NJT proposals/ideas thread 2012-2013

I Looked The Newark Bus Study and I Found Some Routes To Use: University Hospital To EWR Via Ironbound,Bayonne To EWR Terminals Via North Area Transit Ctr, Journal Square to North Area Transit Ctr via West Side Av & EWR Terminals, Newark Penn Sta To Marriott Hotel, Jersey Gardens To Clarkson Av and Arnett St via North Av/IKEA.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most of those ideas are just absurd. Now the University Hospital part, they tried a segment of that proposal, it was called the go28 via University Heights. It flopped, so NJT axed that segment.

• 1 month later...

So I was thinking there should be some NJT routes using the Staten Island Expressway Bus Lane to go to Downtown Manhattan, now that the lane over the VZN Bridge is complete (well, Manhattan-bound anyway). I know Academy has some routes that use the Holland Tunnel (and I've seen coach/charter buses use the bus lane, though I don't know whether they're commuter buses or not)

Anyway, I don't know if the #115 would be a good candidate, since it runs in the general area of the Northeast Corridor which already goes to Midtown. Maybe that, or an extension of a route like the #52 or #58 that ends in Elizabeth (the #26 from Irvington is too roundabout. It's quicker to go to Newark from most of the areas along the route that aren't shared with the #52). Or maybe a branch of a route like the #116.

So I was thinking there should be some NJT routes using the Staten Island Expressway Bus Lane to go to Downtown Manhattan, now that the lane over the VZN Bridge is complete (well, Manhattan-bound anyway). I know Academy has some routes that use the Holland Tunnel (and I've seen coach/charter buses use the bus lane, though I don't know whether they're commuter buses or not)

Anyway, I don't know if the #115 would be a good candidate, since it runs in the general area of the Northeast Corridor which already goes to Midtown. Maybe that, or an extension of a route like the #52 or #58 that ends in Elizabeth (the #26 from Irvington is too roundabout. It's quicker to go to Newark from most of the areas along the route that aren't shared with the #52). Or maybe a branch of a route like the #116.

I actually saw a D4000CNG signed for the 139 coming off the BQE going onto the Verrazano Bridge bout 10 years ago

I saw an NJT coach going down West Street in Downtown this afternoon. (I didn't see if it was signed up as any route. I know the #120 uses local-style buses, I think those are the NABIs). Maybe some higher-ups at NJT are lurking here. :ph34r:

Probably starting its outbound trip at Greenwich St & Battery Pl

Edit: Ok. Didn't see the coach part. But then again, wouldn't be surprised if Greenville garage was borrowing equipment

Edit #2: You probably saw the D4500CT 16003 that should have an Academy logo at the front as they now have that bus....

Edited by 46Dover

• 2 weeks later...

Never cared for the #108; riderbase is too narrow & it does not help that it serves Newark-Penn, where too many are gunning for the PATH into the city....

Outside of how DeCamp #44 serves Bloomfield (back-doors it), I can agree to running 108's to Bloomfield... However, I would simply have it running along Bloomfield av.... It would take the turnpike to 280 (which is what the 107x does btw) & serve the Pavilion apartments (which would the 1st stop), before serving Bloomfield av...

Only question I'd have is, where should it end exactly; dead at Bloomfield rail (w/ the GO bus 28), or somewhere up along Broad w/i Bloomfield......

Speaking of Bloomfield... I wonder how an ex co-worker of mine is doing over there at Troy Towers....

The 108 Trip I'm Currently On To Newark Is Full 3 People Are Standing Up So That Breaks Your "Ridership Is Narrow" Statement Also The 108's Passengers Mostly Go Up To Union City Leaving Very Few People To PABT. Now Do I Think The 108 Needs To Be Extended Yes. But For What It's Worth It's Ok. The Bus Is A Great Alternative To The PATH Which Is Completely Shit On Weekends. What If The PATH Is Shut Down For Weekends Work Or Something Like That How Will People Get To NYC. Again For A Route That Runs Every Hour It Does A Decent Job

The 108 Trip I'm Currently On To Newark Is Full 3 People Are Standing Up So That Breaks Your "Ridership Is Narrow" Statement Also The 108's Passengers Mostly Go Up To Union City Leaving Very Few People To PABT. Now Do I Think The 108 Needs To Be Extended Yes. But For What It's Worth It's Ok. The Bus Is A Great Alternative To The PATH Which Is Completely Shit On Weekends. What If The PATH Is Shut Down For Weekends Work Or Something Like That How Will People Get To NYC. Again For A Route That Runs Every Hour It Does A Decent Job

He didn't say the ridership was low. He said the riderbase was narrow. There's a difference. Right now, it only serves a few neighborhoods in Newark (Downtown, Ironbound, and Seventh Avenue), whereas he's saying it would get more ridership if it were extended further west, and let the PATH cover the areas near Downtown Newark.

