The Official SPEED Thread

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If any of you guys feel like catching an R160 on the 6 Av express, the (F) will be running express in Manhattan next weekend. I wonder how fast that'll be... :)

Very slow, as it has to go over the wheel detectors that start at the north end of 14st. If you mean northbound, then it has to maintain 13mph until the train has travelled 600 feet out of the station, and that's the only downhill part of the run northbound.

Very slow, as it has to go over the wheel detectors that start at the north end of 14st. If you mean northbound, then it has to maintain 13mph until the train has travelled 600 feet out of the station, and that's the only downhill part of the run northbound.

Ah, so THAT's how they protect the switches...I was wondering about whether it was safe to have (B)(D) trains passing them at 45+ MPH...This makes sense. Are most other switches in the system protected by timers or wheel detectors? Edited by TheSubwayStation

Ah, so THAT's how they protect the switches...I was wondering about whether it was safe to have (B)(D) trains passing them at 45+ MPH...This makes sense. Are most other switches in the system protected by timers or wheel detectors?

That particular WD is 15mph (don't try to do 15 then chow). There used to be many more, as it was technology introduced after Robert Ray, but the vast majority of them have been taken out as they were faulty. If signal department can't even time regular timers correctly, how do you expect them to time something as delicate as wheel detectors?

That particular WD is 15mph (don't try to do 15 then chow). There used to be many more, as it was technology introduced after Robert Ray, but the vast majority of them have been taken out as they were faulty. If signal department can't even time regular timers correctly, how do you expect them to time something as delicate as wheel detectors?

How did the TA decide where to put GTs and where to put WDs? Yes, WDs are more precise, but they're expensive and unforgiving to slight T/O mistakes, so I hear.

I hope that the "obese 75-footer" crowd is reading this right now :lol:.

I ended up entering Sheepshead Bay at 49 (and a full service brake that I later threw most of it away), the first time I've ever gone past the posted speed limit of 45 for the area, most trains can't even get up that high anymore. This is the train I said if I had it northbound I might have pushed towards 55 going north into Newkirk. But boy can that thing stop, Entered Newkirk southbound at 48 and almost stopped the train short. Edited by TwoTimer

Whoa, ok, don't start calling us low level! Me, a resident of big-bad Bed-Stuy called it out!

Now now, don't go making my quote a blanket statement. You don't run around spraying graffiti on everything do you? Those were the people I was labeling as "low" level. Don't worry.