NJT proposals/ideas thread 2012-2013

I think the #78 & #108 could be combined if restructured the right way. When you mentioned a Newark-Secaucus-Union City route, I looked at the map to see how the #78 currently serves Secaucus and was just like, wow lol.

I think a combined #78/108 should get off the turnpike at Secaucus Junction, take County Avenue-Metro Way-Enterprise Avenue-Secaucus Road-County Avenue-Paterson Plank Road. For anybody looking to travel to the western part of Secaucus they can transfer to the #2/124/129/329 (whatever happens to be running at the time, since the #329 looks like it covers the southern part of Secaucus when the #129 doesn't run).

While we're at it, I wonder if there's a way to restructure the #2 bus. It sucks the way you have to loop around the entire city of Secaucus to reach the NJT station (or walk a few blocks along the industrial road to get to the NJT station from where it first enters Secaucus). I know there's a few trips that bypass the northern section of Secaucus, but still.

Lol @ you thinking that it sucks that the #2 loops around Secaucus to get to the RR station & me thinking that what sucks about the #78 is that it loops around Secaucus to end at the UPS facility....

From Newark, the #78 is a route that loses about 1/2 of its riders after serving Harmon Meadow... Most riders are off the bus by time it hits Secaucus Junction (with a meager amount of intra-Secaucus ridership short of that point), then a new riderbase piles on for access to the rest of business industrial/rugged industrial Secaucus.... I don't know the history of the route, but it seems as if it's a result of a merge of two former routes/portions of former routes.... In any case, my gripe is that the #78 is woefully inefficient after serving Harmon Meadow - for starters, it doesn't need to serve Meadowlands Pkwy north of American IMO.... I wouldn't have it stopping at Harmon Cove either, really....

This is what I think the #78 should be doing (point 'B' is where the route loops to double back along Metro Way)...

From secaucus junction, the AM buses can still feasibly dive back on the turnpike, en route to heading over to JG to do a trip on the #40 & what not)

The #2 routing I have no problems with at all, as it's supposed to be a local route... That 2R is the equivalent of a LTD....

The variant that serves the mail center I've never managed to catch, so IDK how well that variant is used....

Getting to/from Secaucus Junction isn't (or doesn't seem to be) too big a priority for riders on the route... It's a far larger priority to/for needing to serve JSQ....

As far as combining the #78 & the #108, that's tough; an industrial commuter merged with a city commuter... Knowing what & how both routes are used, I can't say I agree that should happen.... What I'm thinking with a Union City-Secaucus-Newark route is a 3-4 zone intrastate route.... Can't think of anywhere to terminate such a route on the Union City end though....

Edited by B35 via Church

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lol @ you thinking that it sucks that the #2 loops around Secaucus to get to the RR station & me thinking that what sucks about the #78 is that it loops around Secaucus to end at the UPS facility....

From Newark, the #78 is a route that loses about 1/2 of its riders after serving Harmon Meadow... Most riders are off the bus by time it hits Secaucus Junction (with a meager amount of intra-Secaucus ridership short of that point), then a new riderbase piles on for access to the rest of business industrial/rugged industrial Secaucus.... I don't know the history of the route, but it seems as if it's a result of a merge of two former routes/portions of former routes.... In any case, my gripe is that the #78 is woefully inefficient after serving Harmon Meadow - for starters, it doesn't need to serve Meadowlands Pkwy north of American IMO.... I wouldn't have it stopping at Harmon Cove either, really....

This is what I think the #78 should be doing (point 'B' is where the route loops to double back along Metro Way)...

From secaucus junction, the AM buses can still feasibly dive back on the turnpike, en route to heading over to JG to do a trip on the #40 & what not)

The #2 routing I have no problems with at all, as it's supposed to be a local route... That 2R is the equivalent of a LTD....

The variant that serves the mail center I've never managed to catch, so IDK how well that variant is used....

Getting to/from Secaucus Junction isn't (or doesn't seem to be) too big a priority for riders on the route... It's a far larger priority to/for needing to serve JSQ....

As far as combining the #78 & the #108, that's tough; an industrial commuter merged with a city commuter... Knowing what & how both routes are used, I can't say I agree that should happen.... What I'm thinking with a Union City-Secaucus-Newark route is a 3-4 zone intrastate route.... Can't think of anywhere to terminate such a route on the Union City end though....

