NJT proposals/ideas thread 2012-2013

Came across this on NJT's facebook page, RE Staten Islandnjtsuggestion_zps72844ebf.jpg

Huh for asbury to Bricktown let Em use S56 to academy at cheasequake park and ride. Parsippany to west shore plaza let 52 extend both ends ok who am I kidding that is just WOW.

^^ Dunellen to Bricktown.... Asbury to Bricktown.... Parsippany to West Shore plaza????

What the f***.....

err I fried my brain trying to understand that. Nothing Like that is in any proposals I have.

he's also the same person that suggested NICE buses to go to the Bronx (the n21).

That is something MTA should handle indirectly. Which was part of the reasons behind my Q51 co-op plan. Edited by qjtransitmaster

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if i was the president or ceo of Njtransit , i would enforce all bus contractor to put in the clever device that tell you where they are on their route. i was riding the academy last night and it was hard to tell where i am unless i look out the front window from the aisle.

lol orion VII would like that.. but i kind of agree  how would you set it? i would set to where it spouts off each stop and transfer points but i would not it have it spout off every single street it crosses.

if i was the president or ceo of Njtransit , i would enforce all bus contractor to put in the clever device that tell you where they are on their route. i was riding the academy last night and it was hard to tell where i am unless i look out the front window from the aisle.

The contractors are getting them installed, PBLs directly, no. Academy has them on a few buses due to the 139 contract work but they aren't programmed for their own routes. All the NABIs have them as well but do nothing on PBL routes, though I suppose if they wanted them programmed the PBLs could call Clever Devices and have them programmed at their expense.

i wasnt referring to 139 routes. i was referring long branch routes and possibly other routes like point pleasant rt 35 to wall street etc. They are all owned by NJT or PA and leased to Academy 

Yeah, I know, I was just saying how only a few Academy buses have them and only because of the 139. Academy has MCIs both owned by NJT and owned directly. If they wanted to install/program CDs on all the buses they'd have to do it with their own money, and most people know where they're going anyway so they probably won't do it.

Just one new route for now:

809- Perth Amboy-Edison via Menlo Park Mall & US 1:https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=208174968748802406451.0004de71c263df7ad8d02&msa=0

Honestly, I strongly believe I could've done more with this one. Anyway the main point of this route was to make the connection between Perth Amboy, Menlo Park Mall & Edison more direct. Currently, one would have to take two buses to reach Menlo from Perth.

Another thing I want to do is start a petition for NJT to put the fabric seat covers back on the newer NABIs. While I like the Multilevel style seats, I feel as if they're too bland.

809- Perth Amboy-Edison via Menlo Park Mall & US 1:https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=208174968748802406451.0004de71c263df7ad8d02&msa=0

Honestly, I strongly believe I could've done more with this one. Anyway the main point of this route was to make the connection between Perth Amboy, Menlo Park Mall & Edison more direct. Currently, one would have to take two buses to reach Menlo from Perth.

Another thing I want to do is start a petition for NJT to put the fabric seat covers back on the newer NABIs. While I like the Multilevel style seats, I feel as if they're too bland.

you know how loaded the 814 is.

you know how loaded the 814 is.

Where did that come from? The 814 goes nowhere near this line.

Modify the 68 select rush trips rerouted to operate via MCAT M2's routing replacing M2 68 gains full-time service with hourly headways but service span remains unchanged. as in evening service goes weekend service is questionable.

If you're talking about sending the 68 to Jamesburg just to kill off MCAT, then that isn't gonna fly. You'd be better off just making a new local bus line out of it because the 811 would be taken so far out of it's way (if you were to go with the option of sending it there), and people who use the 68/138 would get their commutes messed up (and don't say their commutes wouldn't be affected, because sending a route that serves South Old Bridge and the Route 18 corridor primarily to Jamesburg just to kill off a paratransit line is just plain ridiculous). Even if you send select trips there, those people who rely on that one bus to be @ work on time are gonna get to work late because they have to wait for the next bus to show up. The idea of making the 68 full-time I agree with, it's time some other bus besides Coach USA saw service at that Bus Terminal along '18 during the weekends.

809 - Perth Amboy-Edison via Menlo Park Mall & US 1:

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=208174968748802406451.0004de71c263df7ad8d02&msa=0

On the contrary, I think you should've done less....

The eastern portion of the route (perth - menlo park mall via fords) I like....

