When will the (MTA) start adding more weekend service to other lines?

I would also say that (7) could use increased service. I'm not sure what could really be done though as the service is not bad at all. It's similar to the Lexington Avenue... Good service but too many crowds... Perhaps the (MTA) realizes this which is why they've created the weekend deal on the LIRR.

7 train service on the weekend is ok, this coming from a daily user. No way can you compare the crowds to Lex, but yeah, there are some crowds, especially between TSQ and QBP (hipsters), and some noticeable groups until 74-Bway (mainly for the airport). On days the Mets play, however, totally different story. Also applies during the US Open. If anything, they should increase it to 4-5 Mintues from 6:30 am to 10 am, and from 3 pm to 7:30 pm, because most of the users are immigrants, and most work not just weekdays, but also weekends, and need to get to their jobs (mainly construction), so yeah service could be beefed up.

Well, once they finish implementing CBTC on that line and take delivery of the final R188 cars, those problems should be at least partially mitigated. It would be nice to see express service implemented on the weekends after this capacity expansion project for the (7) is complete.

I would agree with that. Express service should be added on the weekends because so many people take the (7) to Flushing and it is quite a schlepp on the local. In fact it would be great to have express <7> service in both directions for the weekdays and weekends.

They frankly should. Like I said before, most people who use the line are immigrants, and they don't have the usual 9 to 5, Monday to Friday scehadule, so this would really help. The only time they offer express service on the weekends is after Mets games (which ironically skips my stop, Junction Blvd), and this sorta causes resentment along the community, causing many to chafe at the MTA.

It sucks the way the line was only built with 1 express track. It's got to suck to ride it all the way out to Flushing and then transfer to a bus on top of that.

Hah, now you know what I (and many other people) suffer on a daily basis. They should really extend it eastward to Bell Blvd, but that's another story for another time.

The (7) Midday express should return. The ridership was there but just another victim of the budget cuts.

FYI. VG8 there already weekend (7) service for Mets games during the season.

Thank you! This should really happen, should help alleviate crowds at 74-Bway, since many transfer here for faster (E)(F) service- adding more crowds to an already overburdened line.

I don't think it would've saved much money anyway. It costs more to run a train local than it does to run it express because of longer runtimes. I think it had more to do with GOs. (Remember: Frequency costs, speed saves)

It didn't. In all likelihood, it was probably a service cut dressed up as an "improvement."

I've done it and it sucks royally going from Grand Central to Flushing local then having to switch and wait for a local bus... I would've taken the express bus but my colleague hates riding express buses so I schlepped on the subway. <_<

*Dresses up as the soup nazi from Seinfeld* No express bus for you!! ;-) The X51 got cut, and the QM3 only runs on rush hours, if those were the routes you were talking about. If you were talking about the QM2/QM20, their weekend headways and service in general need to be improved. Like I said before, improve the headways on the local, introduce express on the weekdays with 8-12 min headways, and maybe service should improve. Better dispatching from Main/TSQ could help too, because there is bunching that screws it up. And they should extend the 7 eastward.

Well what about when the R188s and all of that comes in?

You're not the only one waiting for those new trains, one ardent and impatient railfanner who just happens to be obsessed with the 7 line is also waiting for them too.

Tell me about it... Those (7) trains are a mess in the midday in both directions. Doesn't help that the people that ride are beyond rude. Pushing and shoving and such... <_<

Hey, we're tired! ;-) Well, in any case, if I was one of those people by any chance, I am deeply sorry for pushing and shoving you, Señor Via. I'm sorta of a impatient person, and I probably mistook you for a tourist anyway. But yeah, there is no excuse for the behavior of some people on the 7....some really need to improve their etiquette. But this is the subway, you just sigh, move your head, and move on. That's life, and that's the way it is, to use a line from Walter Cronkite.

Weekend (7) service for Mets games has nothing to do with weekend (7) service in general... The line could use any additional express service it could get.

