NJT proposals/ideas thread 2012-2013

Federal Funding as long as the need is there, then NJT can make routes anywhere.

I actually like this idea. One question is that if the line was to get really popular and people needed a 118X, would you consider making it start at Rutgers, proceed as normal, then when you get to the intersection of I-287 and New Durham Road, you would turn left onto 287 then to the NJ Turnpike and proceed to PABT, as well as a reverse route? Similar to a 166X (instead of going through Blvd East and Leonia, you start in Bergenfield) ?

Thanks, I guess an X bus could become a possibility for rush hours if the route becomes that popular. Or create another variant that goes Route 27>GSP>NJ Turnpike>PABT and call it the 118S or something like that. I'd still keep the X bus though.

I wouldn't even bother with rte 27 I would rather have it on rte 1 mind you most of my NJT plan NOT ALL was actually meant to soften the blow of NJT service cuts!!! However at the time I didn't have the level of understanding needed to carry on with a proper service proposal. So most of it created new lines but their originss in north jersey would share terminals with several frequent lines allowing occasional interlining while they would then proceed to monmouth and devour and replace many 800s protecting em from cuts and increasing ridership with new riders plus current riders. I used formulas based on some planner to determine minimum ridership of new restructured lines.

You sure? That has pros and cons.

Pros:

Could see possible service to Menlo Park Mall.

Could also see Emergency RRS(Rail Replacement Service) at Edison as well.

Cons:

Trip time may take longer due to traffic conditions on US-1.

It still has to do Emergency RRS @ Metropark. So when the NEC is suspended/heavily delayed, it's not going straight to Woodbridge.

Edited by Transitkid4608

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, I guess an X bus could become a possibility for rush hours if the route becomes that popular. Or create another variant that goes Route 27>GSP>NJ Turnpike>PABT and call it the 118S or something like that. I'd still keep the X bus though.

You sure? That has pros and cons.

Pros:

Could see possible service to Menlo Park Mall.

Could also see Emergency RRS(Rail Replacement Service) at Edison as well.

Cons:

Trip time may take longer due to traffic conditions on US-1.

It still has to do Emergency RRS @ Metropark. So when the NEC is suspended/heavily delayed, it's not going straight to Woodbridge.

However each part is different yet you think this works everywhere. Some places in NJ buses are faster other places it's the same. remember your going against a service that is mostly every 30 mins. But I see your point works.

Edited by qjtransitmaster

you act like NEC is ALWAYS DELAYED which is NOT the case.

Did I say that? No. I didn't. So knock off the BS and stop overreacting. I'm sorry I had to be that blunt.

what will ppl do when the train is NOT DELAYED? However each part is different yet you think this works everywhere.

I plastered "will only serve train station during delays/suspensions" everywhere on that proposal. Since you claerly didn't read it, i'm gonna write it again.

IT WILL NOT STOP AT METROPARK UNLESS THERE'S AN EMERGENCY.

Did I say that? No. I didn't. So knock off the BS and stop overreacting. I'm sorry I had to be that blunt.

I plastered "will only serve train station during delays/suspensions" everywhere on that proposal. Since you claerly didn't read it, i'm gonna write it again.

IT WILL NOT STOP AT METROPARK UNLESS THERE'S AN EMERGENCY.

Your right you have a very valid point well done man. Well done. B-) Good so you have mastered it nice.

Yeah, that's what I mean. You know some buses start or end at certain points. If the line is very busy, it could benefit from some X buses and some buses that stop at certain areas. What about Union City service? It might present opportunities for those that might look for employment. Metropark would be a good use for emergency purposes (God Forbid).

Yeah, that's what I mean. You know some buses start or end at certain points. If the line is very busy, it could benefit from some X buses and some buses that stop at certain areas. What about Union City service? It might present opportunities for those that might look for employment. Metropark would be a good use for emergency purposes (God Forbid).

I guess select trips could serve Union City.

Route 391: Jersey City-Philadelphia. https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=208174968748802406451.0004d246e75c06b404cbb&msa=0&ll=40.042335,-74.501038&spn=0.860001,1.783905

I guess select trips could serve Union City.

Route 391: Jersey City-Philadelphia. https://maps.google....860001,1.783905

I like it then reroute 317 via 90 to avoid duplication and increase service on both lines. The newark fare is stupidly overpriced on greyhound and boltbus is not frequent this line has potential as NEC/SEPTA is too slow.

• 2 weeks later...

