2012 MLB Thread

Shortline Bus

Surprised no one 'cept B35 talked about it after he was suspended.

The suspension was absolutely necessary, and the discipline was just right. Fidel Castro is widely despised in Miami, especially amongst the Cuban population who relocated there. Guillen saying he respected Castro while living in Miami and being the Marlins manager is an absolutely stupid move! That's like going to one of the Jewish communities or neighborhoods and expressing some "respect" for the Czars, Hitler, Mussolini, or Ahmadinejad. You just don't do that bull rubbish, period! Honestly, given where he works, I'm a little surprised he wasn't suspended for seven to ten games.

Freedom of speech doesn't excuse stupidity nor freedom of consequences, and Guillen's learning it the hard way.

Not to mention Guillen has lived in Fla.(off season) for at least 20 years so he should be aware that the Castro comment would get him in deep trouble.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is his exact quote:

“I respect Fidel Castro,” says Guillen, a Venezuela native who also says he respects Hugo Chvez. “You know why? A lot of people have wanted to kill Fidel Castro for the last 60 years, but that motherf**ker is still here.”

He doesn't say he respects Castro for his ideals, but because he's still alive after all these years of people trying to kill him.

Still shows a serious lack of judgement. If he wanted to use examples, he could've mentioned some historical figure like Teddy Roosevelt who got shot at, but survived and gave a friggin long speech right after. I don't care how he tries to sugar coat it, he likes Castro and Chavez - 2 very hated figures in this part of the world.

Damn, Hughes got bombed today. At this rate I think Hughes may as well be a reliever first before Garcia when Pineda comes back.

Damn, Hughes got bombed today. At this rate I think Hughes may as well be a reliever first before Garcia when Pineda comes back.

On the bright side, look at this David Phelps kid. So far he's been doing great -- just one home run, but he's gotten everyone else out, and decisively at that.

The way Hughes has fallen off, reminds me of how Chien Ming Wang fell off... I don't know what Hughes' problem is....

I don't know what his contract situation is, but if this keeps up, I wouldn't hesitate to throw his ass in the minors.... or even opt to get rid of the guy......

I have no tolerance for continual bad play out of someone with barely any signs of improvement.....

If you can't step up to the plate (pun unintended), then you don't belong in New York !

The Mets are surprising, 6-2 so far. With the action we've seen in the past few September's I won't comment much until the last day of the season.

As they say...

The Mets always find some way to snatch defeat out of the jaws of victory.

The Mets are surprising, 6-2 so far. With the action we've seen in the past few September's I won't comment much until the last day of the season.

Yes the Mets off to 6-2 start is a 'suprise." I was also talking about it from a league wide view in addition to that team in Queens, i.e Dodgers and Nationals.

Speaking of the Dodgers (and all of baseball), today is the 65th anniversary of Jackie Robinson breaking baseball's color barrier. As per tradition, all MLB personnel are wearing Jackie's #42 in his honor.

...And on Jackie Robinson Day, two great things happened to the Dodgers today.

1. Vin Scully returned to the booth after a few days of rest.

2. Walk-off win over the Padres thanks to a Dee Gordon single.

Hughes would do the team more good from the pen if he's only going to give 2-3 innings. I don't want to see the pen get worn out after the first month. He's been given way too many chances and if he can't even match his 2010 year, then he doesn't deserve to be a starter.

Flyball pitchers don't tend well to work well at Yankee Stadium, well yet alone the AL EAST. I'm saying this because all 5 AL East teams play in hitter parks, especially Yankee Stadium, Skydome, and Oriole Park at Camden Yards which yields tons of homers. I wouldn't send Hughes to the pen, I rather trade him. You can bring a better prospect if you were to trade Phil Hughes the starter than Phil the reliever. Relieving is way easier than starting, don't read too much on David Phelps' numbers. Any back end starting pitcher will be successful in the pen, (see Clippard, Tyler) of the Nationals. Back end starter with the Yankees and Nats, converted to reliever and earned a spot on the 2011 All Star Team.