Yes, it should. Peak hour express service, maybe all-day express service might be pushing it, but the (7) needs it.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People who use the (2)(3) anywhere between 135 St and Franklin Ave or Nostrand Ave (3) or President St (2)(Nostrand/EP and President/Nostrand are just two little blocks apart, so those who boarded anywhere west of Nostrand can use either train and either stop if they want to go to the Nostrand/EP/President area) probably did not care or even notice that the weekend (2) was cut from 10 minutes (6 TPH) to 12 (5 TPH) because the weekend (2)(3) together still make service every 6 minutes on average, which is good enough for them.

Those people might as well be calling them the (23) train. :) They be like, what is this (2)? What is this (3)? These trains have no distinct identities to me just because they serve different parts of the Bronx/Harlem/eastern Brooklyn! What is this "New Lots Ave?" What is this "Utica Ave?" What is this "Junction?" All I care about is my Manhattan/Downtown Brooklyn/Park Slope/Prospect Heights-centricity. And so on and so forth.

Good points overall. Yes, I myself am one of those " (2)(3)" users :lol:, although I do know the difference between the two...Still, I'm not buying your argument that the (C) has gotten special treatment. Remember, it's the least frequent line in the whole system on weekdays, and it's consistently gotten bad ratings from the Straphangers Campaign. Yes, I know that the (2) was rated pretty badly also but I think that the (2) train's woes come more from bunching than infrequent service. I don't see how upset you can be that the (2) comes every 12 minutes not every 10 minutes on weekends like the (C). It's only a two minute difference. The real problem is when you've waited your 12 minutes and then the train shows up 5 minutes late or something...

But, who knows. If I was a Nostrand Av or WPR rider, I might have a different perspective on these things...

7 train service on the weekend is ok, this coming from a daily user. No way can you compare the crowds to Lex, but yeah, there are some crowds, especially between TSQ and QBP (hipsters), and some noticeable groups until 74-Bway (mainly for the airport). On days the Mets play, however, totally different story. Also applies during the US Open. If anything, they should increase it to 4-5 Mintues from 6:30 am to 10 am, and from 3 pm to 7:30 pm, because most of the users are immigrants, and most work not just weekdays, but also weekends, and need to get to their jobs (mainly construction), so yeah service could be beefed up.

If the (7) train riders didn't act like savages I wouldn't compare the (7) line to the Lexington Avenue line, but those folks on the (7) are beyond rude. I couldn't believe the level of pushing and shoving and banging. I mean the Lexington Avenue line may be crowded but for most part people don't suddenly lose manners on all levels. I hate to say it but it could be the amount of immigrant neighborhoods along the (7) line with some folks not being used to American customs. The way they push and shove you would think it was the last train of the day or something. <_<

You're not the only one waiting for those new trains, one ardent and impatient railfanner who just happens to be obsessed with the 7 line is also waiting for them too.

I'm all for them but I would hate to see the (6) line loose its cars...

Hey, we're tired! ;-) Well, in any case, if I was one of those people by any chance, I am deeply sorry for pushing and shoving you, Señor Via. I'm sorta of a impatient person, and I probably mistook you for a tourist anyway. But yeah, there is no excuse for the behavior of some people on the 7....some really need to improve their etiquette. But this is the subway, you just sigh, move your head, and move on. That's life, and that's the way it is, to use a line from Walter Cronkite.

lol... I don't care what the situation is. I do not take kindly to folks pushing and shoving, which is one reason why I avoid the subway and try to use it during off hours because I become extremely heated and I will shove them right on the floor without thinking about it or do something vicious to make them think twice about pulling that crap again. Yesterday on the (1) train, this couple gets on at 72nd street. Now instead of moving into the damn train where there is space they come and pack up against me as I've already taken my spot by the door and I whirled around and gave them the look like do that again and I'm going to knock you out and then moved to the space that they should've taken since they lacked common sense. <_< They knew exactly what they were doing. Yes they were Indian (religious) type, but regardless, manners is due. I don't care where folks are from and if they don't get give I'll simply demand it.

Yes, it should. Peak hour express service, maybe all-day express service might be pushing it, but the (7) needs it.

I wouldn't say that it is pushing it. The service would be used.

The (5) could use expanded Bowling Green hours (until at least 11:30pm N/B) on Saturday nights to help out with the (2) and (4) crowding.