So which parts of Secaucus would you have it serving? I would think it would be something similar to my route on the east side of the city, no? And how would Weehawken (at the 64/68 terminal) be as a terminal for a truncated #108 via Secaucus?

Tangentially related (since it's related to service in Newark lol), but I think a few more routes should serve Newark Penn proper (instead of running straight down Broad Street). For example, I was in Forest Hill yesterday, and walked down to Bloomfield Avenue and I'm like "Wow, out of the 11, 27, 28, go28, 29, 72, and 99 the only one that will actually get me to the PATH at Newark Penn is the 72 itself". I got impatient and hopped on the go28 to Market Street, even though NJ Transit's version of BusTime said there was a 72 four minutes behind it (I didn't realize there was a stop by Raymond Blvd on the go28, which would've saved me a couple of minutes as well)

Anyway, obviously the 99 goes nowhere near Newark Penn, and the 27 & go28 continue much further south than Market Street, but the 11, 28, and 29 all terminate at Hill & Washington (during the day, anyway). The same thing with the 59, 65, and 66. All of them terminate at Washington Park. I can see maybe one out of the three terminating there, but not all of them.

I know there's 50 million buses that run along Market Street (and a few on Raymond Blvd plus the light rail), but still, I think there should be more options for a one-seat ride.

On a side note, I didn't realize NJT uses so many prefixes on the routes themselves (I thought they were only on the timetables). Yesterday, I was seeing signs saying 27F, 27R, and 27B, and I was like wow lol.

The Bergenline Ave HBLR station could be a good start. Or extend it up to Nunguessers so it can connect with the 163, 165, and 168. 

The Bergenline Ave HBLR station could be a good start. Or extend it up to Nunguessers so it can connect with the 163, 165, and 168. 

Nah, Bergenline/NY Avenue around the HBLR is too slow traffic-wise to be worth it. I can't picture too many people taking the 108 to Bergenline/49th just to take the HBLR to Hoboken or Jersey City (since if they wanted to do that, they'd probably be better off on the PATH). 

You have to reconfigure the #78 to better server Seacaucas. The route should use exit at 15X Seacaucas Junstion traveling via Seaview, Meadowlands Pkwy, Rt 3, Paterson Plank Terminating at Plaza Dr & Harmon. It would serve most of the town of Seacaucas with a new transfer to the train and more buses to New York 124, 129, 190. Its more of a reverse loop with more Local service in Seacaucas. Edited by Kanarsie Guy

So which parts of Secaucus would you have it serving? I would think it would be something similar to my route on the east side of the city, no?

And how would Weehawken (at the 64/68 terminal) be as a terminal for a truncated #108 via Secaucus?

Tangentially related (since it's related to service in Newark lol), but I think a few more routes should serve Newark Penn proper (instead of running straight down Broad Street). For example, I was in Forest Hill yesterday, and walked down to Bloomfield Avenue and I'm like "Wow, out of the 11, 27, 28, go28, 29, 72, and 99 the only one that will actually get me to the PATH at Newark Penn is the 72 itself". I got impatient and hopped on the go28 to Market Street, even though NJ Transit's version of BusTime said there was a 72 four minutes behind it (I didn't realize there was a stop by Raymond Blvd on the go28, which would've saved me a couple of minutes as well)

Anyway, obviously the 99 goes nowhere near Newark Penn, and the 27 & go28 continue much further south than Market Street, but the 11, 28, and 29 all terminate at Hill & Washington (during the day, anyway). The same thing with the 59, 65, and 66. All of them terminate at Washington Park. I can see maybe one out of the three terminating there, but not all of them.

I know there's 50 million buses that run along Market Street (and a few on Raymond Blvd plus the light rail), but still, I think there should be more options for a one-seat ride.

On a side note, I didn't realize NJT uses so many prefixes on the routes themselves (I thought they were only on the timetables). Yesterday, I was seeing signs saying 27F, 27R, and 27B, and I was like wow lol.

The part of Secaucus I'd have the #78 serve is depicted in the (link to the) map in my last reply there...

