NJT proposals/ideas thread 2012-2013

...that argument can be made for extending any route.

Whoa, hold on.... I'm not advocating for any service increase on the NEC.....

You were the one that said:

"NEC could of benefit with more service in and out of NYPENN"

...and that is what I was addressing in that last post of mine

My bad. Read it wrong ......tired from work. SORRY!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if a #559 extension to Point Pleasant would help. It would give people an option of aside from the #319 (and it would especially help people in Central NJ trying to get there). Plus, it would connect Toms River to the beach.

It could follow the #317 route, with every other bus extended (1 bus every 2 hours) to help provide hourly service between Lakewood and Point Pleasant.

There used to be 156R's on Saturdays but there wasn't really any people coming in. The 123 on an Artic would be great but the main problem would be turns, mainly ALL the turns. From NY: the turn from 31st and Palisades is not a easy one since the turning radius is closer, so you might hit that sign on the left side. Then turning the bus around by turning R on Jefferson, L on Baldwin, L on Beacon, L on Palisades is NOT easy. You have double parked cars on Baldwin, and it is VERY tight. To NY: Congress and Palisades, turning to the HBLR station, that is not a easy turn too since you have cars, deadheading buses, live buses coming from those directions. You have to get out of the way or cars have to move so you can get through. And, unless you place the 123 on another gate like the 200 gates where the gate will fit an articulated bus, not a chance. 126 can do it and should do it, but again, they need to move that bus to a different gate to be able to do it, which they can't at this time.

The 156R still runs on Saturday and does carry a good load of people. Four A.M. trips to NY and four P.M. trips leaving NY.

I wonder if a #559 extension to Point Pleasant would help. It would give people an option of aside from the #319 (and it would especially help people in Central NJ trying to get there). Plus, it would connect Toms River to the beach.

It could follow the #317 route, with every other bus extended (1 bus every 2 hours) to help provide hourly service between Lakewood and Point Pleasant.

You cant just extend a bus to a beach on the basis of ppl in central jersey trying to get there. The reason the 319 works is for those ppl from ny to have a one seat ride to Wildwood-Cape May and its an extra to the 137-Parkway Exp which fills up fast. Most ppl drive to the beach anyways. A bus every 2hrs wont help that.

The 319 is also for those not wanting to gamble and just want to shop at those tourist shops and walk the boardwalk since there is a bus every hr, vs greyhound(doesnt even guarantee you a seat) while if a njt bus fill they send another bus asap.

You cant just extend a bus to a beach on the basis of ppl in central jersey trying to get there. The reason the 319 works is for those ppl from ny to have a one seat ride to Wildwood-Cape May and its an extra to the 137-Parkway Exp which fills up fast. Most ppl drive to the beach anyways. A bus every 2hrs wont help that.

The 319 is also for those not wanting to gamble and just want to shop at those tourist shops and walk the boardwalk since there is a bus every hr, vs greyhound(doesnt even guarantee you a seat) while if a njt bus fill they send another bus asap.

But the thing is that it also helps people who work at the beach who live further inland (and I think that corridor where the 317 runs could use the extra service).

But the thing is that it also helps people who work at the beach who live further inland (and I think that corridor where the 317 runs could use the extra service).

well here is a short instafix extend 830 to toms river terminal via rte 549. ppl going to the beach would use 319 to the 830 increasing ridership on both lines done no need to mess up 559 which is too slow anyway

your forgetting most NJT users have cars already. Meaning a bus to the beach means less cars on the road ever thought of that however 559 n is too long to extend so I agree on that point

I was gonna respond to that last night, but you beat me to it.....

I'll add by saying, it also appears as if he wants to connect Central Jersey to the NJCL..... Extending the 559 for that purpose would be much ado about nothin.... It's about another 1/2 hour from Lakewood to Pt. Pleasant (and more than an hour from toms river to Pt. Pleasant).... And worse, there are no through trains b/w Pt. Pleasant & NY-penn - you have to change at Long branch... No one would resort to doing all that - the commute b/w the two points is over 2 hrs by rail anyway, nevermind the ride from [Lakewood or Toms River] to Pt. Pleasant.....

.....Which is exactly why the 137/319 out of toms river works.... same goes for the Lakewood/NY routes (136 [weekday rush], 139)....

