NJT proposals/ideas thread 2012-2013

S56 will serve woodbridge mall from metropark en rte to SI it will be a loop in NJ 1st stop is metropark then woodbridge mall then back to SI. S55 to old bridge park and ride for NJT 139. Due to academy's contract ONLY ACADEMY can run buses from nyc to Pnc Due to agreement with NJT AND NJDOT!!! In a sense S56 will be a 440 express. This links new brunswick with SI and mercer county. This is literally one of the few ways to increase ridership on it face it you need extreme measures to make those 2 SI lines relavent

But why extend the S56 via Woodbridge Mall when the SI mall is closer

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well I think a shuttle bus can be put in place between the mall and some intermediate point on the S56.

Intermediate point on the S56... lol....

A shuttle bus to woodbridge center mall? For what.....

Who exactly would want to run such a service.....

NJT wouldn't run that, the MTA wouldn't run that, hell, the owner(s) of the mall wouldn't run it either.......

Edited by B35 via Church

Intermediate point on the S56... lol....

A shuttle bus to woodbridge center mall? For what.....

Who exactly would want to run such a service.....

NJT wouldn't run that, the MTA wouldn't run that, hell, the owner(s) of the mall wouldn't run it either.......

Make Veolia Run it LOL

Most malls served by buses are due to the fact the mall is enroute of a current bus route. Just because a mall exists doesnt mean it warrents bus service. Ikea has bus service because its very popular. Walmart gets bus service for the same reason and is a cash cow for njt as well as ikea. Malls are only high volume during hoildays and friday/sat. Its not enough to warrent service or even a shuttle lol. You have to look into it more before you pop out ideas from space.

But why extend the S56 via Woodbridge Mall when the SI mall is closer

It's a much larger mall than SI with different stores (like 1 additional anchor than SI, 2 once Boscov's opens next year in the old Fortunoff), and there's a ton of SIers that go there. Half the cars in the parking lot there on any given day have NY plates. If they run a bus there from SI it's likely to get good ridership. It'd also probably boost the amount of people that shop in the mall, since there's probably SIers that won't go over the bridge nowadays thanks to the Port Authority's ridiculous tolls.

my fantrip sucked today.... I rode more trains than buses.... only rode the full 409 (which I almost missed b/c the NEC left NYP a whopping SEVEN minutes late - of course Amtrak has the right of way) & the full 317..... was goin ride academy out of asbury park, but I didn't know if there was a ~6pm bus or not, so I just took the train out of that godawful rail station - I hate that immediate area, even w/ the police station over there.....

speaking of which, I got a proposal....

If you're riding the #317 & have to pass through ft. dix, (for example, you're going from lakewood to pemberton), you must show ID to the driver upon boarding the bus.... no ID, no ride - even with the appropriate fare or ticket..... This is the 2nd time I've taken that route where a passenger didn't have ID & held up everyone else (ok, me & 2 other people that were on the bus at the time).....

Most malls served by buses are due to the fact the mall is enroute of a current bus route. Just because a mall exists doesnt mean it warrents bus service. Ikea has bus service because its very popular. Walmart gets bus service for the same reason and is a cash cow for njt as well as ikea. Malls are only high volume during hoildays and friday/sat. Its not enough to warrent service or even a shuttle lol. You have to look into it more before you pop out ideas from space.

Exactly.... and woodbridge center mall is not that type of mall ("cash cow", as you put it).....

Edited by B35 via Church

whoever said about Woodbridge Mall not being a cash cow is dead on. But Jersey Gardens is one (no taxes for the shop addicts lol), and i know there are some people from SI who go there that have told me they wished there was either a shuttle or a new line for that.

Just imagine the commute (for those who don't have a car to commute):

take the SI railway to the ferry, ferry to Manhattan, the 1 subway line to WTC, transfer there for the PATH to NWK, take NEC or NJCL to Elizabeth, then take Coach USA 24 to mall. That alone looks painful (for your wallet that is) and thats just one way.

Or instead of getting off at WTC, take the 1 subway line up to 42nd st to PABT and transfer there for the 111

Edited by go25

What I never understood about the #62 is that there's more people that board @ woodbridge than there are ppl. that disembark there..... The 810's rate of pax that embark/disembark @ the mall is fairly equal; about 10-15 ppl gettin off & about 10-15 ppl. waiting to get on...... w/ the 62, on avg., it's like 5 ppl gettin off & 15+ ppl. waitin to get on......

I've mentioned a route running from SI-Jersey Gardens being useful before on here...... Only problem is, which of the two agencies would bite (to be honest, I don't see either NJT or MTA doing so).....