IDK why the #64/68 ends @ Lincoln Harbor, nor do I understand why they got some of those NYC - Ft Lee routes looping through there before the fact.... I personally wouldn't have anything terminating there.... If there is demand to get there from Newark though, I wouldn't know it....

Your next point there could make for interesting discussion.... While I have heard the redundancy argument in regards to Newark's network, I haven't thought about the (possible) need for more of the routes that utilize Broad st, to directly serve Newark-Penn.... In any case, I would need 3 separate things before opining / making the analysis I'd like to (since I don't know Newark's network down to every single route off top, and the doug&adrienne maps don't exactly make things feasible):

- a hub & spoke diagram of Newark-Penn,

- a hub & spoke diagram of Newark-Broad, and...

- a small map/diagram of routes that run up/down Broad that already doesn't divert to serve Newark-Penn.....

Lol @ the suffixes (you meant to say).... Yeah, NJT has a shit ton of them - but the thing you don't really hear from their riders is the confusion factor.... Here in NYC, it would never fly - It would be one more reason as to why riders would shun buses... Anyway, you mentioned the 64 earlier - I've always been tripped out that a part time/rush hour only route has two of them (the JSQ trips are 64J's and the Hoboken trips are 64H's)...

I've thought about Nungessers, but not for that reason.....

You have to reconfigure the #78 to better serve Seacaucas. The route should use exit at 15X Seacaucas Junstion traveling via Seaview, Meadowlands Pkwy, Rt 3, Paterson Plank Terminating at Plaza Dr & Harmon. It would serve most of the town of Seacaucas with a new transfer to the train and more buses to New York 124, 129, 190. Its more of a reverse loop with more Local service in Seacaucas.

I don't have a problem with the #78 being a Newark-Secaucus commuter; my aim isn't to want to turn the #78 into a local, nor do I see how a routing of sorts amounts to serving Secaucus better.....

The part of Secaucus I'd have the #78 serve is depicted in the (link to the) map in my last reply there...

IDK why the #64/68 ends @ Lincoln Harbor, nor do I understand why they got some of those NYC - Ft Lee routes looping through there before the fact.... I personally wouldn't have anything terminating there.... If there is demand to get there from Newark though, I wouldn't know it....

Your next point there could make for interesting discussion.... While I have heard the redundancy argument in regards to Newark's network, I haven't thought about the (possible) need for more of the routes that utilize Broad st, to directly serve Newark-Penn.... In any case, I would need 3 separate things before opining / making the analysis I'd like to (since I don't know Newark's network down to every single route off top, and the doug&adrienne maps don't exactly make things feasible):

- a hub & spoke diagram of Newark-Penn,

- a hub & spoke diagram of Newark-Broad, and...

- a small map/diagram of routes that run up/down Broad that already doesn't divert to serve Newark-Penn.....

Lol @ the suffixes (you meant to say).... Yeah, NJT has a shit ton of them - but the thing you don't really hear from their riders is the confusion factor.... Here in NYC, it would never fly - It would be one more reason as to why riders would shun buses... Anyway, you mentioned the 64 earlier - I've always been tripped out that a part time/rush hour only route has two of them (the JSQ trips are 64J's and the Hoboken trips are 64H's)...

I've thought about Nungessers, but not for that reason.....

I don't have a problem with the #78 being a Newark-Secaucus commuter; my aim isn't to want to turn the #78 into a local, nor do I see how a routing of sorts amounts to serving Secaucus better.....

I'm referring to your proposed 108 Newark-Secaucus-Union City route, not your proposed 78 route.

Hmmm, I found this map from NJ Transit, which is basically a map of the bus routes in Downtown Newark. The problem is that it sort of shows all the paths the routes can take (for example, it shows the #11 as going to both Newark Penn and Court Street, when it only goes to Newark Penn in the evenings).