Past Menlo Park mall though (the US 1 portion), I wouldn't bother with.... I'd just have it paralleling the 810 to Metuchen RR & call it a day..

Putting it another way, I would just take the eastern portion of your route & have that be some sort of variant of the 813 (b/w metuchen RR & Perth Amboy)... Could still call it the 809 if you want, since it would serve that shopping area around rt 9/rt 184 & serve fords towards menlo park mall as well (which the current 813 doesn't do)....

So from Metuchen RR, you would have your 809 & the 810 running to Menlo Park mall.... from Menlo park, you would have service towards New Brunswick RR (810) or Metuchen RR (my [suggested] alteration to your 809).... If potential riders (b/w menlo park & metuchen RR) need service towards Woodbridge mall, they can take 810's... If they need perth, they can take 809's or the 813....

Where did that come from? The 814 goes nowhere near this line.

If you're talking about sending the 68 to Jamesburg just to kill off MCAT, then that isn't gonna fly. You'd be better off just making a new local bus line out of it because the 811 would be taken so far out of it's way (if you were to go with the option of sending it there), and people who use the 68/138 would get their commutes messed up (and don't say their commutes wouldn't be affected, because sending a route that serves South Old Bridge and the Route 18 corridor primarily to Jamesburg just to kill off a paratransit line is just plain ridiculous). Even if you send select trips there, those people who rely on that one bus to be @ work on time are gonna get to work late because they have to wait for the next bus to show up. The idea of making the 68 full-time I agree with, it's time some other bus besides Coach USA saw service at that Bus Terminal along '18 during the weekends.

paratransit nope it is more a shuttle to supposedly close NJT coverage gaps. 68 is mostly park and ride folks so those that usually drive to the bus who live within walking distance of M2 would not have to drive. And the others may end up driving to the park and ride served would still have 68 based on structure it may not affect those north of Brunswick sq mall. Plus since that 516 area is closer to the 64/63 anyway they are more likely to use 64/63. By the way 68 needs weekend service really? What evidence supports this?

Ohh I never mentioned anything about 811 dude. However I did use 814 and damn it was CRUSHED I was wondering how much service it really needs.

Edited by qjtransitmaster

Past Menlo Park mall though (the US 1 portion), I wouldn't bother with.... I'd just have it paralleling the 810 to Metuchen RR & call it a day..

Putting it another way, I would just take the eastern portion of your route & have that be some sort of variant of the 813 (b/w metuchen RR & Perth Amboy)... Could still call it the 809 if you want, since it would serve that shopping area around rt 9/rt 184 & serve fords towards menlo park mall as well (which the current 813 doesn't do)....

So from Metuchen RR, you would have your 809 & the 810 running to Menlo Park mall.... from Menlo park, you would have service towards New Brunswick RR (810) or Metuchen RR (my [suggested] alteration to your 809).... If potential riders (b/w menlo park & metuchen RR) need service towards Woodbridge mall, they can take 810's... If they need perth, they can take 809's or the 813....

that would bastardize it

I prefer to go with the 2nd option because it makes more sense to do that. I actually just revised it so the 813 is shown to no longer go to Metuchen, but go straight to the college. If anyone on New Brunswick Ave (West of Convery, East of Woodbridge Ave) needs Metuchen, they can take the 813 to Woodbridge Ave and transfer to the 809 'M' variant. Here it is if you'd like to see for yourself https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=208174968748802406451.0004de71c263df7ad8d02&msa=0&ll=40.529491,-74.302597&spn=0.026649,0.055747

paratransit nope it is more a shuttle to supposedly close NJT coverage gaps. 68 is mostly park and ride folks so those that usually drive to the bus who live within walking distance of M2 would not have to drive. And the others may end up driving to the park and ride served would still have 68 based on structure it may not affect those north of Brunswick sq mall since that 516 area is closer to the 64/63 anyway. By the way 68 needs weekend service? What evidence supports this?

You can call it whatever you want. If it runs with small cutaway buses, I'm automatically considering it paratransit.

The 68 doesn't need weekend service, but I think it would benefit from it. See here's the thing, if the 68 were to get weekend service, it would be running the same hours as the 67 would on weekends (every 2 hours). That's mainly because no one is trying to get to Jersey City on the weekends, many of those people want New York instead. I guess if you were to run the 68 on the weekends, you'd probably get a few riders from Route 516 or Route 18 who were gonna play it cheap and take the 68 to Newport for the PATH into NYC. As for evidence that it would need the extra service, you would have to go and ask people in Old Bridge and East Brunswick if they would use the service offered. And when I say that, I mean have NJ Transit send out a questionnaire to get people's thoughts before they make any service changes. That would go for all lines that are subject to major changes to the route. I had planned on doing that with my proposed routes, but I won't go off on an tangent about it.

that would bastardize it

How so?

