When will the (MTA) start adding more weekend service to other lines?

The only hope for that is all those high rises being built around Brighton Beach (at least the last time I was out there). As long as the people moving into them aren't elderly, or Sabbath-observers, then you may be able to justify express service, depending on how many more are built. I know over 20 years ago, when it was still the (D), it used to be pretty crowded. Sat. mornings (but there was not as much service back then).

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I take the (1) just about every day....the main reason why it's "crowded" is because everyone wants to ride in either the first, fifth or sixth car...I always go to the last car and alas there is always a seat (several actually lol)

Even second to last car will do the trick.

On the weekend (2) the middle of the train tends to be crush-loaded on the way to FB (though this might depend on whether the trains are bunched), yet I almost always seem to find a seat in the first car. Conductor's car tends to be [much] more crowded than T/O's for some reason at all times of day and every day of the week. I know most people find it safer to ride in a car where a crew member is present, but I find it a bit weird that they all seem to gravitate towards C/R's car. I guess because they feel that if there is an emergency the C/R is more easily available, or at least it is just something that started years ago and has lingered from generation to generation. Makes sense as far as safety goes. It is weird with the (2) though, I would think the first car would carry a lot more people since the first car leaves you at the stub end of FB terminal and that is the busiest station on the Nostrand Ave subway.

I only mention that for comparison because I was wondering how easy it is to get a seat in the first or second car on a northbound (particularly weekend) (1). I forget how easy/difficult it is.

I remember when I was a conductor the (1) was on a 6 min headway on weekends (during the summer) and the train never looked crowded at all. When the cuts brought it down to 8 mins it seemed crowded in Manhattan, even when I kept the train on time (by working to be ahead of schedule when the train is still empty uptown).

I remember when I was a conductor the (1) was on a 6 min headway on weekends (during the summer) and the train never looked crowded at all. When the cuts brought it down to 8 mins it seemed crowded in Manhattan, even when I kept the train on time (by working to be ahead of schedule when the train is still empty uptown).

Interesting note...

It is weird with the (2) though, I would think the first car would carry a lot more people since the first car leaves you at the stub end of FB terminal and that is the busiest station on the Nostrand Ave subway.

Nah, there aren't near as many ppl. riding out to the junction on the weekend.... Of w/e Brooklyn pax are on a SB 2 on a weekend, most of them tend to fizzle out at franklin (this is usually the point where if you're standing on a weekend 2 train, you're bound to get a seat almost 100% of the time).... south of church, you tend to get to the point where there's less than a handful of ppl/car.....

Of course, since a lot of BC students use it weekdays. Last year that station was #63 in weekday ridership, but weekends it was #91!

Almost 100% of the time...well I boarded a train in car #6 at Grand Army Plaza Saturday and took it to Newkirk, and it was SRO with a good number of standees including myself until we exited at Newkirk. I am not kidding you, all seats in car #6 were taken until we reached that stop. At GAP it was not like the Lex/Canarsie lines during the week, but still it was loaded to the point where I was kinda jogging from door to door attempting to find more room. Also when I exited at Newkirk the clock said the follower was due up in 4 minutes. Second follower due up in 15.

I do not know if the crowding of the train I rode was due to bunching or what. I only waited 3 minutes for that (2) once I entered GAP station and it was the first train to show up after I entered GAP station, but whatever. I do not know how far ahead the leader was.

Also a couple of months ago on a Sunday afternoon I took a (2) from President to FB and was moving ahead one car each time the doors opened at stations. I boarded in car #7 or 8 and I remember at least one or two cars being SRO. I think the train was on-time or at least close because its leader was sitting on one pocket track at FB when it arrived on the other pocket track.

.....well I boarded a train in car #6 at Grand Army Plaza Saturday and took it to Newkirk, and it was SRO with a good number of standees including myself until we exited at Newkirk. I am not kidding you, all seats in car #6 were taken until we reached that stop. At GAP it was not like the Lex/Canarsie lines during the week, but still it was loaded to the point where I was kinda jogging from door to door attempting to find more room. Also when I exited at Newkirk the clock said the follower was due up in 4 minutes. Second follower due up in 15.