There's also this frequent network map, which also helps give you an idea of which corridors see frequent service (but take for example Bloomfield Avenue. Out of all those routes, only the 72 actually serves Newark Penn) 

Not sure if this helps, but I can group the routes by service area:

Heading east out of Newark Penn towards Ironbound:

#1, #25, #34, #40, #108

Heading west out of Newark Penn towards Central Newark (which I'm going to define as the area between I-280 and Springfield Avenue)

#1, #5, #21, #25/375/go25, #31, #34, #44

Heading south out of Newark Penn towards South Newark (which I'm going to define as anything south of Springfield Avenue, all of these head south along Broad Street and pass through Lincoln Park)

#39, #40, #62, #70

Heading north out of Newark Penn towards North Newark (anything north of I-280):

#72, #108 

Heading north out of Newark Penn towards Kearny: #30 (evenings/weekends), #40, #76

The #71/73/79 are basically express routes within Newark (pick-up/drop-off only heading towards/away from the suburbs), so I'm not counting those (and there's also the #78 as well). On a side note, I wonder if there's a large Jewish population around the #79 area, since it runs Sundays but not Saturdays.

The #5 also runs a little bit south of Springfield Avenue down some side streets, but then turns north up South 10th Street serving as a crosstown through the West Side of Newark (so I counted it as a Central Newark route).

Going straight down Broad Street without diverting to serve Newark Penn):

#11/28/29, #13, #24A/24B, #27, go28, #30 (weekdays), #41, #59/65/66

The #11/28/29 terminate at Court/Washington, and the #30/41 terminate at Lincoln Park. The #59/65/66 all terminate at Washington Park, a few blocks short of Newark Broad Street.

Serving Newark Broad Street:

#76 to Kearny and Hackensack.

#11/28/29/72/go28 up Bloomfield Avenue

#99 between Hillside and Forest Hill (so that provides service between Newark Broad, and the residential areas in Central/South Newark)

#27 goes up Mount Prospect Avenue with the #99 (with a few suffixed branches ;) )

#13 goes up Broadway. It and the #27 both serve parts of South Newark.

#78 to Secaucus.

My own analysis would be as follows:

The 24A/24B are covered by the #21, #40, #44, #62, and Newark Light Rail, depending on where exactly on the route you are. The only areas that don't have access to those routes are parts of Orange & Elizabeth, as well as Dayton Park in Newark. So those are fine going straight down Broad.

On a side note, the #44 goes down down Market Street & Raymond Blvd, east of Market/Central (not Central Avenue as depicted in the D & A map), and the 24B terminates at Main & Day, not Erie Loop (at least that's what the schedule says. I forget what the sign on the bus said when I took it)

The #41 has a lot of people transferring to the light rail at Park Avenue, and its general service area is covered by the #34 and the Bloomfield Avenue routes (and the #108 funny enough, assuming it's open-door within Newark), so that's fine running down Broad Street.

Like I said, at least one more Bloomfield Avenue route should serve Newark Penn, and one of the Elizabeth Avenue routes should serve Newark Penn (funny enough, the #39 has a couple of rush hour trips that run up Elizabeth Avenue and run express to.....Washington Park). 

The go28 is covered by the #40 (for those seeking the EWR North Terminal) & #62 heading south, and it's definitely the last of the Bloomfield Avenue routes that should divert to Newark Penn.

I'm almost inclined to say either the #13 or #27 should be split similar to the old #39 (which was split into the #30 & #39). The areas on the southern portion of the route are generally covered by the #39, but on the northern part of the route, there's no route in that entire portion of North Newark that heads to Newark Penn. At the very least, a few rush hour trips should head out there (since both of them have branches on the northern end, maybe designate one of those branches as the one that heads to Newark Penn. The #13 would be easier to do it with, since there's branches on both the northern and southern end).

The only thing I can think of is that NJT doesn't have enough layover space at Newark Penn for the extra buses. I had an idea to split up the #34 in Ironbound (instead of one route looping around that whole area, have one route covering say, Pulaski/Van Buren and another route covering McWhorter/Pacific and terminating at Pennington Court), so that's one way to reduce the number of buses actually terminating at Newark Penn.

You sure you want the 317 to go over the Betsy Ross Bridge on Route 90? It could lose its Camden ridership that way.

Lol don't think I've stopped yet!