You sure you want the 317 to go over the Betsy Ross Bridge on Route 90? It could lose its Camden ridership that way.

Lol don't think I've stopped yet!

NJT 49: Bogota-Newport Mall

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=208174968748802406451.0004d30ec86ae8970148a&msa=0&ll=40.753727,-74.026866&spn=0.026593,0.055747

You sure you want the 317 to go over the Betsy Ross Bridge on Route 90? It could lose its Camden ridership that way.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=208174968748802406451.0004d30ec86ae8970148a&msa=0&ll=40.753727,-74.026866&spn=0.026593,0.055747

It's camden ridership would be transferred to the 413 that idea was in response to someone else here I think mfs459 I need to flip back.

It may attract philadelphia ridership. If stopping pattern is perfected it can do well.

About the 49 how would you defend against counter arguments like just use 22/89/126 and transfer in union city to 127/83?

It's camden ridership would be transferred to the 413 that idea was in response to someone else here I think mfs459 I need to flip back.

It may attract philadelphia ridership. If stopping pattern is perfected it can do well.

About the 49 how would you defend against counter arguments like just use 22/89/126 and transfer in union city to 127/83?

Those lines don't serve Bogota/Lincoln Harbor/Newport Mall/Hoboken all at once. A one-seat ride is what people want. Nobody wants to brave the elements to catch a second bus. It's why I'm the only one out of all the people I know who use the 815/817 combo to get to Woodbridge over driving, but that's another discussion for another day. Anyone else care to chime in on the 49?

Those lines don't serve Bogota/Lincoln Harbor/Newport Mall/Hoboken all at once. A one-seat ride is what people want. Nobody wants to brave the elements to catch a second bus. It's why I'm the only one out of all the people I know who use the 815/817 combo to get to Woodbridge over driving, but that's another discussion for another day. Anyone else care to chime in on the 49?

BUT those 2nd buses combined run every 10 to 15 minutes and time between transfers is less than 10 thus invalidating your line as a waste of resources. Can you post route changes rather than new lines out of nowhere?

I actually use some ideas here to perfect my own plans but routes with no unique segment are useless to me and the reason I started this thread. How are you going to disprove opposing arguments if that is brought up with just 2 lines they do just that. I mean how will you deal with the NJT board? 815/817 yeah you're right the GSP is there so yeah they will drive. I have a way to deal with those lines.

BUT those 2nd buses combined run every 10 to 15 minutes and time between transfers is less than 10 thus invalidating your line as a waste of resources. Can you post route changes rather than new lines out of nowhere?

I actually use some ideas here to perfect my own plans but routes with no unique segment are useless to me and the reason I started this thread. How are you going to disprove opposing arguments if that is brought up with just 2 lines they do just that. I mean how will you deal with the NJT board? 815/817 yeah you're right the GSP is there so yeah they will drive. I have a way to deal with those lines.

Okay you really didn't have to call my new line a waste of resources. These lines don't come out of nowhere. I think pretty well about what's around the area it would run in before I present it here. Changing a route could mess with people's everyday commute. Let me put it like this:

You live in Bogota and work at the Newport Mall. You have to be at work at 8:00AM sharp. Now you could take the 83 to the Light Rail, but that would require you to wake up at 5:45AM(Taking your time to get ready) because the bus comes at 6:34. Then when you get to Tonnele Ave, you have to catch the light rail which is about a good 15 minutes from Tonnele to Newport (Maybe your right, the train could be faster than the bus sometimes. Sometimes. Don't get carried away with that.)

Now let's try it again, you have the 49 this time. You get to sleep for an extra 10 minutes and you don't have to rush, because the bus doesn't leave until 7:04. It's a nice 44-minute ride to the mall and you don't have to make a transfer to a second bus or to the HBLR. You could listen to music or sleep without worrying about missing your stop because it's the last one.

Now which one sounds easier, taking the 83 to the HBLR, or just taking the 49?

How are you gonna deal with the 815/817? Actually speaking of the 817, I made some changes to it. https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=208174968748802406451.0004d34a676936e21f8bd&msa=0

Edited by Transitkid4608

Okay you really didn't have to call my new line a waste of resources. These lines don't come out of nowhere. I think pretty well about what's around the area it would run in before I present it here. Changing a route could mess with people's everyday commute. Let me put it like this:

You live in Bogota and work at the Newport Mall. You have to be at work at 8:00AM sharp. Now you could take the 83 to the Light Rail, but that would require you to wake up at 5:45AM(Taking your time to get ready) because the bus comes at 6:34. Then when you get to Tonnele Ave, you have to catch the light rail which is about a good 15 minutes from Tonnele to Newport (Maybe your right, the train could be faster than the bus sometimes. Sometimes. Don't get carried away with that.)