The corridor the 317 is served "by accident". The only purpose the routeing serves is to get the 317 to Lakewood. Once yu pass route 206 there are no bus stops(might be a few but not many). And for the AFB peeps. Hell most ppl along the 317 doesnt even know it exists. Anyone who gets on the 317 between Philly/Camden & Burlington & the college is either going to Lakewood or Asbury Park and vise versa. I fanned the 317 to Lakewood wit one of my fellow driver every now and then and at most we pick up is 15 ppl.

I was gonna respond to that last night, but you beat me to it.....

I'll add by saying, it also appears as if he wants to connect Central Jersey to the NJCL..... Extending the 559 for that purpose would be much ado about nothin.... It's about another 1/2 hour from Lakewood to Pt. Pleasant (and more than an hour from toms river to Pt. Pleasant).... And worse, there are no through trains b/w Pt. Pleasant & NY-penn - you have to change at Long branch... No one would resort to doing all that - the commute b/w the two points is over 2 hrs by rail anyway, nevermind the ride from [Lakewood or Toms River] to Pt. Pleasant.....

.....Which is exactly why the 137/319 out of toms river works.... same goes for the Lakewood/NY routes (136 [weekday rush], 139)....

Yeah, that was the real purpuse of the extension. I mean, I know there are buses from Toms River/Lakewood to NY, but I don't really like the idea of an area being forced to depend entirely on buses to reach Manhattan. Plus, I don't like the idea of an area being served by a bihourly bus route (in this case, the #317). I mean, between Lakewood and say, Cherry Hill then yeah, I could understand it because it's mostly open road with nothing on it, but that area between Lakewood & Point Pleasant (well, really Brick-Point Pleasant because Lakewood-Brick has the #67) looks too dense to be left with bihourly service like that.

I actually originally thought of the idea in the "How to get from NYP to Atlantic City" thread. (But obviously it would take a lot longer than just taking the #319), but then I realized that even though sending the #559 to Point Pleasant wouldn't do any good for riders from Atlantic City, it would help people in Central NJ by supplementing the #317.

well here is a short instafix extend 830 to toms river terminal via rte 549. ppl going to the beach would use 319 to the 830 increasing ridership on both lines done no need to mess up 559 which is too slow anyway

Come to think about it, if you hate slow buses so much, why do you live in Brooklyn?

So I guess somebody going from Lakewood to Philly is gonna stand out,huh!

Funny you say that.....

The 2nd time I rode the 317 full & I gave him my ticket at Asbury pk, he said:

"looks like it's goin be me & you, buddy"

Originally I took that to mean, we were gonna be the only 2 ppl. on the bus for the whole ride..... In my mind, I was like damn....

Then I when I got off @ the Greyhound terminal, sure enough, I was the only MF on the bus (passenger)..... anyone else that was left on the bus, got off at WRTC.....No one else that boarded mid-route or w/e, took it to philly.....

The corridor the 317 is served "by accident". The only purpose the routeing serves is to get the 317 to Lakewood. Once yu pass route 206 there are no bus stops(might be a few but not many). And for the AFB peeps. Hell most ppl along the 317 doesnt even know it exists. Anyone who gets on the 317 between Philly/Camden & Burlington & the college is either going to Lakewood or Asbury Park and vise versa. I fanned the 317 to Lakewood wit one of my fellow driver every now and then and at most we pick up is 15 ppl.

Y'know, it always seemed to me that the 317 was a product of something.... in other words, like it came as a result of some funky combination, or the discontinuation of one route & the modifying & extending of another to form it..... iono, you look at the physical routing, and to me, something is just... off...... I don't know the history of NJT routes like that, so maybe you or someone can shed some light on that..... Or maybe the current route was one route from the beginning, iono........

....but yeh, of the times I've taken it, there were about a handful of riders that boarded @ Asbury pk, another handful @ Lakewood, then pretty much a long stint where no one is embarking/disembarking...... even the amt of passenger activity (embarking/disembarking) b/w asbury & lakewood (not inclusive) is lacking.....

It's one huge a** coverage route, is all it is....