The (G) should run on QB to help the (R) on weekends.

The (2), (3), and (5) could go back to 10 minute headways on Saturdays at least during the afternoons, although the (5) would still be uneven with the (4) in terms of headways.

If the (7) train riders didn't act like savages I wouldn't compare the (7) line to the Lexington Avenue line, but those folks on the (7) are beyond rude. I couldn't believe the level of pushing and shoving and banging. I mean the Lexington Avenue line may be crowded but for most part people don't suddenly lose manners on all levels. I hate to say it but it could be the amount of immigrant neighborhoods along the (7) line with some folks not being used to American customs. The way they push and shove you would think it was the last train of the day or something. <_<

I'm sorry, i am not trying to make a fight here or any kind of discussion, but i am imigrant, (no i do not use the (7) line.. i use the (M) ) and i see american people with worst customs than imigrants. It's a bit arrogant to say it is fault of imigrant people.

The (5) could use expanded Bowling Green hours (until at least 11:30pm N/B) on Saturday nights to help out with the (2) and (4) crowding.

The (G) should run on QB to help the (R) on weekends.

The (2), (3), and (5) could go back to 10 minute headways on Saturdays at least during the afternoons, although the (5) would still be uneven with the (4) in terms of headways.

I think the way it is now, is perfect for the (5) before it ends. I'd rather extend the (5) to Mott Avenue and layup on 138th M track. Gives the Dyre Customers a direct access to the IRT (4).

The (G) I would like to see it get extended back. The (R) needs the help. UNLESS they extend the (M) on Weekends (except Late Night).

(2) / (5) WPR headways seems ok. The (2) / (3) needs to be fixed. Many times theres a (2) /( 3) coming right behind each other at 2-3 min, instead of spacing them. This causes a wait of up to 10min, which I've gone thru and still do.

Hah, now you know what I (and many other people) suffer on a daily basis. They should really extend it eastward to Bell Blvd, but that's another story for another time.

Well, I always knew. Fortunately, I don't have to deal with that (I mean, when I was a little kid, we knew somebody in Flushing, and we would sometimes visit on the weekends. I liked traveling to new areas of the city, so I didn't mind the long ride, but as an adult coming back from work, no thanks)

FWIW, when I lived in Brooklyn, it was pretty far out on the weekends with the (Q), but I think the (7) would be slower.

*Dresses up as the soup nazi from Seinfeld* No express bus for you!! ;-) The X51 got cut, and the QM3 only runs on rush hours, if those were the routes you were talking about. If you were talking about the QM2/QM20, their weekend headways and service in general need to be improved. Like I said before, improve the headways on the local, introduce express on the weekdays with 8-12 min headways, and maybe service should improve. Better dispatching from Main/TSQ could help too, because there is bunching that screws it up. And they should extend the 7 eastward.

I think he mentioned the QM4 and then transferring to a bus going northward.

It's a shame that all the areas are built-up now, so any hope there was of getting a fourth track is gone. :(

Still, I'm not buying your argument that the (C) has gotten special treatment.

(This is to everybody who's talking about the political influence of (2) riders vs. (C) riders)

I'm not sure if it's really due to political influence. I mean, the (2) does serve LIRR riders at Atlantic Avenue, and I think the area by Clark Street is pretty influential, since it's Brooklyn Heights. It also more-or-less serves the same areas in Manhattan as the (C), and keep in mind that a lot of the areas along the (C) in Brooklyn likely have as little political influence as the South Bronx.

If the (7) train riders didn't act like savages I wouldn't compare the (7) line to the Lexington Avenue line, but those folks on the (7) are beyond rude.

I remember one of my friends saying that her mother didn't want her to take the (7) to school because she didn't like the people living by there. :ph34r: It turned out she didn't even really live too close to the (7) so it didn't make a difference (she lived closer to the Queens Blvd line). Now it really doesn't make a difference because she's not going to school in SI anymore. :( (It'd be nice if we had that "cry" icon back)

(This is to everybody who's talking about the political influence of (2) riders vs. (C) riders)

I'm not sure if it's really due to political influence. I mean, the (2) does serve LIRR riders at Atlantic Avenue, and I think the area by Clark Street is pretty influential, since it's Brooklyn Heights. It also more-or-less serves the same areas in Manhattan as the (C), and keep in mind that a lot of the areas along the (C) in Brooklyn likely have as little political influence as the South Bronx.

