The Official SPEED Thread

As was said, one-shots usually don't come in a long series along regular revenue track (they do appear in series in sidings and spurs however), but the two longest streaks are along the Sea Beach between 8Av and 59th Street, and they all are slooooooooow except the last one southbound. Even though they are listed as GT25, if you go 15 you will hit one of them. As echoed by my coworkers, the best stretch of two shots (which do what they are posted to do) are along the (A) between Broadway Junction and Euclid.

Manangement tells train operators to have the first signal in a two-shot be green before they pass it, and preferably a half a car to a carlength in front of them if possible (in some cases they are less than a carlength apart). If that is done, you will never hit a two-shot. The one shots they want clear a carlength ahead of you so you have some margin of reaction time in case they decided to act funny on you (which some do, like the one inside of Grant Av (A)). I dislike high-speed one-shots (you will find some on the West End and north of Jay on the (F) because if they decided to act up it's nearly impossible to not hit them, but you are expected to take them quickly. The fastest one-shot I know of is a GT35 on the CPW southbound if the switch is reversed (which it never is for a revenue train so I have never experienced it), in second place is a GT30 north of Jay on the (F).

The newest head scratchers is not the installation of new timers but more specifically the installation of new one-shots. They can add all the two shots they want and we will figure out the highest speed at which to take them (because we indeed have two shots and a decent margin of error), but the one shots we can't do that. They have a habit of putting these one-shots in the middle of stations, and the danger is on trains w/out door enables a T/O misjudging it, and either hitting the signal or having to stop the train halfway in a station and the conductor popping the doors.

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I can imagine that if I was a T/O, I really wouldn't like high speed one-shots. Once you creep up on one, you've reached the point of no return...What does get on my nerves, though, is when T/O's seem scared of two-shot timers. I mean, even if you don't clear it, you won't get tripped. That's why it's called a two-shot timer...The worst T/O's, IMO, will go crazy fast when there are only green signals and then slam on the brakes and go half the speed they're supposed to the second they see a two-shot timer...

And then there are the guys who can't even come close to maintaining a smooth, constant speed through a string of timers; they're always accelerating and then slamming on the brakes when they reach the next timer. Some railfans seem to think that a "good" T/O equals a "fast" T/O...They don't appreciate the skill of smooth operation...

Edited by TheSubwayStation

That sounds good to me, except I'd put the R68 ahead of the R46. Do you think the R142 would still beat the older equipment with field shunting enabled?

The reason I put the R46 in front of the R68 is because of Queens Boulevard Express (E)(F). Chief those R46s like to haul it out there. Don't get me wrong the R68 is a fast train, TwoTimer told me he thinks it is the fastest coming into Newkirk. But I can see where you are getting at.

About the R142, yes most definitely. The <5> White Plains Express completely HAULS it. The Lexington Av Express to. When there was still an R62 on the Lexington Av, that was a while ago, I got somewhat a side-by-side with the R142, and the R142 still seems to haul it. The R33 goes to work, but the R142 can still beat it. I remember one on the <7>, quite a ride.

And I forgot the R143, that would go behind the R32. Queens Boulevard again. They had R32s, R40s, R42s, R46s, R160s, almost the entire crew running on the Express. And that is where I saw the maxed out speed.

Edited by trainguy97

About the R142, yes most definitely. The <5> White Plains Express completely HAULS it. The Lexington Av Express to. When there was still an R62 on the Lexington Av, that was a while ago, I got somewhat a side-by-side with the R142, and the R142 still seems to haul it. The R33 goes to work, but the R142 can still beat it. I remember one on the <7>, quite a ride.

But Trainguy, you were apparently negative two years old when field shunting was removed from the R62s and R33s :lol:. That's what I'm asking about; the pre-1995 version of the R33.

Correct me if I'm wrong but some time ago you did mention hitting 56?

no, 52. I had a TSS told me he had a slant at 55, but the brakes on those trains were legendary as well. I also had a good 68A train southbound one day months ago and I said if I had it northbound I might have approached 55 on it as well, but of course someone else took it up north and I wasn't operating to test the theory. But it was my first train to enter Newkirk southbound higher than 45. Edited by TwoTimer

no, 52. I had a TSS told me he had a slant at 55, but the brakes on those trains were legendary as well. I also had a good 68A train southbound one day months ago and I said if I had it northbound I might have approached 55 on it as well, but of course someone else took it up north and I wasn't operating to test the theory. But it was my first train to enter Newkirk southbound higher than 45.

TwoTimer would you mind PM'ing me a schedule of your trains? I'd like to be on one of them and possibly ask you if I could see how you operate.

TwoTimer would you mind PM'ing me a schedule of your trains? I'd like to be on one of them and possibly ask you if I could see how you operate.