He didn't say the ridership was low. He said the riderbase was narrow. There's a difference. Right now, it only serves a few neighborhoods in Newark (Downtown, Ironbound, and Seventh Avenue), whereas he's saying it would get more ridership if it were extended further west, and let the PATH cover the areas near Downtown Newark.

Oh Ok

First of all, don't strawman me to death..... Misquoting me, then going off on some wild tangent......

Secondly, you're not refuting anything whatsoever by telling me that you were on a packed #108 with 3 standees, when I said the riderbase of the route was narrow.... It's irrelevant....

Lastly, there are a couple of NJT routes that have narrow riderbases & get decent or better ridership...

Point to point routes like the #111, #308, #319 b/w AC & PABT, & the #551 get a great deal of ridership, given their narrow(er) riderbases....

* riderbase = defines the area(s) & the number of stops in those areas where passengers are boarding/alighting buses...

Where the riders are coming from; the "basis" of the ridership.

* ridership =  defines the actual passengers.

Thank you.

Edited by B35 via Church

First of all, don't strawman me to death..... Misquoting me, then going off on some wild tangent......

Secondly, you're not refuting anything whatsoever by telling me that you were on a packed #108 with 3 standees, when I said the riderbase of the route was narrow.... It's irrelevant....

Lastly, there are a couple of NJT routes that have narrow riderbases & get decent or better ridership...

Point to point routes like the #111, #308, #319 b/w AC & PABT, & the #551 get a great deal of ridership, given their narrow(er) riderbases....

* riderbase = defines the area(s) & the number of stops in those areas where passengers are boarding/alighting buses...

Where the riders are coming from; the "basis" of the ridership.

* ridership =  defines the actual passengers.

Thank you.

My Bad Sir Didn't Know Thw Aesthetics Of How An Bus Route Works You're A lot More Informed Than I Am

• 2 weeks later...

The Hudson-Essex Light Rail Will Consist Our One Line The Orange Line Which Runs From Maplewood To The Heights In Jersey City

Stops:

Valley St

43rd St

Myrtle Av

S 18 St

S 10 St

Bergen St

Astor St

Market St

Newark Penn Station

Jackson St

Magazine St

RT 440 Shopping Ctr

West Side Ave

Journal Square

Congress St

Also Trains Usually Run Every 5-7 Min And Every 15 Min Middays/Weekends With Newark Flyers Stopping At Valley St,43rd St,Myrtle Av,Bergen St,Market St,Newark Penn Station,RT 440 Shopping Ctr and Journal Square Trains Consist Of 2 Cars

This Route Uses Maplewood Flyers And The Whole Ride Is About 20 Min

The question is, any demand for such service? Maplewood folk rather take the train to Hoboken to reach Jersey City.

I agree with the length of the route, it's quite the trip. And yes you STILL have to go through Newark. As the Ironbound goes, most people rather take the 1 to Penn Station to catch the PATH. Not everyone is keen to sit on the 1 when it goes to River Terminal before reaching Jersey City.

Union Av Route: Goes From Newark Penn Station To Broad St And Down Bloomfield Ave and Then Straight Up Mt Prospect Ave/Union Av To Centre St. Buses Go Through The Big Tree Garage Loop From Centre St Buses Run Every 7-8 Min Rush Hour Every 15 Min Midday/Weekends This Route Will Provide North Newark/Belleville/Nutley Passengers A One Seat Ride To NWK Penn Sta This Route Uses Neoplans

• 2 years later...
On 6/10/2019 at 11:02 PM, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

The 114 is way too long for its own good. Something in general needs to be with bus service in the Raritan Valley and Union County. The 114 does too much, and the 113 doesn't carry a lot (outside of rush hours). 

On 6/12/2019 at 8:42 PM, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Well, it would be something along the lines of shortening the 114. I thought about terminating the 114 in Plainfield while extending the 113 out to Bridgewater (rerouted via the 114 west of Plainfield), and then expanding the service hours of the 65 to provide midday, reverse peak, and Saturday service (extending out to Bridgewater). There would still be rush hour service originating/terminating in Dunellen.

On 6/12/2019 at 10:10 PM, B35 via Church said:

Nothing should even be terminating in Dunellen; not the #59, not the #113, and not most of those #114x trips either....

Running the #113 to Bridgewater because the #113 doesn't carry enough isn't really solving much.... The #113 has nothing to do with anything here....