Those areas are served by the (3) as well...

I think the way it is now, is perfect for the (5) before it ends. I'd rather extend the (5) to Mott Avenue and layup on 138th M track. Gives the Dyre Customers a direct access to the IRT (4).

The (G) I would like to see it get extended back. The (R) needs the help. UNLESS they extend the (M) on Weekends (except Late Night).

(2) / (5) WPR headways seems ok. The (2) / (3) needs to be fixed. Many times theres a (2) /( 3) coming right behind each other at 2-3 min, instead of spacing them. This causes a wait of up to 10min, which I've gone thru and still do.

How about both, extend the late night (5) to 149 St, but have Saturday service leave Bowling Green until 11:30pm, or 12:00am midnight (since Saturday night is one of the busier nights, the (6) even runs slightly more frequent at that time on Saturday evening than weekday evenings).

(G) is cheaper than the (M) so it is easier to get the MTA to consider. The (R) could even run on QB an extra hour or so on late Saturday evenings (early Sunday mornings) if needed while the (E) runs express for an extra hour (around 1am).

MTA could cut the (Q) back to 57 St during middays for some savings. The (R) shuttle could run for an extra hour or two on Sunday mornings while the (E) runs local for a bit longer (trade off, (R) stays on QB a bit longer on Saturday night in exchange for a bit less time Sunday mornings between 6-8am).

I didn't mean by levels rudeness, but by levels of crowding. No way can you compare the amount of crowding that is on the IRT Flushing to levels on the Lex- the Lex is more crowded, definitely. And hey, just because most of us who use the (7) are immigrants, does't mean that we're automatically rude. People do lose their manners on all levels on the Lex, apparently, you might want to ride the (4)(5) lines a little bit more.

I'm all for them but I would hate to see the (6) line loose its cars...

Jeez, you're sounding chrisliz09 for a sec there. It'll still be the same service, same line, same everything- just different cars. People are just going to have to look at the rollsins and listen to teh announcements, for once.

lol... I don't care what the situation is. I do not take kindly to folks pushing and shoving, which is one reason why I avoid the subway and try to use it during off hours because I become extremely heated and I will shove them right on the floor without thinking about it or do something vicious to make them think twice about pulling that crap again. Yesterday on the (1) train, this couple gets on at 72nd street. Now instead of moving into the damn train where there is space they come and pack up against me as I've already taken my spot by the door and I whirled around and gave them the look like do that again and I'm going to knock you out and then moved to the space that they should've taken since they lacked common sense. <_< They knew exactly what they were doing. Yes they were Indian (religious) type, but regardless, manners is due. I don't care where folks are from and if they don't get give I'll simply demand it.

Neither do I, but you accept it and move on. Sure, when somebody shoves, I'll glare at them, but I'm not looking for a confrontation. Looks like somebody needs a chill pill and cool out for a while. Yeah, we as humans can get pissed really easily, but "shove them right on the floor" or "do something extremely vicious" - that is a little extreme. Not everyone can be perfect riders, and yes, people need to improve on their etiquette, but cime on. That reaction is bit too extreme, and if you don't pick your confrontations easily, you might get one to big to handle. IF anything, wait for the next train or move to the next car. No need to start something over something small.

I wouldn't say that it is pushing it. The service would be used.

Yeah, that service would be greatly appreciated here, but all-day express service is pushing it. Might be useful for the weekdays (where I would fight for it 100%), but for the weekends, peak hour, peak directional express service might be just fine.

Well, I always knew. Fortunately, I don't have to deal with that (I mean, when I was a little kid, we knew somebody in Flushing, and we would sometimes visit on the weekends. I liked traveling to new areas of the city, so I didn't mind the long ride, but as an adult coming back from work, no thanks)

Yeah, it's a pain. You deal with it and move on.