Yeah, that was the real purpuse of the extension. I mean, I know there are buses from Toms River/Lakewood to NY, but I don't really like the idea of an area being forced to depend entirely on buses to reach Manhattan. Plus, I don't like the idea of an area being served by a bihourly bus route (in this case, the #317). I mean, between Lakewood and say, Cherry Hill then yeah, I could understand it because it's mostly open road with nothing on it, but that area between Lakewood & Point Pleasant (well, really Brick-Point Pleasant because Lakewood-Brick has the #67) looks too dense to be left with bihourly service like that.

I actually originally thought of the idea in the "How to get from NYP to Atlantic City" thread. (But obviously it would take a lot longer than just taking the #319), but then I realized that even though sending the #559 to Point Pleasant wouldn't do any good for riders from Atlantic City, it would help people in Central NJ by supplementing the #317.

See replies above....

Well what can you do where there's no rail option nowhere near you...... It's not so much that bus service to NY is being forced upon them.... it's more, making the best of a not-so-ideal situation - the commute would end up being actually longer if they took the bus-to-rail option/suggestion of yours..... I don't like the idea of a bihourly bus route either no more than you do, but the 317 isn't used as well as you might think..... It's not b/c of its service levels either, but moreso the areas it serves...... The demand doesn't call for what we may consider "normal" levels of service (for example, hourly service on the 317 would be overkill)..... When I first rode the 317, I thought buses would actually be packed by time we hit lakewood..... to no avail....

Also, you have to consider NJT doesn't run too many routes in ocean county, due to the (epic fail) that is OceanRide....

Also, you have to consider NJT doesn't run too many routes in ocean county, due to the (epic fail) that is OceanRide....

Tell me about it. What the hell kind of route operates Tuesdays only??? With like 2 trips a day.

I can see why Pinepower was complaining that NJT should take them over.

Well What if the 830 is extended to Lakewood all trips. The 830 trips would be modified to meet with the 317 arrivals and depatures from it's new terminal at Lakewood, besides, I would twirk the buse schedule since a 317 leaves Pleasent Beach to Philly at :11, while a 830 arrives Pleasent Beach at :30, so an 830 to Lakewood I would make it arrive at around :20, so the 830 buses would be twirked to pass 10 minutes earlier from Asbury Park to Pleasent Beach. Then the 830 would leave at :20. Then, at Lakewood, the 317 would leave later then it currently does. It would leave at the hour instead of :45 to To Philly to insure all connecting pax would be on the 317 to Philly.

On the reverse way, to Asbury Park, the 317 arrives at Lakewood at :07. The 830 would wait 10 minutes, then operate to Asbury Park. The 830 would arrive Point Pleasent Beach at :56 instead of :40, and would continue to operate 16 MINUTES LATER than it's actual schedule. Sunday service would be established on the 830 between Lakewood and Point Pleasent Beach, which would cost a bit more because of the 317 routing between Point Pleasent Beach and Asbury Park. The 830 would operate from Asbury Park at :40, and get to Lakewood at :50 the next hour. The 317 would be twirked to operate to Phily from Lakewood at :00 INSTEAD of :45

The 317 would terminate at Lakewood

The 830 plan would be cost-neutral overall

Weekday and Saturday Service would be cost-neutral while Sunday Service would be cost-operative because of the added 830 service

Well the 317 riders would hop on the 830, since from Asbury Park to Pleasent Beach, the 317 and 830 make the stops for most of the route. 317 riders using the bus from Lakewood to Asbury Park can use the new 830.

That's not what I'm asking; I understand the idea....

at best Q23, as stated before in this thread, if you dont know what your talking about, better off not throwing crazy suggestions. (im in no way trolling, im being real)

Do you really think anyone taking the 319 would hop aboard those RTS' that run on the 830.....

Well they will have direct access to that airport along the 317 route

huh?

What airport is there along the 317 b/w Pt. Pleasant beach & Lakewood ?

some of your ideas have left me confused

lol....

anyone feels like some routes (interstate) shouldn't serve Union City to alleviate the ridiculous traffic around P.P Road?

The buses that actually have stops in Union City do extremely good business there. There are alot of buses that cut through U.C. in an effort to avoid 495 adding to an already congested area. Cutting service to U.C. will do more harm than good.