Folks tend to forget about (or are ignorant of) this route, but the #117 was created to address issues with the #114... That's where the focus should be, instead of the #113.... The #114 from PABT to Bridgewater Commons does too much, but those #114x's that terminate in Dunellen don't do enough.... The #117 is, and has been in serious need of a span expansion for quite some time now (and the way I see it, a route readjustment on top of it..... I say that b/c for the most part, patronage on that route consists of a bunch of people park & riding in shopping plaza's along rte #22, or otherwise getting dropped off along rte. 22 to catch it, because most 114x trips don't go far enough)....

You have the right idea with where a route swap should occur though..... Just the wrong route.

===================================

Original discussion forwarded from the New Bus Schedules 6/22/19 thread....

Re: 114 does too much/is way too long.....

Following up on this discussion, the simplest thing I'd do to rectify this issue is to completely cut this route (#114) back to Plainfield..... During peak times, they do this thing where all the short turns run b/w PABT & Echo Plaza (via Morris av & via Mountain av) & any #114 service west of Mountainside operate as 'X' trips (via rt. 22 in Union/Springfield twp.'s) running to either Dunellen or Bridgewater Commons....

The short turns are a no-brainer, but it's the express setup I'm not fond of - particularly the Bridgewater expresses (in concurrence with the #117), on top of the fact that, well, anything's even terminating in Dunellen.... In other words, it's as if they use the #117 as some sort of complement to the Bridgewater #114x's (because some #114x's end in Dunellen)..... I've utilized both routes/variants, but for those of you that aren't familiar with the two routes, all you have to do is look at a map....

Here's a snapshot of the routings of the 2 routes in the area:

q8D2LkF.gif

You can't see it, but the #117 parallels the #114 from where you last see the vertical pink line there (I believe that's Finderne IINM), to the two red dots (stops) just below route 22 in Somerville (in-between US 22 & I-287 there, is Bridgewater Commons mall itself)...... Anyway, the crux of my argument is that the 117 does much of nothing (directly) for anyone that resides between Dunellen & Bound Brook along/around the #114....

While the #117 b/w PABT & Somerville is faster than the #114x Bridgewater express to Somerville, it's not by the margin that's depicted on the 114/117 schedule..... I have never been on a #117 that took about 90 minutes to get to Somerville..... I'd say it's closer to two hours.....

In case anyone brings up walking & it looking like a short enough distance, bear in mind that rt. 22 is an expressway.... That part of rt. 22 should not be allowing for passenger pickups & dropoffs IMO (in contrast to rt. 9 with the #139 & its 50 million variants - which actually has designated/dedicated areas for park & riders... and bus shelters, to boot).... Most people that board the #117 up there have people driving them to a particular stop.... The #114 down there (area depicted in the map) actually runs along residences & storefronts & what not - hence the # of stops..... Oh, and did I mention there's only about a handful a trips in each direction a day on the #117.....

Going back to the *114 does too much* premise, the more complicated/less simple part of my suggestion is to split the [Bridgewater Commons - PABT] #114 into:

• a #114 that runs between PABT & Plainfield (via Morris av & via Mountain av), with a peak express variant that would use rt. 22 in Union/Springfield Twp's...
  • a #117 that runs between PABT & Bridgewater Commons (via the current #114 routing/stops between Bridgewater Commons & North Plainfield (Greybar dr)), then the current 117 routing along rt. 22, to PABT...

The current #117 is a route that makes a rather sporadic amt. of stops along parts of rt. 22 between Bound Brook & Union Twp. (basically serving park & riders (or kiss & riders)) - hence the identifier for the route being "rt 22 express".... The proposed #117 would still be a route 22 express - in the sense that NO STOPS WOULD BE MADE ALONG IT :lol::D

So instead of making less overall stops between Somerville & Union Twp., I'd have the proposed #117 make more stops b/w Somerville & North Plainfield - without serving Union Twp./Springfield Twp. at all (which would be the purpose/focus of the proposed #114)..... Being that the whole plan would call for a complete schedule readjustment (since the proposed #117 wouldn't solely be a peak direction only route), it all basically amounts to one huge reallocation..... The relationship (or whatever you wanna call it) b/w the proposed 114/117 would be akin to that of the peak hour 136/139 (the 139's that end at Union Hill) along the route 9 corridor....

>> Map of the proposed #114 & 117 <<

Thoughts/Questions? Have at it.

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

I'm not so sure a bus can clear the underpass at the North Elizabeth RR station.....

The 112 goes by North Elizabeth station on North Ave, so it does clear the underpass.

Edited by go25