FWIW, when I lived in Brooklyn, it was pretty far out on the weekends with the (Q), but I think the (7) would be slower.

Yeah, it's slow, but the local is not as slow as some might think. When it could, it could actually be pretty fast.

Could be, that's one way. QM4 as a route is pretty good, IMO, it's really fast and convient.

It's a shame that all the areas are built-up now, so any hope there was of getting a fourth track is gone. :(

Yeah, a fourth track would really help with crowding and such on the (7). The question is, even if there were a fourth track, would it be used, or would be like other stretches such as the Brighton or Sea Beach lines, where there is a fourth track but it's either unused or gone.

I remember one of my friends saying that her mother didn't want her to take the (7) to school because she didn't like the people living by there. :ph34r: It turned out she didn't even really live too close to the (7) so it didn't make a difference (she lived closer to the Queens Blvd line). Now it really doesn't make a difference because she's not going to school in SI anymore. :( (It'd be nice if we had that "cry" icon back)

Like i said to Via, yeah, some people are really rude, but you deal with it and move. Shake your head, glare at them, whatever, but move on.

I'm sorry, i am not trying to make a fight here or any kind of discussion, but i am imigrant, (no i do not use the (7) line.. i use the (M) ) and i see american people with worst customs than imigrants. It's a bit arrogant to say it is fault of imigrant people.

Let me clarify myself. I've lived in various places around the world and have interacted with various cultures. Can Americans be rude? Of course and they're rude daily es. My point was that there is a difference between a rude American who just wasn't taught proper manners and foreigners. When I lived in Europe for example, I noticed that Europeans seemed to have this knack of having much closer body contact than Americans and that they'll bang into you without any excuse me or anything. They don't see it as rude and just dismiss it even though it clearly is rude. What I saw on the (7) train was a train that wasn't all that crowded yet people got on pushing and shoving looking around for seats as if the world was coming to an end. Reminded me of seeing those dudes that shove folks into the train in parts of Asia. That's exactly how they were conducting themselves even though the train wasn't crowded and I found it very strange. I mean yeah, if the Lexington Avenue line is crowded, people may bang into each other because there is nowhere to go and that is understandable in a packed car but to have people rush on to the train pushing and shoving unnecessary for no reason but lack of cultural awareness is pretty rude. That was my point. New Yorkers in general are rude, but there is rude and there is rude and I think you see my point now. Imagine walking onto a uncrowded train and having someone just shove you in for no reason. That is rude.

Yep, it would've been a nicer ride on the QM4, but thanks to my co-worker I had to scrap that. <_<

lol... The (7) doesn't suffer from any riff raff and is quiet... Just that people lack manners with the pushing and shoving.

I didn't mean by levels rudeness, but by levels of crowding. No way can you compare the amount of crowding that is on the IRT Flushing to levels on the Lex- the Lex is more crowded, definitely. And hey, just because most of us who use the (7) are immigrants, does't mean that we're automatically rude. People do lose their manners on all levels on the Lex, apparently, you might want to ride the (4)(5) lines a little bit more.

Yes I know what you meant and while folks can be rude on the Lexington Avenue line, they do have at least enough common courtesy to know that you step to the side to let people exit the train and don't shove folks into the train.

Jeez, you're sounding chrisliz09 for a sec there. It'll still be the same service, same line, same everything- just different cars. People are just going to have to look at the rollsins and listen to teh announcements, for once.

No, not the same service... The AC in those cars suck. They're darker with less lighting too... Overall a much more depressing ride...

Neither do I, but you accept it and move on. Sure, when somebody shoves, I'll glare at them, but I'm not looking for a confrontation. Looks like somebody needs a chill pill and cool out for a while. Yeah, we as humans can get pissed really easily, but "shove them right on the floor" or "do something extremely vicious" - that is a little extreme. Not everyone can be perfect riders, and yes, people need to improve on their etiquette, but cime on. That reaction is bit too extreme, and if you don't pick your confrontations easily, you might get one to big to handle. IF anything, wait for the next train or move to the next car. No need to start something over something small.

