate in journsl sq and mostly hudson county then via 440 to CSI then back to the highway to NJ. Some will end at bricktown others will simply run via SI HOV to bay ridge or CI bia CSI closed door.

Yeah but it makes more sense if the MTA does it. This route your talking about mainly serves Staten Island.

Comfort zones =fail.

No, they aren't failures. They keep the drivers from having to go too far from their respective garage.

Many people would benefit from a union to morris line. Ohh that 52 uses either rte 24 to livingston or another more direct route. Morris I admit I haven't fully decided yet as there are other ways to absorb 800s.

I have a family member who lives in Union. Most of the people from that area don't even give a s**t about Morris County. Their primary focus is Newark and Elizabeth.

Besides njt is better than $11 tolls!!!

Heh. Tell that to the people in Middlesex County.

Edited by Transitkid4608

This quote right here begs to differ however.

Yeah but it makes more sense if the MTA does it. This route your talking about mainly serves Staten Island.

No, they aren't failures. They keep the drivers from having to go too far from their respective garage.

I have a family member who lives in Union. Most of the people from that area don't even give a s**t about Morris County. Their primary focus is Newark and Elizabeth.

Heh. Tell that to the people in Middlesex County.

Actually those routes get shared with other garages after mergers My extension of the 52 does not send it to morristown notice I never specified where in morris however I may just keep it at livingston mall yes it will go to morris county as a result its split with dover and elizbeth so drivers will learn from each other at different garages getting them more comfortable I haven't completely decided yet. Again the SI routes I propose are LONG DISTANCE DEEP INTO NJ again MTA can't run em as it will be too long. MTA already has S89&59 & 62 no need to have em go to NJ. So you ignored what I said completely and assumed I said one thing while I actually didn't. This allows NJT to serve 3 markets at the same time with lines merged they can do more with less and attract ridership. Middlesex residents have ZERO options to reach SI and brooklyn my phase 3 changes this. None of these are redundant read before you reply read carefully. Edited by qjtransitmaster

Speed up of SJ

1) restructure 410 & 401 to make timed transfers at woodbury all 410s become express to camden/philly.

401 enhanced to hourly all trips but a few travel full route 468 discontinued due to duplication of 401 parts.

2) the shuttle mergers New flex zone demand response service for cumberland replaces CARTS then all 410s travel full route except rush hour which gets no change in preparation for this interlining. some 410s may make demand trips within cumberland some return to philly as 408s.

3)after carts takeover new garage in bridgeton splits 553 with egg harbor reducing DHs. 410/408 will also split with this garage the community shuttle is absorbed and its garage retrofitted for MCI cruisers.

553&401/402 will split with pennsville killing salem transit.

4) Let DART have the 468 between pennsville and salem. 402 DK may need streamlining to speed up the route hope 553 can elighten me on this. However the alternative would be to have 402 eat rest of 468 but then parts of northern portion rerouted to 295 to speed it up en rte to woodbury. I am not completely sure but I have used 402 several times I have seen people barely use it between woodbury and paulsboro the intermediate stops at least.

5)455 gains additional rush hr service to try and attract patco riders.

Edited by qjtransitmaster

Okay this is the last route change/add proposal for now:

New Routes

16: Elizabeth-Jersey City.

110: Woodbridge Center-New York. Yeah the 116 is close by, but it isn't close enough. And sending it to the mall would take it out of the way.

301: Six Flags-Atlantic City

309: Six Flags-Jersey City

Changes to Existing Routes

52: Instead of ending at Elizabeth, it will now end at Jersey Gardens Mall.

67: Every other local trip goes to Journal Square on the weekends.

130: Holmdel-New York Route 35 Express. At least its not going to duplicate the 139 anymore.

131: It will no longer go to Freehold. I'm debating on whether to send it deeper into Cliffwood Beach or Union Beach, but it isn't going to run alongside the 135 anymore.

132: Upper Freehold-New York. It will serve the town the best it can, then use I-195 to the NJ Turnpike.

133: Select trips will follow the 135's path to Matawan instead of using the GSP.