If someone ran a shuttle to that mall (hell, it could even start around 86th st/Bay ridge), it would catch on real quick......

Joe Lhota has stated that he wants transit agencies to get together for the railroads but what about bus service between Staten Island and New Jersey? That would be a good place to start the cooperative process by working with New Jersey to provide service to and/from Staten Island.

The service was needed, is needed and will be needed now and in the future, not only for the Woodbridge Mall but for Newark Airport and Newark Penn Station and other points as well. I cannot tell you how many times good ideas has been proposed over the years and were shot down, for one reason or another. The agencies need to cooperate as revenues have to increase as funding on all levels is continuing to decrease and service will continue to deteriorate on all levels.

The members are making excellent suggestions and the time has come for the agencies to start thinking outside the box.

Joe Lhota has stated that he wants transit agencies to get together for the railroads but what about bus service between Staten Island and New Jersey? That would be a good place to start the cooperative process by working with New Jersey to provide service to and/from Staten Island.

The service was needed, is needed and will be needed now and in the future, not only for the Woodbridge Mall but for Newark Airport and Newark Penn Station and other points as well. I cannot tell you how many times good ideas has been proposed over the years and were shot down, for one reason or another. The agencies need to cooperate as revenues have to increase as funding on all levels is continuing to decrease and service will continue to deteriorate on all levels.

The members are making excellent suggestions and the time has come for the agencies to start thinking outside the box.

Smart ideas. Port Richmond to Newark Penn via Jersey Gardens, IKEA, and the airport. That'll get a ton of ridership. I personally think that on routes where both states' riders will benefit, they should be operated by one of the PBLs (in this case probably Coach USA) with equal funding from both states.

Smart ideas. Port Richmond to Newark Penn via Jersey Gardens, IKEA, and the airport. That'll get a ton of ridership. I personally think that on routes where both states' riders will benefit, they should be operated by one of the PBLs (in this case probably Coach USA) with equal funding from both states.

i guess academy is out, so coach usa should operate the route. NABIs or MCIs?

The agencies need to cooperate as revenues have to increase as funding on all levels is continuing to decrease and service will continue to deteriorate on all levels.

I'd just like to point out that the service to the malls might not necessarily be profitable, unless the malls themselves are willing to pay a portion of the costs.

Actually, this is what I'd do:

* Have a line that starts at the ETC, goes up the X17J route, and then serves the NJ destinations you described. The fare could be anywhere from $5 - $7, and maybe at certain times of the day, there could be some runs that bypass one or more of the destinations.

* Have another line that starts at the ETC, goes across Arthur Kill Road, makes a stop at Huguenot Avenue, and then goes on the WSE and runs to the Woodbridge Mall (this one would probably be a little bit cheaper).

I think you might actually be able to turn a profit on it, if it's operated by a PBL. I mean, on the weekends, SI express buses have a pretty high farebox recovery ratio, and they go all the way into Manhattan. Here, the distance is nowhere near as much, but the fare is comparable.

whoever said about Woodbridge Mall not being a cash cow is dead on. But Jersey Gardens is one (no taxes for the shop addicts lol), and i know there are some people from SI who go there that have told me they wished there was either a shuttle or a new line for that.

Just imagine the commute (for those who don't have a car to commute):

take the SI railway to the ferry, ferry to Manhattan, the 1 subway line to WTC, transfer there for the PATH to NWK, take NEC or NJCL to Elizabeth, then take Coach USA 24 to mall. That alone looks painful (for your wallet that is) and thats just one way.

Or instead of getting off at WTC, take the 1 subway line up to 42nd st to PABT and transfer there for the 111

Well, to be fair, you could cut down on transfers if you take the express bus to the WTC, take the PATH to Newark, and then take the #40 to the mall. (Of course, this is assuming that you live near an express bus). That would be $5.50 + $2 + $1.50, which is $9, which isn't the worst deal, but of course, the travel time is like 3 or 4 times longer than driving.

Something to the Woodbridge area should be operated by Academy, but for the Newark area Coach USA is already the main PBL so they should operate a route that goes there. I'd honestly go RTS/NABI, though for a route that goes to the airport MCIs might work due to the overhead storage. But then again, NABIs can get luggage racks, so I really don't know. Academy has some Nova LFSes (ex-Rutgers) that I'd love to see on any route they operate, they probably won't brand the SI-NJ route(s) as NJT so they'd have to either brand some NABIs/RTSes as Academy or just bring out some buses they own directly like the LFSes for operation on a directly-controlled Academy route. They also have D60LFs from Rutgers as well, maybe if the route(s) get(s) good ridership they can use those.