I generally try to use the train when I know there is less crowding for that reason and I do let trains pass by so I don't have these situations much. That's also why I use the express bus as much as possible. That isn't to say that folks aren't rude on the express bus, since you have the seats positioned the way that they are it makes it more difficult to be banged into and so forth.

Like i said to Via, yeah, some people are really rude, but you deal with it and move. Shake your head, glare at them, whatever, but move on.

I agree with you. People can be annoying, but they always were and they always will be, IMO. Sometimes you just have to deal with it and not let it bother you.

Of course, there are a lot of people in this world who think it's fun to let it bother them... :P

You people are asking for too much. There is NO line in the system THAT crowded to justify more trains on the weekends. One, it's tough to get a grasp on weekend ridership patterns because in many cases there are G.O.'s that mess around with service. Even then I feel people are assuming the service is on schedule. When I ride the (2) on weekends I notice the crowds are tolerable when the trains are on time. When they're not, it's a whole different issue. Same for the (6). You need a certain amount of time for crowds to build up at the stations for trains to meet their loading guidelines, I have no problem with current service levels on weekends, just get rid of G.O.'s.

You people are asking for too much. There is NO line in the system THAT crowded to justify more trains on the weekends.

One, it's tough to get a grasp on weekend ridership patterns because in many cases there are G.O.'s that mess around with service.

Exactly my sentiments when I skimmed through this thread before my initial post....

I'm wondering how much more weekend service whoever's advocating for it, wants.....

You people are asking for too much. There is NO line in the system THAT crowded to justify more trains on the weekends. One, it's tough to get a grasp on weekend ridership patterns because in many cases there are G.O.'s that mess around with service. Even then I feel people are assuming the service is on schedule. When I ride the (2) on weekends I notice the crowds are tolerable when the trains are on time. When they're not, it's a whole different issue. Same for the (6). You need a certain amount of time for crowds to build up at the stations for trains to meet their loading guidelines, I have no problem with current service levels on weekends, just get rid of G.O.'s.

You're right. I hadn't thought of this, but it makes sense.

Exactly my sentiments when I skimmed through this thread before my initial post....

I'm wondering how much more weekend service whoever's advocating for it, wants.....

Even the (MTA) has admitted that people are using the subway more on the weekends, which is one reason why they're trying not to do so much work on the weekends. My point is that ridership IS increasing on the weekends and ridership overall on the subways is increasing, and certainly enough to the point to where at some point service increases should be considered. It isn't an issue of the headways being terrible or even trains not being on time because I've been seeing that the trains are not delayed prone when I've been on them and there have been no G.O.'s either. More folks are riding and the trains are packed like rush hour on the weekends, so to answer the question, how much more service do I want?? Service should match the ridership patterns. If you're getting trains packed to the point that folks almost can't get on (which is what is happening on the (1) line at certain times of the day) then yes you should consider adding service, AT LEAST during the summer, particularly on Saturday when naturally ridership will be higher. I don't think that is asking for too much.

What is happening in this city is that areas that were thought of as undesirable are now becoming popular and you've got folks flocking to them because other areas are either at capacity in terms of expansion or are too expensive, so folks are moving further uptown and those areas are developing and increasing in population. It's clear to me that no one has been paying attention to this because if they were, they would understand that as these areas become popular that more transportation will be needed. I also remember reading somewhere that the younger generation is more open to using public transportation, particularly the subways and this too seems to be evident when I've been riding on the weekends... Mainly young folks that look like transplants to be honest.

While we're on this topic, it would be interesting to see if someone could find anything that talks about ridership stats on the weekends for the subway and see what those figures look since some seem to think that service increases aren't justified.

A perfect example of this would be the population explosion along the (L) line and to some extent even the (J) train. I would like to see how much the population has grown in recent years on the (L) line. The (MTA) must pay attention to these things and address them.

My point is that ridership IS increasing on the weekends and ridership overall on the subways is increasing, and certainly enough to the point to where at some point service increases should be considered.

It isn't an issue of the headways being terrible or even trains not being on time because I've been seeing that the trains are not delayed prone when I've been on them and there have been no G.O.'s either.