135: Route becomes daily. I'm considering a possible extension to the mall, but I don't see it happening.

136: Colts Neck-New York. This route will not serve the Matawan/Old Bridge section of route 34.

139: All trips serve Freehold Mall. And by that I mean they actually go into the mall. There are people down here who unfortunately are too lazy to read the schedule and get pissed when they find out the bus skipped the mall.

319: Some trips will serve Cheesequake Terminal.

817: Extend to Woodbridge Center. That route could possibly see more ridership if it becomes convenient for mall-bound passengers.

818: Extend to Route 35 in Old Bridge for a link with the 131 and 817.

My next proposal is an initiative to get NJ Transit to advertise the poorly-known routes. The main reason most of these routes get poor ridership is because they aren't known well. NJ Transit needs to get routes like that noticed by the people who live in the towns they serve. If they complain about losing money so much they should do something besides cut routes that some people actually used.

Edited by Transitkid4608

Okay this is the last route change/add proposal for now:

New Routes

16: Elizabeth-Jersey City. interesting NICE

110: Woodbridge Center-New York. Yeah the 116 is close by, but it isn't close enough. And sending it to the mall would take it out of the way.

301: Six Flags-Atlantic City(Err what is stopping people from using 319 to toms river for a six flags bus from there.)

309: Six Flags-Jersey City Well it's called 308 newark via PATH why not simply extend 308(newark trips) Look at existing lines you keep ignoring them.

Changes to Existing Routes

67: Every other local trip goes to Journal Square on the weekends.

130: Holmdel-New York Route 35 Express. At least its not going to duplicate the 139 anymore.This is not a duplicate but an express LTD stop variant of 139. So look at academy's lines they already do this.

131: It will no longer go to Freehold. I'm debating on whether to send it deeper into Cliffwood Beach or Union Beach, but it isn't going to run alongside the 135 anymore.

132: Upper Freehold-New York. It will serve the town the best it can, then use I-195 to the NJ Turnpike. Err ok but is this gonna work? what is in upper freehold it seems like something academy does with it's manchester jackson line.

133: Select trips will follow the 135's path to Matawan instead of using the GSP. Try and learn about 133 riders to see if this is needed they can help.

135: Route becomes daily. I'm considering a possible extension to the mall, but I don't see it happening. Nice but try merging it with 307 and it may work out better than you hoped.

136: Colts Neck-New York. This route will not serve the Matawan/Old Bridge section of route 34.

139: All trips serve Freehold Mall. And by that I mean they actually go into the mall. There are people down here who unfortunately are too lazy to read the schedule and get pissed when they find out the bus skipped the mall. utter BS just add more 139s 139 is good as is and isn't the most reliable just renumber the mall trips.

319: Some trips will serve Cheesequake Terminal.Not needed academy's atlantic city service does this look into all services in an area before making redundant ideas.

817: Extend to Woodbridge Center. That route could possibly see more ridership if it becomes convenient for mall-bound passengers Good

818: Extend to Route 35 in Old Bridge for a link with the 131 and 817.

My next proposal is an initiative to get NJ Transit to advertise the poorly-known routes. The main reason most of these routes get poor ridership is because they aren't known well. NJ Transit needs to get routes like that noticed by the people who live in the towns they serve. If they complain about losing money so much they should do something besides cut routes that some people actually used.

Replies in color. And Based on bold that was why these lines were cut 884 and 967. Also this was why Morris county lines are weak but that is not the only reason. This is why the 455,457 and 413 and several SJ lines do not get the ridership they truly deserve. If people knew the 406 existed it would need artics now!!!!!! Many people do not know 55x series lines are 24/7!!!!!!!!!. It is also why buses line 813 run the way they do. But the problem is far worse in SJ. People do not know shit about their buses 407 and 405 are victims of ignorance.

I admit some of my SJ proposals are very vulnerable to ignorance especially the express lines over I-295 and I-195.

What's stopping people from taking the 319 to Toms River is that there is no direct bus to Six Flags from there. They would have to wait for the 67, ride that to Freehold, and then catch the 307. That right there sounds like a wallet's bleed-out.