NJT 49: Bogota-Newport Mall

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=208174968748802406451.0004d30ec86ae8970148a&msa=0&ll=40.753727,-74.026866&spn=0.026593,0.055747

Why Not Make It A IBOA

So while in Elizabeth, I took a 24AE (which is kind of redundant since the 24A by definition is supposed to be the one going to the Erie Loop. I saw a 52EW, and then on my return trip, my 59 pulled in behind a 24AEX (not sure what the X stands for) and in front of a 24B (which does, in fact terminate at Main & Day). So yes, suffixes are alive and well in NJ.  :lol:

Now on a service-related note, I think all 24 service should operate into Jersey Gardens instead of half the runs terminating in the residential part of Elizabethport. For an extra 6-8 minutes of runtime, it would make the service pattern simpler and allow people to get in and out of the mall quicker.

Also, I think there should be some service along Rahway Avenue in Westfield (which ironically enough becomes Westfield Avenue as you get closer to Rahway), but on weekdays, most #112 service terminates at Scotch Plains. Not sure if there should be some type of Rahway-Westfield route. I really want to say something involving the #56, except that it would be awkward to divert to Winfield before going back out to Westfield.

Edited by checkmatechamp13

IDK why the #64/68 ends @ Lincoln Harbor, nor do I understand why they got some of those NYC - Ft Lee routes looping through there before the fact.... I personally wouldn't have anything terminating there.... 

Weehawken - You have/had (not sure nowadays) a few large employers based there, namely UBS..  With the 64/68 rush hour routes, remember, Howell garage parks their buses during the day at the Weehawken lot next to the light rail.

The 319 should have a price reduction AC to NYC is $39 on NJT but the same trip on Greyhound is $25. 

I noticed that and agree... I paid the $39 once just to ride the 319 about five years ago..

Weehawken - You have/had (not sure nowadays) a few large employers based there, namely UBS..  With the 64/68 rush hour routes, remember, Howell garage parks their buses during the day at the Weehawken lot next to the light rail.

I noticed that and agree... I paid the $39 once just to ride the 319 about five years ago..

The round trip is $42, but for one way, you're better getting separate tickets (one for NYC-Toms River and one for Toms River-NJ) Should come out cheaper and if you're lucky, they might not ask why you're not off at Toms River.

The round trip is $42, but for one way, you're better getting separate tickets (one for NYC-Toms River and one for Toms River-NJ) Should come out cheaper and if you're lucky, they might not ask why you're not off at Toms River.

That should absolutely not be necessary. But since I'm planning a one way trip from AC to NYC I'll just do walk up on Greyhound since it's cheaper.

However, This isn't the first time I've seen this happen. I just don't understand why greyhound can charge less than commuter services, it should be the other way around.  

That should absolutely not be necessary. But since I'm planning a one way trip from AC to NYC I'll just do walk up on Greyhound since it's cheaper.

However, This isn't the first time I've seen this happen. I just don't understand why greyhound can charge less than commuter services, it should be the other way around.

Greyhound used to be more expensive than all commuter rail and buses (on par with Amtrak). But these days curb side buses and even the old "legacy" buses offer competition, therefore decreasing price. NJT, is taxpayer funded, and therefore no incentive to really lower price, but as a commuter service they offer connecting service further south, but to their credit they did introduce the RT Fare discount Edited by Mtatransit

Greyhound used to be more expensive than all commuter rail and buses (on par with Amtrak). But these days curb side buses and even the old "legacy" buses offer competition, therefore decreasing price. NJT, is taxpayer funded, and therefore no incentive to really lower price, but as a commuter service they offer connecting service further south, but to their credit they did introduce the RT Fare discount

Shouldn't that also be the reason that NJT should cost less than Greyhound 

Shouldn't that also be the reason that NJT should cost less than Greyhound

I think it's due to Greyhounds Flexible yield management style pricing, where price could drop or rise. NJT, operates fixed pricing(where the price only goes up) . It is also harder for NJT to change pricing. Greyhound could just change it, NJT have to follow certain steps which I'm unsure of (Board meeting, public hearing?)

Minor reroute of the #59 & #112 in Roselle: Stay on 3rd Avenue until Chestnut Street instead of turning onto Sheridan Avenue & 2nd Avenue. Buses would take 3rd-Chestnut-1st. 