I prefer to go with the 2nd option because it makes more sense to do that. I actually just revised it so the 813 is shown to no longer go to Metuchen, but go straight to the college. If anyone on New Brunswick Ave (West of Convery, East of Woodbridge Ave) needs Metuchen, they can take the 813 to Woodbridge Ave and transfer to the 809 'M' variant.

Here it is if you'd like to see for yourself https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=208174968748802406451.0004de71c263df7ad8d02&msa=0&ll=40.529491,-74.302597&spn=0.026649,0.055747

lol... Wasn't aware I posted a 2nd option? That was all one routing suggestion in that post....

Anyway, your revised version of my suggestion works too..... I like it (the blue line I'm referring to).....

I'm looking at your 813 revision.... You don't have to edit this (linked) map or anything, but what would you have serving raritan center then?

(if you already have a prior idea of a route that would serve raritan center in this thread, just remind me by posting the link...)

I prefer to go with the 2nd option because it makes more sense to do that. I actually just revised it so the 813 is shown to no longer go to Metuchen, but go straight to the college. If anyone on New Brunswick Ave (West of Convery, East of Woodbridge Ave) needs Metuchen, they can take the 813 to Woodbridge Ave and transfer to the 809 'M' variant. Here it is if you'd like to see for yourself https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=208174968748802406451.0004de71c263df7ad8d02&msa=0&ll=40.529491,-74.302597&spn=0.026649,0.055747

You can call it whatever you want. If it runs with small cutaway buses, I'm automatically considering it paratransit.

The 68 doesn't need weekend service, but I think it would benefit from it. See here's the thing, if the 68 were to get weekend service, it would be running the same hours as the 67 would on weekends (every 2 hours). That's mainly because no one is trying to get to Jersey City on the weekends, many of those people want New York instead. I guess if you were to run the 68 on the weekends, you'd probably get a few riders from Route 516 or Route 18 who were gonna play it cheap and take the 68 to Newport for the PATH into NYC. As for evidence that it would need the extra service, you would have to go and ask people in Old Bridge and East Brunswick if they would use the service offered. And when I say that, I mean have NJ Transit send out a questionnaire to get people's thoughts before they make any service changes. That would go for all lines that are subject to major changes to the route. I had planned on doing that with my proposed routes, but I won't go off on an tangent about it.

digging the change to 813 nice. In reality MCAT charges extra for deviation and that is better done with dial a bus than fixed route. MCAT lines technically aren't paratransit they use cutaways due to their service area. Edited by qjtransitmaster

How so?

lol... Wasn't aware I posted a 2nd option? That was all one routing suggestion in that post....

Anyway, your revised version of my suggestion works too..... I like it (the blue line I'm referring to).....

I'm looking at your 813 revision.... You don't have to edit this (linked) map or anything, but what would you have serving raritan center then?

(if you already have a prior idea of a route that would serve raritan center in this thread, just remind me by posting the link...)

It's still gonna serve Raritan Center, I forgot to put it in there when I was drawing it up (basically because it doesn't stick out as much MCC).

Just let MCAT live, QJ. You'll make so many commutes unreliable or uneasy if you do it that way. For rides MCAT is a lifeline, don't screw it up.

nope they would get a more frequent service and buses that reach more destinations and easier connections. A service that won't cut off at 3 pm and be useful to commuters and those who use MCAT would still have their bus and MCAT dial a ride will remain unchanged or get enhanced. And it would mean less strain on park and rides as well. You know next to nothing about NJ bus service and how lines are used. You have no case in this part of the forum. Same with west milford shuttle they would get the 197 instead that is daily not 3 days a week. Do away with scoot peak and 611/605 can take the route easily.

Anyone here know the NJT 71 how it is used ect how many riders originate from newark penn and areas east of erie loop?

why ask? are u gonna enhance it, make it go farther than it originally goes? if that route is still rolling, why bother with it? and for your answer the 71 does not pick up passengers to/from Newark Penn all the way to/from Erie Loop, or so it states (thats what the 21 is for)

Just let MCAT live, QJ. You'll make so many commutes unreliable or uneasy if you do it that way. For rides MCAT is a lifeline, don't screw it up.