Call it what you want, the 130 is a complete waste of a route. It would do better working as a Route 35 line. It won't completely duplicate the 131, but instead it will run alongside it until it splits off into West Sayreville, then it will serve the business district of route 35 in South Amboy before heading to the city.

There are absolutely NO buses in Upper Freehold. Those people have to drive to catch the bus. That's what I'm trying to change.

How I am supposed to do that? Go sit next to someone riding the 133 and ask them how they would feel about that happening? They'll probably look at me like this:

90ad9322_WTF-ARE-YOU-TALKING-ABOUT.jpg

Don't tell me that the 139 barely serving the Freehold Mall is utter BS. Most people traveling to the mall have to make a nearly mile long walk to get to the mall if they take the bus. People down here think they don't need a bus schedule because they think they don't need the bus since they have a car(lets see if they think that when gas costs $10 a gallon). Plus you can't really add more 139s just like that. Howell may have tons of MCIs, but they may not have a lot of drivers to do this. And Academy sure as hell ain't gonna help em'.

The 319s serving Cheesequake won't be going to/from NYC though. They will be the ones ending in Jersey City.

Edited by Transitkid4608

I've been periodically checking this thread, but I haven't been commenting up until this point b/c you two had a nice little back & forth

Anyway, my comments are in bold.

------------------------

301: Six Flags-Atlantic City(Err what is stopping people from using 319 to toms river for a six flags bus from there.)

- I don't particularly think an actual six flags-atlantic city route makes sense either, since AC is already a recreation spot...

But there's no way in the world people would take the 319 to toms river, to make their way to other buses to get to six flags....

309: Six Flags-Jersey City Well it's called 308 newark via PATH why not simply extend 308(newark trips) Look at existing lines you keep ignoring them.

- I agree with QJT here... May as well make that a variant of the 308 instead .. doesn't really need another route # designation...

- I think the new/current 62 should go there instead....

130: Holmdel-New York Route 35 Express. At least its not going to duplicate the 139 anymore.This is not a duplicate but an express LTD stop variant of 139. So look at academy's lines they already do this.

- Not agreeing or disagreeing w/ either of you, but I just wanted to say that, out of the 13_'s I see whenever I fan NJT during the early evening hrs, I see a f#&kload of 130's the most.... Is the amt. of service that route/variant gets justified?

135: Route becomes daily. I'm considering a possible extension to the mall, but I don't see it happening. Nice but try merging it with 307 and it may work out better than you hoped.

- I agree w/ TransitKid here.... 135 should run outside of just rush hours... Don't see the point of merging it w/ the [freehold-six flags] route...

139: All trips serve Freehold Mall. And by that I mean they actually go into the mall. There are people down here who unfortunately are too lazy to read the schedule and get pissed when they find out the bus skipped the mall. utter BS just add more 139s 139 is good as is and isn't the most reliable just renumber the mall trips.

- On Weekends, maybe...

All Weekday 139 trips though, nah..... Freehold mall doesn't need all that service...

319: Some trips will serve Cheesequake Terminal.Not needed academy's atlantic city service does this look into all services in an area before making redundant ideas.

- I agree w/ QJT... 319 (in any capacity) to Cheesequake isn't necessary...

Wait, what bus route would you extend from Toms River to Six Flags?

What do the S59 & S62 have to do with NJ? :wacko:

They serve several parts of SI and are near highways that go to NJ. Good question 607 loses southern segment from TTC to 604 extension or 613 split more on that later. 607 becomes I-195 express next stop hamilton marketplace(off peak only) then jackson P&R en rte to six flags then to CR 571 replacing former OC service taking a direct route to toms river. Afterwards still debating that.

@B35 I actually was wondering that myself about 135 my plan was to enhance it but absorb parts of a 139 variant or eat 307. But I am leaning more towards helping 139's area.

Okay, what do you guys think about these changes for the 817?

Extension to Woodbridge Center. That route will become a cash magnet if it goes to Woodbridge Center. But to make sure it works, I think it should tested as a pilot first.

