NJT proposals/ideas thread 2012-2013

Actually he's right. The people who use the train or bus from a P&R normally drive or use taxis to get there. The thing with people around here is, they'll use a local bus (and the Route 9 buses on some occasions) to commute locally. You'll rarely see someone use a bus to go to the train. I for one have only used the bus to the train once, and that was when I missed the last 817 back to Aberdeen (you can thank the 817's crappy weekend schedule for that) and had to catch a train from South Amboy (and that wasn't my original plan either, but the train was the only shot I had at getting home). Anyway, yeah most people down here aren't gonna use a bus to go to the train station/park & ride, even if it stopped on their street.

Typical suburban transportation usage.... You won't see people taking buses to rails in any consistent, significant showing.... Large in part why local bus service (in general) in suburban areas tend to suck.... It's the frame of mind - Commuter services are far more prevalent & clamored for.... What I will give NJT credit for, is how they effectively combine commuter service with local service - that's not easily done (easily, as in, to the point where you'll get long distance commuters to even embark on the same service of that which is ridden by local riders).....

But standalone local services in suburban areas are hardly clamored for on a large scale.... Worse, patrons of passing towns don't even know, or care to know of an existing service even existing! And I'm talking of those that has resided in said towns for decades..... In urban areas (lol), it's the exact opposite - forget forgotten, a local bus running through a particular neighborhood can give that neighborhood an "identity" (so to speak)....

To sum it up (to use an example), the route 9 services (#139, etc) are just as heralded by those that live in all the towns it serves, as that ole (#1) down in Newark for the people of Newark.....

Edited by B35 via Church

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually he's right. The people who use the train or bus from a P&R normally drive or use taxis to get there. The thing with people around here is, they'll use a local bus (and the Route 9 buses on some occasions) to commute locally. You'll rarely see someone use a bus to go to the train. I for one have only used the bus to the train once, and that was when I missed the last 817 back to Aberdeen (you can thank the 817's crappy weekend schedule for that) and had to catch a train from South Amboy (and that wasn't my original plan either, but the train was the only shot I had at getting home). Anyway, yeah most people down here aren't gonna use a bus to go to the train station/park & ride, even if it stopped on their street.

I guess the 600 is an exception then I saw enough people coming off NEC trains filling up the 600 to the gills it was packed on the northbound trips I was kinda shocked WTF. My plan replaces MCAT with commuter lines in many cases once you see the 3rd phase greed you will know what I mean. Yes new lines to connect to Hudson county areas via different parts of SI usually making 1 or 2 SI lines they would have 300 series designations some will replace 810 & 814 and add 30 min service to boot.

Came across this on NJT's facebook page, RE Staten Island

njtsuggestion_zps72844ebf.jpg

I am seriously scratching my head at this one and thinking about it will keep me up all night.

I would like to see the 10 being extended one for one Staten Island stop at Richmond/Forest for starters.

• 2 weeks later...

NJT 839 Laurence Harbor - Middletown: https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=208174968748802406451.0004e0431746b511919e3&msa=0&ll=40.424147,-74.200587&spn=0.026691,0.055747

Drawing up some "South of Raritan" Middlesex routes atm since the North is pretty much covered at this point. Most of those SoR lines are gonna involve linking Monmouth & Middlesex counties.

NJT 839 Laurence Harbor - Middletown: https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=208174968748802406451.0004e0431746b511919e3&msa=0&ll=40.424147,-74.200587&spn=0.026691,0.055747

Drawing up some "South of Raritan" Middlesex routes atm since the North is pretty much covered at this point. Most of those SoR lines are gonna involve linking Monmouth & Middlesex counties.

and where will the $$$ and resources come from? yes I do actually kinda like this route sort of. why not link it to south brunswick via rte 516?

and where will the $$$ and resources come from? yes I do actually kinda like this route sort of. why not link it to south brunswick via rte 516?

I think we've already been over where the $$$ will come from, if you're talking about the buses, grants from the feds will be given out for 40-foot New Flyer Xcelsiors.

South Brunswick is too out of the way for this line. This line is going to be along the NJ-35 corridor for the most part. The only way you can link it to South Brunswick is to create a whole new line to do it, but it won't be on CR-516 because my 807 has that road already.

Edited by Transitkid4608

I think we've already been over where the $$$ will come from, if you're talking about the buses, grants from the feds will be given out for 40-foot New Flyer Xcelsiors.

South Brunswick is too out of the way for this line. This line is going to be along the NJ-35 corridor for the most part. The only way you can link it to South Brunswick is to create a whole new line to do it, but it won't be on CR-516 because my 807 has that road already.

too many different lines have a rye 34 bus do Lawrence harbor from Hudson county. The regional line can have 305 designation. That 839 can however devour a segment of 834 while upgraded 819 can run on the 35 straight to red bank via extension that takes over 813 portion to Raritan center then via GSP from there to reach cheasequake park and ride the bus goes onto the 35 afterwards. Academy can do away with that 35 service it only has 3 trips allow passes accross to crosshonor on intrastate buses.

