The MBTA's Fare Hike & Commuter Rail Tickets

R62A 1991

So next week the MBTA is going to be raising their fares (I'm headed to NY the day before it happens). I e-mailed customer service a few weeks ago because of this: they say if you don't purchase a CR ticket before getting on the train, you'll get a $3 surcharge.

The problem? Many, but not all, of the outlying commuter rail stations do not have ticket machines, nor do they have ticket vendors to buy a ticket beforehand. My e-mail asked, what if someone boards at a station where there is no method to buy a ticket beforehand. The response was the surcharge will apply if you're headed to a Zone 1A station only, which is the rapid transit zone, and which is where most people are headed from the suburbs.

On my way into Boston today, I asked a conductor, and was given the same response: even if there's no vendor or machine at your originating station, you'll still be charged the extra price for an on-board fare.

What do you all think? It looks like this is going to happen, and the people it will mostly affect are those who aren't monthly or weekly pass holders, just the occasional ride here and there. Also, their one-way tickets have shorter expiration dates: they used to be valid for 6 months, now only 2 weeks. I've been lucky: my trips now often originate on the Red line instead of at the outlying stations, but that isn't always the case. One of the methods to solve this problem is coming in the Fall, their mobile ticketing system. But I think it won't be available on all lines just yet, only tested then rolled out in full later. I'd rather the surcharge be applicable at places where there is another way to buy your ticket first. But I guess this is something we'll have to deal with. What are your thoughts?

So next week the MBTA is going to be raising their fares (I'm headed to NY the day before it happens). I e-mailed customer service a few weeks ago because of this: they say if you don't purchase a CR ticket before getting on the train, you'll get a $3 surcharge.

The problem? Many, but not all, of the outlying commuter rail stations do not have ticket machines, nor do they have ticket vendors to buy a ticket beforehand. My e-mail asked, what if someone boards at a station where there is no method to buy a ticket beforehand. The response was the surcharge will apply if you're headed to a Zone 1A station only, which is the rapid transit zone, and which is where most people are headed from the suburbs.

On my way into Boston today, I asked a conductor, and was given the same response: even if there's no vendor or machine at your originating station, you'll still be charged the extra price for an on-board fare.

What do you all think? It looks like this is going to happen, and the people it will mostly affect are those who aren't monthly or weekly pass holders, just the occasional ride here and there. Also, their one-way tickets have shorter expiration dates: they used to be valid for 6 months, now only 2 weeks. I've been lucky: my trips now often originate on the Red line instead of at the outlying stations, but that isn't always the case. One of the methods to solve this problem is coming in the Fall, their mobile ticketing system. But I think it won't be available on all lines just yet, only tested then rolled out in full later. I'd rather the surcharge be applicable at places where there is another way to buy your ticket first. But I guess this is something we'll have to deal with. What are your thoughts?

This sucks. At least in NY, the (MTA) would have "compromised" and would have installed the TVM machines and only charge if the machines are out. As someone living in NYC's Northern most suburus in upstate Dutchess County, NY using Metro North, while techincally the (MTA) now has the same policy it's $5 for buying onboard unless you have a disabled/elderly discount card, most of the conductors will do this. They allow the riders at a station where TVM is not working to ride to the same station for free and allow them to buy it there.

Again the "T" officals in Boston dropped the ball on this one. They could have allowed the riders to ride without a fee if station does not have a station agent or TVM to buy tickets until a machine was installed. Buddy if you live up there, maybe contact the local Boston papers and tv news station and even political officals to see if this stupid policy could be changed.

The fare incease is still better then the service cuts that would have happened if the fare incease didnt happen.

Very true. Here in metro NYC IMO i would rather the fare had went up to $2.50 basic subway/bus fare(still happening by early in 2013)sooner. That way many of the doomsday cuts in June 2010 would have never happen. In Toronto, it already $3.00.

Very true. Here in metro NYC IMO i would rather the fare had went up to $2.50 basic subway/bus fare(still happening by early in 2013)sooner. That way many of the doomsday cuts in June 2010 would have never happen. In Toronto, it already $3.00.

remember also cash fares in most of the suburban systems in Toronto cost more then $3.00 cash fare!

I think MTA should have increase fares vs doing those June 2010 doomsday cuts!

The problem? Many, but not all, of the outlying commuter rail stations do not have ticket machines, nor do they have ticket vendors to buy a ticket beforehand. My e-mail asked, what if someoe boards at a station where there is no method to buy a ticket beforehand. The response was the surcharge will apply if you're headed to a Zone 1A station only, which is the rapid transit zone, and which is where most people are headed from the suburbs.

There is a loophole around that MBTA will allow you to pay or buy tickets with your phone so get a smartphone and soon kiss that surcharge goodbye!!!

There is a loophole around that MBTA will allow you to pay or buy tickets with your phone so get a smartphone and soon kiss that surcharge goodbye!!!

a) the smartphones are not to go active until the fall

B) Not everyone has a smartphone.

a) the smartphones are not to go active until the fall

B) Not everyone has a smartphone.

Starting fall GET ONE THEN CAN IT !!!!! Excuses for not getting one these days are now BS. With this in place MBTA is no longer obligated to build expensive ticket machines to cater to a few who still dont have a smartphone. Starting fall use the loophole then stop complaining.

This is just a temporary problem as most ppl are getting smartphones anyway therefore its an optional problem use the loophole or comeup with the sorry excuse I have no phone. Most ppl with a job can afford one. Why should casual riders not pay more anyway? They aren't loyal riders if you want perks you need to be a frequent traveller plain and simple. MBTA is broke so think in their shoes.

Starting fall GET ONE THEN CAN IT !!!!! Excuses for not getting one these days are now BS. With this in place MBTA is no longer obligated to build expensive ticket machines to cater to a few who still dont have a smartphone. Starting fall use the loophole then stop complaining.

I remember a comment on SILive saying "I can't find the ramp for the S66. (at St. George) I probably need one of those SmartPhones, but if I could afford one, I wouldn't be riding the S66".

The same point applies here.

I remember a comment on SILive saying "I can't find the ramp for the S66. (at St. George) I probably need one of those SmartPhones, but if I could afford one, I wouldn't be riding the S66".

The same point applies here.

total BS you are a kid of course you cant afford one but if you by with contract most are less than$50 the data plan is chump change compared to the money you will save via exclsive coupon apps and several other things you wont need to buy as a result so this doesn't apply to this case. You don't need to be rich to get one.

The policy has been changed, according to the MBTA's Website:

On Board Fares

• A $3 surcharge will be added to tickets purchased on-board all trains departing from North, South and Back Bay Stations.
  • Monday through Friday customers will be charged $3 surcharge by the conductor when a ticket is purchased on board from a station with a MBTA ticket vending machine or where a Ticket Vendor is open.
  • A list of these stations can be found on the MBTA website here:http://www.mbta.com/...ales_locations/

This is similar to the current fare structure, except now conductors will be enforcing the Ticket Vendor rule on Weekdays.

It's ridiculous that the MBTA still hasn't invested in ticket machines on a widespread basis on the commuter rail system.

well now at this point they no longer need to as most ppl already have smartphones to bypass the fee starting fall anyway. So they dont need to waste money on machines when they are already useless unless ur still peddling a shit phone. more ppl will simply just use this as an excuse to buy the iphone 5

Archived