...And on Jackie Robinson Day, two great things happened to the Dodgers today.

1. Vin Scully returned to the booth after a few days of rest.

2. Walk-off win over the Padres thanks to a Dee Gordon single.

saw that game, there was a confusing triple play there as well.

On tonight's game, did anybody see Voldemort's moonshot homerun? Voldemort is Raul Ibañez by the way.

saw that game, there was a confusing triple play there as well.

The home plate umpire was signalling foul when he really shouldn't have (or he looked like he was signalling foul. with his hands raised). A ground ball is only considered foul if it rolls past first or third in foul territory, or if it stops or is touched in foul territory before reaching that point. If it rolls back into fair territory and is touched there, it's a fair ball, which is what happened. That's why, when the ump changed his call, everyone was confused.

The home plate umpire was signalling foul when he really shouldn't have (or he looked like he was signalling foul. with his hands raised). A ground ball is only considered foul if it rolls past first or third in foul territory, or if it stops or is touched in foul territory before reaching that point. If it rolls back into fair territory and is touched there, it's a fair ball, which is what happened. That's why, when the ump changed his call, everyone was confused.

Speaking of that controversial 'triple play' here the replay. You be the judge. Here the announcers of Vin Scully(TV), Charlie Steiner(yes the same former ESPN and later Yankee Radio Announcer) and Padres Play-Play man Dick Enberg.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EUwprC9nM4

Flyball pitchers don't tend well to work well at Yankee Stadium.

Thank god AJ Burnett is GONE !!

On tonight's game, did anybody see Voldemort's moonshot homerun? Voldemort is Raul Ibañez by the way.

yup, saw it live on TV.... sweet upper deck shot to RF !

lol @ Jason Isringhausen... what's this now, his 4th team his last 4 seasons....

Anyway, for the acquisitions the Angels picked up this offseason, they sure aint showing me much....

Yeah and the Marlins, I don't think they are the favorites to take the NL east. Both teams were overhyped with their signings, but people are overstating how much better they are.

I'm loving the Ibanez signing. People can say he's washed up, but I say give the guy a shot. And for what $1 mil?* There's no downside there. If Nova keeps this pace, he'd be the solid #3 type starter. Kuroda for the moment and as a default is the #2. And Garcia would be #4.

*Last i heard Damon is in Cleveland now for ^$1 mil. A far cry from what Boras would've tried to extort from the Yankees to resign him (maybe $5mil). So glad they passed on him.

Aljer little correction. About 4-5 years ago, Skydome was renamed "Rogers Center Skydome" named after the largest cable company/sports cable channel in Canada that brought the team about a decade ago.

Thanks, I forgot about the renaming.

Ugh..Freddy Garcia. He did pitch like a no. 5 tonight but I'm just hoping Pettitte and Pineda get back. Speaking of Pineda, he threw 26 pitches in a bullpen session on Monday and reported no problems. Hopefully in 2-3 days he throws another bullpen and see when he get's to pitch his first rehab game if all goes well. Hope he uses the changeup like he did in the Spring.

Yeah my hopes in Garcia went down, but then again for some reason 'Painvano' always does well against the Yankees so the hitting falling flat certainly didn't help. I still say Hughes should move first unless he has a good 3rd outing.

I say Hughes should move to the pen if he has another horrible start. Maybe he should just be the 6th starter/long man in relief until he settles down. To show how some Yankee fans have 20/20 hindsight, callers are crying why the Yankees gave up on Ian Kennedy in the Curtis Granderson trade instead of Hughes.

Kennedy was often injured and it was possible he was not going to get used to the pressures of playing in NY. I don't question that trade at all as Kennedy probably would never live up to the hype. Hughes in 2010 at least had a brilliant year, but has seemingly regressed.

Concourse you make a very good comment on Kennedy. All i am saying in last couple of months and last few weeks, seeing how great he doing in Arizona many "Yankee" callers on both WFAN and ESPN NY1050 are second guessing that trade for Grandeson. That all.

Archived