2012 MLB Thread

Shortline Bus

Hey guys. With Opening Day 2012, just a short time away, it time to start talking anything related to Major League Baseball related to this new '12 season. Anything baseball here all the way to the end of the World Series.

First the big news is that the Mets Owners Jeff and Fred Wilpon have agreed to a settlement in the Bernie Madoff case.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/york-mets-owners-agree-pay-bernie-madoff-victims-162-million-article-1.1046750

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just because the Yanks signed Andy Pettitte, people really think the Yanks are going to option Michael Pineda to the minors. Really? Just because he's not throwing hard on SPRING TRAINING? Then Matt Garza should be sent down to the minors too. The Yanks didn't trade Jesus Montero for a pitcher to pitch in the minors, I think he'll be fine.

Pettitte could do what Pedro did in 2009, take his time and help pitch in the playoffs. I don't think Andy's needed right now and is a great insurance option.

Hughes, still needs to prove himself and would at worst be moved to the pen. I'm hoping Robertson doesn't have any long term affects from that fall.

Pineda, could use some time to refine his pitching and adjust before being thrown into the fire. I'm a bit concerned about Nova being a sophmore now. He was blazing last year because he wanted to get mack to the majors, but that could just be adrenaline. That doesn't make him a lock for a repeat season.

Pettitte could do what Pedro did in 2009, take his time and help pitch in the playoffs. I don't think Andy's needed right now and is a great insurance option.

Hughes, still needs to prove himself and would at worst be moved to the pen. I'm hoping Robertson doesn't have any long term affects from that fall.

Pineda, could use some time to refine his pitching and adjust before being thrown into the fire. I'm a bit concerned about Nova being a sophmore now. He was blazing last year because he wanted to get mack to the majors, but that could just be adrenaline. That doesn't make him a lock for a repeat season.

Agree. Nova did pitch well against the Red Sox but he has gotten hit hard by the Jays and O's. Yes it's only March but it does make you worry a bit since this is his full sophomore season. I think he'll be fine, just waiting to see who goes to the rotation since CC and Kuroda are locks.

Actually if Andy is healthy and close to what he was in 2009-'10, that could be a great insurance policy. Especially now with the expanded playoffs and if any of the starters get hurt.

With Picthers now always on the disabled lists with these longer seasons, the "Pedro' role of having an older and experienced 6th type starter(I am not talking 'ancient' Jamie Moyer either lol)is now becoming more valuable than ever.

Agree. Nova did pitch well against the Red Sox but he has gotten hit hard by the Jays and O's. Yes it's only March but it does make you worry a bit since this is his full sophomore season. I think he'll be fine, just waiting to see who goes to the rotation since CC and Kuroda are locks.

Exactly. There's a big if on everyone including Garcia if his hand is still ok and if he can do what he did last year or else he'd be a mop up guy from the pen. Hughes, I fear might be babied because of how little innings he was in last year. So Nova at least doesn't need to be pressured into 'must impress' to stay in the rotation. If he does keep 'pressing', I fear he might injure himself like how he had to be taken out in game 5 last year.

Exactly. There's a big if on everyone including Garcia if his hand is still ok and if he can do what he did last year or else he'd be a mop up guy from the pen. Hughes, I fear might be babied because of how little innings he was in last year. So Nova at least doesn't need to be pressured into 'must impress' to stay in the rotation. If he does keep 'pressing', I fear he might injure himself like how he had to be taken out in game 5 last year.

I don't think Hughes will be babied, he's 25 years old going 26 on June. This has to be a make or break year for him, Yankees have given him too many chances, he better step it up.

smh @ Joba injuring his ankle while jumping on some trampoline.... did someone forget to tell this guy that he is well over 200 pounds???? Hughes may not be babied, but Joba sure as hell still acts like one big one......

two activities I never cared for & simply do not engage in, are arm wrestling & jumping on pogo sticks/trampolines.... I've personally witnessed 2 people break their wrist while arm wrestling, and 1 person turn their ankle while misstepping (or mis-jumping, however you wanna categorize it) on the jump.....

Yeah, I cringed when I heard what happened to Joba. I was kinda surprised the Yankees didn't try to null his contract for that injury. Well in the past the Yankees do tend to baby their pitchers over stupid innings limits. I don't get why they use innings and not pitch counts. If a guy throws 10 pitches an inning, then the guy is clearly better off than a guy that throws 20-30 an inning.

As for the Dodgers, $2 billion? Gtfo, that's insane for a soso team. Makes me wonder how much the Yankees would sell for (hypothetically speaking of course).

