The Official SPEED Thread

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a R68 at 47 the other day n/b before slowing for timers. The last (and slowest) timer clears at 20, but up to 25 will allow a train to enter a station without tripping.

Manhattan bridge (span itself)

s/b Bway - varies, there's a couple that clears wrapped (and since its 160's they're around 30 at that point), there's a slow one midspan that only lets u through at 18-20, the rest clear as posted.

s/b 6Av - they all clear at 22-23.

n/b Bway - varies, there's a slow one on the downgrade that clears only at 18, the rest clear as posted.

n/b 6Av - clear as posted or a mile or two below.

The R40. All the way. But then again, you have to consider that the T/Os must have to follow the speed limit, so they could both be going at the same speed. But if I had to say, the R40.

I do remember how fast those babies went down the 59th Street tunnel, especially if you looked out any window.

Edited by GojiMet86

It could just be me, but it seems like the (L) can haul some serious ass.

Is there a specific stretch where it does run really fast? I'd imagine the East River tunnel would be the place, or coming out of Broadway Junction.

It could just be me, but it seems like the (L) can haul some serious ass.

Is there a specific stretch where it does run really fast? I'd imagine the East River tunnel would be the place, or coming out of Broadway Junction.

CBTC = No Timers necessary. ATO does wonders my friends. Trains will reach the max of 55 mph going through the East River Tunnels in both directions.

The R40. All the way. But then again, you have to consider that the T/Os must have to follow the speed limit, so they could both be going at the same speed. But if I had to say, the R40.

I guess 29MPH for the R40 and 31MPH for the R68A

Okay, the answer is that they're both going at the same speed, 30 MPH.

Here's another one:

Which train is going faster:

Edited by TheSubwayStation

BTW, in the IRT pic the trains don't reach their top speed until they've actually enterred the curve as it is slightly uphill until they enter Houston than race downhill (and its still amazing how TA never timed the curve).

Yeah, that's one of my favorite express runs, with that "surge" of speed going down the hill...I don't see why they would ever want to put in timers, as it's only 40 or so MPH. What I really don't understand is the timers at Christopher St... Edited by TheSubwayStation

Those are there probably to make sure you dont slam into the train in front of you, as you can easily be 45 at that point, even today. Timers extend the braking period to make sure you dont go flying around the curve into red (and then your leader).

In the good 'ol days pre 2009 as far as I remember from '97 or '98 to 2009 the trains to ride were the R-32,38,40S/M for the B division IMO they could all hit mid to upper 50's even 60+ in those hot spots along the (B)(D)(A)(F)(N) as far as I remember.Loved the Mods on the (B) the operators ran them good. For the A-Division hands down to those cats on the (3) formerly on the (4) they hauled 10-15 yr old R-62's on the (4) was the spotlight for me growing up in the 90's I'm unsure about speeds but they kicked ass up and down Lex as the R-142 and Kawa 142A's are doing todau but those 62's lightweight they didn't sway like the 46's in the B division but if felt they like were jolting or jumping from side to side when they were flying.I don't remember the Redbirds much because I didn't like them but I heard those were rockets.

Now in days things are a bit slower because of more timers but the spotlight to enjoy are the 32's and 46's flying in 42nd S/B,Nostrand S/B,14th S/B easily all the time at least 42mph at most possibly 48 although I remember a (C) operator came in 42nd flying at 47.

The Brighton is still decent with the 68/A's also 34th to W4 trains just come in at least 45.The A-division the 62's on the (3) are kicking ass up and down 7th Av/Broadway also the 142 and 142A's are getting things done but too me the R-62A's are sluggish although the brakes are very good.

In the good 'ol days pre 2009 as far as I remember from '97 or '98 to 2009 the trains to ride were the R-32,38,40S/M for the B division IMO they could all hit mid to upper 50's even 60+ in those hot spots along the (B)(D)(A)(F)(N) as far as I remember.

50 is sometimes possible in those areas, but definitely not 60 MPH...

In any case, the answer to my quiz was the (3) train, going at 42 MPH. The (D) train went 40-41 MPH. Still, it's close. I thought I could trick you guys into thinking that the (3) was much faster, as shorter cars generally look faster (because each car, each window, and each door pass you more quickly). That's part of why people think that 75-footers are so slow...

Okay, here's the next SPEEDy video for you guys: