The Official SPEED Thread

You're lucky, I was rerouted to the Sea Beach two days ago because of a code failure on the west end (the entire west end from 9Av-62nd down in both directions). I didn't get to 40 at all, but 160s commonly enter 59th at 41.

A bit OT, but what's a code failure?

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The northbound <6> is more like a tease between Elder and St. Lawrence. It's fast, but only for a minute or two. The <4> between 170th and Burnside also does a good clip, but that's only a tease also.

The best tease must be the (A) between 59th and 42nd southbound, short but sweet.

The northbound <6> is more like a tease between Elder and St. Lawrence. It's fast, but only for a minute or two.

Yep; here's a clip I shot of that run back in November 2011. The fast run is at 7:50 or so to about 9:10 in the video. Seems like it was around 45 mph or so, perhaps maybe 50. <-- me guestimating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=591Kn6z_SpM

Just curious here: Why did the MTA decide to put all these timers that where mentioned above, and what purpose do they serve?

Most timers are there for a good reason, IMO. Some aren't. Feel free to ask about any specific timers and what they're for, and someone (possibly me or FanRailer, likely TwoTimer) can tell you.

Generally, timers are to:

a. Protect sharp curves

b. Protect switches (most timers can't tell if they're set for diverging routes)

c. Enforce speed limits on down-hill tracks, where a train going too fast might not be able to stop quickly enough if it ran a red signal and a train was ahead (potential rear-end collision). Example: almost all of the East River tubes have timers for this purpose.

A few timers are designed to keep trains from overrunning stations (e.g. Utica Av and Broadway Jct (A), and Jay St (A)(C), some others too). I don't like these timers; if a train overruns the station, it's the T/O's fault and not a safety hazard.

I personally would like to know about the timers on the n/b (2)(3) passing Christopher St; I can't seem to figure out what safety hazard is there. And why do some rarely-used switches need to be protected by timers, while others don't seem to?

Most timers are there for a good reason, IMO. Some aren't. Feel free to ask about any specific timers and what they're for, and someone (possibly me or FanRailer, likely TwoTimer) can tell you.

Generally, timers are to:

a. Protect sharp curves

b. Protect switches (most timers can't tell if they're set for diverging routes)

c. Enforce speed limits on down-hill tracks, where a train going too fast might not be able to stop quickly enough if it ran a red signal and a train was ahead (potential rear-end collision). Example: almost all of the East River tubes have timers for this purpose.

A few timers are designed to keep trains from overrunning stations (e.g. Utica Av and Broadway Jct (A), and Jay St (A)(C), some others too). I don't like these timers; if a train overruns the station, it's the T/O's fault and not a safety hazard.

I personally would like to know about the timers on the n/b (2)(3) passing Christopher St; I can't seem to figure out what safety hazard is there. And why do some rarely-used switches need to be protected by timers, while others don't seem to?

Jay St n/b is to enforce the 20mph curve before it, it clears exactly at 20. High St is the one that's there to protect from overruns. Broadway junction is to protect the 20mph switch at the end of the station, therefore its a 20mph timer (first one clears at 16, 2nd at 20).

Jay St n/b is to enforce the 20mph curve before it, it clears exactly at 20. High St is the one that's there to protect from overruns. Broadway junction is to protect the 20mph switch at the end of the station, therefore its a 20mph timer (first one clears at 16, 2nd at 20).

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for correcting me.

Broadway junction is to protect the 20mph switch at the end of the station, therefore its a 20mph timer (first one clears at 16, 2nd at 20).

Is that the S/B one in this video below

Also what is the clearing speed for the N/B?

Northbound, the clearing speed is 18mph, but being that it is a one-shot, nobody dare try and take it anywhere near 20. I take it at 10 so I can wrap it back up instead of taking it faster and having to maintain series.

At Dekalb Avenue, are there many timers going southbound? (All tracks)

I also don't fully understand what the timers cause to happen if you go too fast...

Edited by ThrexxBus

I also don't fully understand what the timers cause to happen if you go too fast...

It's just like running a regular red signal; the train will be "tripped" and the emergency brake will be activated.

With one-shot timers, the signal will be red until the timer clears; you have one shot to clear this timer or else you'll be tripped. With two-shot timers (more common; you'll see these when there are long strings of timers), the first signal will be yellow until the timer clears. The next signal after it will be red. Thus, if the train doesn't clear the first timer, it won't be tripped. It will still have a second "shot" to clear the second timer. If it clears the first timer, though, it will turn from yellow to green to let the T/O know that he/she has cleared it, and the second timer turns from red to yellow. The T/O, having cleared the first timer properly, now has a new "first shot" at clearing the second one.

To see some two-shot timers in action (go to 7:40):

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nS9VRXXTbxA&feature=plcp[/media]

Hope this helps, Threxx.

Edited by TheSubwayStation