I'd almost be inclined to have the #112 stay on 3rd (since the #113 is on the other side of the tracks), but seeing how it's a supplement to the #59, it's probably better to have it supplement the #59 as long as possible (distance-wise)

I think it's due to Greyhounds Flexible yield management style pricing, where price could drop or rise. NJT, operates fixed pricing(where the price only goes up) . It is also harder for NJT to change pricing. Greyhound could just change it, NJT have to follow certain steps which I'm unsure of (Board meeting, public hearing?)

Makes sense. It too bad though cause the fluctuation drops the price to $19 nothing higher than $25

• 1 month later...

To provide some more coverage in Clifton, some of those Passaic short-turns on the #190 should be extended to St. Joseph's Medical Center via Piaget Avenue, and then the #707 route (those trips run rush hours, peak direction only).

The #753 should have all trips run to New Milford. Selected #166 trips would be extended to County Road to compensate.

Greyhound used to be more expensive than all commuter rail and buses (on par with Amtrak). But these days curb side buses and even the old "legacy" buses offer competition, therefore decreasing price. NJT, is taxpayer funded, and therefore no incentive to really lower price, but as a commuter service they offer connecting service further south, but to their credit they did introduce the RT Fare discount

Greyhound charges that fare because it's not primarily an intercity or commuter route (NY-AC).  It's primary role is a express service to the casinos.  Upwards of 90% of the clientele taking those buses are going to one of the five casinos that still "greet" buses and purchased a round trip.  Since that's their primary business, they charge the market rate equivalent based on time and distance for the one way.   If you search on greyhound.com, most of the city pairs that are within mileage range of AC from NYC (i.e. Wilmington, Albany, Hartford), are approximately the same price give or take $5.

Nearly all of the terminal-based passengers are one way or "thru" connecting from NYC, Philly or DC from other locations, or one ways.

The price has absolutely nothing to do with competition anymore.  The Greyhound fare has stayed the same for almost 5 years now - except for the Friday night surcharge of $45 round trip implemented two or three years ago.  Up until the early 2000s Greyhound was competing with Academy on price on this route - this was when AC was still a "casino bus" town, prior to the PA casinos opening and Empire and Aqueduct in NYC.  They would match each other dollar for dollar, schedule for schedule.  

Edited by ML111

Since our friends in staten island are interested in a gondola why not extend the HBLR to St George along the North Shore

It would be kind of roundabout. For somebody in say, New Brighton to backtrack up through Bayonne & Jersey to get to Manhattan sounds rather far-fetched. If it were extended down the North Shore Line, I would rather see it go to Arlington. At least there, you have people who could realistically use it as an alternative to taking the ferry to Manhattan.

Hmmm...interesting....the #161 is actually scheduled to be a little bit quicker from Paterson to PABT compared to the #190 (whenever I go, I always take the minibuses, so it doesn't matter either way)

Anyway, on a proposals-related note, I have the following:

#145 extended across 10th Avenue (Passaic County Route 651) and Madison Avenue, to terminate with the #748 in Riverside.

New route (not sure what to call it, maybe #197A) runs rush hours, peak direction. Takes Route 46 to Union Blvd/Union Avenue, then Broadway-Burhans Avenue-Temple Street-North 7th Street, and terminates in Prospect Park (the #744 loop)

Basically, the idea is to provide a one-seat ride from NE Paterson and NW Paterson (the neighborhoods that are far from the #151/161/190 and I guess the #171) to Manhattan. 

Also, not sure if I mentioned this before, but I would have the #707 run down West Broadway, Presidential Blvd, Haledon Avenue, and terminate in Prospect Park (the #744 would bypass that little loop). 

If anybody is familiar with the Atlantic City routes, maybe they can explain why the #504/505 meander around the eastern part of Atlantic City.

I would structure them as follows:

#505: Runs straight down Indiana/Ohio Avenue to Atlantic Avenue (instead of diverting to North/South Carolina Avenue to serve the courthouses, which would continue to be served by the Magellan trips).

#505 Magellan branch: Remains as is.

#508: Runs down MLK Blvd/N. Kentucky Avenue to Adriatic Avenue, then goes across and serves the Brigantine Homes and continues down the #504 route to the Atlantic City Aquarium.

#504 runs down Madison/Grammercy and terminates at the Atlantic City Aquarium (also bypasses NY Avenue loop).