Change destination signs to say Middletown-Belford instead of Campbells Junction since no one knows where that is.

Split the route with Veolia so it can run more frequently. The only thing that's gonna make the 817's presence become known is if it runs more frequently.

Okay, what do you guys think about these changes for the 817?

Extension to Woodbridge Center. That route will become a cash magnet if it goes to Woodbridge Center. But to make sure it works, I think it should tested as a pilot first.

Change destination signs to say Middletown-Belford instead of Campbells Junction since no one knows where that is.

Split the route with Veolia so it can run more frequently. The only thing that's gonna make the 817's presence become known is if it runs more frequently.

That and streamlining in perth amboy otherwise people will use 815 to 817 or the train.

Plus in monmouth many academy lines run much more frequently and duplicate parts of 817

That and streamlining in perth amboy otherwise people will use 815 to 817 or the train.

Plus in monmouth many academy lines run much more frequently and duplicate parts of 81

Funny you mentioned that. On Saturday I took the 817 to the 815. I had to take the 815 to the train to head back to Matawan because the 817 stops running after 5:00PM on Saturdays. The 817 needs to run to Woodbridge Center via NJ-35. Select trips should just end in Perth Amboy. That way the 815's ridership will remain unaffected.

Funny you mentioned that. On Saturday I took the 817 to the 815. I had to take the 815 to the train to head back to Matawan because the 817 stops running after 5:00PM on Saturdays. The 817 needs to run to Woodbridge Center via NJ-35. Select trips should just end in Perth Amboy. That way the 815's ridership will remain unaffected.

Interesting I've yet to master what to do with 817 my proposal was in response to 2010 service cuts. Which was why many lines merge with 800s lines to create more efficient lines new ridership will equal this formula N= new riders and C = current combined of the lines merged.

So many of my new lines ridership = C+N or R1+R2+ I = Total ridership of new line.

Example 613 merger with 836 = both ridership combined plus new riders. Same with others. MCAT and Oceanride bite the dust due to uselessness and merging out to death

Okay I have an idea that could bring some more revenue to NJ Transit. How does paying on board the bus with your credit/debit card sound? Basically it works like this: You board and there is a PIN pad next to the fare box where you slide your card and enter the PIN number, then it will display "Payment Successful" or "Card declined. Please Swipe Again". It won't take away the ability to pay with cash though, it just makes the boarding process a little more convenient for those who don't carry cash with them. I

Okay I have an idea that could bring some more revenue to NJ Transit. How does paying on board the bus with your credit/debit card sound? Basically it works like this: You board and there is a PIN pad next to the fare box where you slide your card and enter the PIN number, then it will display "Payment Successful" or "Card declined. Please Swipe Again". It won't take away the ability to pay with cash though, it just makes the boarding process a little more convenient for those who don't carry cash with them. I

NJT is already testing this on select lines 6 & 87& 80 soon more lines to follow. Plus I learned that when the pensahauken transit center opens it will cut train travel time between Trenton and Atlantic city from 2 hours and 30 mins to 1 hour and 49 mins or down to just 90 mins rendering a direct bus irrelevant. But yes NJT is already doing it. I think when on break you should explore more parts of NJ especially hard to reach areas it can be fun.

There is a similar program in Jersey City, called tap n go or whatever on select routes

You are clearly not completely informed pay attention to what goes on in NJ especially NJT and other buses there.

What are you talking about? I just said that the Tap>Ride program needs to used on all the bus routes. Including the contract ones. NJT shouldn't just get the Tap>Ride for the Greenville routes. Besides this can help bring up ridership on some lines, but I already said I'm not going to focus on the routes too much for now.

I have another proposal. Bring some more light rail into the picture if NJ Transit can get some federal assistance. Here are some ideas for a light rail.

Monmouth Ocean Middlesex light rail network.

If they aren't gonna do a rail network there, then they might as well make it light rail.