Edited by Orion VII 4 Life

The service was needed, is needed and will be needed now and in the future, not only for the Woodbridge Mall but for Newark Airport and Newark Penn Station and other points as well....

What service are you talking about ?

Smart ideas. Port Richmond to Newark Penn via Jersey Gardens, IKEA, and the airport. That'll get a ton of ridership.

If you're talking about a PBL possibly operating such a route, I would actually stretch it to St. George.... doesn't even have to run inside the ferry bus terminal..... just run it down richmond terrace > broadway > castleton > pt. richmond > walker > morningstar > forest > en route to the goethals for to [jersey gardens & EWR] or [jersey gardens & NWK-Penn]..... NJT tickets would be cross honored, just in case riders don't wanna put up w/ the 40 (njt's 40)....

If coach usa would operate it, MCI.....

Thanks for the link, MFS.....

Why would you run a route to AC airport from JSQ or NWK when EWR is in the vicinity ?

Wouldn't it be more logical to have Bus service from ATLANTIC CITY AIRPORT to ATLANTIC CITY BUS TERMINAL? lol I mean, that's how the 62 get their giggles, working NEWARK LIBERTY to NEWARK PENN STATION. And even with that, is there a high demand for that service?

What service are you talking about ?

I think he's just talking about the general idea of an SI-NJ route (aside from the S89 of course). He's saying we should have connections to Woodbridge, EWR, NWK, & Jersey Gardens.

If you're talking about a PBL possibly operating such a route, I would actually stretch it to St. George.... doesn't even have to run inside the ferry bus terminal..... just run it down richmond terrace > broadway > castleton > pt. richmond > walker > morningstar > forest > en route to the goethals for to [jersey gardens & EWR] or [jersey gardens & NWK-Penn]..... NJT tickets would be cross honored, just in case riders don't wanna put up w/ the 40 (njt's 40)....

Out of curiosity, what fare would you charge? Like a 2-zone NJT fare or an express bus fare or what? (And I guess there wouldn't be enough demand for both that route and my S98 route, would there?)

The Woodbridge - Staten Island route would have to be NJT Operated. Just have the passengers dropped off at a station once inside SI. Honestly, too many legalities with MTA to have both companies operate one line. Think about the operation of the 139 with Academy. Academy tickets are not accepted on NJT buses. So, if MTA was to operate it, 100% that MTA will not accept NJT tickets and vice-versa if it was MetroCard on NJT Buses.

Out of curiosity, what fare would you charge? Like a 2-zone NJT fare or an express bus fare or what? (And I guess there wouldn't be enough demand for both that route and my S98 route, would there?)

- Haven't thought about an actual fare price, but I'd have such a route on a zoned fare structure....

I'll say this much though, from end to end would be no greater than the current #111 from PABT to jersey gardens (which is that $6.50).....

- Refresh my memory on your "S98" & I'll get to that last part of your post.

- Haven't thought about an actual fare price, but I'd have such a route on a zoned fare structure....

I'll say this much though, from end to end would be no greater than the current #111 from PABT to jersey gardens (which is that $6.50).....

- Refresh my memory on your "S98" & I'll get to that last part of your post.

Basically, the S98 would go straight across Forest, go over the Goethals Bridge, and then go down Broad Street to the Elizabeth NJT station. During rush hour, you'd still have buses serving Arlington. The frequencies to Elizabeth would be ~ 30 minutes all day, and current S98 service would probably remain as is (I'm not sure if I should replace a few of the Arlington buses with Elizabeth buses).

Basically, the S98 would go straight across Forest, go over the Goethals Bridge, and then go down Broad Street to the Elizabeth NJT station. During rush hour, you'd still have buses serving Arlington. The frequencies to Elizabeth would be ~ 30 minutes all day, and current S98 service would probably remain as is (I'm not sure if I should replace a few of the Arlington buses with Elizabeth buses).

(And I guess there wouldn't be enough demand for both that route and my S98 route, would there?)

Well for both, no, because there would be more people seeking either Jersey Gardens, (the area around) Nwk-Penn, or EWR before seeking service to downtown elizabeth (rail station, inclusive)..... Even though one could go to NJ for 2.25, they would still have to xfer to another bus (NJT) or the rail itself to get to where they need to go)......

Service on a type of route like I brought up in that last post would have to be significantly more infrequent than your S98, for demand for both routes to exist.....

Edited by B35 via Church