Now let's try it again, you have the 49 this time. You get to sleep for an extra 10 minutes and you don't have to rush, because the bus doesn't leave until 7:04. It's a nice 44-minute ride to the mall and you don't have to make a transfer to a second bus or to the HBLR. You could listen to music or sleep without worrying about missing your stop because it's the last one.

Now which one sounds easier, taking the 83 to the HBLR, or just taking the 49?

How are you gonna deal with the 815/817? Actually speaking of the 817, I made some changes to it. https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=208174968748802406451.0004d34a676936e21f8bd&msa=0

traffic would drag it down and knowing NJT they would simply just add more 83s then time them better with the 22/89. This makes the connection easier to make with the HBLR thus invalidating the need for the 49. Due to improved trip time adjustments the time between transfers is slightly less. So the person will still get their rest using existing lines eliminating your potential event. That bus can get caught in hoboken traffic delaying arrival to newport mall.

Want an example of messing with commutes messing and improving aren't the same. Sometimes route changes are needed and can be offset.

Like 751/755 this is a change that improves service levels but affects few people negatively. How you say simple the lines will be consolidated into one line with 40 min headways by just staying on rte 5 to rte US1/9 then via it's 751 route but directly to hackensack via salem street to the bus terminal then back on it's combined route OR via central ave and summit ave then back to it's route this way you add service to corridors with no service and remove duplication. The 88 or 22 extend select trips to edgewater commons via 751 routing off-setting the elimination of 751 from north bergen those riders would have their 90 min service replaced by a more frequent service with 20 to 30 min headways instead. Those connecting from 159/156/154 will simply have to get the new route at rte 5 instead of transferring at north bergen. The new line will simply be known as just the 750. 755 routing in fort lee dropped due to frequent alternatives 182/156/ indirectly 158.  Anderson ave 751 routing dropped duplicates 159 which is every 15 sometimes 10 minutes an infrequent line has no place here.  

Under that change 755/751 becomes 750. End result a more direct straighter route with more frequent consistent headways resulting in reduced wait times to reach their final destination. 753 duplicates too many more frequent routes it can get cut without many noticing due to something called continuing trip tickets.

traffic would drag it down and knowing NJT they would simply just add more 83s then time them better with the 22/89. This makes the connection easier to make with the HBLR thus invalidating the need for the 49. Due to improved trip time adjustments the time between transfers is slightly less. So the person will still get their rest using existing lines eliminating your potential event. That bus can get caught in hoboken traffic delaying arrival to newport mall.

Want an example of messing with commutes messing and improving aren't the same. Sometimes route changes are needed and can be offset.

Like 751/755 this is a change that improves service levels but affects few people negatively. How you say simple the lines will be consolidated into one line with 40 min headways by just staying on rte 5 to rte US1/9 then via it's 751 route but directly to hackensack via salem street to the bus terminal then back on it's combined route OR via central ave and summit ave then back to it's route this way you add service to corridors with no service and remove duplication. The 88 or 22 extend select trips to edgewater commons via 751 routing off-setting the elimination of 751 from north bergen those riders would have their 90 min service replaced by a more frequent service with 20 to 30 min headways instead. Those connecting from 159/156/154 will simply have to get the new route at rte 5 instead of transferring at north bergen. The new line will simply be known as just the 750. 755 routing in fort lee dropped due to frequent alternatives 182/156/ indirectly 158.  Anderson ave 751 routing dropped duplicates 159 which is every 15 sometimes 10 minutes an infrequent line has no place here.

Under that change 755/751 becomes 750. End result a more direct straighter route with more frequent consistent headways resulting in reduced wait times to reach their final destination. 753 duplicates too many more frequent routes it can get cut without many noticing due to something called continuing trip tickets.

So what does that have to do what does all that have to do with the 49? You know you don't have to type out the new directions for your route changes right? You can just draw them up with google maps.

1) Why not go all the way to Hacensack Terminal? It connects with other bus routes and its right across the river.

2) Bus route parallels with Route 83. Instead of Tonnelle Avenue, have the route run up Fairview Avenue, Blvd East, Pershing Road, Port Imperial, Linconl Harbor, to Hoboken thus eliminating the Route 23.