Yeah, I cringed when I heard what happened to Joba. I was kinda surprised the Yankees didn't try to null his contract for that injury. Well in the past the Yankees do tend to baby their pitchers over stupid innings limits. I don't get why they use innings and not pitch counts. If a guy throws 10 pitches an inning, then the guy is clearly better off than a guy that throws 20-30 an inning.

As for the Dodgers, $2 billion? Gtfo, that's insane for a soso team. Makes me wonder how much the Yankees would sell for (hypothetically speaking of course).

On the Joba injury i am also surprised Cashman and company did not void the cotract as well. It's all well and good if his 'job' was not a multi-million dollar contract to play on a trampoline. While we at it, why not Joba go play Fonzie and ride on a motorcycle lol?

And on the Dodgers, Magic's group did overpay by at least $500 million. The 2nd closest bid was around $1.5 Billion so the most the new upcoming Dodgers ownership group should have paid $1.75 Billion.

Now "Team Magic" have the following questions?

1)Do they stay and 'rebulid' their current home of Dodger Stadium in Chavez Ravine? Or move closer to Downtown LA near the Staples Center

(Lakers/Kings)?

2)Rebulid their minor league system.

3)Do they create a "Yes" aka Dodgers-owned regional sports channel with the Lakers with Time Warner? Or re-sign up with Fox Sports Net?

We shall see.

Opening Series 2012

Tokyo, Japan

Mariners 3 Athletics 1

Mariners beat the Athletics, 3 to 1, in Tokyo, Japan. Ichiro went 4 for 5 with an RBI in the eleventh inning, while Dustin Ackley drove in the Mariner's two other runs. Yeonis Cespedes made his major league debut for the Athletics, going 1 for 3 and playing CF.

Around the league:

- Omar Vizquel makes the White Sox roster as a utility infielder. The 44 year old will be playing in his 24th major league season.

- The Phillies signed IN/OF Joe Thurston.

Opening Series 2012

Tokyo, Japan

Mariners 3 Athletics 1

Mariners beat the Athletics, 3 to 1, in Tokyo, Japan. Ichiro went 4 for 5 with an RBI in the eleventh inning, while Dustin Ackley drove in the Mariner's two other runs. Yeonis Cespedes made his major league debut for the Athletics, going 1 for 3 and playing CF.

Around the league:

- Omar Vizquel makes the White Sox roster as a utility infielder. The 44 year old will be playing in his 24th major league season.

- The Phillies signed IN/OF Joe Thurston.

Heard some of the sports talk shows i.e Francesa complain the A's and M's open in Tokyo. MLB has been doing this for 10-plus years that every couple of seasons, 2 MLB teams debut the season in Japan. I do agree that the A's and M's should not have to play any more spring trainning(that so stupid)games as they play couple of more warm-up games before they play rest of regular season.

When airtravel could reduce travel time from instance flying between the western US-Japan from say 8-10 hours to 5 hours(same as traveling to Hawaii)MLB will have 1-2 expansion teams in Japan. It's coming within 10 years IMO.

That is just stupid. If they include Japan and Hawaii, then they should just split all teams into east vs west. Why make east coast teams suffer by going all the way to Japan for maybe 9-12 games? If they want to make it a sort of exhibition/true WS then have the champions from Japan play the WS winner here, don't include Japan into MLB's regular season.

Omar Vizquel is with the Blue Jays, not the White Sox. He went into the game on Tuesday against the Yankees.

As for Magic Johnson, Stan Kasten and the rest, well this is great for baseball that Dodgers were sold but the Dodgers are not worth 2 billion dollars. If the Yankees were sold for that price, then that's a different story then.

As for Joba, I don't question him playing around with his kid or whatever but on a trampoline? Really?? The Yanks aren't going to cut Joba though. He wasn't even going to pitch for them until June. He's not needed since Soriano and Robertson can set up Mariano. Ohh and David Aardsma a guy that the Yankees signed might be back sometime in mid July or early August if all goes well.

One more thing, who do you guys think makes the Yankees 5th spot, Hughes or Garcia? My money is on Hughes. And is anyone interested in reading R.A. Dickey's book?

If all goes well, I hope it's Hughes as this would be his 'last chance' to be a starter. He's obviously failed to live up to the hype as a starter (excluding the 2010 season). Who knows, maybe Hughes might be better in the pen like in 2009 if he flops again. I have slight doubts about Kuroda, so I wouldn't pencil in Garcia to the pen automatically unless he gets lit up badly before the season starts.

Omar Vizquel is with the Blue Jays, not the White Sox. He went into the game on Tuesday against the Yankees.

As for Magic Johnson, Stan Kasten and the rest, well this is great for baseball that Dodgers were sold but the Dodgers are not worth 2 billion dollars. If the Yankees were sold for that price, then that's a different story then.

