NJT proposals/ideas thread 2012-2013

Not this 317/830 discussion again..... I'm still waiting for an answer to this question

Anyway:

1] You're not gonna get anymore riders on the 317 b/w [the greyhound terminal & PHL] than you would the current 317 b/w [Lakewood & Asbury Park], so there's not much of a point to truncating the route on one end & extending the route on the other end....

2] Providing public bus service b/w downtown philly & PHL is not NJT's problem anyway - Besides, there's already 30 min. rail service b/w downtown philly & PHL....

To sum it up, it's not sensical to extend the 830 to Lakewood for the sake of altering the 317 to have it serve PHL....

Err dude I kinda beat you to it. Already mentioned how redundant that is.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of these ideas are somethin else....the 317 to PHL *in the big sean voice* *oh god*

LOL no shit Sherlock LOL but you are a bit right I think this circus has gone on  long enough. What would you do to srorten or restructure the 317 for the better? I want to base my theories vs a bus op like yourself. 

As i stated in a post earlier, cut the 317 to camden and issue cts. Plain and simple. None of routing to out and beyond.

Lets be real here most ppl jump off in camden anyways. And the 1 or 2 ppl riding to philly is a waste of service. This is why i feel njt should take over patco. It would make things much easier in terms of xfering to/from bus/train.

• 3 weeks later...

do away with M branch merge route with C branch done. Looks like somebody doesn't know that decamp serves that area along with 77 well?

Edited by qjtransitmaster

do away with M branch merge route with C branch done. Looks like somebody doesn't know that decamp serves that area along with 77 well?

Most C are already merged with M trips.

I know they're there. But they don't serve the specific part my line is running across. DeCamp doesn't go on Park Ave, Northfield Road, or into Livingston Mall. They send their buses up through Nutley and the Clifton area to get to NYC. Plus I heard the folks taking the 77 weren't too happy with it.

Most C are already merged with M trips.

I know they're there. But they don't serve the specific part my line is running across. DeCamp doesn't go on Park Ave, Northfield Road, or into Livingston Mall. They send their buses up through Nutley and the Clifton area to get to NYC. Plus I heard the folks taking the 77 weren't too happy with it.

77 is also CUSA CUSA is not gonna make an almost identical route. this line is redundant to several others. just streamline 73 ohh fyi 41 is on park you know ppl switch to 73s. And NY bound part is useless as PATH and 108 are there most 108 riders go to union city from newark NOT NYC.

77 is also CUSA CUSA is not gonna make an almost identical route.this line is redundant to several others. just streamline 73 ohh fyi 41 is on park you know ppl switch to 73s. And NY bound part is useless as PATH and 108 are there most 108 riders go to union city from newark NOT NYC.

Yeah I know, but those are two different CUSAs. The 77 is Community Coach, my 109 is ONE (Elizabeth Garage). Plus, the 77 doesn't serve the mall full-time. Northfield Ave, yeah. But the mall, no. And I already said it. Those customers are having a hard time with the 77. Saying CUSA ONE and Community Coach are the same is like saying Howell and Hilton Garage are the same.

2nd bold part: I already knew the 41 was on Park. I don't think people want to transfer between buses like that when they could just take one.

That last part about the Newark-NYC section of the route isn't entirely true. It won't lose to the PATH because it's gonna run on Broad St, (Yeah some people are that lazy, And the chances of no one using it from there are as slim as my chances of getting a date with a Kardashian.) It won't lose to the 108 either because the 108 isn't very frequent. Plus it stops in Union City, and I'm sure people would like a nonstop to NYC from there, and they sure as hell aren't gonna get it from the 108 or PATH. Especially the 108 since I serves the Ironbound.

Yeah I know, but those are two different CUSAs. The 77 is Community Coach, my 109 is ONE (Elizabeth Garage). Plus, the 77 doesn't serve the mall full-time. Northfield Ave, yeah. But the mall, no. And I already said it. Those customers are having a hard time with the 77. Saying CUSA ONE and Community Coach are the same is like saying Howell and Hilton Garage are the same.

2nd bold part: I already knew the 41 was on Park. I don't think people want to transfer between buses like that when they could just take one.