I do not know if the crowding of the train I rode was due to bunching or what. I only waited 3 minutes for that (2) once I entered GAP station and it was the first train to show up after I entered GAP station, but whatever. I do not know how far ahead the leader was.

Also a couple of months ago on a Sunday afternoon I took a (2) from President to FB and was moving ahead one car each time the doors opened at stations. I boarded in car #7 or 8 and I remember at least one or two cars being SRO. I think the train was on-time or at least close because its leader was sitting on one pocket track at FB when it arrived on the other pocket track.

1st scenario, that sounds like the train you was on, was either late &/or delayed by a 3 that was in front of it before that hit franklin....

I've been on 2's on a saturday during the afternoon where trains still have a significant load after I get off (Church), but that is very rare.....

2nd scenario... I'm not stunned that 1 or 2 cars were SRO @ president on a sunday..... the 7th & 8th cars being packed suggests to me that those were most likely riders that boarded at atlantic..... the question is though, where did the bulk of those people get off?

Did not notice. I was in car #4 or 5 upon leaving Church, 3 or 4 upon leaving Beverley, 2 or 3 upon leaving Newkirk. Started seeing seats when I reached car #3. 2 and 1 had seats, 4 maybe or maybe not, 5 probably not, and 6-8 none at all from what I remember. That means most of them went at Church or Newkirk if you go by the logic that they stayed in that part of the train specifically to be at those exits. If the bulk of them did not go at those stops, then it means they went at FB and just did not feel like moving to another part of the train when it arrived at the station(s) at which they boarded.

Either way most of the people on the whole train are probably going to go at FB on any trip since that station gets so many more people than Church. It could be that Church/Newkirk Ave riders tend to stick to certain cars while Junction riders are more evenly distributed throughout the train. Why, I do not know. I have some ideas as to why and will state them upon request; I am kinda throwing stuff out here.

PM rush hours I do notice that when a train pulls into FB and I look down the length of the platform I see the crowd of people as long as the train. A lot of people too. During those times it is often difficult to get from the main entrance to the west platform if a train has just pulled in on track 2 since there are so many people. Even funnier if you try to do what I once did (getting to the west platform while walking the bike) during PM rush as soon as a (5) came.

In case you were wondering, on this branch line the order of the stations from busiest to least busy is FB, Church, Newkirk, Winthrop, Sterling, Beverley, President.

There's a much cheaper way to help the (R) than extending the (M) (and leaving Brooklyn just as bad as before) - just add, say, 2 more (R) s every hour.

The other problem on the R is reliability, which is rather strange because the (R) only shares tracks with the (N). Anyone know why (R) s bunch so much?

I wonder if new cars would help make the (R) run better... Those cars are God awful slow...

While new cars accelerate faster, I don't think it's enough of a difference to make you get to your destination much sooner. Occasionally, new trains will run on the (R) line, and as far as I know, the schedule stays exactly the same. The old trains on the (R) accelerate slowly, but their top speed is about the same.

While new cars accelerate faster, I don't think it's enough of a difference to make you get to your destination much sooner. Occasionally, new trains will run on the (R) line, and as far as I know, the schedule stays exactly the same. The old trains on the (R) accelerate slowly, but their top speed is about the same.

What about the slow closing doors on the (R)??

Don't you think that you'd want trains with faster-closing doors on busier and more crowded lines, because dwell times are longer and more unpredictable?

IDK, maybe I'm totally wrong.

Well with the (R) I just find that it seems to take longer to get going between stops. It's like the train pulls into the station, then folks get off and on and then you sit there and then finally the doors start to close, where as with a line like the (1), those trains move. In and out of the stops. And don't let anyone try to board an (R) train when the doors are closing... Even worse with the delays. The line is slow enough as it is and those R46s don't help. As for what line they're suitable for... They're suitable to be retired if I had things my way.

Archived