As for Joba, I don't question him playing around with his kid or whatever but on a trampoline? Really?? The Yanks aren't going to cut Joba though. He wasn't even going to pitch for them until June. He's not needed since Soriano and Robertson can set up Mariano. Ohh and David Aardsma a guy that the Yankees signed might be back sometime in mid July or early August if all goes well.

One more thing, who do you guys think makes the Yankees 5th spot, Hughes or Garcia? My money is on Hughes. And is anyone interested in reading R.A. Dickey's book?

Well '1' thing is certain. The Owners of Sports clubs here in US and worldwide are now smiling as the cash registar just went into workout mode. I saw on CNBC this evening (3/28)and their sports business analyst Darren Rovell calling the deal a stupid overbuy. Not to mention Rovell now says the sale price for the Dallas Cowboys and NY Yankees North America's most expensive sports teams just went up to at least $3 Billion each.

PS. A song deciated to the new Owners of the LA "Magic" Dodgers.

Jamie Moyer, 49, Makes the Colorado Rockies Starting Rotation!

In defiance of age, odds, aches, pains, and lots of other things, Jamie Moyer has made the Rockies' rotation as the number-two starter and will make his season debut on April 7 in Houston, A.J. Cassavell of MLB.com reports.

It's tempting to point out that installing a 49-year-old as your two-man is a sign of uncommon desperation. It's also tempting to point out that Moyer is coming off Tommy John surgery and, in his last healthy season, put up an ERA of 4.84. It's further tempting to point out that Coors Field seems hardly the ideal environment for a pitch-to-contact hurler with fly-ball tendencies (who, lest it be forgotten, is 49 years of age).

But never mind all that. Moyer will have, one assumes, multiple chances to become the oldest pitcher ever to notch a win. To that end, he's got a long-standing knack for inducing weak contact, which could serve him well on Planet Coors, and pre-injury he was flashing the best control of his career. Sure, maybe there's a bit of "marketing romanticism" involved in the decision to entrust such a role to Moyer, but a nation says: whatever.

Linkie Moyer.

I'm not surprised that Moyer made the roster. He pitched extremely well in Spring Training. The fact that he's the number-two starter is more shocking! :D

Jamie Moyer, 49, Makes the Colorado Rockies Starting Rotation!

Linkie Moyer.

I'm not surprised that Moyer made the roster. He pitched extremely well in Spring Training. The fact that he's the number-two starter is more shocking! :D

If i not mistaken Moyer is now the oldest man(offically) ever to be on a MLB club at age 49. Previous record was Hall of Famer Sachetal Page with the Indians in the 1950's at age 48. That of course not counting Negro League players and those Latin stars (with no 'offical' birth certifcate)who might be as old as Mr. Moyer playing in MLB in the 1940's/'50's. Watch ESPN promote him like crazy. :D

If i not mistaken Moyer is now the oldest man(offically) ever to be on a MLB club at age 49. Previous record was Hall of Famer Sachetal Page with the Indians in the 1950's at age 48. That of course not counting Negro League players and those Latin stars (with no 'offical' birth certifcate)who might be as old as Mr. Moyer playing in MLB in the 1940's/'50's. Watch ESPN promote him like crazy. :D

Satchel Paige actually pitched one game in 1965 for the Kansas City A's at the age of 59. He wasn't the winning pitcher, but he got an ovation for hia accomplishments.

While most of this was before our time, there were utility players around the turn of the 20th century who've played around Moyer's age. In fact, just recently, Julio Franco retired a little over two months shy of his 50th birthday!

Satchel Paige actually pitched one game in 1965 for the Kansas City A's at the age of 59. He wasn't the winning pitcher, but he got an ovation for hia accomplishments.

While most of this was before our time, there were utility players around the turn of the 20th century who've played around Moyer's age. In fact, just recently, Julio Franco retired a little over two months shy of his 50th birthday!

Thanks for correction RTS. No wonder you have a A Grade point average in college. :D I meant playing 'reguarly' (not the 1 game in 1965)that Mr. Page was the offical oldest player in modern MLB history(since WWII)for a team until now in 2012 w/ Mr. Moyer and recently with Franco.

Good for Moyer! I got nothing but respect for him. Going 'strong' at that age? Very cool.

Well dunno how serious this Pineda shoulder problem is gonna be, but at least now the rotation is pretty much set with Garcia probably the 5th man. I did think that Pineda would've benefited from some time in the minors to fine tune his pitching. So hopefully if all is well, he will 'rehab' and work on his mechanics and then rejoin the team later on.

Archived