More folks are riding and the trains are packed like rush hour on the weekends, so to answer the question, how much more service do I want?? Service should match the ridership patterns

Contradictory.

It exactly is an "issue of the headways" if you're asking the question - When will the MTA start adding MORE weekend service to other lines....

You can not boost service on a particular line without increasing the frequency of service - which is what "MORE weekend service" constitutes....

Making a vague statement like service should match ridership patterns, doesn't answer the question of how much more weekend service do you want on w/e other line(s) to suffice for w/e ridership increases there are on the weekend.... I can make that same vague statement in a response to uneven distribution of weekend service on a particular line throughout the day - which I don't think anyone's really claiming....

Anyway, I'm not doubting weekend ridership increases on certain lines - I'm questioning the (seemingly) dire nature which is yielding additional service being called for in response to it...

I don't have a problem w/ current weekend service levels either.... While I won't necessarily outright say get rid of G.O's (b/c w/e necessary work has to be done at some point), G.O's on other lines are a factor as to why certain lines are more jammed on the weekends also... Which is why I feel the notion of adding more weekend service is jumping the gun, so to speak.....

Contradictory.

It exactly is an "issue of the headways" if you're asking the question - When will the MTA start adding MORE weekend service to other lines....

You can not boost service on a particular line without increasing the frequency of service - which is what "MORE weekend service" constitutes....

Making a vague statement like service should match ridership patterns, doesn't answer the question of how much more weekend service do you want on w/e other line(s) to suffice for w/e ridership increases there are on the weekend.... I can make that same vague statement in a response to uneven distribution of weekend service on a particular line throughout the day - which I don't think anyone's really claiming....

Anyway, I'm not doubting weekend ridership increases on certain lines - I'm questioning the (seemingly) dire nature which is yielding additional service being called for in response to it...

I don't have a problem w/ current weekend service levels either.... While I won't necessarily outright say get rid of G.O's (b/c w/e necessary work has to be done at some point), G.O's on other lines are a factor as to why certain lines are more jammed on the weekends also... Which is why I feel the notion of adding more weekend service is jumping the gun, so to speak.....

Actually I did specify when more service is needed... I said that certain times during the summer in particular on Saturdays in the afternoons, more service is needed. For example, on the (1) line, I believe trains are running about every 8-9 minutes for most of the heavy segments of the day. I would have trains running about every 6 minutes during those times.

I should also be clear in saying that I'm not advocating for tons of service on all lines. There are just a handful of lines that need more weekend service at certain times and the (1) would be one of them. I would also run the (B) to Brighton Beach on weekends to give folks 6th Avenue access and terminate the (B) at 145th street. The (F) should have more weekend service, as it seems to take FOREVER to get a train that goes to 2nd Avenue if you're at say 34th street particularly since there is no (V) train now and of course the (M) doesn't serve 2nd Avenue. I kept thinking that maybe it was because I was hammered, having just left one bar to go get more booze, but I've been sober going to get booze down by the Bowery and it's been the same thing.

Are you saying that if the service frequencies are adequate then that means that service shouldn't be further enhanced if needed? I mean on the one hand you say that you don't doubt that ridership has increased on the weekends, but on the other hand you say that you don't have a problem with the frequencies. Overall, I would agree with that in that I feel the frequencies are generally fine, but even so if the trains are crushloaded particularly during the afternoons on Saturdays, then more service should be added during those times.

Actually I did specify when more service is needed... I said that certain times during the summer in particular on Saturdays in the afternoons, more service is needed. For example, on the (1) line, I believe trains are running about every 8-9 minutes for most of the heavy segments of the day. I would have trains running about every 6 minutes during those times.

...and for every 7-8 trains/hour during the heavy segments/time periods on the (1), how many of them aren't packed to the point that riders almost can't get on? Matter fact, how many of em can easily be boarded by riders? Don't tell me none, because I know that is just flat out false.... To suggest that 2 extra TPH or w/e during those segments on the weekends should be added on the 1, would have one think that each & every one of those trains are packed.....

....since you say it's not a headway issue.

Archived