You know how the feds gonna approve that?

Edited by qjtransitmaster

Too many different lines, have a Route 34 bus do Laurence Harbor from Hudson County. The regional line can have 305 designation. That 839 can however devour a segment of 834, while upgraded 819 can run on '35 straight to Red Bank via extension that takes over 813 portion to Raritan Center then via GSP from there to reach Cheesequake Park and Ride the bus goes onto '35 afterwards. Academy can do away with that '35 service it only has 3 trips allow passes to cross honor on intrastate buses.

You know how the feds are gonna approve that?

Too many different lines? There's only one that I'm talking about, unless you mean me mentioning the 807.

Unless that was a typo and you meant to say Route 35 from Laurence Harbor to Hudson County, I have line proposed to do that already. It's called the 60.

But if you really meant to say have a line use Route 34 to Hudson County, it's not gonna serve Laurence Harbor because it's not along Route 34.

This new "upgraded" 819 of yours ain't gonna get any riders the way you have it running. No one is trying to go from Plainfield - Raritan Center - Red Bank no matter how you map it. Most of the folks living around my neck of the woods either have their main destinations to be beaches South of Sea Bright or NYC, no one is trying to go out to Plainfield or Raritan Center by bus. I don't mean to sound harsh, but this sounds like you platformed your idea off of mine (a technique of yours that's seemed to piss a lot of people off here).

As for gettind rid of Academy's Route 35 service, I'm right now drawing up a route that would replace it and be run by NJT. I've always thought NJT would be better off doing the interstate operations along the Route 35/36 corridor. They would get many more riders if they extended the lines down to Belmar since the majority of Central Jersey folk seem to want Belmar during the summer.

Too many different lines? There's only one that I'm talking about, unless you mean me mentioning the 807.

Unless that was a typo and you meant to say Route 35 from Laurence Harbor to Hudson County, I have line proposed to do that already. It's called the 60.

But if you really meant to say have a line use Route 34 to Hudson County, it's not gonna serve Laurence Harbor because it's not along Route 34.

This new "upgraded" 819 of yours ain't gonna get any riders the way you have it running. No one is trying to go from Plainfield - Raritan Center - Red Bank no matter how you map it. Most of the folks living around my neck of the woods either have their main destinations to be beaches South of Sea Bright or NYC, no one is trying to go out to Plainfield or Raritan Center by bus. I don't mean to sound harsh, but this sounds like you platformed your idea off of mine (a technique of yours that's seemed to piss a lot of people off here).

As for gettind rid of Academy's Route 35 service, I'm right now drawing up a route that would replace it and be run by NJT. I've always thought NJT would be better off doing the interstate operations along the Route 35/36 corridor. They would get many more riders if they extended the lines down to Belmar since the majority of Central Jersey folk seem to want Belmar during the summer.

good have 61 do it and go to point pleasant via rte 34 via parts of 830. That feeder can be the extended 835 to make it useful NJT lines are nowhere near as delay prone as NYCT lines your useing NYCT style for jersey your forgetting that NJT has no tier for their bus lines. Meaning no closed door nonsense. Plainfield to red bank via Raritan center absorbs 813's segment and links central new jersey to Raritan center 819 needs the trip generator you are too limited in your approach. And route 35 gets buses to boot. Cross connector lines will reduce operating costs by merging otherwise isolated bus lines and merging the ridership and gets new riders between points. Plus that upgraded 819 connects to buses that do go to sea bright rendering your argument dead. That idea I had for years.

This thread bores me it seems you seem to be the only no guy here I think I will just step out and map em all and let this thread gather dust.

Edited by qjtransitmaster

good have 61 do it and go to point pleasant via rte 34 via parts of 830. That feeder can be the extended 835 to make it useful NJT lines are nowhere near as delay prone as NYCT lines your useing NYCT style for jersey your forgetting that NJT has no tier for their bus lines. Meaning no closed door nonsense. Plainfield to red bank via Raritan center absorbs 813's segment and links central new jersey to Raritan center 819 needs the trip generator you are too limited in your approach. And route 35 gets buses to boot. Cross connector lines will reduce operating costs by merging otherwise isolated bus lines and merging the ridership and gets new riders between points. Plus that upgraded 819 connects to buses that do go to sea bright rendering your argument dead. That idea I had for years.

This thread bores me it seems you seem to be the only no guy here I think I will just step out and map em all and let this thread gather dust.

This thread ain't gonna die, you'll get some peeps over here who want to release some proposals they've had.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Anyone else thinks the Monticlair- Booton Line should run to Monticlair State University on the Weekends. The current terminal at Bay Street seems rather random (what's the point of running the line on the weekends then). At least at the State University, you'll get more riders. There would be no increase in sets of trains needed. The trip would be 53 minutes (instead of 38 minutes) now. There would have to be a bit of rescheduling in the direction towards Hoboken, however there would be more riders (especially students) benefiting from the extension. There's like a 6-10 minute layover at Newark, so each run will have a total 13 minute layover per hour.

Edited by Q23 Central Terminal