Burger King To Lure Customers With BBQ Sandwiches, Bacon Ice Cream Sundae.

KeystoneRegional

burger-king.jpg?w=300

Burger King sign (credit: By: Robyn Beck/AFP)

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork/AP) - "Talk about a whopper!

Burger King wants to lure customers this summer with a barbecue party — and a bacon sundae.

The world’s second biggest hamburger chain on Thursday is launching several pork, beef and chicken sandwiches as limited time offers. And for a sweet ending, the company is also offering a bacon sundae — vanilla soft serve with fudge, caramel, bacon crumbles and a piece of bacon — that started in Nashville, Tenn. earlier this year.

The salty-sweet dessert clocks in at 510 calories, 18 grams of fat and 61 grams of sugar.

The limited-time items are Burger King’s latest push to win back customers with a revived menu and reverse sliding market share, an effort that started soon after the company was taken private by the private equity firm 3G Capital in late 2010.

Earlier this year, Burger King launched its biggest-ever menu expansion including fruit smoothies, snack wraps and new salads. The items were intended to go after a broader audience of moms and families, a shift from the chain’s previous strategy of courting young men with calorie bombs.

Core menu items, such as French Fries and the Whopper, have also been tweaked as part of the company’s efforts to improve food quality. Burger King is trying to underscore its own focus on ingredients with a new tag line, Taste Is King,” which replaces “Have It Your Way.” A new ad has been celebrating summer barbecues to highlight the chain’s emphasis on fire-grilling burgers. The new summer items will be featured in ads starting Thursday.

This month, 3G plans to take Burger King public on the New York Stock Exchange.

Wendy’s is also revamping its menu to improve ingredients and recast itself as a higher-end burger chain. The makeovers by the hamburger giants come at a time when the traditional fast-food chains are seeing more competition from smaller players such as Five Guys Burgers and Smashburger that offer higher-quality food and alternatives such as Subway.

Burger King isn’t the only fast-food chain that’s trying to draw attention with unusual offerings. Taco Bell earlier this year introduced its tacos with Doritos shells and a “nacho burrito” that includes corn chips.

The rest of Burger King’s summer menu includes:

-Memphis Pulled

Pork BBQ Sandwich.

-Carolina BBQ Whopper or Chicken Sandwich.

-Texas BBQ Whopper or Chicken Sandwich.

-Sweet potato fries.

-Frozen Lemonade.

The items will be available through the summer or while supplies last."

What the hell is this? Lure customers?! Burger King's crap is sickening enough, but the concept here is beyond atrocious. There's a reason why the U.S. is in a nasty obesity epidemic, and it's because these places continually offer shitty "food" like this. Fatty, overly processed crap with no real value.

While this ain't as ridiculous as KFC's double-down "sandwich," it's still hilariously BAD, in both nutritional value and overall stupidity to try and sell this garbage!

Burger king has fallen off HARD.

Not to mention with Wendy's recently passing them to #2 at least here in the US, other burger joints such as Sonic and Jack in the Box will soon pass them by imo.

Concurring. If Burger Kings continues to get so desperate into luring this customers with bullshit ideas such as their bacon sundae, then we can expect Burger King to abdicate their throne in the top three.

Hell, the bacon sundae idea grosses me out more than that trout ice cream from Iron Chef America. *BLEH!*

Burger King has increased their prices yet they haven't done anything new. This is what is contributing to their downfall. Now they are doing something new but they are making their new goods expensive too. Another thing that would contribute to their downfall. All I can say is stupid, stupid, stupid.

Guest Lance

Wait just a minute here, didn't BK just go through an ad campaign with healthier food options on the menu? Did that fail so badly that they have to resort to stuff like a bacon sundae? Damn, that doesn't even sound appetizing. Just thinking about that brings something up my throat. There are some things that just shouldn't be combined. Bacon's good. So are sundaes. Separate that is. Together? Just, no.

Burger King has increased their prices yet they haven't done anything new. This is what is contributing to their downfall. Now they are doing something new but they are making their new goods expensive too. Another thing that would contribute to their downfall. All I can say is stupid, stupid, stupid.

Well I heard that spent millions revamping their menu, so of course they want to recoup some of that. What's funny is that folks say this stuff is so bad yet so many people are still stuffing faces with it, so is it really that bad?

Hell, the bacon sundae idea grosses me out more than that trout ice cream from Iron Chef America. *BLEH!*

Nah. I don't care for any kind of fish as is, never mind mixing it with ice cream. A bacon sundae would probably taste terrible, but not as bad as a fish sundae.

I'm just going to say this. Burger King is just doing it's job of making fast food and that's it. Burger King is not making people fat, people are. It's the people's choice and they are making the choice to go there and eat there every time, which is why they are fat. Don't blame the resturant blame the people who are making the choice to go there everyday. That's all folks.

I'm just going to say this. Burger King is just doing it's job of making fast food and that's it. Burger King is not making people fat, people are. It's the people's choice and they are making the choice to go there and eat there every time, which is why they are fat. Don't blame the resturant blame the people who are making the choice to go there everyday. That's all folks.

MC CJ for 90% of the population, you right that the public's horrible food choices has led to their weight issues/health issues. With that said, there is a small group of people who have gland/thryoid problems that causes them to be overweight and not just their food selection. Just wanted to clairfy.

Archived