Aberdeen Matawan-South Brunswick Transfer

Proposed Stops:

Aberdeen-Matawan Station

Matawan Town Center

Geick Park

Old Bridge Civic Center

Brunswick Square Mall

Bicentenial Park

US-130

South Brunswick (New NEC Station will be built to allow a transfer)

Red Bank-South Brunswick Transfer

Proposed Stops:

Red Bank RR Station

Shrewsbury Avenue

Lincroft

Brookdale Community College

Route 34 Park & Ride

Route 79 Park & Ride

Gordons Corner Road

Monroe Twp/Thompson Park

US-130

South Brunswick Transfer

I'm currently drawing up another MOM route from Ocean County, This one wont go to South Brunswick however. Stay tuned ;)

Edited by Transitkid4608

What are you talking about? I just said that the Tap>Ride program needs to used on all the bus routes. Including the contract ones. NJT shouldn't just get the Tap>Ride for the Greenville routes. Besides this can help bring up ridership on some lines, but I already said I'm not going to focus on the routes too much for now.

I have another proposal. Bring some more light rail into the picture if NJ Transit can get some federal assistance. Here are some ideas for a light rail.

Monmouth Ocean Middlesex light rail network.

If they aren't gonna do a rail network there, then they might as well make it light rail.

Aberdeen Matawan-South Brunswick Transfer

Proposed Stops:

Aberdeen-Matawan Station

Matawan Town Center

Geick Park

Old Bridge Civic Center

Brunswick Square Mall

Bicentenial Park

US-130

South Brunswick (New NEC Station will be built to allow a transfer)

Red Bank-South Brunswick Transfer

Proposed Stops:

Red Bank RR Station

Shrewsbury Avenue

Lincroft

Brookdale Community College

Route 34 Park & Ride

Route 79 Park & Ride

Gordons Corner Road

Monroe Twp/Thompson Park

US-130

South Brunswick Transfer

I'm currently drawing up another MOM route from Ocean County, This one wont go to South Brunswick however. Stay tuned ;)

I would do it as first one line that merges the DINKY into a full line by itself via south Brunswick to whiting initially. With improved 135 service connecting with trains. Phase 2 will create 2 lines thus rerouting the princeton MOM line to Red Bank with the Aberdeen or preferably the south Amboy ROW as it won't render 135 useless cause NJ79 is a corridor that will go to whiting in the phase 1 line's place.

1st priority The easiest improvements will be the cape may line as the hotels and tourism industry wold gladly fund it to philly. Then it can through route to west trenton under a deal with SEPTA then continuing onward to bound brook for links to RVL. Killing 2 birds with 1 stone.

3rd priority linking the morristown line to phillipsburg

2nd is MOM

intermittent a Bus on shoulder program for the GSP and XBL on GSP both directions at PM and AM rush from bloomfield to redbank new routes first then later they get merged with others to consolidate resources and maximize farebox revenue. This very concept was what caught their attention.

I would do it as first one line that merges the DINKY into a full line by itself via south Brunswick to whiting initially. With improved 135 service connecting with trains. Phase 2 will create 2 lines thus rerouting the princeton MOM line to Red

Bank with the Aberdeen or preferably the south Amboy ROW as it won't render 135 useless cause NJ79 is a corridor that will go to whiting in the phase 1 line's place.

1st priority The easiest improvements will be the cape may line as the hotels and tourism industry wold gladly fund it to philly. Then it can through route to west trenton under a deal with SEPTA then continuing onward to bound brook for links to RVL. Killing 2 birds with 1 stone.

3rd priority linking the morristown line to phillipsburg

2nd is MOM

intermittent a Bus on shoulder program for the GSP and XBL on GSP both directions at PM and AM rush from bloomfield to redbank new routes first then later they get merged with others to consolidate resources and maximize farebox revenue. This very concept was what caught their attention.

Your proposal to connect phillipsburg to the Morristown line is a bad one. I guess you aren't aware of the reopening of the Cut-Off that will bring service to PA (giving funding is available to extend it past MOS 2). Plus it will add more passengers on both the Morris & Essex and Montclair-Booton lines. So that's a no go

There has been a proposal to extend the RVL to Phillipsburg but no funding is secure to study the idea