That last part about the Newark-NYC section of the route isn't entirely true. It won't lose to the PATH because it's gonna run on Broad St, (Yeah some people are that lazy, And the chances of no one using it from there are as slim as my chances of getting a date with a Kardashian.) It won't lose to the 108 either because the 108 isn't very frequent. Plus it stops in Union City, and I'm sure people would like a nonstop to NYC from there, and they sure as hell aren't gonna get it from the 108 or PATH. Especially the 108 since I serves the Ironbound.

good just extend the 41 done. No need for a route that copies several others at once nice try those who truly hate 77 use 73 to NJT rail. Your argument is not so formiddable. Or PATH look over that area the 108 can be enhanced if frequency is a problem. IF non stop nyc newark service was needed 108's NY bound ridership would be higher most ny bound folks board at union city. sorry about the reputation. Edited by qjtransitmaster

good just extend the 41 done. No need for a route that copies several others at once nice try those who truly hate 77 use 73 to NJT rail. Your argument is not so formidable.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Or PATH look over that area the 108 can be enhanced if frequency is a problem. IF non stop nyc newark service was needed 108's NY bound ridership would be higher most ny bound folks board at union city.

My god..... It's like I have to say it a million times.

NOBODY WANTS TO TRANSFER WHEN THEY USE MASS TRANSIT.

There are multiple reasons why people won't waste their time taking two modes of transport. So I'm gonna list em' for you.

-You have to pay twice. Plus in most cases it's exact fare. No one wants to carry $1.50 in exact change with them and have to worry about counting it when the second bus arrives. And not everyone owns a Monthly pass.

-In some cases, the time to make a transfer is about an hour. And lets be real, you aren't gonna get off one bus and the next one is gonna be sitting there waiting for you or show up 2 minutes later.

-If you're in the 77 riders' shoes you probably have to be at work on time. And taking the 73 to the train sure as hell won't get you there on time since trains tend to skip that stop during rush hour.

-Some people just don't have the time or patience for it.

-WEATHER. This is one real good reason why no one wants to deal with xfering between buses. If it's -5 degrees outside, no one is gonna freeze their ass off waiting for a second bus to show up.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

See here's the thing, Hilton only has so many buses. One time they were so short that they had to put a Suburban NABI on the 52 because they didn't have enough Transits. You can't boost the 108's frequency without available buses. And since Hilton serves one of the busiest areas in NJ, there aren't many buses available. And I don't think the Hilton drivers are gonna have a party about having to take an Articulated on the 108.

There are multiple reasons why people won't waste their time taking two modes of transport. So I'm gonna list em' for you.

-You have to pay twice. Plus in most cases it's exact fare. No one wants to carry $1.50 in exact change with them and have to worry about counting it when the second bus arrives. And not everyone owns a Monthly pass.

-In some cases, the time to make a transfer is about an hour. And lets be real, you aren't gonna get off one bus and the next one is gonna be sitting there waiting for you or show up 2 minutes later.

-If you're in the 77 riders' shoes you probably have to be at work on time. And taking the 73 to the train sure as hell won't get you there on time since trains tend to skip that stop during rush hour.

-WEATHER. This is one real good reason why no one wants to deal with xfering between buses. If it's -5 degrees outside, no one is gonna freeze their ass off waiting for a second bus to show up.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

See here's the thing, Hilton only has so many buses. One time they were so short that they had to put a Suburban NABI on the 52 because they didn't have enough Transits. You can't boost the 108's frequency without available buses. And since Hilton serves one of the busiest areas in NJ, there aren't many buses available. And I don't think the Hilton drivers are gonna have a party about having to take an Articulated on the 108.

73 reaches other stations NICE try. 41 can be extended nice try how many people switch between 73 and 41 to warrant this. Again if they are going to NY this route is too indirect they WILL NOT USE IT. Plus many NJT bus riders have PASSES. Please come up with a modification to an existing route to close gaps or speed up travel time without creating a new route that copies so many lines ok is that too hard?

If 108 needs more service and hilton doesn't have enough buses SPLIT IT WITH ANOTHER GARAGE GENIUS.

