Midday/Weekend service involving the C/E/F & G

Novabus 5000

I was thinking about this the other day. Would there be the possibility that during Midday and Weekend service, the C could run up to WTC using the E train terminal, the E could go to 2nd Ave, the F could go to Euclid and then the G would go up to Coney Island. Personally, I think it could work. The equipment would be the same for the most part (granted then you might see an R46 E here and there) but I think it could work. Any thoughts?

Guest Lance

(C) to WTC during middays/weekends? Yeah, no. After how long it took to get 19/7 (C) line service to Brooklyn, I doubt riders would be willing to give it up that fast. And what would serve the local during those times, the (A)? Again, yeah, no.

(E) to 2 Av? No. Not only is it not necessary, it isn't exactly feasible without some creative planning with both the (F) and (M) using the local tracks on Sixth Avenue through the Chrystie Street cut.

(G) to Coney Island/ (F) to Euclid Av? Well, that answers my question above as to what would run local on Fulton St, but it still isn't necessary.

All in all, the only thing these ideas would do is make more people have to transfer between trains to get to their destinations. For instance, someone traveling from Sixth Avenue to Culver would have to take the (F) to Hoyt-Schermerhorn and transfer to the (G) to get to Culver instead of the current method of just staying on the (F). That issue repeats itself over and over in each of your "ideas". The fact is, the system isn't broken, so why are you trying to fix it? Also, the only reason why these service changes ( (C) to WTC/ (E) to 2 Av/ (F) to Euclid w/ (G) to Stillwell) exist is because of track work that forces lines elsewhere. Those G.O.-related service patterns should not be the basis behind proposed normal service ones.

He also never said WHY? Thats the most important question. I notice a lot of railfans want to change things up because they're fed up with the way things are out there and wants to change their "experience" (like, say R160 equipment on the Fulton line is a whole different "experience" than the R32/46 out there now). And this change is for no other reason than that, but that can't be publicized so something else is made up to supplant that.

Archived