3) Don't use Marin Blvd next to Holland Tunnel! Too much congestion around the area and would cause delays. Instead, use Marin Blvd, 18th Street, Washington Blvd to Newport Mall.

1) Why not go all the way to Hacensack Terminal? It connects with other bus routes and its right across the river.

2) Bus route parallels with Route 83. Instead of Tonnelle Avenue, have the route run up Fairview Avenue, Blvd East, Pershing Road, Port Imperial, Linconl Harbor, to Hoboken thus eliminating the Route 23.

3) Don't use Marin Blvd next to Holland Tunnel! Too much congestion around the area and would cause delays. Instead, use Marin Blvd, 18th Street, Washington Blvd to Newport Mall.

Thanks for the suggestion! I updated it: https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=208174968748802406451.0004d30ec86ae8970148a&msa=0&ll=40.728251,-74.034355&spn=0.013301,0.027874

could you show me how you do those google map drawings one day, please?

Sure I can help, It's actually pretty simple. They have a tutorial on how to do it(just not how to make the bus lines). Do you have a google ID? If you do then go to maps>my places>create map, and then click on the interactive tutorial link. It should show you how to draw it up. If you need anymore help PM me. I'll be glad to help you.

3) Don't use Marin Blvd next to Holland Tunnel! Too much congestion around the area and would cause delays....

Just what I said to myself when I originally saw the map of his route there.... Like why would he expose the route to marin over there by the tunnel of all places.... That, while *shrugging* at the rather random ending in Bogota - My exact words were "may as well extend it over to the bus terminal in Hackensack, but I suppose he has some underlying reason to end it there... mmm, whatever..."

Aside from those two things, I didn't/don't have a problem w/ his idea.

could you show me how you do those google map drawings one day, please?

'aye, maybe you can pick up where I left off, because I'm about through drawing maps on google.... I try to draw exact routings & I despise the automatic straightening of lines google does whenever you try to draw a curve...

(see here... just zoom in on the area where the bus stop icon is [bishop McGann] to see what I'm talking about)

(see here... part of a routing that uses an entrance ramp to a highway)

Annoys me to no end.....

Google maps really needs a draw bezier curve feature.

Edited by B35 via Church

Your Welcome!

Also with the updated route, you are avoiding the congestion around the Blvd East - Marginal Road congestion during the Rush-Hour.

Any Idea the schedule this route would run? (M-F or all 7days?)

Any chance extending to Exchange Place?

Your Welcome!

Also with the updated route, you are avoiding the congestion around the Blvd East - Marginal Road congestion during the Rush-Hour.

I'm gonna have it run 7 days. Select trips are gonna go to Exchange Place.

Your Welcome!

If you do this then increase 168 T trips to run outside rush hour then this line instead of being 49 give it the 23 designation basically enhanced restructured 23 line is what this is.

Restructure middlesex line 986 merge it with old 980 eliminating it's DH time completely since it's based out of New brunswick.

MCAT M2 canned but replaced by select trips of CUSA 300 airport line via N brunswick transportation center.

Parts of M6/M2 canned by 619 via old trenton road then via M6 to M2 via jamesburg then stays on county road 615 then absorbs M7 partially via county rd 677 to directly to mid state mall the line is now a regional line with 8 zones or 6 I will calculate zone later. Improves connections between 815 and southern middlesex while getting rid of MCAT. 

Evening trips or last few and first can absorb M7 to south amboy. 619 can end in trenton. With other 600 trenton restructurings after I finish my trip through trenton I am planning. And finish conversation with some NJT peeps. Cause I did notice high turnover at trenton's sad excuse of a downtown. Meaning many people transfer alot there. The thing is between which routes?

.....Cause I did notice high turnover at trenton's sad excuse of a downtown. Meaning many people transfer alot there. The thing is between which routes?

Wait a second.... how do you come to the conclusion of high turnover if you don't even realize which routes they're coming off of.... If I see a crowd of people at a stop, I don't automatically assume high turnover..... I say that to say, I don't think it's is all that high out in Trenton (then again, it's all subjective).....

Anyway, at TTC (trenton transit center) itself, of course there's turnover b/w buses (including involving SEPTA's #127), but quite a bit of people that wait over there for the 600's (NJT) are also coming off SEPTA trains too.... you can't overlook that.

Edited by B35 via Church