Mac or PC?

• 4 weeks later...

In NY there's more money (and IT jobs) in Windows or Linux deployment when it comes to PC desktop or helpdesk support. Because the brunt of the job market here in the Big Apple lies with the financial firms which prefers to utilize PC user end equipment on server based networks for the cost savings in maintaining and optimizing them. (unlike other job markets say in Washington DC where there is more jobs towards technology and industry rather than finance, creating a much higher demand for Apple certified techs there.)

Therefore, for that reason alone I'll stick to PC's. Being I'll be in NYC for a hot minute and do what I have to do to pay the bills.

Aha! Make sure you check the BIOS settings for that, that's where you do the "overclocking" basically, Just hope whatever cooler that's on the CPU can handle it, and your power supply!

A bit late on this but this is correct. The user may have to update the BIOS settings (Flashing the BIOS) if the current BIOS doesn't support overclocking the CPU in question.

However overclocking the CPU can cause overheating to the system and damaging its components. At the very least, the motherboard's bus speed (and it's components) may not support it resulting in boot failures until the user reverses the overclock in the BIOS settings.

High temperature is unlikely to cook a system these days. It's not like the good ol' days where few chips had temperature sensors on them -- and even the ones that did rarely had thermal shutdown routines in the system firmware. Just put the biggest cooler you can fit on there and call it a day.

True, in the case of the latest consumer end technology offerred today although it can still happen pretty often. Overclocking is not as risque.

In the workplace however it's a different story where a tech may have to work with older computers lacking the latest technology all the time fighting with a host of software related problems. I guess I was looking at it from that angle.

I'm getting thrown into the dust! Windows 8 looks depressing. Windows 7 is getting old. Unity (Linux) is lowly customization-proof (Can't move the dock!). And the only way I'm gonna use Mac is by making a Hackintosh with a used Core 2 Duo (High Core i5 Prices). :(

Mac or PC… They are the same hardware now practically. The main difference is the operating system. It's been shown that Windows can be installed on Apple hardware and Mac OS X can be installed on off-the-shelf "PC" hardware.

High temperature is unlikely to cook a system these days. It's not like the good ol' days where few chips had temperature sensors on them -- and even the ones that did rarely had thermal shutdown routines in the system firmware. Just put the biggest cooler you can fit on there and call it a day.

I'm slapping a Thermaltake Frio in my setup, that thing's pretty massive

• 5 months later...

Archived