I remember the first time I got to go in an R40 cabin. Haven't been in one since. I am not sure how it works in the Transit, but the Metro North has really changed with their stringentness, if that is a word. I went on a train once for them with a friend who works there, and I opened the doors of an M7, talked over the station LOUDSPEAKER, blew the horn, and I got to take a seat in the front of a P32AC-DM. He said the next time I come back, he would take an M7 out for me so we could test run it.

When I came back though, he couldn't do it. Everyone needed a license to drive em now, and stuff just got more strict. I would never forget the day, and I would surely love to do it if in the future they become less stringent.

I remember the first time I got to go in an R40 cabin. Haven't been in one since. I am not sure how it works in the Transit, but the Metro North has really changed with their stringentness, if that is a word. I went on a train once for them with a friend who works there, and I opened the doors of an M7, talked over the station LOUDSPEAKER, blew the horn, and I got to take a seat in the front of a P32AC-DM. He said the next time I come back, he would take an M7 out for me so we could test run it.

When I came back though, he couldn't do it. Everyone needed a license to drive em now, and stuff just got more strict. I would never forget the day, and I would surely love to do it if in the future they become less stringent.

It's just as strict. The T/O or C/R could lose his job for letting anyone not employed by Transit (or that is a cop) into the Cab during regular operation. The only thing i would think of is if the T/O intentionally left his cab door open, which I've seen on multiple occasions, but I'm pretty sure they're not really supposed to do that either.

Ive gotten yelled at a couple times for having my cab door open for railfans to watch operations/RFW. Its actually a minor infraction but still don't want to get on the bad side of supervision. The only people allowed to be in the cab with a T/O without prior authorization from Control Center are...

1. Train Service Supervisor

2. Superintendent

3. Signal personnel

4. T/O in training

It's just as strict. The T/O or C/R could lose his job for letting anyone not employed by Transit (or that is a cop) into the Cab during regular operation. The only thing i would think of is if the T/O intentionally left his cab door open, which I've seen on multiple occasions, but I'm pretty sure they're not really supposed to do that either.

Ive gotten yelled at a couple times for having my cab door open for railfans to watch operations/RFW. Its actually a minor infraction but still don't want to get on the bad side of supervision. The only people allowed to be in the cab with a T/O without prior authorization from Control Center are...

1. Train Service Supervisor

2. Superintendent

3. Signal personnel

4. T/O in training

I have seen T/Os leave their cabs open. I was on an R42 (J), and a T/O was talking to his girlfriend, and he did leave it open. He was paying attention to the road ahead though. However, it all depends the train. Leaving the door open on an R46 or R68A, that would be interesting. I was a T/O in training on an R68A (Q), and he left the door wide open for some reason. Never figured out why. I can see why you could easily leave it open on an R42, possibly the R46 and R68A too, but the R68, R160? Swinging door is the problem.

Well my first yelling I was on a R46, the 2nd time R68A. Basically I pick my spots, and never allow it to be open at a hotspot.

That's what I've noticed every time I've seen a cab door open. Usually it'll be at some remote location on the system. For example, on the (G), but I don't really know if you can consider this "open", since it was really just cracked a bit.

Part One: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2qRWwH1Kgg

Part Two: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq478OR8r4M

Part Four: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsUd2DnQr24

Part Five: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqHPSfP5ypU

Edited by Fan Railer

I usually get to go in before the train starts moving from the terminal, (N) from CI, (Q) from 57, and there was this one time with an R40S (B) at 47-50. A very nice Female T/O who let me do almost everything possible in the cab. I am sure she could have gotten fired.

And now she will because you just posted that. Are you serious?

Okay, here's a question that I have about train speeds:

Why is the R142/A slower than SMEE trains (in their pre-1995 configuration with field shunting)? Is it just because the NTTs are capped at 55 MPH? In other words, if you removed the speed governor from an R142, would it be as fast as a redbird with field shunting? What about the R110A, as it was built before 1995?

And now she will because you just posted that. Are you serious?

Think about it: How many MTA employees do you think actually check this site, let alone this page? Secondly, how will they know who she is? For all you know, she could be retired!

No, its not a problem about posting information. Supervision and management knows this is still happens and they can't stop it without putting cameras in cabs (which will never happen). Its the pictures of this stuff posted on these sites that are more troublesome (you can take pictures, but I know people on here post it here as a proof type element... i.e. it didn't happen unless you post a pic of it because there have been lots of lies over the years).

There's an entire subagency (called policy and compliance) devoted to moral clauses in our hiring and rules... they search sites like this for any possible infractions and report them to management.

The only thing I do now is if I have a clear cab window, Ill remove whatever blockages to give a fairly clear RFW (obviously its not the same as looking out the storm door itself while peeking thru the single cab at the speedometer like in the old days, but its something). If you wish, I can PM a time when I'll be on a R32 again (obviously on the (A) as the (C) is uninteresting) and you'll get something.