Thank you. NJT has enough problems on their hands, if a county wants to run its own buses let them. Could it use improvement? Yeah, but that doesn't mean NJT has to get involved.

nope they would get a more frequent service and buses that reach more destinations and easier connections. A service that won't cut off at 3 pm and be useful to commuters and those who use MCAT would still have their bus and MCAT dial a ride will remain unchanged or get enhanced. And it would mean less strain on park and rides as well. You know next to nothing about NJ bus service and how lines are used. You have no case in this part of the forum. Same with west milford shuttle they would get the 197 instead that is daily not 3 days a week. Do away with scoot peak and 611/605 can take the route easily.

OK, I'm gonna say this again, in basically all of MCAT's service area, no one is taking or wants to take the bus to the train. People drive here, this isn't the city. Even if the bus was right outside their house they'd still drive and park in the park and ride.

why ask? are u gonna enhance it, make it go farther than it originally goes? if that route is still rolling, why bother with it? and for your answer the 71 does not pick up passengers to/from Newark Penn all the way to/from Erie Loop, or so it states (thats what the 21 is for)

I meant from newark penn to areas west of erie loop.

Thank you. NJT has enough problems on their hands, if a county wants to run its own buses let them. Could it use improvement? Yeah, but that doesn't mean NJT has to get involved.

OK, I'm gonna say this again, in basically all of MCAT's service area, no one is taking or wants to take the bus to the train. People drive here, this isn't the city. Even if the bus was right outside their house they'd still drive and park in the park and ride.

the fact it runs like shit ain't helping starting at 8 am ending at 3 pm isn't going to attract any commuters period they get off work at 3pm and need to report at 8 am go figure. FYI MCAT was started by NJT's shuttle program themselves and gets all funding through NJT even buses from NJT. I am not proposing bus to train over there not even close. LOL at bold yeah sure. still have no clue ehh fine I will state what I am really getting at. M6 gets eaten by 600 which absorbs some of the M6 up to old trenton road then to exit 8A park and ride to old bridge via cranbury road and rte 516 via brunswick sq mall timed with 818 trips and 68 trips there. Timed with 811 as well. Split with academy and NJT mercer. 600 truncated at quaker bridge mall use new 611 for trenton service 611 merges with parts of 605 and absorbs SCOOT peak connecting hillsborough to job sites on both sides of it's route. This 611 will take a more direct route to princeton university from quaker bridge it will time with the 600 at the mall.

Nevermind about the 600 I need to ride that line soon and see the stronger segment on it.

In orange is that why the M6's ridership is low? do people not use it to the train?

Edited by qjtransitmaster

I meant from newark penn to areas west of erie loop.

the fact it runs like shit ain't helping starting at 8 am ending at 3 pm isn't going to attract any commuters period they get off work at 3pm and need to report at 8 am go figure. FYI MCAT was started by NJT's shuttle program themselves and gets all funding through NJT even buses from NJT. I am not proposing bus to train over there not even close. LOL at bold yeah sure. still have no clue ehh fine I will state what I am really getting at. M6 gets eaten by 600 which absorbs some of the M6 up to old trenton road then to exit 8A park and ride to old bridge via cranbury road and rte 516 via brunswick sq mall timed with 818 trips and 68 trips there. Timed with 811 as well. Split with academy and NJT mercer. 600 truncated at quaker bridge mall use new 611 for trenton service 611 merges with parts of 605 and absorbs SCOOT peak connecting hillsborough to job sites on both sides of it's route. This 611 will take a more direct route to princeton university from quaker bridge it will time with the 600 at the mall.

Nevermind about the 600 I need to ride that line soon and see the stronger segment on it.

In orange is that why the M6's ridership is low? do people not use it to the train?

Actually he's right. The people who use the train or bus from a P&R normally drive or use taxis to get there. The thing with people around here is, they'll use a local bus (and the Route 9 buses on some occasions) to commute locally. You'll rarely see someone use a bus to go to the train. I for one have only used the bus to the train once, and that was when I missed the last 817 back to Aberdeen (you can thank the 817's crappy weekend schedule for that) and had to catch a train from South Amboy (and that wasn't my original plan either, but the train was the only shot I had at getting home). Anyway, yeah most people down here aren't gonna use a bus to go to the train station/park & ride, even if it stopped on their street.

Edited by Transitkid4608