73 reaches other stations NICE try. 41 can be extended nice try how many people switch between 73 and 41 to warrant this. Again if they are going to NY this route is too indirect they WILL NOT USE IT. Plus many NJT bus riders have PASSES. Please come up with a modification to an existing route to close gaps or speed up travel time without creating a new route that copies so many lines ok is that too hard?

If 108 needs more service and hilton doesn't have enough buses SPLIT IT WITH ANOTHER GARAGE GENIUS.

You know what. Screw it. I've had it with you.

Look at your 55x series lines if you use the logic you used behind those you would improve. Look at that wilmington AC via rte 40 not gonna lie I had a similar idea years ago. Plus I had to drop my 320 plan earlier due to the fact that NJT is restricted from running NY bound buses in morris as I was told by NJT staff and academy. The contracts are neogotiated by. The state determines terms of contracts and if some are split. Ask NJT or academy bus operators and others will tell you the same thing. As a result many of my first draft ideas were dropped after learning more about what NJT and the contract carriers.

short on buses?? on Hilton??? not true, maybe they had buses that just pulled in the garage from AM to layover there for the PM shift, and/or maintenance. that garage is never short of buses, maybe short on drivers?? another thing about a Suburban NABI on the 52, thats like saying seeing a Nova on the 13, 39, 107, or 108. not rare but random. 

about the 108 yes it serves the Ironbound(my birthplace) but i hardly saw people boarding it along Market St and Ferry St. That doesnt mean to cut service along there since there are some factories near NJT Ferry St Training Facility that people work at from Union City...

I was looking at the 111 schedule (Its basically a shuttle from NY to Ikea and Jersey Gardens, hence the reverse peak schedule, don't explain this to me when I say the following because I already know this), and I was looking at the schedule to NYC, and I was thinking, service to New York Should Start earlier.

On Weekdays, I would start bus service to NYC at 12:06 PM, at 11:06 AM on Saturdays, and at 12:06 PM on Sundays.

I would also modify bus service on the 111 as follows

I would make the 9:07 out of PABT leave at 8:45 AM. The 111 instead would have 20 minute service to IKEA instead of 15, so buses would leave PABT at 9:15, 9:35, 9:55, 10:15, and then every 30 minutes as scheduled until 11:15 AM, then its regular schedule to 4:15 PM.

Saturday Service IMO I would give 20 minute headways during the early AM to IKEA.

Sunday Service I would make the headways every 30 minutes instead of 20 minutes during the early AM.

Now, to PABT

On Saturdays, I would eliminate the 8:36 and 9:36 PM buses, and put in a new 9:06 PM trip to maintain uniform headways.

WOAH I like these 110 why not call it 118? best ones so far.

lmao.....

I was looking at the 111 schedule (Its basically a shuttle from NY to Ikea and Jersey Gardens, hence the reverse peak schedule, don't explain this to me when I say the following because I already know this), and I was looking at the schedule to NYC, and I was thinking, service to New York Should Start earlier.

On Weekdays, I would start bus service to NYC at 12:06 PM, at 11:06 AM on Saturdays, and at 12:06 PM on Sundays.

You can say you don't want anything explained to you all you want - Doesn't change the fact that the masses aren't coming from the mall around noon on weekdays & definitely not around 11am on saturdays.... What you're suggesting with this is a waste of resources.... NJT is on the ball with starting those first buses back to PABT around the 1pm slot.....

Hey guys I was thinking NJT could redesign their bus stops to look like these? My proposal lines for Route 35 North were used. All lines are fictional (hopefully they won't be in the future lol) except the 817.

**picture**

Not a bad design on your part.....

As for the current bus stops, I just wish that the letters on them were larger; tough to see them from a distance....

IKEA runs its own PABT shuttle buses. And they're free. So what is the ridership base for weekend 111 service?

•On Saturdays and Sundays, the free IKEA Elizabeth(round trip only) shuttle bus, operates out of the Port Authority Terminal located in New York City, at Eighth Ave and 42nd St. Buses will depart from Gate #5 on the lower concourse near Academy Bus line. 
•Departures are on the half hour with service available on Saturdays & Sundays between 10:00am - 2:30pm. 
•Return trips are also on the half hour with service available from noon to 6:00pm.