The Official SPEED Thread

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's more like 45 MPH. Still, pretty a great run IMO. I thought that Roosevelt Av - Queens Plaza/21 St-Queensbridge was faster.REALLY? Wow. Were you looking at the speedometer?

Sometime ago TwoTimer did mention hitting 56 entering Newkirk... Those 68As have great braking ability.

Not sure how fast that (C) train flew in but it seemed pretty quick in person!

You should see City College station on the northern end of the southbound platform. Because of the columns, the (1) seems to explode into the station.

I guess I was summoned again. Yes I was monitoring this, but did want to see what others had to say how fast they "thought" they was going in comparsion to how fast I "know" the train was actually going. With that said, I have divided all these "numbers" into three catagories... (average refers to a train which is neither good or bad, parenthesis indicate specific areas or equipment in the system)

1. The 50+ club - places where an average train can get to without too much difficulty.

- 60th St tube southbound.

- 60th St tube northbound.

- entering Newkirk northbound (Brighton).

- between Roosevelt and Queens Plaza/Queensbridge southbound.

- 14st tube northbound.

- 14st tube southbound.

- Rutgers St tube northbound.

- between 36st and Atlantic Av northbound (R160)

1a. The 50+ additions - places where a good train can get to (fine T/O operation may be needed).

- between Herald Sq and West 4 southbound.

- between 145th and 161st middle track (Concourse).

- between Church and Newkirk southbound (R160).

- between Kings Highway and Sheepshead Bay southbound (R160).

- between 72nd and Times Square southbound (R142).

- Joralemon tube southbound.

If it weren't for the massive amount of timers in the river crossings, most of the tunnels have a long and steep enough grade for regular 50+ operation. TwoTimer, are you aware of the state of the 14th street tunnel before they installed CBTC? Was it timer ridden, like the rest of the East River crossings? Because obviously now, CBTC allows the (L) to travel as fast as the train motors will move them (aside from the speed restrictions at curvy sections of track), although I'm bummed that when the CBTC screen is operational, the speedometer display is on the screen, and the Edo Speedo isn't used, so you can't see it through the cab hinges =/

No R62's can reach 45-50 between 96-72. Part of the reasoning the older trains (R62/R32 are the usual suspects) "seem" faster is because there is less insulation and they rock more, therefore railfans think they're actually going faster. A R62 can rock like heck and sound all loud yet be only going 35-38, which generally is what they can get, only reaching 40 right outside of 72nd.

No R62's can reach 45-50 between 96-72. Part of the reasoning the older trains (R62/R32 are the usual suspects) "seem" faster is because there is less insulation and they rock more, therefore railfans think they're actually going faster. A R62 can rock like heck and sound all loud yet be only going 35-38, which generally is what they can get, only reaching 40 right outside of 72nd.

Yeah, that's true, although I find the R32s to be much louder than the R62s. Who knows...

Anyway, can you tell me how fast the s/b 4 Av express is from Atlantic Av to 36 St? That would be much appreciated.

Regular riders think the same thing as well.

I remember when I rode a R62 (4) train a few years ago (The line was mostly NTT for a couple years now) and these two teenagers got on and said "These old shits are faster than the new shits" Implying that the 62 is faster than the 142/A, which isn't the case.

Its crazy though as the B cars on the IRT NTT only one truck has motors where's with the 62/A all the trucks have motors, and yet the 142/A take off faster, it would have dope if all the trucks on the IRT NTT had motors though, the R160s seem faster.

Its crazy though as the B cars on the IRT NTT only one truck has motors where's with the 62/A all the trucks have motors, and yet the 142/A take off faster, it would have dope if all the trucks on the IRT NTT had motors though, the R160s seem faster.

It makes sense, understanding that the R142 motors have 147.5 hp while the R62 motors have 115.

Thou the 32s come third behind the 160s 'n 142s?

It makes sense, understanding that the R142 motors have 147.5 hp while the R62 motors have 115.

You also have to take into consideration that AC traction has a wider tractive effort curve through its speed range, which allows for more constant acceleration and for longer at the lower operating speeds. NTT's accelerate continuously to about 30 mph, while the older DC cars level out around 25 mph or so.